Great History Books (covering more than one era)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Aug 26, 2001
Visit site
The Harper Encyclopedia of Military History From 3500 B.C. to the Present by R. Ernest Dupuy and Trevor N. Dupuy

Who's Who in Military History From 1453 to the Present Day by John Keegan and Andrew Wheatcroft,

The Macmillan Dictionary of Military Biography by Axelrod, Alan & Charles Phillips

The Timetables of History - Bernard Grun what's going on in politics, art, religeon and the public
Arming the Fleet - Spencer Tucker on naval cannon from the first to post-US Civil War
Rise and Fall of the Great Powers - Paul Kennedy the cost of empire
What If? vol 1 and 2 - ed by Robert Cowley uhmm - what if
The Cousins' Wars - Kevin Phillips an analysis of the English Civil War, American Revolution and American Civil War - dry but good

First time I've been in the history forum, but I'm bored at work, and I thought I'd contribute.

I 'm going to recommend Guns, Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond again, because it is a unique book. I first read it after seeing a recommendation on the EU1 forum many moons ago. It is sort of about the impact of geography on the development of civilisation and history, but its also about so much more than that.

I'd also like to recommend Simon Schama's History of Britain series. Simon Schama is Professor of the History of Art at Yale, IIRC. The three volumes come out of his TV series for the BBC, and tend to concentrate on the most significant characters and events from 4000BC to present. Why should they be on this list? Well, they are the best books I know on British history.

Last edited:
Originally posted by UberYuber
Owen,

Is Guns, Germs, and Steel the book that has a chapter about why the North American Natives weren't the ones conquering Spain, or am I thinking of another work??
I was about to go and check, but I think my flatmate has borrowed it. All the same, yes, I'm pretty sure that's the one.

Originally posted by UberYuber
Owen,

Is Guns, Germs, and Steel the book that has a chapter about why the North American Natives weren't the ones conquering Spain, or am I thinking of another work??

Yes, that's the book. It's a great book too.

I've just read "The origins of the second world war" A. J. P. Taylor, a really interesting book

"The decline and fall of the Roman Empire" by Edward Gibbon is also interesting,

I'm the only one in my family that hasn't read Guns, Germs and Steel so it looks like i'll have to read it.