+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hearts of Iron compatibility

Question Hearts of Iron compatibility

Is "Hearts of Iron" playable with Windows Vista?

Lt. General
    EU3 CompleteVictoria: Revolutions

Why it shoudn't be?
    ¡Ay, caramba!
    I'm going down to the Great river of Mississippi!!!!!

Most likely.

In EU3, you need to copy one of the DX9 .dlls in order to play the game in Vista. No biggie.

53 games registered

200k clubA Game of DwarvesArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in Motion
    Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: Chronicles
    Divine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineKing Arthur IILead and GoldMagicka
    Majesty 2Majesty II CollectionMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeRome GoldSemper FiSengokuSupreme Ruler: Cold War
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband
    Warlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the RosesCK2: Holy KnightEU Rome Collectors Edition
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica
    Crusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: Charlemagne

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffammable View Post
    Most likely.

In EU3, you need to copy one of the DX9 .dlls in order to play the game in Vista. No biggie.
    I just installed EU3:IN onto Vista and it ran perfectly first time, the only crash I've encountered was when I tried to run the game on my HDTV so obviously it didn't like it very much.

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDarkest HourDeus Vult
    East India CompanyEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneThe Kings CrusadeMarch of the EaglesVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Semper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis
    Mount & Blade: WarbandV2 BetaV2 AHD Beta500k club

I imagine it will be. Most Windows 'updates' (which really Vista should not be considered as) allow for you to play games aimed at previous versions.

Studio Manager Paradox Dev Team Johan's Avatar
    Crusader Kings II

Blog Entries
    should work fine.. about 50% of the developers machines are vista.

Johan Andersson
    Studio Manager at Paradox Development Studio AB - Follow me at Twitter!

"A patch is never late! Nor is it ever early. It arrives precisely when I mean it to do!"

For our Patching and Expansion Policy, read here...

Read here why EU4 requires steam!

200k clubHoI AnthologyCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus Vult
    EU3 CompleteFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengoku
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisCK2: Holy Knight
    EU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Conquest of Paradise

Quote Originally Posted by Palisadoes View Post
    I imagine it will be. Most Windows 'updates' (which really Vista should not be considered as) allow for you to play games aimed at previous versions.
    Plus, unlike when EU3 came out Vista is now around and Paradox knows it's quirks, so they can take it into account when making the game. Most of the problems EU3 has had vith Vista (not that I've experienced any problems myself) are due to Windows making stupid design decisions with Vista, that Paradox couldn't possibly have forseen before it came out.
    "It is because people's minds are not logical and enlightened that the Empire is in disorder. If the country is not properly ruled there will be no end to rebellions. And if anyone wishes to get the knowledge of how to rule it properly he will only find it in books. That is why the publication of books is the beginning of beneficient rule."

- Tokugawa Ieyasu

Minister of Peace for Europe Moderator Grosshaus's Avatar
    Europa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided

Most likely.

I didn't need to do anything to be able to play EU3 with my 64 bit Vista besides install the game.
    Pity comes for free, but jealousy must be earned - Lauri Tähkä

Hearts of Iron II beta AAR Guardian of Democracy

Quote Originally Posted by Grosshaus View Post
    I didn't need to do anything to be able to play EU3 with my 64 bit Vista besides install the game.
    Not everyone has to, but in the EU3 forums there literally a billion threads that go like this:

OP: "Please help, I just bought the game, and it says "d3dx9_35.dll cannot be found" and the game refuses to start".
    Guy1/Mod: "Register your game and you will able to see the solution in the tech support forums"
    OP: "Thanks I will"
    Guy2: "Or you could just download the dll file and copy it into your system folder."
    Guy3: "This problem is caused by having DX10, which doesn't have the file (DX9 has)"
    Guy4: *Random bashing of Microsoft/Vista/DX*

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...d.php?t=397217 <-- here's the latest.

What I can't understand is people unable, or more so unwilling, to fiddle around with their computer and try and fix the problem themselves. If you are missing a nail you go out and get one. If you are missing a .dll you go out and download either the .dll on the raw or a program associated with it (DX9).

I mean the worst thing that could happen is, well apart from your monitor blowing up or the OS refusing the start, that some other programs refuse to work. That's just a risk you need to take. Darnit!

200k clubAchtung PanzerArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings II
    Commander: Conquest of the AmericasDeus VultEast India Company CollectionElven Legacy CollectionFor The Glory
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneLegioEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Mount & Blade: WarbandV2 BetaEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Blog Entries
    The bigger question is if HoI3 will be compatible with Windows 7.

Not everyone has to, but in the EU3 forums there literally a billion threads that go like this:

OP: "Please help, I just bought the game, and it says "d3dx9_35.dll cannot be found" and the game refuses to start".
    Guy1/Mod: "Register your game and you will able to see the solution in the tech support forums"
    OP: "Thanks I will"
    Guy2: "Or you could just download the dll file and copy it into your system folder."
    Guy3: "This problem is caused by having DX10, which doesn't have the file (DX9 has)"
    Guy4: *Random bashing of Microsoft/Vista/DX*

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...d.php?t=397217 <-- here's the latest.

What I can't understand is people unable, or more so unwilling, to fiddle around with their computer and try and fix the problem themselves. If you are missing a nail you go out and get one. If you are missing a .dll you go out and download either the .dll on the raw or a program associated with it (DX9).

I mean the worst thing that could happen is, well apart from your monitor blowing up or the OS refusing the start, that some other programs refuse to work. That's just a risk you need to take. Darnit!

It's a not a risk you need to take. You just follow the advice from Johan (in this case stickied in the Rome forum):

Quote Originally Posted by Johan View Post
    The game and the demo requires the latest version of directx9 to be installed on your pc. (Actually, one from november is good enough..) The CD the game comes on contains the latest redistributables for it, but for those of you that may want the demo or the gg [Gamersgate] version, you can get it from here, unless you already have it.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

or

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en
    It takes two minutes to download and install.
    "Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.” Sun Tzu

“Where force is necessary, there it must be applied boldly, decisively and completely. But one must know the limitations of force; one must know when to blend force with a maneuver, a blow with an agreement.” Leon Trotsky
    potski's HOI3 OOB Editor
    potski's HOI3 Province Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Jayavarman View Post
    The bigger question is if HoI3 will be compatible with Windows 7.
    Will it work on my Windows 3.1???

Second Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by The Andy-Man View Post
    Will it work on my Windows 3.1???
    certainly not, but dos 1.05 should be fine, its already the fixed version

I haz Windows 98.

Not Really, i only want Vista for 1 Reason. DirectX 10
    If your ship takes 300 planes to sink it, you built a fantastic ship

Hearts of Iron IIIVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeRome: Vae Victis500k club
    War of the Vikings

Since nearly every program that didn't run under Vista works under Windows 7, I am pretty sure that HoI 3 will work under it.

Damn should have told them that I also run Windows 7 beta on my PC, maybe that would have improved my betachances

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineMagickaMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengokuSupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandCK2: Holy Knight
    EU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event
    EUIV: Conquest of ParadiseCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham

Blog Entries
    Most likely.

Not true. It works fine out of the box.
    Fear not, for I am with you; Be not dismayed, for I am your God. -Isa 41:10

For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life. -John 3:16
    -------------------------------

My machine specs: i7 2600 @ 3.4 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, Radeon HD6870 with 1 GB RAM, Windows 7 64-bit

No problems running HoI2: Doomsday on Vista x64 here.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Deth View Post
    No problems running HoI2: Doomsday on Vista x64 here.
    It's different engine (No pixel shader 2.0 or any of that stuff).

It's different engine (No pixel shader 2.0 or any of that stuff).
    The original poster asked about Hearts of Iron. HoI2 is a closer engine to HoI1.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Deth View Post
    The original poster asked about Hearts of Iron. HoI2 is a closer engine to HoI1.
    True that, now that I look closer

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast