+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast

Thread: The Shortest Road to Damascus

200k clubCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: Chronicles
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionRome GoldVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House Divided500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

General_Grant - Thanks! You are right that the flag is a bit plain. I take that flag is Saladin's eagle? Doing some research I found that caliphs of Córdoba used a white eagle on a green field (before Saladin), I might try to scale it to flag-size.

Didaa - They'll think twice before warning me again

enkhuush - As soon as those pesky Ottos stop guaranteeing everyone in Arabia.

stnylan - Still hoping for Austria to DoW them sooner or later.

PrawnStar - At my current land tech the only foraging my troops are used to is the take-away around the corner

gabor - To be fair, in this game it's been the Ottomans who forced Venice to release Crete. Better in my hands than in theirs

Enewald - I can't stop now

Sweboy - Both will be dealt with, eventually.

Hitmanalex - They just keep blobbing, faster than me

Storey - Persia was already hating me beyond repair, and I didn't have any money to soften them. My only OE containment for now is my alliance with Golden Horde.

demokratickid - Mamluks next!

Kami - Haasa is guaranteed by the OE

Delex, matt12th, humancalculator - Thanks and welcome!
    On-hold: Mamma Mia! The AAR
    Completed: Europe is our dancefloor | The Shortest Road to Damascus | No Iron, One Lion, Maybe Zion
    Tintero

The July AARlander is out now, no excuse not to read it: Thread | PDF | iBooks

Didn't notice the OE part.

Just ally Austria then (that should be easy as a muslim warmongerer ...)
    Ottomania: A Muslim quest

Read it or you will pay in blood

200k clubCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: Chronicles
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionRome GoldVictoria 2

Coastal road to Alexandria, desert road to oblivion
    1461-70

With the Ottomans having Egypt as target of their mission I have no choice but to attack The Mamluks before they do. Luckily the core I had in Hawran lets me Dow in October 1461 at only 1 stability loss. All of the Mamluks' allies and guarantors join, Golden Horde and Khiva desert me. That's me and Khorasan against Mamluks, Oman, Najd, Swahili and Tunisia, nothing to worry about since neither of them bothered to turn up in the last war. In fact it offers me the chance to settle old scores with Najd for free. The Golden Horde renews our alliance shortly afterwards.

The war is pretty unremarkable. I take unfortified Najd in a separate peace in February 1462 and destroy the last 6K Mamluk force in Cairo in March. After that it's just a case of careful deployment of small siege armies across Egypt and patience.

While I wait for the sieges I get an unfortunate call to arms from the Golden Horde in early 1463. They've DoWed Qara Qoyunlu, which would have been fine had I not built up my relations with them in preparation for my war with Persia. Too late to insult/cancel RM and MA, so I have to dishonour the alliance, losing an ally, prestige and a great opportunity to take Haasa outside their OE guarantee It is annoying that with so many Christians on the west and Ming already on the east the GH decided to attack QQ just now.

The only positive side to this is that now I have nothing to lose by attacking Crete (still only guaranteed by Georgia) The island nation is DoWed and swiftly annexed in June 1464. The final sieges in deep southern Egypt are won and peace with the Mamluks obtained: their four northernmost provinces. The corridor to Alexandria is now open! And WE was carefully controlled this time, stands at only 1.60

Libya secures the route to expand west. No other Egyptian province is of particular interest to me now, with the exception of Cairo perhaps, for which I'd need to obtain the rest of Egypt.

After this expansion/annexation spree BB has shot up over 10, a few years of peace and trade are in order. High BB and lack of powerful allies predictably bring the OE knocking with an insult soon enough. Luckily a renewed royal marriage with GH makes the willing to accept a new alliance, directing the wolves' attention elsewhere.

In 1467 all my Iraqi provinces become cores, and Iraqi culture is accepted. With two cores in the gulf now I could start building an Indian Ocean fleet if I wanted to, but there is no immediate need at the moment.

I also notice with surprise that Fars is a CoT. These pesky Persians didn't have enough with Hormuz it seems! Oh well, it's not as wealthy as Alexandria but my mercantilistic policy gives me easy access... and money. For the first time I can stop relying on minting to maintain a decent army, although the already too high 11% inflation will hurt for many years.

In the meantime my former enemies are on full downward spiral. Persia has lost her eastern possessions to a Khorasan and secessionist Durrani...

... and the Mamluks are beaten up by Tripoli for money (I missed a good chance there to warn Tripoli, plus I had forgotten to cancel the MA they still had through my lands), and later by rebels. Funj eventually secedes in 1469.

What I wasn't expecting is Funj turbo-annexing the Mamluks 14 months later

I thought non-pagan turbo-annexation wasn't allowed any more. In any case, it's the most ignominious end for the Mamluks I've seen, and it highlights how devastating recruitment time proportionally increased by WE can be.

This has also two positive implications: Cairo is now easier to obtain as non-capital province, and the OE utterly failed in their mission (they quickly switch to a harmless 'Accumulate money')

Time to think about the next target...

Syria in 1470

Provinces: 24
    At peace.
    Allied with Korashan, Golden Horde. CB on OE.
    Stability: +2
    BB: 6.60
    Monarch: Sultan al-Mu'azzam II (7a/4m/6d)
    Army: 26 (12/14/0)
    Navy: 14 (0/0/6/8)
    WE: 0

Neighbours

Mamluks: 1250-1470 R.I.P.

Funj: No allies. Guaranteed by Swahili.

Tripoli: Allied with Yemen, Najd, Algiers and Qara Qoyunlu. CB on Tunisia. Guaranteeing Tunisia.

OE: Allied with Bosnia, Serbia, Golden Horde, Nogai. CB on Hungary. Guaranteeing Yemen, Haasa, Oman, Hedjaz and Iraq. At war with Lithuania*, Hungary and Bavaria.

Najd: Allied with Iraq, Tripoli. CB on Syria, Oman. Guaranteeing Iraq. Guaranteed by Algiers, Oman, Yemen and Fez.

Iraq: Allied with Najd. CB on the OE, Syria. Guaranteed by OE, Yemen, Hedjaz, Oman, Najd, Algiers, Fez. Warned by Syria.

Haasa: Allied with Persia, Oman and Qara Qoyunlu. CB on Syria. Guaranteed by OE, Oman, Algiers, Fez, Persia and Tunisia. Guaranteeing Iraq, Tunisia. Warned by Syria.

Hedjaz: Allied with Oman. CB on OE and Yemen. Guaranteed by OE, Algiers, Fez. Guaranteeing Iraq.

Khorashan: Allied with Syria, Kazakh, Durrani and Kashmir. CB on Persia and Delhi.

Qara Qoyunlu: Allied with Tripoli, Haasa and Khiva. CB on OE, Georgia, GH, Persia and TE. Guaranteed by Persia and GH. Warned by Syria.

Persia: Allied with Haasa. CB on OE, Syria, Khorasan, Qara Qoyunlu and Khiva. Guaranteeing Haasa and Qara Qoyunlu. Guaranteed by Durrani. Warned by Syria.
    Completed: Europe is our dancefloor | The Shortest Road to Damascus | No Iron, One Lion, Maybe Zion
    Tintero

Quote Originally Posted by Kami View Post
    Just ally Austria then (that should be easy as a muslim warmongerer ...)
    I doubt Austria would have me, but I'll check next time.
    Tintero

Cisár všetkých Slovákov demokratickid's Avatar
    Deus VultEuropa Universalis 3Hearts of Iron IIIVictoria 2Mount & Blade: Warband

Blog Entries
    Well, it seems you must take Funj now, they're just ripe for the plucking!
    Current AAR: Das Vereinigte Königreich von Mitteleuropa - Last Updated: October 19, 2011
    My illustrious Inkwell is right here for your enjoyment!
    AWARDED: Irish Shamrock Cookie by King_Richard_XI
    I'VE BEEN CANONIZED

Cities in Motion 2Crusader Kings II500k clubEuropa Universalis IVEUIV: Wealth of Nations
    EUIV: Conquest of Paradise

Funj is a lot easier than the Mamluks.

Also, Najd withouth Najd is really funny

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3
    Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteHearts of Iron IIIVictoria 2500k club

Blog Entries
    Let's hope you crush Funj quickly
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum (If you want peace, prepare for war) - Pvblivs Flavivs Vegetivs Renatvs

Stopping the 40 day plan: A French 1914 AAR Completed
    pAARallel Universes: A Germany 1936 Grand Campaign Abandoned

WW Big Wins: LXV, LXXI, CXXVII, CXXIX, CXXX, CXXXI, CXXXII
    WW Lite Wins: XCVII (sub win), CXIX, CXXI, CXXVII, CXXXVI, CCVIII, CCXXXVIII

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteHearts of Iron IIIEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Victoria 2EU3 Collectors EditionEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Next target? No brainer!

Funj, Cairo is a beautiful prize and if you do build an Indian Ocean fleet what about taking Zanzibar from Swahili? The non core COT penalty will hurt your external trade but it might be worth having.

Apparently I need to buy some more gravel.

My AARs: EU3 England, Golden Horde, France, Iroquois, Castile / EU2 Finland / My Inkwell

"Sunset Invasion isn't ASB - it's just Prawnstar playing CK2" Athalcor
    "If EU3 had exiled prawn-like aliens he'd be the first one to do a WC with them..." aldriq
    "You were prawn under a conquering stAAR!" Arakhor

Quote Originally Posted by aldriq View Post
    Funj eventually secedes in 1469.

What I wasn't expecting is Funj turbo-annexing the Mamluks 14 months later

I thought non-pagan turbo-annexation wasn't allowed any more.
    From memory (and I am sure someone will correct me here), if a nation rebels from it's masters (not released as part of a peace treaty), they start at war. If either of the two nations manages to completely occupy the other, they can annex them entirely in one shot.

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCrusader Kings II
    Darkest HourDeus VultDungeonlandEast India Company CollectionEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III Collection
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneImpireEuropa Universalis III: In NomineIron Cross
    Leviathan: WarshipsThe Kings CrusadeMagickaMajesty II CollectionMarch of the Eagles
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeRome GoldSemper Fi
    SengokuThe Showdown EffectVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisWarlock: Master of the ArcaneWar of the RosesEU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise

poor mamluks, went down so fast....

Funj and Zanzibar being allied seems like a good opportunity to get early expansion along the East African coast.

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition

well the war seemed all too easy.
    Funj? What is Funj anyway?
    that was shocking, no doubt, but your next war will be even easier!
    as for Mamluks going down so swiftly, well that's what they did in real life too, didn't they?

Well things have gone pretty decently while I've been away. Syria is looking nice, especially given that the neighbours are all collapsing. I just hope you don't decide to keep up with the Joneses.

If you want to reform the old Caliphate, shouldn't you aim at taking Cairo and the rest of Egypt and then head West towards Tripoli or who is your closest western neighbour. I am guessing that the east can wait a while since Aragon, Castille and Portugal might start heading to northern Africa.

Or is the Easter neighbours much more dangerous to you?

Cairo - Then Mecca ... It is soon time for the OE to be dismantled (They must get into different wars?

Europa Universalis 3For The GloryHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Europa Universalis IV

There seems to be a drumbeat from the readers for Cairo being the next target. It makes sense but it is a bit pedestrian. How about walking on the wild side and making an amphibious attack on someone in India? Can’t say I have a good reason for it other than it would be a challenge.

Joe
    The way to a woman's heart is through her stomach.

Desert Tides or how I learned to swim in quicksand Adventure
    A Tall Tale Told on a Cold Night Fantasy

How does your sliders, research and economy look like ? Are you about ready to westernize?

If so Italy could be a promising target.

BTW i think you can improve faith among you and your golden horde allies by attacking Georgia - A nation which have no stab hit and GH has an interest in fighting... Allies are much more prone to accept call to arms against heathens.

Edit: and IMO production value (tech) isn't high enough to conquer India just yet..

Quote Originally Posted by Kami View Post
    If so Italy could be a promising target.
    According to the opening statement Italy is not on the cards yet. Overall aim was to conquer the land from Spain to India via Northern Africa (I assume). Still a caliphate with it seat in Rome would be pretty cool!

demokratickid, humancalculator, PrawnStar - Looks like the girls just wanna have Funj Sorry, couldn't resist Seriously though, is Cairo worth 3 stab points? After all they are not going anywhere, better to warn them and wait until they DoW Ethiopia, which I imagine they'll do sooner or later. On the other hand Najd is currently not being guaranteed by the OE, and attacking them would get me Iraq and Tripoli in the same war...

Didaa - Najd has moved capital to Qatar

Azugal - OK, that makes sense, I guess it models a different dynasty/faction of the country taking over the whole nation. It explains why Funj has now cores in all their provinces.

Enewald - No tears for them, Egypt belongs in the true Caliphate, mine

Rabid - You meant Swahili? Actually Zanzibar is not a CoT in this game, for some reason Mozambique is the regional CoT. I don't think I want to go so far south.

gabor - It seems Funj did hold a sultanate in Sudanese lands. The Mamluks have gone 60 years earlier than IRL

Duke of Wellington - collapse is not on my agenda, I'm trying to maintain good stability, it's expensive enough and I can't afford temples yet.

Sweboy - Cairo is definitely a must, the rest of Egypt is optional. Expansion west depends on how soon do I want to face Castille/Portugal -they already are in North Africa.

Storey - I agree, Funj is too obvious. But India is far too exotic right now There is a lot of consolidation to do before that: Iraq, Arabia, rest of Persia...

Kami - The OE is still too big (and allied to the GH). I haven't thought of westernization yet. What Latin nation could I befriend? Portugal while I fight Spain? Unlikely. Italy is half Austrian! Maybe I should go for an Irish minor I'll try to put a sliders/tech overview in next update. Georgia is an OPM, I guess attacking them for the GH to annex them is better than the OE annexing them.
    Tintero

I just played 1470-79, update hopefully tomorrow
    Tintero

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast