• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The "Dark Cult" series of games consisted of everyone belonging to a pack. It was general knowledge that everyone belonged to a pack of some sort, and since the point of the game was to have your pack be the only one left, you would lynch those who you thought belonged to one of the stronger packs.

Those games were amazing (although once I GMed one, and that was hell). We should have one again sometime...

Going back and reading that game is a surreal experience. :wacko:
I was the poor sorcerer in that infamous game although I did find the only alive cultist pretty quick:p Sadly it did no good to know him as he didn't know anything.

Hey jacob, its good to see you around again. :)

I lurk I just haven't felt interested in some games. Lite is normally moving along before I notice them and the big games have gotten into a new generation of rules and it doesn't feel like MY werewolf gaming:p

I lurk I just haven't felt interested in some games. Lite is normally moving along before I notice them and the big games have gotten into a new generation of rules and it doesn't feel like MY werewolf gaming:p

I am going to quote this one more time. GMs have taken Big games to a place that some do not care for, myself included.

If thats the kind of crapshoot the majority of players want, then fine. I will stick with Lite. I just think its very unfortunate that Big games have been butchered to such an extent. The adding of so many rules and traits has made the game into an abortion that is unrecognizable and no longer fun. Analysis is impossible and pointless, as there are so many unknowables and possibilities that it becomes as fun as my advanced calculus work and even if you do put time in the end result is an equation that is unsolvable. It has reduced the game into people running around like headless chickens waiting to be told what to do. The only things remaining about the game that have not been destroyed are better done by a Lite game.

I will not complain any more on this matter I just wanted to say my piece. I will stick with Lite from now on.

It's one game. There are GM's who share your sentiment and are on the list to GM soon.

It's one game. There are GM's who share your sentiment and are on the list to GM soon.
I was not talking about one game in specific as most I have seen when I check (which is not every big game so don't think this is condemning all recent games) seem to be too chaotic on the rules.

Those games were amazing (although once I GMed one, and that was hell). We should have one again sometime...

They were stopped because Blade! said they were the same as WW, and we could only have one WW game at a time. With our own forum I don't see any reason why we couldn't have a DC game going anytime we wanted.

True.

And I also think you should give Ironhead the possibility to defend himself and the choices he made after the game. During the game he has almost no possibility to do that.

After the game he has the possibility to explain everything and if he made mistakes in the set-up he can admit them. I hope the AOK will give him that chance :)

They were stopped because Blade! said they were the same as WW, and we could only have one WW game at a time. With our own forum I don't see any reason why we couldn't have a DC game going anytime we wanted.

I agree, but playing in a DC game and a big WW game would be too much: DC games involved massive amounts of PMs IIRC (at least for some), and on top of a WW it would be too complicated, especially if one was an important role in both.

General Query: has anyone run a game where everyone was a werewolf?

There was one game in which almost everyone was cursed, which ended up with the baddies fighting each other pretty quickly. I just remember how vehemently Olaus Petrus denied that he was a werewolf even though he and everyone else at that point were bad guys.:D

There was one game in which almost everyone was cursed, which ended up with the baddies fighting each other pretty quickly. I just remember how vehemently Olaus Petrus denied that he was a werewolf even though he and everyone else at that point were bad guys.:D
Nobody could be quite as innocent and misunderstood as Olaus, at least not if you asked him. ;)

What game was that, do you remember?

If thats the kind of crapshoot the majority of players want, then fine. I will stick with Lite. I just think its very unfortunate that Big games have been butchered to such an extent. The adding of so many rules and traits has made the game into an abortion that is unrecognizable and no longer fun. Analysis is impossible and pointless, as there are so many unknowables and possibilities that it becomes as fun as my advanced calculus work and even if you do put time in the end result is an equation that is unsolvable. It has reduced the game into people running around like headless chickens waiting to be told what to do. The only things remaining about the game that have not been destroyed are better done by a Lite game.

I agree with this. I don't even try to do analysis in big games.

There are GM's who share your sentiment and are on the list to GM soon.
Yes.

And there were strange big games even way back when. Need I remind you of GMs like The Gonzo and Jinnai?

But you are right, there has been more complicated-rules-games lately.

But you are right, there has been more complicated-rules-games lately.

Is it just me, or do the more simple games actually seem funner and more fulfilling? I still like the big game for the sheer complexity it can offer, but once you get too much crap thrown in there, the quality seems to take a turn for the worse. Maybe its just me, trespoe, jacob, and AOK though.

Is it just me, or do the more simple games actually seem funner and more fulfilling? I still like the big game for the sheer complexity it can offer, but once you get too much crap thrown in there, the quality seems to take a turn for the worse. Maybe its just me, trespoe, jacob, and AOK though.
No, I agree as well, (so that changes everything;))
I like Lite better full stop though, regardless of the nature of the Big Game
Although the very best WW experience you could have would be in a big game, Lites overall I prefer

No, I agree as well, (so that changes everything;))
I like Lite better full stop though, regardless of the nature of the Big Game
Although the very best WW experience you could have would be in a big game, Lites overall I prefer
You are still punished.

And I also think you should give Ironhead the possibility to defend himself and the choices he made after the game. During the game he has almost no possibility to do that.
I'll have more to add after the game ends, but AOK. 11 and I have traded a few PMs recently and I think that we disagree on some of the most fundamental aspects of the game. One of the last comments he made was that the game should be about analysis, not paranoia. I agree wholeheartedly that the game should include healthy analysis -- but I do not think that this is mutually exclusive from paranoia, and I think that paranoia is one of the best parts of the game.

There are other websites out there that host nothing but WW games, and the vast majority of these are like our Lite -- except PMing is forbidden. These can be very fun games, but it is ALL analysis. After a while, it gets very dry and even a little boring. I think we have a great thing going here because we add many variables that upend routine analysis. They actually make you THINK, as opposed to applying the same formulaic reasoning to each game.

The current game notwithstanding (and, in a few days, I will include that one too), big WW should NOT be about turning your mind off and doing what someone else tells you to do. The whole point of the added variables (which, I agree, have gotten a little out-of-hand -- more on that when the game ends) was to add enough paranoia that you couldn't possibly trust anyone, so you wouldn't do something just because some self-proclaimed spokesman told you to. A couple years ago, everyone was getting a little complacent. Every game began to follow the same formula, consisting of a few random lynches until a JL spokesman emerged (and with some of the older rules, a JL spokesman ALWAYS emerged; remember the old witness role?), then all goodies would flock to him and the game devolved into a bloodbath. There was no analysis, it was only baddies hoping to kill an important goodie during their hunts (starting with the protectors, because the JL would always coordinate protection for their spokesman and scanners), and the JL outing someone every couple of days. A lot of the current changes were effected to react to this -- and those who missed that nadir are going to think that the current game represents dissonance form the games roots. But those who have been around the whole time know that it does not.

More to follow when the current game ends.