• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I think the worst I had to endure thus far was the tender mercies of minus 23 C. And dressing for Winter in weather such as this makes it very difficult to retain any sense of panache. I've got to put on some Red Army costume just to go out for coffee.
If you find -23 oC intolerable I think you should be glad, you live in the South normally; because that isn't really cold.

After this, I'm tempted to move to the Antilles and never return...

How far north are you? Even I think that 9 below is too cold. :p Also, I believe that Virginia has the best climate out of all the states. :)

How far north are you? Even I think that 9 below is too cold. :p Also, I believe that Virginia has the best climate out of all the states. :)

Canada has the nicest climes on earth.

>>

<<

Who uses Celsius for temperature? Either go all out scientific and use Kelvin, or use the completely arbitrary Fahrenheit. Celsius can't make up it's mind and tries to appease both science and human's fascination with water.

And it's shorts weather until it's below the freezing point of water.

Who uses Celsius for temperature? Either go all out scientific and use Kelvin, or use the completely arbitrary Fahrenheit. Celsius can't make up it's mind and tries to appease both science and human's fascination with water.

And it's shorts weather until it's below the freezing point of water.
Every time I use Kelvin here on the forum people misread it. And Celsiuc has the advantage over Fahrenheit that it goes in the same size intervals as Kelvin so it is really really easy to convert in your head; but yes otherwise it is arbitrary like Fahrenheit.

life is arbitrary, man

California. Or do you have another explanation for why it's the most populous state, and Virginia isn't?

I heard Fahrenheit was made up so that 0 was what people are able to survive at. But that's really, really arbitrary anyway. :p

And Aedan, whoah there, that's some America centrism right there. :p But really, the entire rest of the world uses Celsius, and the rest of the world uses the metric system as well. (I like the metric system. Really, it just makes so much more sense.)

And Aedan, whoah there, that's some America centrism right there. :p But really, the entire rest of the world uses Celsius, and the rest of the world uses the metric system as well. (I like the metric system. Really, it just makes so much more sense.)

It isn't American Centrism. Kelvin is a perfectly acceptable system, and would be superior to Fahrenheit if more people knew about it. But I get annoyed when people say Celsius is better than Fahrenheit for being 'more scientific' when if they really wanted to be such they'd use Kelvin.

And the metric system is incredibly inferior to the Imperial system, because the Imperial system is unintuitive, which means you have to understand it better to use it. (That is American Centrism).

@LK-Pennsylvania. And yes, nothing's like the Virginia Piedmont in Spring for climate.

Dadarian-Canada has the nicest people, but nicest climes? Let's not be silly.

It isn't American Centrism. Kelvin is a perfectly acceptable system, and would be superior to Fahrenheit if more people knew about it. But I get annoyed when people say Celsius is better than Fahrenheit for being 'more scientific' when if they really wanted to be such they'd use Kelvin.

And the metric system is incredibly inferior to the Imperial system, because the Imperial system is unintuitive, which means you have to understand it better to use it. (That is American Centrism).
No, the Fahrenheit system is the America centrism thing I was referring to. But anyway.

Didn't someone claim that ain't is inherently superior to using the correct conjugations of to be because it is simpler? Who was that and what have you done with him? :p

No, the Fahrenheit system is the America centrism thing I was referring to. But anyway.

Didn't someone claim that ain't is inherently superior to using the correct conjugations of to be because it is simpler? Who was that and what have you done with him? :p

Different areas entirely. The Imperial system is used for science, and you don't want any random person getting into that, so raise the bar to keep idiots further away from it. Ain't is an informal speech term, and not something to be used in a professional setting. Plus my main argument there was about aesthetics rather than simplicity. And ain't is correct, even if frowned upon.

Different areas entirely. The Imperial system is used for science, and you don't want any random person getting into that, so raise the bar to keep idiots further away from it. Ain't is an informal speech term, and not something to be used in a professional setting. Plus my main argument there was about aesthetics rather than simplicity. And ain't is correct, even if frowned upon.
You raise the bar by making people memorize idiotic, arbitrary combinations of numbers and words? Why would you want science to be filled with people who accept arbitrary customs and systems? And also, why would you want to restrict science to only some elite group of people? Science should be made more accessible to the general public so the actual content can be understood and acted upon and the whole field better funded. It's already difficult enough understanding the vocab and ideas.

Stupid people would leave the field once they got to all those tiddly squidly equations in the first place, anyway. The decimal conversions should be enough to scare off the truly dumb people. Anyway, we have no shortage of science-avoiding idiots on the US.

Measurement should also be standardized- some Imperial conversions between units are really bizarre. Like, 5280? Seriously? Who thought that would be a good number for feet into miles? Additionally, all other countries except some ratchet third world countries use metric, including our largest partners in space exploration and trade and almost everything else, so why risk potentially fatal conversion accidents? Some have actually happened with launches into space, by the way.

Also, with all the pretentious Latin and Greek in science the metric terms fit right in. :) Additionally, the metric system is actually based upon science through some strange light year stuff, while the Imperial is based on British ideas of how big your armspan is supposed to be or something.

You raise the bar by making people memorize idiotic, arbitrary combinations of numbers and words? Why would you want science to be filled with people who accept arbitrary customs and systems? And also, why would you want to restrict science to only some elite group of people? Science should be made more accessible to the general public so the actual content can be understood and acted upon and the whole field better funded. It's already difficult enough understanding the vocab and ideas.

Stupid people would leave the field once they got to all those tiddly squidly equations in the first place, anyway. The decimal conversions should be enough to scare off the truly dumb people. Anyway, we have no shortage of science-avoiding idiots on the US.

Measurement should also be standardized- some Imperial conversions between units are really bizarre. Like, 5280? Seriously? Who thought that would be a good number for feet into miles? Additionally, all other countries except some ratchet third world countries use metric, including our largest partners in space exploration and trade and almost everything else, so why risk potentially fatal conversion accidents? Some have actually happened with launches into space, by the way.

Also, with all the pretentious Latin and Greek in science the metric terms fit right in. :) Additionally, the metric system is actually based upon science through some strange light year stuff, while the Imperial is based on British ideas of how big your armspan is supposed to be or something.

It's just a method of keeping track of measurements. Understanding the Imperial system is less intuitive, and thus means the people using it need to be less rooted in a repetitive system and thus are more creative*. And the problems you mention are because not everyone uses the same system. If everyone used Imperial those wouldn't happen, just the same as if everyone used metric. And ad hominem is not a sufficient argument for the superiority of the metric system. And miles, gallons, and pounds sound better than kilometers, liters, and kilograms.

[*Citation needed]

Not in American universities. Please, do the world a favor and abolish the fahrenheit and imperial system. It serves no purpose.

Guys, does this discussion really have anything to do with Werewolf? ;)

It's just a method of keeping track of measurements. Understanding the Imperial system is less intuitive, and thus means the people using it need to be less rooted in a repetitive system and thus are more creative*. And the problems you mention are because not everyone uses the same system. If everyone used Imperial those wouldn't happen, just the same as if everyone used metric. And ad hominem is not a sufficient argument for the superiority of the metric system. And miles, gallons, and pounds sound better than kilometers, liters, and kilograms.

[*Citation needed]
Or perhaps, people who use the metric system are more able to express their creativity because they aren't concentrating all their effort in remembering obtuse and outdated units. ;)

I thought you would say that, but it's much more difficult teaching people Imperial than it is teaching people metric, especially because not everybody's foot equals 12 inches or even close. Also, what is with the division of inches? They only divide into powers of two, which is useless and arbitrary and doesn't even fit with our money anymore. I mean, does the simplicity of our money system actually make stupid people become bankers and bondsmen? Well, arguably yes, but not more than using pieces of eight or something would.

Really, I still can't remember the whole gallon/cup/whatever system of powers of two, which, according to you, makes me stupid and not fit for doing science, whereas really, it simply makes me bad at memorizing silly, arbitrary numbers and names. (Unless you've abandoned that argument. :p)

Where the Imperial system is arbitrary and variable, the metric is clear, concise, and consistent. It uses the same prefixes for everything and they map to each other perfectly when applicable. It uses the decimal system which we use for money, counting, and scientific notation, and which is pretty universal in modern countries, making it easier to teach globally.

Additionally, while the English Imperial terms may be prettier to you, that's not quantitative data and I disagree anyway. There are so many of them it's nigh impossible to know all of them. For example, minims. I had never heard of them without specifically looking things up and I doubt an average American would know what they even are, much less what amount they represent. It's also more difficult for foreigners to learn all these weird phrases from Old English. One only needs to learn a few key prefixes then you're set for life and for all types of measurement with the metric.

Oh, and where was I using ad hominem? I don't recall insulting you, and if I did I'm quite sorry. :unsure:

Guys, does this discussion really have anything to do with Werewolf? ;)

When has that ever been even the slightest bit important? :D

Or perhaps, people who use the metric system are more able to express their creativity because they aren't concentrating all their effort in remembering obtuse and outdated units. ;)

I thought you would say that, but it's much more difficult teaching people Imperial than it is teaching people metric, especially because not everybody's foot equals 12 inches or even close. Also, what is with the division of inches? They only divide into powers of two, which is useless and arbitrary and doesn't even fit with our money anymore. I mean, does the simplicity of our money system actually make stupid people become bankers and bondsmen? Well, arguably yes, but not more than using pieces of eight or something would.

Really, I still can't remember the whole gallon/cup/whatever system, which, according to you, makes me stupid and not fit for doing science, whereas really, it simply makes me bad at memorizing silly, arbitrary numbers and names. (Unless you've abandoned that argument. :p)

Where the Imperial system is arbitrary and variable, the metric is clear, concise, and consistent. It uses the same prefixes for everything and they map to each other perfectly when applicable. It uses the decimal system which we use for money, counting, and scientific notation, and which is pretty universal in modern countries, making it easier to teach globally.

Additionally, while the English Imperial terms may be prettier to you, that's not quantitative data and I disagree anyway. There are so many of them it's nigh impossible to know all of them. For example, minims. I had never heard of them without specifically looking things up and I doubt an average American would know what they even are, much less what amount they represent. It's also more difficult for foreigners to learn all these weird phrases from Old English. One only needs to learn a few key prefixes then you're set for life and for all types of measurement with the metric.

Part of me likes forcing people to know how to convert completely arbitrary units, rather than those pathetically simple powers of 10. If you're so dependent on powers of 10, what do you do when you encounter 6.022 times 10^23 for the first time? :p