• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I think Falc's first game on these forums was the same as mine, CVIII: The Paradox StarLeague.

Yeah, I think he joined with the Spring 2011 bunch.

So Najs, Boris, Falc, me, Kiwi, Bagricula, Vainglory, Athalcor, Rendap, to name a few. And I feel so inferior to most of you :sad:

I remember the good old days!

Yeah, I think he joined with the Spring 2011 bunch.

So Najs, Boris, Falc, me, Kiwi, Bagricula, Vainglory, Athalcor, Rendap, to name a few. And I feel so inferior to most of you :sad:

Yeah, that was a large bunch - for me it is sadly too much time consuming. And I do not want to play this without the needed time.

Bad news, guys. It probably happened a few months ago but I just realised The Phoenix's Werewolf Thread is no longer the largest thread on the OT.

Bad news, guys. It probably happened a few months ago but I just realised The Phoenix's Werewolf Thread is no longer the largest thread on the OT.
time marches on.

Marketing Strategy

I remember, it was almost two years ago when we first had the idea of creating a thread in the OT specifically to attract new players.. Read from the link onward about the general idea. At the time we did create a new thread, but it wasn't as much of a success as might have been hoped (just re-read Ironhead's rant about Tornadoli: sad episode but absolutely hilarious in retrospect )
Now we have another thread which is currently used here.

It serves a purpose but, with no disrespect to drxav, I think with creativity, planning and co-ordinated effort we could create a much more effective thread. One that showcases what werewolf actually is. A lot of people think it's some 'lame' rp adventure thing, and I think if they realised it was a variant of mafia more people would be interested.

This is one of the few non-player replies to the thread, for example:
Is this basically wink murder online?
This is the kind of perception we need to destroy in my opinion. It doesn't matter if werewolf kind've is like that; it's so much deeper but if we tell people that it's even remotely similar to wink murder they'll automatically assume it's lame and disregard any other .

Let the current one fade away (it's already on the bottom of the 4th page) and create a new, shining beacon recruitment thread for werewolf. Anyone want to share some idea? Everything from the title to how we explain the rules concisely but fully, and the aesthetics of the first post. It can't hurt to try, and if we do it well, surely more people would at least be somewhat intrigued. What do you guys think?

The messages I think we need to get across is both that it can a deep game strategy wise but at the same time it's nowhere near as complicated as all(?) the other RPing games, that it can be real fun whenone of your cunning plans works out (and sometimes when they go horribly wrong too) and that the behind the scene plotting can also be a gem.

The messages I think we need to get across is both that it can a deep game strategy wise but at the same time it's nowhere near as complicated as all(?) the other RPing games, that it can be real fun whenone of your cunning plans works out (and sometimes when they go horribly wrong too) and that the behind the scene plotting can also be a gem.
Exactly. The difficulty lies in conveying this all in one post.
And it really should be in one post. If people are confused and ask questions which the OP has to respond to individually then it makes the thread a lot messier; much better to have all possible questions anticipated and responded to in one or more posts by the OP at the start of the thread.

Also, examples of really classic moments from past games could be added to show how the theory works in practice. And if anyone has stored pm's from past enjoyable games (unfortunately I've never saved any) then those could be added to. And they could be put in spoiler tags in case anyone thinks too much info would clutter up the thread.

And we could rope players in to say: 'Werewolf? Hmmm...this game sounds interesting, might give it a go' Bit dishonest but isn't that the whole point of this game? :D But seriously, we could get others to share experiences of great werewolf games, and it might persuade some old vets who haven't played in years (e.g. curtis, Hyzenhok, Ayeshteni, Jayavarman, Avernite - never played with them except Avernite and Jaya possibly, but I do read a lot of old games.) to come in and reminisce - even though they probably wouldn't return to play it would create a powerful impression on newer OT members.

EDIT: Your point about the complication of other forum games also reminded me of something else. How many WW players do we get coming from other forum games? It doesn't really seem like that many.

Also, I'm having difficulty locating the list of people in the werewolf social group. As this seems to be what GM's use to pm prospective players, I'd like to see it as I think there's quite a lot of players who've played werewolf but never joined that group. If someone could post (in spoiler tags) or link to it that'd be cool.

What would help a little is players accepting that some games have fewer people and wait less time to start them. Longer waits means less advertising and more likely someone has to drop out. Though waiting more gain players in some situations it does reduce the amount of advertising and lowers the odds of subs early on in games also.

What would help a little is players accepting that some games have fewer people and wait less time to start them. Longer waits means less advertising and more likely someone has to drop out. Though waiting more gain players in some situations it does reduce the amount of advertising and lowers the odds of subs early on in games also.
I agree. And there's nothing wrong with smaller games. In fact the most popular site in the world for this game, MafiaScum, rarely has games more than 20 players. But I think we should aim to get a larger player base regardless.

As for recruiting new players, Joeb had it right. We need players that write AARs and stuff, people that are visible out in the other parts of the forum. And especially the game forums, rather than the OT. The OT is half-full with old and half-baked WW players already. I know for a fact that there was someone in 2011 that found their way here through a sig and a post in some AAR, so that method does work. It's not very active recruiting, but provided we maintain a presence outside the WW forum it should allow a somewhat regular influx of new players.

That does remind me. I should have a link to this forum in my sig...

As for recruiting new players, Joeb had it right. We need players that write AARs and stuff, people that are visible out in the other parts of the forum. And especially the game forums, rather than the OT. The OT is half-full with old and half-baked WW players already. I know for a fact that there was someone in 2011 that found their way here through a sig and a post in some AAR, so that method does work. It's not very active recruiting, but provided we maintain a presence outside the WW forum it should allow a somewhat regular influx of new players.

Tele's pretty known about the forum, same for hdk.

Edit: najs, get a sig a put a link for werwolf in it. Always helps.

Gig has a link to us.

I guess I can add one too as im pretty active in ck2 forums.

Gigau's probably the most active of us. I talked about writing a blog a long time ago and getting someone like him to post it, but I disappeared for ages and I'm only back now.
The OT is half-full with old and half-baked WW players already.
That's an over-exaggeration Najs. There are plenty of forumites, perhaps hundreds, who frequent the OT and haven't heard of werewolf (least not properly). What harm could an advertisement thread do? Obviously in the other forums there's more numbers but the OT is the only one we can get away with blatant advertising in. I really think more blogs could increase awareness. And the signature is the easiest thing to do.
Lastly, we could try and recruit more players from other forum games here.

I know for a fact that there was someone in 2011 that found their way here through a sig and a post in some AAR, so that method does work
That's how I got here :)

Everything mentioned here will help, but only slowly and not in a way possible to measure, really.

I still say a thread in the OT, with a punchy yet descriptive title, and a powerful, stand-out, detailed and concise first post, could get us at least a dozen new players trying werewolf within the year easily. A really comprehensive guide to the game I'm talking about.

Gigau's probably the most active of us. I talked about writing a blog a long time ago and getting someone like him to post it, but I disappeared for ages and I'm only back now.

That's an over-exaggeration Najs. There are plenty of forumites, perhaps hundreds, who frequent the OT and haven't heard of werewolf (least not properly). What harm could an advertisement thread do? Obviously in the other forums there's more numbers but the OT is the only one we can get away with blatant advertising in. I really think more blogs could increase awareness. And the signature is the easiest thing to do.
Lastly, we could try and recruit more players from other forum games here.

That's how I got here :)

Everything mentioned here will help, but only slowly and not in a way possible to measure, really.

I still say a thread in the OT, with a punchy yet descriptive title, and a powerful, stand-out, detailed and concise first post, could get us at least a dozen new players trying werewolf within the year easily. A really comprehensive guide to the game I'm talking about.

Yes, of course it was an overexaggeration. :p
But still, I believe the largest "untapped" potential player base can be found outside the OT parts.

As for blogs, does anyone actually read those? Most of the ones I see pop up on the frontpage are posts where someone misclicked the "Blog this Post"-button.