• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Sounds like Dark Cult! I missed a Dark Cult game? :eek:

Can you link?

Setup was, IIRC, one wolf pack, sorcerer, 5 cultists, the wolf pack hunted and the cultist pack subverted. Balance wasn't really great, but it didn't matter much because the game became a clusterf*** of betrayals upon betrayals. Drxav betrayed the JL, got away with it, and then was hunted by them, someone betrayed the cultist faction, and then the cultist faction turned a sorcerer apprentice who outed the wolf pack to the cultists. End result was that there was a huge baddie list made public, and nobody really knew where to start.

Last edited:
Hold up hold up... what?

This is just a push to get a flood of new blood into the game so it can unstagnate, right?

Don't you know that Werewolf died in 2008?

Not sure if this what you're referring to, randakar? You did post in that same thread just above him this post is probably totally irrelevant :D
But since there don't seem to have been any Tribune articles since, I think this might be it.

Yes, that's it.

...and no, please, the only reward I need is the satisfaction of a job well done.

Having a good interesting game with a bunch of people you never met before would work too, would it not? :)

Werewolf CXXIV, a drxav special. Three of the four wolves killed day one, the remaining wolf proceeds to hunt two seers in two nights and win on day four.

Bloody snipers ..

Don't you know that Werewolf died in 2008?

No, you just became a cranky old man in 2008 :p

Can you link?

Setup was, IIRC, one wolf pack, sorcerer, 5 cultists, the wolf pack hunted and the cultist pack subverted. Balance wasn't really great, but it didn't matter much because the game became a clusterf*** of betrayals upon betrayals. Drxav betrayed the JL, got away with it, and then was hunted by them, someone betrayed the cultist faction, and then the cultist faction turned a sorcerer apprentice who outed the wolf pack to the cultists. End result was that there was a huge baddie list made public, and nobody really knew where to start.

But I'm pretty sure I was a wolf that game... Odd. And drxav definitely had sorcerous powers he misused. So it's not this game :/

As for advertising, I think it would be better to take some of the more recent games. As in no older than 2010, since the rules have changes constantly and most of the playerbase from before 2008 has either left of shows up to one or two games hosted by oldies(see johho's refugees). My suggestions:

Werewolf CVII: LZ 129 Hindenburg by EUROO. What made this game great was that the GM being EUROO, the setup was balanced, we had AOK tearing up the place and there were lots of events, analysis, bickering. Personally, even though I completely failed that game and got lynched early, it was still one of the most enjoyable Big games I've ever had.

Werewolf CIX: Budget Crunch by Rysz. While I don't remember much from this game, the ending, with the mouthpiece being turned and marty deciding no-one deserved to win is a prime example of why you shouldn't trust anyone EVER.

Werewolf CXII: Refugees by johho. I mean, come on, this is a johho game. That would be reason enough to advertise it. It had probably the most players since I've been playing this game(42) and a village that managed to turn a seemingly losing battle into a definite victory.

Werewolf CXV: The Spanish Armada by AVN. Found the game I was looking for. Turns out I mixed the beginning of your cultist faction game, reis, and the rest of this one. drxav's pack hunt reis the blessed seer on Nights 0 and 2 and my pack turns johho on Night 3. With the seer dead, xav uses his sorc powers to scan johho, but he forgets that sorc powers don't scan for wolves and johho the werewolf becomes the only cleared person in the game. With JL-like circles forming like crazy and wolfpacks identifying each-other, it becomes a matter of who stabs at the right moment. In the end, a betrayal of the red pack's cultists give the yellow pack the win.

Werewolf CXVI: The Inner Machinations of My Mind by EUROO. The infamous game where randy the apprentice was tossed between the goodie and baddie scanners and had the power to choose who won. It's a prime example why apprentices should stick with whoever scanned them first.

As for Lites, well, this one stands out to me, probably because it was the first game where I was actually useful.

Werewolf Lite CCV: Invasion Normandy by Vainglory. The wolves were one day away from a Stalingrad, but the JL managed to turn the tables and get rid of all four within three days.

Can you link?
Slinky's List of Dark Cult Games
Nah this wasn't a Dark Cult game. Still sounds fun though, but the original Dark Cult games weren't werewolf but were similar. They ended long before my time here.

Hold up hold up... what?

This is just a push to get a flood of new blood into the game so it can unstagnate, right?
Pretty much. I just want to see if there's any way of increasing net inflow of players.
Werewolf isn't in too bad a state now, it's been worse. But the fact is over the past three years numbers have declined significantly. With more forumites than ever before, it doesn't have to be like this. Anything to increase interest.

Having a good interesting game with a bunch of people you never met before would work too, would it not? :)
Yeah it sure would :)

As for advertising, I think it would be better to take some of the more recent games. As in no older than 2010, since the rules have changes constantly and most of the playerbase from before 2008 has either left of shows up to one or two games hosted by oldies(see johho's refugees).
I don't see why that's an argument against posting about older games. It doesn't necessarily matter who was playing, it's just to show how crazy, unpredictable and fun werewolf can be. Preferably with less emphasis on complicated rule variations and more on simple backstabbing etc. But we would obviously be better informed about newer games and better at writing personal accounts.

My suggestions:

Werewolf CVII: LZ 129 Hindenburg by EUROO. What made this game great was that the GM being EUROO, the setup was balanced, we had AOK tearing up the place and there were lots of events, analysis, bickering. Personally, even though I completely failed that game and got lynched early, it was still one of the most enjoyable Big games I've ever had.
Hindenburg was a fun game, enjoyable to analyse and for once I was part of the JL before being brutalised by Walrus (that's why I hate being brutalised but I think it's a trait that's necessary to the game)

Werewolf CIX: Budget Crunch by Rysz. While I don't remember much from this game, the ending, with the mouthpiece being turned and marty deciding no-one deserved to win is a prime example of why you shouldn't trust anyone EVER.
Funny. I hated that game. Still feel guilty about denying tamius the win but it was becoming a real anti-climactic ending and I didn't think anyone remaining had done anything to deserve a win outright. Least of all me.

Werewolf CXII: Refugees by johho. I mean, come on, this is a johho game. That would be reason enough to advertise it. It had probably the most players since I've been playing this game(42) and a village that managed to turn a seemingly losing battle into a definite victory.
Never played in it, but 42 players is probably the most we've had for over 3 years. My second game, Coruscant Nights, had 41 and it was the most in a long time.

Werewolf CXV: The Spanish Armada by AVN. Found the game I was looking for. Turns out I mixed the beginning of your cultist faction game, reis, and the rest of this one. drxav's pack hunt reis the blessed seer on Nights 0 and 2 and my pack turns johho on Night 3. With the seer dead, xav uses his sorc powers to scan johho, but he forgets that sorc powers don't scan for wolves and johho the werewolf becomes the only cleared person in the game. With JL-like circles forming like crazy and wolfpacks identifying each-other, it becomes a matter of who stabs at the right moment. In the end, a betrayal of the red pack's cultists give the yellow pack the win.
Didn't play in. Looked like a cool game though.

Werewolf CXVI: The Inner Machinations of My Mind by EUROO. The infamous game where randy the apprentice was tossed between the goodie and baddie scanners and had the power to choose who won. It's a prime example why apprentices should stick with whoever scanned them first.
I remember playing in that game, but since there's no summary on the first page I can't remember much details EDIT: That was another JL-driven game where I and half the village played no part whatsoever. Fun for those in the know I suppose, but any kind of analysis was impossible. 18 winners out of 37. Only four wolves. But POV account from someone inside the JL, with all the pm's and trickery, would be interesting.

As for Lites, well, this one stands out to me, probably because it was the first game where I was actually useful.

Werewolf Lite CCV: Invasion Normandy by Vainglory. The wolves were one day away from a Stalingrad, but the JL managed to turn the tables and get rid of all four within three days.
Got hunted night 3 as per usual. But a great comeback by the village.

Thinking up a signature here advertising werewolf. Would be it too much of a jump/outright lie to call it a "strategic" game? :eek: How about tactical?

Yes, my latest tribute piece never got published. I was going to do a werewolf article for each tribune, had several planned out already, but unfortunately no new tribunes were forthcoming. At least two of my pieces got in there, but the AAR I was writing never made it into the public domain. Several fellow werewolf players kept begging me to publish it in a thread, but at that time I was still hoping for a new tribune to come out. I will try to dig it up, but I want to read it first to see if it is worthy of posting. I remember it being a bit chaotic like the game it was describing. I am a bit busy these days so I don't know when I will be able to post it and if I am satisfied to see it published (I have a slightly higher standard these days :)).

I'd love to read it, whenever you have time to publish :)

read it first to see if it is worthy of posting
No real journalist would do that :p

I'd love to read it, whenever you have time to publish :)

No real journalist would do that :p
I know I was not really happy with it at the time, since it seemed a bit like one long ramble, however I did okay it for publishing in the tribune so it probably wasn't that bad :p

I could do it as well, as my activity in other areas of the forum will be picking up since its summer time.
Boris, if you're interested I think you'd be great at it and I'd be very grateful :) But until my exams are over it's very much in the castle-in-the-sky-wishful-thinking stage. After that however, I'll try and actually think about what format a blog could possibly take.

Holy crap I remember that game with jonti, EURO and AOK. That was classic Werewolfing. And that game with jonti and marty was also a dream game for me IMO, it was how a ruthless and dedicated pack could manipulate a village to fearing shadows and push them to kill off the other pack for them while silently going for a win. I'd have to say that ANY I5 game is worth a mention, if only for the chaos it brings to a regular set-up.

I know I was not really happy with it at the time, since it seemed a bit like one long ramble, however I did okay it for publishing in the tribune so it probably wasn't that bad :p

I would love to see that, too.

Boris, if you're interested I think you'd be great at it and I'd be very grateful :) But until my exams are over it's very much in the castle-in-the-sky-wishful-thinking stage. After that however, I'll try and actually think about what format a blog could possibly take.

Yep, I would love to do it. It would probably hae to start sometime in July (I will be on vacation until then) and I probably couldn't do too much writing.

Can anyone recommend any more good games from the past 6 months?
Vainglory's Werewolf CXXI: Deus Omnia Vincit is the game this year with the most view (and replies). That is often a sign that the game was interesting. Can't actually remember it myself but according to the first page I got eaten night 2 so that could explain my lack of interest.

Last big game, Rendap's Werewolf CXXVI - Werewolf Wagon Train , showed that it is possible to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. The village killed all important goodies the first three days but still managed a comeback and won.

I don't follow Lites so can't help you there.

Hmm, that's one of those games where I loudly proclaim that I have one of those "if you hunt me, you die" traits and the wolves proceed to do it anyway.
With predictable results. :rofl:
Yeah, I should stop doing that :p