• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Werewolf Lite CCXXXII

30px-Armoiries_Armagnac-Rodez.svg.png
30px-Blason_fr_Bourgogne.svg.png

Deux ducs, c'est un de trop !

Two dukes, that's one too many !

350px-Assassinat_de_LouisdOrleans.jpg

Date

February 28th, 1409

The Palace of Chartres

Background

At the start of the XVth Century, a truce has been settled between Charles VI de France and Richard II of England. During this period of peace, Chalres VI has break-outs of "absences", during which his wife, Isabeau de Bavière, is regent. The two main members of the Regency Council are Louis d'Orléans and Philippe le Hardi de Bourgogne. Their politics, towards the Great Schism of Occident, towards the relationship with England,... are completely different, leading to numerous confrontations.

In 1404 Philippe le Hardi dies. Louis d'Orléans jumps on the occasion and slowly completely removes the Burgundy faction from the Regency Council. That doesn't sit too weel with Jean Sans Peur, the new duke of Burgundy.

On November 23rd of 1407, Jean Sans Peur has Louis d'Orléans assassinated in the Rue du Temple, in Paris. This sparks an open conflict between the two houses of Orléans (to become the Armagnacs) and of Bourgogne.

To settle the issue, Charles VI summons both parties to the Palace of Chartres. Count Guillaume IV de Hainaut is charged with the security of the meeting as it is likely that the members of the House of Orléans will try to use this opportunity to avenge Louis d'Orléans' death.

Rules

There shall be seventeen (17) players. Special Roles will be handed out after the last person signs up. Not all players will get an PM, only special roles

The game will then proceed to a Night deadline.

The game is divided into two periods - night and day. For practical reasons these two periods take place at the same time, from one update till the next.
Each day, all players gather and decide to lynch one of the players - the person they think is most likely to be a werewolf. Each night, the werewolves decide who to kill. In each 24 hour period, the village will lynch, and the werewolves will hunt. The villagers can try to lynch multiple people by creating a glorious, Lemeard-approved, TIE, and the werewolves can also decide not to hunt anyone at all at night. Beware of Crovaxian slips as well!

Winning

The werewolves win if they manage to reach parity with the villagers.
The villagers and seer win if they manage to kill all the werewolves.

Player Roles

10 or 11 X Burgundian Noblemen (Villager) : Followers of Jean Sans Peur
3 or 4 X Orléans Noblemen (Werewolf) : Followers of Charles d'Orléans
1 X Steward (Seer): King's Mediator, in charge of Security

Thread

Subscribe here

H
ere also, just in case :p

Was considering the possibility of starting a werewolf blog, in an effort to reach more people about this game, and actually tell them what it's about*. As far as I know no-one's done this before - a few people have werewolf histories, but that's it - what do you people think? Because I'm not actually going to do this myself, of course :p
Was thinking classic game histories, light info on how the game actually works, etc. etc.

*(Not a desperate bid to try and scrape more players out of anywhere we possibly can. No sir)

Was considering the possibility of starting a werewolf blog, in an effort to reach more people about this game, and actually tell them what it's about*. As far as I know no-one's done this before - a few people have werewolf histories, but that's it - what do you people think? Because I'm not actually going to do this myself, of course :p
Was thinking classic game histories, light info on how the game actually works, etc. etc.

*(Not a desperate bid to try and scrape more players out of anywhere we possibly can. No sir)

Yes.

But we need someone visible on other parts of the forums to do it.

Yes.

But we need someone visible on other parts of the forums to do it.
Correct. The question is how we rope OrangeYoshi into doing it.
I'd be happy writing stuff for it myself (probably not for a couple weeks - exams) but it would be helpful indeed if it was posted by someone who is on several game forums/writes AARs.

Speaking of histories - I *really* wonder what happened to that AAR that slinky allegedly wrote ..

Correct. The question is how we rope OrangeYoshi into doing it.
I'd be happy writing stuff for it myself (probably not for a couple weeks - exams) but it would be helpful indeed if it was posted by someone who is on several game forums/writes AARs.

Why not Gigau?

Speaking of histories, and with thanks to Slinky:

Suggestions for some classic games throughout werewolf history (and LXXXV purely because I kicked ass in it)
Code:
[URL=http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?p=5309156#post5309156]Werewolf X: In space no one can hear you scream[/URL] [COLOR=White][/COLOR] - the infamous plot twist and blatant disregarding of the rules by the GM, infuriating for those playing but hilarious to read back on.
[thread=257805]Werewolf XIII: The Siege of Rhodos[/thread] Just a good game, with plenty of activity, players, and events. Can't remember anything else of it right now but it was fun to read. Maybe this was the game I read where Bash the wolf blackmailed the seer into giving him control of the JL?
[thread=260350]Werewolf XIV: The Curse of the Werepenguin[/thread] A novel idea, (the Werepenguin trait). Lots of great players, and only two people survived out of 33 starting.
[thread=326270]Werewolf XXXV: Whodunnit [/thread] Great theme and lots of roleplaying, as well as being pack with events and analysis.
[thread=329939]Werewolf XXXVI: Warthogs School of Witchcraft & Wizardry[/thread] Similar to Whodunnit, the game it directly followed. Another very interesting game. Ironhead once said Whodunnit and Warthogs was the high point of werewolf history.
[thread=336925]Werewolf XXXVIII The Cursed Mist[/thread] Another very novel set of ideas by Jinnai the GM, which worked better in this game IMO than in any other of his games. Like the last two, the player list was basically a who's-who of werewolf greats.
[thread=426368]Werewolf LXXIII: Coruscant Nights[/thread] The first game I got really involved, and one of the biggest games (possibly bigger than any since) of the past 4 years, another really fun game.
[thread=469195]Werewolf LXXXV: The War to End All Wars [/thread] I just love this game as along with my packmate Ciryandor we got to control the village for a large part of the game, me doing most of the earnest analysing while he won the total, unconditional trust of the noobie priest, and thus the JL.

And Lites (which I actually find much more entertaining but a lot of people won't share this view)

[thread=271601]Werewolf Lite VIII: La Noche Triste [/thread] One of the earliest werewolf games, an example of how a clever wolfpack can con a village into rejecting blatantly obvious facts: Ironhead 5 was outed as a scanned wolf by a villager, the village lynched said villager yet I5 and his packmate AOK (2 wolf pack) persuaded the village to forget about it for another 3 days until the game was over.
[thread=276218]Werewolf Lite XIV: Christmas Chaos [/thread] The first game where classic vote analysis was used, before then the most anyone ever done was talk about votes in a very rhetorical way, in this game AOK began the process of kinda formalizing how to find wolves and kill 'em.
[thread=299759]Werewolf Lite XXVIII: Kingdom of Wolves [/thread] See above.
[thread=303797]Werewolf Lite XXXI: There's too much confusion here [/thread] One wolf left standing, became a by-word for how to con a village completely.
[thread=312451]Werewolf Lite XXXVII: Stalingrad [/thread] The game where the titular phrase originated.
[thread=313966]Werewolf Lite XXXIX: The Blue and the Gray Wolves [/thread] Another masterpiece of deduction by AOK, as well as Sbr and Olaus Petrus.
[thread=336021]Werewolf Lite LXII: Götterdämmerung [/thread] Another Stalingrad with Thistletooth unilaterally co-ordinating his packs actions with an iron fist and subtly swaying the village all the while.
[thread=338513]Werewolf Lite LXIV: Arabian Wolves [/thread] A rare game where both the village and wolves actually deserve to win. Clever analysis unmasked several wolves but one was left unfound, yet at the last decided to forfeit the game.
[thread=347639]Werewolf Lite LXXIII: The Game of Thrones [/thread] AOK and Thistletooth in a pack: cue much fake arguing (blatantly, in hindsight) between the two, a newbie packmate being brutally thrown under the bus and a veteran cast of villagers who simply weren't good enough.
A bit of a break chronologically as I can't remember any of the game I've read past here, until the games from after I started playing. 
[thread=422826]Werewolf Lite CXXXIX: There's still too much confusion here...again, the Duece![/thread] My first Lite game, a Stalingrad complete with fake-JL, forged pm's, one of the wolves forgetting to vote on the last day when victory would've been assured, and last-minute sniping, with a villager voting seconds too late to prevent a wolf victory.
[thread=453862]Werewolf Lite CLVII - The village[/thread] A really interesting game for me where the wolfpack got taken apart in less than four days
[thread=468508]Werewolf Lite CLXIX: Starcraft 2[/thread] A masterpiece of paranoia and degenerative finger-pointing partly created by a single, ruthless wolf.

These are obviously my personal choices, but many of them, especially the older ones, would be considered classics I think (although in Lite terms you may have noticed a bias towards early AOK games - that's 'cos he was awesome, okay?). I've picked a few games I played in but only ones I thought were very enjoyable and significant. The pieces I wrote about each game are only vague, hastily thrown together recollections and as summaries do not justice to them.

@Boris: I've just never played with him or talked to him. Yeah I think he would be good too, perhaps more willing to do it and definitely an extremely active forumite. Come to think of it, I haven't actually seen OY anywhere on the forums in ages. The point is, would Gigau or anyone else be willing to consider doing it? It wouldn't be a lone effort, like I said when I have time I'd be willing to write up a loada things, and the blogger could just post the pooled writings of me and anyone else who thinks its not a completely and utterly s**t idea. And you could also use the comment function to facilitate discussion, I think if a lot of people comment, with any level of detail they want, helps a lot, and would give the (false:D) impression werewolf is thriving.

My initial, half-thought idea is to do some brief, sexed-up stories of some great werewolf games like I suggested above. IMHO, the key is to emphasise the strategic, tactical and psychological side of the game, as a sexier alternative to mafia. Interest in roleplaying werewolf was great in its heyday but less so now and I would prefer to skim over that area, as that's what people stereotypically think of werewolf: "ooh pretending to be vampires and shit...gaaaay".
We need a PR makeover as much as anything, Werewolf as a product has not kept up with the fast-changing consumer market in the social-networking era :p

Do you mean the Tribune article or something else?

He wrote one for the Tribune that never got published. I've asked him about it a few times, but he never really posted it anywhere ..
I believe an earlier AAR of his did get published in the Tribune though.

Suggestions for some classic games throughout werewolf history
The Siege of Rhodos and Warthogs are two of favourite games. Definitely agree on those.
Whodunnit and Coruscant Nights are good examples of good solid games. Not sure they are classics though.
The war to end all wars I don't remember at all. Probably I didn't play in it.

In space noone can hear you scream is like you say infamous.
The Gonzo's Werenuts games are also infamous.. As is the Demon Lord game.

The cursed mist was probably Jinnai's best and Jinnai I think was the GM who started exploring what rule variety could do to the game.
In the tradition of reinventing the game there is also some of Ironhead's (or White Daimon's) games.

In never really like Werepenguin - mostly because the penguin just got passed around among the veterans and left us newbies as spectators.

The Siege of Rhodos and Warthogs are two of favourite games. Definitely agree on those.
Whodunnit and Coruscant Nights are good examples of good solid games. Not sure they are classics though.

The cursed mist was probably Jinnai's best and Jinnai I think was the GM who started exploring what rule variety could do to the game.
In the tradition of reinventing the game there is also some of Ironhead's (or White Daimon's) games.

In never really like Werepenguin - mostly because the penguin just got passed around among the veterans and left us newbies as spectators.
Well it is just my opinion, and I done it extremely quickly, there's games I overlooked, games I never read or played in, and I've probably made some games up to be better than they were. Calling it flawed would be an understatement. War to end all Wars, for example, is a purely personal bias on my part, on any other criteria it wouldn't be close to a 'classic' game. Coruscant Nights many people regarded as a great game but again I am biased. But in my, er... 'vision' :/, that's fine, players would write about their own favourite games for their own personal reasons. Sometimes you can have a terrible game to watch, but where a few people actually have a great game. I just want a way of communicating to people the potential of the game.

As to some of your specifics:
The Werepenguin trait didn't end up having much effect. But I like to think it could be used to influence the game while not completely breaking it. It would be veryyy hard to get the balance right though. I just found it interesting due to the potential for chaos (In a good way, as in disrupting the best-laid plans. Not just any old chaos) I saw in it.
Ironhead's and WD's games were also really innovative...just something I forgot about.

It sure is weird imagining someone who started playing in what, July 2006? as a newbie :p But I guess you were! Although by the standards I use I would say everyone in that game was a newbie. I only stopped considering myself one after like 15 games.
He wrote one for the Tribune that never got published. I've asked him about it a few times, but he never really posted it anywhere ..
I believe an earlier AAR of his did get published in the Tribune though.
I see.
He definitely has got published in the Tribune at least once - not sure if it was an AAR though, or just a general introduction to werewolf.

Been doing a spot of sleuthing. It was dangerous, but I kept m'wits about me.
And I dredged up this curious, perhaps vital piece of information...
Slinky said:
Nice work again

I do have one small issue though, you placed an old piece of mine. You picked the one that was already featured in issue 7 and not the new article I wrote. No biggy though, you can consider it my contribution for the next tribune
Furthermore...*where'd the ninja smiley go to?*
I just realised how it happened. When sending the new stuff, I replied to an older e-mail with that older contribution in it in plain text. The new piece was in the attachement.
Not sure if this what you're referring to, randakar? You did post in that same thread just above him this post is probably totally irrelevant :D
But since there don't seem to have been any Tribune articles since, I think this might be it.

...and no, please, the only reward I need is the satisfaction of a job well done.

I think the game where there were 9 or so JLs with most of their members being baddies deserves mention. Randy leaderlynched Kiwi, who was priest or seer(can't remember) to save xav the cultie, then he messed up and said you were clear even though his sorc power scan didn't show that.

I think I still have the PMs you forwarded to me :)

But I can't seem to find the game or the PMs :(

Budget Crunch was pretty cool too, what with the 3-way suicide TIE that denied tamius the win.

Well it is just my opinion, and I done it extremely quickly, there's games I overlooked, games I never read or played in, and I've probably made some games up to be better than they were. Calling it flawed would be an understatement. War to end all Wars, for example, is a purely personal bias on my part, on any other criteria it wouldn't be close to a 'classic' game. Coruscant Nights many people regarded as a great game but again I am biased. But in my, er... 'vision' :/, that's fine, players would write about their own favourite games for their own personal reasons. Sometimes you can have a terrible game to watch, but where a few people actually have a great game. I just want a way of communicating to people the potential of the game.
Of course. A really great game is hard to appreciate if you die early or if you're not part of the plotting or the mayhem. The Siege of Rhodos I'm not sure was such a great game in reality but it was my first win and also the first game I made an impact in so I personally have fond memories from it.

I think most people have one or two of their earliest games among their favorites. I know Thistletooth liked The Wolves of Sherwood (which had a very flawed setup) and OY had a soft spot for his first appearance, Werewolves on holiday. von Loch Ness for some reason liked the Werenuts games.

It sure is weird imagining someone who started playing in what, July 2006? as a newbie :p But I guess you were! Although by the standards I use I would say everyone in that game was a newbie. I only stopped considering myself one after like 15 games.
I know. It felt weird even writing it. But I recall that is what it felt like when the big boys like J.Pass, snoop and jacob were juggling the penguin.

2006!? :eek:

I think the game where there were 9 or so JLs with most of their members being baddies deserves mention. Randy leaderlynched Kiwi, who was priest or seer(can't remember) to save xav the cultie, then he messed up and said you were clear even though his sorc power scan didn't show that.

I think I still have the PMs you forwarded to me :)

But I can't seem to find the game or the PMs :(

Budget Crunch was pretty cool too, what with the 3-way suicide TIE that denied tamius the win.

That's my cultist faction game : Springtime of Nations.

I didn't see a game I played in in your list, marty, so I propose:

Episode 1. Bloody Business.

It is a bloody business the one we're in. It is a bloody business.
It all started as a normal game, maybe not manned enough though. The setup was new and the players seemed to enjoy it. New experiments, new rules, a new way of playing that game. Should Control have expected it to be anything but normal, maybe. Certainly. The beauty of human nature is its unpredictability. It's its beauty, and its most frightening characteristic.
Day one, they kill half the wolf pack. What is Control supposed to do. The rules are specific. The aim of THE GAME was clear, a new experience in WW. This experience had to keep going.
A bloody business my friend.

Randy the wolf is lynched.
Yakman the wolf is lynched.
Enkuush the wolf is assassinated by the double-agents.

TNT the villager is hunted.

Slinky dibs for himself.

Control.​

Werewolf CXXIV, a drxav special. Three of the four wolves killed day one, the remaining wolf proceeds to hunt two seers in two nights and win on day four.

Wow, that was...an interesting game! Looks like a painstakingly, elaborately designed set-up, destroyed by a sledgehammer in one day :rofl:

Reminds me of another game I remember fondly, jacob's Werewolf-Lite-CXCII Re?~Return of WW Lite! In Canada!
I posted once in the thread during sign-up period but didn't join. jacob proceeds to put me on the list and assign me a role. I however, didn't see that and went off the paradox forums for a couple weeks. I came back, opened an unexpected role pm, worry that I had ruined the game for everybody by not showing up. Was too embarrassed to read the thread. Came back a fortnight, and finally bit the bullet and opened the thread.

I got to page 5, the end of Day 1 when I saw this...

Final Vote Count

lemeard 2: hax, eternaly lost
Reis 2: Trespoe, randakar
Hax 2: Lemeard, walrus
Randakar 2: jonti, slinky
slinky 1: Kaetje
Kaetje 1: Reis

non-voter: marty

....wow

:rofl:

Epic level...

uhhhh....I am at a loss of how to write this update....so here goes.

After finding their expedition comrade the hdk dead the group was blind with rage and vengeance. All reason was tossed aside and votes to kill one another were flying all over. There was a very unusual tie and arguments, telepathic likely since no one hardly spoke, raged. Indiana Jones (hax) and Mr. T (randakar) tried to rally the village towards certain people and while some success was had, the Portuguese cod fisherman (reis) took offense to the accusations. Finally unwilling to take their dirty insults anymore he jumped in the Volvo (lemeard) and despite not knowing hardly how to drive put the hammer down and rammed Indiana Jones (hax) and Mr. T (randakar) before realizing he was going too fast and couldn't stop before smashing himself and the Volvo (lemeard) into the cave walls exploding the two all over the place.

Luckily as the remaining expedition members assessed the situation they realized the corpses of Indiana Jones (hax) and Mr. T (randakar) had Nazi credentials upon them! Sadly The Volvo (lemeard) had been built with wireless internet and was somehow their expedition leader. The Portuguese Cod Fisherman (reis) was not really missed but was given a proper burial for having killed the wicked Nazis. Lacking their leader the group wandered around some more for several days before realizing the Nazi threat was gone but they also were running low on food, and going around in circles. So they headed back to the surface having failed to properly explore the cave.

Winners....somehow at day 1...

Jonti
Kaetje ~ Celine Dion
slinky ~ Dr. Daniel Jackson.
walrus
Trespoe ~ Bob and Doug MacKenzie
eternaly lost
marty99

:wacko::wacko::wacko:
Nobody realized my absence until later.

Some 4-ish weeks later:
Wait... I won this?? I didn't even know I was playing! BOOM!:rofl:

Sorry Jacob, but I was asking if there was any room left, I didn't confirm I was in. For some reason I got the impression that it was full so I left and forgot about werewolf for the next month or so. :eek:o

Sorry for the thread necromancy as well, but this is the first time I've seen this.
Happy New Year everybody.:D
That post doesn't do justice to the soup of difference emotions I felt at the moment, honestly.

I won a game I didn't realize I was playing, post in or read.

Like a Boss :D