• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Is it possible to have a custom province picture even if it's not an urban province?
Yes with DH

Hogar, delete (or move away spy_costs.txt from the db), as the values are now in misc.txt and it may overwrite. Otherwise I dunno how to fix this, its a spy compatibility problem from Arma 1.2 and Arma 1.3/DH, ask a modder or DH dev in a help thread.

Last edited:
All airports and almost all seaports(only Dalmatia left) are done. Have done some GFX changes and found some bugs in-game.
Nice!

What should be my next objective Hogar? Find someone who can fix the descriptions, the urban provinces, check the ministers or create new models?
I wouldn't like to introduce new models at this point because that would mean more events scripting, balancing, ai changes, etc...
Ministers are definitely something we can improve upon.
I would really like you to check land doctrines techs. This is from a player perspective that we need a feedback from. My goal was to separate doctrines to 3 parts, one for each major alliance.
- Serbs - dependant on firepower throughout the was and management of lack of manpower in the later years. YA also moved towards more professional army in mid 90's
- Bosniaks/Bosnians - initially drawing and absorbing defensively and human wave offensively + terrain usage. Later years I struggle how to best define but mostly better coordination and HQ events
- Croatians - initially same as Bosnians but later moving to firepower and combined ops.

What I've done to set up our tree was to just pick by name without too much consideration of actual tech effects. I would add up all of the techs for all of 3 parties in the war and see combined effects/improvements. That will tell us how balanced/unbalanced this is. You can also think how we can expand air doctrine tree. Just give me ideas you don't have to code anything. I'll do it for you!

Secret techs were inherited from old YW. It looks silly to me that Bosnians need a tech to get a help from like minded islamic countries, unless we see this as an effort required to open up to that world. I have introduced a new tech team skill (diplomacy) so maybe we could use that in this area. So could we use this for diplomatic relationship/national ideas. If you can have a look at this and tell me what you think. For each Serb tech we need one for other countries.
National ideas could be: Very large great serbia, great serbia, very large great bosnia, etc... This can lead to setting AI goals, etc.

Also I noticed you have removed some urban provinces in Bosnia? Maybe have Velika Kladusa as an urban provinces as it's the capital of WB? Is it possible to have a custom province picture even if it's not an urban province?
I've removed them because there was exceptionally large proportion of urban provinces in Bosnia. If I remember Jajce, Kladusa and some others which barely can be called cities (Kladusa has a cluster of large villages nearby it so it could qualify). Using same criteria we would have to make Vojvodina nearly all urban (lots of places of size like Jajce) or some places like Petrinja, Beli Manastir, etc...). I am happy to go with lots of urban places but we have to have the same criteria for all. I am more than happy to let you manage this as well. (Thanks to offer :)).
Also, note that I've made Mountains very difficult to attack as well.

I've made some changes to the map in Croatia/Bosnia disabling province links over Velebit, Neretva, Sava, Drina, etc... Otherwise it was too easy to cross rivers. I wanted to have strategic fights to control bridges just as it happened IRL. Do you mind having a look at this and sever links where this is required? I am especially keen for that in area between Foca-Igman. There we some big battles to control main passages through those mountains. Later we can look at Montenegro/Kosovo...

Also, I am seriously considering adding Kosovo back into the game. It will allow me to write events which I wouldn't be normally able if they are out of the game. This is for consideration only at the moment and it won't happen until I am happy with 10-day war, Croatian war and Bosnian war...

Last edited:
Hogar, delete (or move away spy_costs.txt from the db), as the values are now in misc.txt and it may overwrite. Otherwise I dunno how to fix this, its a spy compatibility problem from Arma 1.2 and Arma 1.3/DH, ask a modder or DH dev in a help thread.
I've done what you've suggested. It did not help. I'll ask elsewhere. Cheers.

It looks silly to me that Bosnians need a tech to get a help from like minded islamic countries, unless we see this as an effort required to open up to that world. I have introduced a new tech team skill (diplomacy) so maybe we could use that in this area.
These were generic techs really. And from my research now, islamist support came after the beginning of attacks on muslim Bosniaks in 1991-1992. Then there were backroom agreements and negotiations for arms supply (the more i research the more i am disgusted by the amount of cooperation between USA and terrorism in Bosnia, working with the same people they are fighting today).

Specifically, Sherman charged that in 1992 Acting Secretary of State Lawrence Eagleburger had instructed Warren Zimmerman, U.S. Ambassador in Belgrade, to persuade Bosnian President Izetbegovic to renege on his agreement to preserve Bosnian-Croatian-Serbian unity, and instead accept American aid for an independent Bosnian state.44
Also anyone know what exactly is this agreement that is mentioned?

Last edited:
Politics in the Balkans was extremely dirty. Severed heads football you see in Syria now was seen in Bosnia too. Shame that sort of extremism was imported as locals would never have done anything similar, not in million years.
I've never heard about this agreement between Izetbegovic and Eaglebureger. Hax might now.

@Hax
Could you please think about the national ideas concept? We could use one of the technology screens for it. I would like it to influence the ai behaviour and player actions alike.
Example: If YUG is running an idea of Titoism then Slovenia secession is condemned and AI is more likely to attack. Going against the national idea caused dissent hit.

Serbs could have: Yugoslavia; Great Serbia; Benevolent Serbia
Bosniaks could have: Yugoslavia; Great Bosnia; what ever else
Croatia could have: Croatia only, Banovina and Great Croatia
Yugoslavia would have: Titoism, Confederation, ???

Yes with DH

Found an issue in button_area folder. It looks like icons size is off.
Other issues were caused by the text files. It looks really nice now :).

nice!

I wouldn't like to introduce new models at this point because that would mean more events scripting, balancing, ai changes, etc...
Ministers are definitely something we can improve upon.
I would really like you to check land doctrines techs. This is from a player perspective that we need a feedback from. My goal was to separate doctrines to 3 parts, one for each major alliance.
- serbs - dependant on firepower throughout the was and management of lack of manpower in the later years. Ya also moved towards more professional army in mid 90's
- bosniaks/bosnians - initially drawing and absorbing defensively and human wave offensively + terrain usage. Later years i struggle how to best define but mostly better coordination and hq events
- croatians - initially same as bosnians but later moving to firepower and combined ops.

What i've done to set up our tree was to just pick by name without too much consideration of actual tech effects. I would add up all of the techs for all of 3 parties in the war and see combined effects/improvements. That will tell us how balanced/unbalanced this is. You can also think how we can expand air doctrine tree. Just give me ideas you don't have to code anything. I'll do it for you!

Secret techs were inherited from old yw. It looks silly to me that bosnians need a tech to get a help from like minded islamic countries, unless we see this as an effort required to open up to that world. I have introduced a new tech team skill (diplomacy) so maybe we could use that in this area. So could we use this for diplomatic relationship/national ideas. If you can have a look at this and tell me what you think. For each serb tech we need one for other countries.
National ideas could be: Very large great serbia, great serbia, very large great bosnia, etc... This can lead to setting ai goals, etc.

I think I meant the wrong thing when saying models. Isn't models those small pictures in the unit list?

If I understood you correct you want names and benefits for the techs? Could we please continue this discussion in this thread. I will do that just explain a bit what exactly I/we should do.

I've removed them because there was exceptionally large proportion of urban provinces in bosnia. If i remember jajce, kladusa and some others which barely can be called cities (kladusa has a cluster of large villages nearby it so it could qualify). Using same criteria we would have to make vojvodina nearly all urban (lots of places of size like jajce) or some places like petrinja, beli manastir, etc...). I am happy to go with lots of urban places but we have to have the same criteria for all. I am more than happy to let you manage this as well. (thanks to offer :)).
Also, note that i've made mountains very difficult to attack as well.

I agree with you on this! But I would like to have Kladusa as an urban province just because it was the capital of WB. HB and RS should during the game get an event to change capital to Banja Luka respective Mostar but with other options as well.
Also Negoslavci(the new province near Vukovar) should be plain and not urban.

I've made some changes to the map in croatia/bosnia disabling province links over velebit, neretva, sava, drina, etc... Otherwise it was too easy to cross rivers. I wanted to have strategic fights to control bridges just as it happened irl. Do you mind having a look at this and sever links where this is required? I am especially keen for that in area between foca-igman. There we some big battles to control main passages through those mountains. Later we can look at montenegro/kosovo...

Yes I will look on that!

Also, i am seriously considering adding kosovo back into the game. It will allow me to write events which i wouldn't be normally able if they are out of the game. This is for consideration only at the moment and it won't happen until i am happy with 10-day war, croatian war and bosnian war...

You know my statement in this question. :happy: But have you planned to have it as in previous versions, that is Kosovo existing just a week/month and then via event Serbia/Yugoslavia gets an event to revoke their autonomy(I know it happened in 89 but as our mod starts in 91 it should just be there for events and if someone wants to play with Kosovo.

Does somebody know why Kosovo didn't get their independence much earlier, why seeking it in 1999? I know that they had an referendum in early 90's and some 98% of the population(I guess only Albanians voted) wanted independence but why was it never proclaimed? Why not use their chance when it was war in Croatia and Bosnia, the Serbian army wouldn't be able to fight on all fronts?

these were generic techs really. And from my research now, islamist support came after the beginning of attacks on muslim bosniaks in 1991-1992. Then there were backroom agreements and negotiations for arms supply (the more i research the more i am disgusted by the amount of cooperation between usa and terrorism in bosnia, working with the same people they are fighting today).

I totally agree. Some other examples are the Soviet invasion when the US aided the talibans and we know how it's today. Iraq was "backed-up" by the west during the Iraq-Iran war. Thousands of examples exists, something that just confirms how bad we humans are.

"The enemy of my enemy is my friend". (a good loading quote :))

specifically, sherman charged that in 1992 acting secretary of state lawrence eagleburger had instructed warren zimmerman, u.s. Ambassador in belgrade, to persuade bosnian president izetbegovic to renege on his agreement to preserve bosnian-croatian-serbian unity, and instead accept american aid for an independent bosnian state.44
also anyone know what exactly is this agreement that is mentioned?

Have never heard about this agreement but it seems a bit odd as Bosnia proclaimed their independence from SFRY on 1 March 1992. The independence wasn't planned during one night(even if it was badly planned) so this agreement seems not realistic if I have read it correctly. Why would Izetbegovic not accept support from the USA if it was given, especially when the Croatian war was raging and the proclamation of SAO's in Bosnia?

@hax
could you please think about the national ideas concept? We could use one of the technology screens for it. I would like it to influence the ai behaviour and player actions alike.
Example: If yug is running an idea of titoism then slovenia secession is condemned and ai is more likely to attack. Going against the national idea caused dissent hit.

Serbs could have: Yugoslavia; great serbia; benevolent serbia
bosniaks could have: Yugoslavia; great bosnia; what ever else
croatia could have: Croatia only, banovina and great croatia
yugoslavia would have: Titoism, confederation, ???

I like the idea of national ideas and I think we should use the tech slot more then we are doing now. I agree with the three option line and think it should be like this:
Serbs: Yugoslavia, modern/benevolent Serbia, great Serbia
Bosniaks: Yugoslavia, modern/benevolent Bosnia, great Bosnia
Croatia: Yugoslavia, modern/benevolent Croatia, great Croatia (isn't Banovina and Great Croatia the same thing?)
Yugoslavia: Titoism(strict communism), confederation(high autonomy and liberty but more towards communism then liberalism), market liberal Yugoslavia(maybe sub-choice if the republics/nations should get more liberty)

The choices would give various benefits and disadvantages. But I don't know how we shall represent the Yugoslav doctrine as Yug was more of a proto-Serbia in the late 80's and early 90's. Who caused and started the breakdown of Yugoslavia is a difficult and dangerous question. I will say all sides did that in some way but it doesn't justify the mass killings which was done by some.

found an issue in button_area folder. It looks like icons size is off.
Other issues were caused by the text files. It looks really nice now :).

Great! :cool:

I think I meant the wrong thing when saying models. Isn't models those small pictures in the unit list?
I know what you mean - model graphics. I thought you wanted more models in the game.
I agree that needs to be changed but I would like it to be linked to game models already in game. I'll take this discussion to Flags and shields later today.

If I understood you correct you want names and benefits for the techs? Could we please continue this discussion in this thread. I will do that just explain a bit what exactly I/we should do.
OK. I'll try to be precise this time.

I agree with you on this! But I would like to have Kladusa as an urban province just because it was the capital of WB. HB and RS should during the game get an event to change capital to Banja Luka respective Mostar but with other options as well.
Also Negoslavci(the new province near Vukovar) should be plain and not urban.
We have also capitals in Okucani, Grude and Pale which are hardly cities. Is capital really a good criteria? Moving capitals can be managed, agree.

You know my statement in this question. :happy: But have you planned to have it as in previous versions, that is Kosovo existing just a week/month and then via event Serbia/Yugoslavia gets an event to revoke their autonomy(I know it happened in 89 but as our mod starts in 91 it should just be there for events and if someone wants to play with Kosovo.

Does somebody know why Kosovo didn't get their independence much earlier, why seeking it in 1999? I know that they had an referendum in early 90's and some 98% of the population(I guess only Albanians voted) wanted independence but why was it never proclaimed? Why not use their chance when it was war in Croatia and Bosnia, the Serbian army wouldn't be able to fight on all fronts?
Kosovo will be a Serbian puppet state until revolver kicks in. Still not sure how I will manage that but eventually...
Serbia and Yugoslavia since late 80's kept huge force in Kosovo to keep it in check. Something I will try to manage hence the thinking if Kosovo is in the game it might be easier to limit revolt risk, events, etc to a certain area.

I like the idea of national ideas and I think we should use the tech slot more then we are doing now. I agree with the three option line and think it should be like this:
Serbs: Yugoslavia, modern/benevolent Serbia, great Serbia
Bosniaks: Yugoslavia, modern/benevolent Bosnia, great Bosnia
Croatia: Yugoslavia, modern/benevolent Croatia, great Croatia (isn't Banovina and Great Croatia the same thing?)
Yugoslavia: Titoism(strict communism), confederation(high autonomy and liberty but more towards communism then liberalism), market liberal Yugoslavia(maybe sub-choice if the republics/nations should get more liberty)
I will use this as a blue print to model AI behaviour and event until we push these into techs. Initially these choices will be hardcoded in the background through flags or simple choice events. We could also model this depending on government type:
e.g. far left options-> Yugo, some moderate options -> modern independent states, far right -> looking at the degrees of increased state.
Not sure how this fits with Serbia as even left options seemed radical in terms of expansion or protection, depending which point of view once take.

Great Serbia: Bosnia (parts of it) + Serbia + Vojvodina + Kosovo + Montenegro + parts of Croatia
Greater Serbia: Bosnia + Serbia + Vojvodina + kosovo + Montenegro + parts of Croatia + Macedonia
Great Croatia: Croatia + parts of Bosnia
Greater Croatia: Croatia + Bosnia + parts of Serbia
Great Bosnia: Bosnia + Sandzak
Greater Bosnia: Bosnia + Sandzak + parts of Dalmatian coast.

I need these to help me guide Ai through peace and war situations. e.g. Slovenia war was short because there was no interest by Serbs to keep them in the same state which is in line with our Natioanal Ideas. perhaps we can take this discussion to techs forum?

We have also capitals in Okucani, Grude and Pale which are hardly cities. Is capital really a good criteria? Moving capitals can be managed, agree.

I think I expressed myself wrong. I would like to just have Kladusa as an urban province while Pale, Okucani and Grude should continue be what they currently are. However RS and HB should get an event where they choose to change their capital to another city(urban ones). Do we agree?

Kosovo will be a Serbian puppet state until revolver kicks in. Still not sure how I will manage that but eventually...
Serbia and Yugoslavia since late 80's kept huge force in Kosovo to keep it in check. Something I will try to manage hence the thinking if Kosovo is in the game it might be easier to limit revolt risk, events, etc to a certain area.

Okay I see, but as you said let's first make the Slovenian, Croatian and Bosnian war good then we can turn to the other conflicts.

I will use this as a blue print to model AI behaviour and event until we push these into techs. Initially these choices will be hardcoded in the background through flags or simple choice events. We could also model this depending on government type:
e.g. far left options-> Yugo, some moderate options -> modern independent states, far right -> looking at the degrees of increased state.
Not sure how this fits with Serbia as even left options seemed radical in terms of expansion or protection, depending which point of view once take.

Great Serbia: Bosnia (parts of it) + Serbia + Vojvodina + Kosovo + Montenegro + parts of Croatia
Greater Serbia: Bosnia + Serbia + Vojvodina + kosovo + Montenegro + parts of Croatia + Macedonia
Great Croatia: Croatia + parts of Bosnia
Greater Croatia: Croatia + Bosnia + parts of Serbia
Great Bosnia: Bosnia + Sandzak
Greater Bosnia: Bosnia + Sandzak + parts of Dalmatian coast.

I need these to help me guide Ai through peace and war situations. e.g. Slovenia war was short because there was no interest by Serbs to keep them in the same state which is in line with our Natioanal Ideas. perhaps we can take this discussion to techs forum?

I like this, but don't complicate stuff and create more then you can handle. :happy:
Also I found these maps of Greater Croatia and Greater Serbia.

The airbases and ports are done, I will send you this tomorrow, must go to sleep now. Cheers mate! :cool:

I think I expressed myself wrong. I would like to just have Kladusa as an urban province while Pale, Okucani and Grude should continue be what they currently are. However RS and HB should get an event where they choose to change their capital to another city(urban ones). Do we agree?
When you look at the adjacent provinces make this change too. i am not planning on adding WB into the game yet. Need to ensure Bihac can survive in the first place. Not easy surrounded like it was.

I like this, but don't complicate stuff and create more then you can handle. :happy:
Oh man, then you need to see some of the other stuff I've coded over the last week or two... Complexity is not a word that can explain what was done... ;)

The airbases and ports are done, I will send you this tomorrow, must go to sleep now. Cheers mate! :cool:
Cool. This is all just one file (bases.inc) right? Send me that file only and I'll fix other inc files.

When you look at the adjacent provinces make this change too. i am not planning on adding WB into the game yet. Need to ensure Bihac can survive in the first place. Not easy surrounded like it was.

Okay I will do that. But do you think Vinkovci should be an urban province?

Oh man, then you need to see some of the other stuff I've coded over the last week or two... Complexity is not a word that can explain what was done... ;)

Hehe keep fighting. Did you solve the relation problem between the countries?

Cool. This is all just one file (bases.inc) right? Send me that file only and I'll fix other inc files.

Nope it's two files(airbases and ports). I have sent you this on PM. Could we crew members maybe get an updated version of the mod from you(with all working stuff)?

EDIT: Hogar, I like your signature but you should lower the font size to 3. I think it is against the rules to have that big font, at least it was so some years ago. :)

Last edited:
Okay I will do that. But do you think Vinkovci should be an urban province?
It is as big as Vukovar with a cluster of large villages around it. I also need something to slow down YUG armour in 1991. Negoslavci should be plains. Leftover from latest map change.

Did you solve the relation problem between the countries?
. Mostly working fine. To be able to go independent a country must cut its ties to YUG, budget, referendum, constitutional changes... gets messy as they need to trigger at approximately historical times. So gauging relations is challenging.
Could we crew members maybe get an updated version of the mod from you(with all working stuff)?
I'll look to give you a new version for the weekend. Good enough?

I like your signature but you should lower the font size to 3. I think it is against the rules to have that big font, at least it was so some years ago. :)
hanks and fixed.

It is as big as Vukovar with a cluster of large villages around it. I also need something to slow down YUG armour in 1991. Negoslavci should be plains. Leftover from latest map change.

Okay I agree that Vinkovci should be urban. Have you changed Negoslavci or do you want me to do that?

I'll look to give you a new version for the weekend. Good enough?

Yes take your time there is no hurry. :)

It doesn't look like I'll make enough progress for a decent release before this weekend.

Hardest work was completed with Slovenia and Croatia declaring independence at approximately historical timeframe. However, I need to now get Serb states to do similar job separating from Bosnia/Croatia. I have blueprints so it shouldn't take too long. After I get this I will clean-up some of the annoying flavour events. At that point we should be a step closer to an internal release.

Hax, please attach your files at website which won't ask me to install their installer.
I can also confirm I have lost all of my Graphics work. I had 100s of pictures with nearly every model of weapon used in YUG. It took me days of searching to find them. I have no idea how I lost them. You will need to look for pictures your self. Sorry!

It doesn't look like I'll make enough progress for a decent release before this weekend.

Hardest work was completed with Slovenia and Croatia declaring independence at approximately historical timeframe. However, I need to now get Serb states to do similar job separating from Bosnia/Croatia. I have blueprints so it shouldn't take too long. After I get this I will clean-up some of the annoying flavour events. At that point we should be a step closer to an internal release.

Okay no problem take your time. :)

Hax, please attach your files at website which won't ask me to install their installer.
I can also confirm I have lost all of my Graphics work. I had 100s of pictures with nearly every model of weapon used in YUG. It took me days of searching to find them. I have no idea how I lost them. You will need to look for pictures your self. Sorry!

Shame but I will try to find good pictures.

I have created a MEGA upload account, please remove some PM's(your inbox is full) so I can send my stuff to you.