• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I've been looking at the fundamental AI issue for quite a bit. YUG AI won't participate properly in any war. I believe issue is that as the leader of alliance but landless creates some sort of an AI mental blockade.
In the end I've changed the approach and I've made Serbia a leader of Serbs (probably no-one will have issue with this) but following Slovenia war, I also make YUG controlled by SER. There will be individuals which will find this odd (perhaps this is not 100% historically accurate) but I cannot resolve it otherwise. I've spend enough time on this to state it is either impossible or exceeds my modding abilities.

Hence - following 10-day war AI YUG get an event "Death of Tito's Yugoslavia" which gives military control to SER. End result are JNA units under Serbian flag trying to save or 'save' Yugoslavia. I am moving on to fine tunning AI... Any objections???

Sounds like an elegant choice, and not too far from reality either. An active historic JNA probably can only be possible with a player honestly. But if the AI can be made usefull in such complex scenarios, its great.

Thanks. in fact this events triggers only for AI.
JNA set up in the game from the moment I started working on it was just a problem. How to ensure partial involvement, or JNA going into war with Slovenia with only local troops, or ensure right units switch from JNA to successor armies, lack of man power, etc...

In game, when war starts in Croatia, I basically start switching units from that point to Krajina, Bosnian Serbs and Montenegro. What is left by the end of this process is still JNA but controlled by Serbia. Game just cannot model complex JNA involvement where some units genuinely tried to separate warring sides and some were openly fighting for Serbs while other are happy to camp in barracks.

Splitting army early ensures that on example 7th Knin Corps becomes part of Krajina Army. Otherwise there is no guaranty 7th Corps wouldn't be deployed in Macedonia by AI.

Finally this means in game we will have several Serb armies in 1991 attacking Croatia. Due to AI moddability these will still behave as one army. This way we preserve most historical accuracy... As JRH states, this is not far from truth anyway.

The new forum looks alright to me

No you aren't testing anything. You're just inflating your post count muahahaha!

Seriously though, as soon as they fix all the broken features, this forum will be nice and neat.

Reactions:
having issues with AI mostly. there is no event scripting any more. perhaps sarajevo peace deal needs some enhancements.

EDIT: little effort going into the game at the moment. really tied up with work. will do more soon. sorry guys.

Last edited:
I know I'm late but I'll throw my thoughts.

First of all, thanks for effort in building the mod. I honestly believe a 99% historicaly plausable recreation is impossible (beacue of extremly complex politics during the conflict which simply can't be modeled with the games engine).

A similar problem I remember, was encountered by a Croatian guy modelling the war for TOAW 3. He actually did quite a good, playable scenario, but he ommitted some stuff completely (TOAW engine only allows 2 sides in a scenario, so for example in 1993 there is no Bosniaks-Croats war).

I advise the same route, stick to simplicity, use DH puppet regime feature for various smaller satelites (SAOs, HRHB), don't try to recreate the war to the fullest (I don't how could you design JNA barracks trapped in enemys land, UN forces on part of the teritory, later NATO air missions which partialy threatend and kept the RS in check etc etc...).

Also, by looking on the first page it seems to me that Vojvodina and Sandzhak are not integral part of Serbia (but puppet regimes I guess ??). I think this is an error, it would be better if these 2 regions and maybe Montenegrro are from the start integral parts of Serbia/SR Jugoslavia.

P.S, and about the qoutes in the game, I have some solid proposition:

Borders are always dictated by the strong, never by the weak ... We simply consider it as a legitimate right and interest of the Serb nation to live in one state.
Slobodan Milošević, 16 March 1991

Do not do anything against the Army. (…) the presence of the Army is a stabilizing factor to us, and we need that Army
Alija Izetbegovic on JNA

Dayton isn't working. Nobody - except diplomats and petty officials – believes in a sovereign Bosnia and the Dayton accords
Franjo Tudjman on BIH

Last edited:
ivan grozzny said:
First of all, thanks for effort in building the mod. I honestly believe a 99% historicaly plausable recreation is impossible (beacue of extremly complex politics during the conflict which simply can't be modeled with the games engine).

A similar problem I remember, was encountered by a Croatian guy modelling the war for TOAW 3. He actually did quite a good, playable scenario, but he ommitted some stuff completely (TOAW engine only allows 2 sides in a scenario, so for example in 1993 there is no Bosniaks-Croats war).
Thanks for compliments. I'll look into this game.

ivan grozzny said:
I advise the same route, stick to simplicity, use DH puppet regime feature for various smaller satelites (SAOs, HRHB), don't try to recreate the war to the fullest (I don't how could you design JNA barracks trapped in enemys land, UN forces on part of the teritory, later NATO air missions which partialy threatend and kept the RS in check etc etc...).
There is a lot to read but I've done quite a bit of work to be as correct as game mechanics would allow it. In same cases game rules just have to win (e.g. Almost every side will field more units in Croatian war to ensure there are enough units in the game to form front lines). Surprise... but JNA barracks events are in the game, thanks to superior event engine Paradox built.

ivan grozzny said:
Also, by looking on the first page it seems to me that Vojvodina and Sandzhak are not integral part of Serbia (but puppet regimes I guess ??). I think this is an error, it would be better if these 2 regions and maybe Montenegrro are from the start integral parts of Serbia/SR Jugoslavia.

We need to redesign the front page. Some of the things posted there are not longer correct. Vojvodina, Kosovo and Sandzak are not in the game at the moment. I am planning to have later two as revolters. In the game are Serbian autonomous regions Western Slavonia and Eastern Slavonia as puppets of Krajina which are not listed on the front page.

Aim is to release something real soon but with only two-three part timers this is not going as fast as we would like. Do you have any skills/will to help us out?

Last edited:
Aim is to release something real soon but with only two-three part timers this is not going as fast as we would like. Do you have any skills/will to help us out?

Well I haven't got any experience with DH mods (except playing them :D )
Though, I have some (dated) C++ knowledge, a bit of AutoCAD and some experience with arduino microcontrollers. I could also be a good tester I think.

I suppose there is some DH editor where everything is done or ?

Maybe you can give me a link to the editor and the latest edition of the mod and I can see how much I can help.

P.S some other great political qotes:

''I have started to hate chess because of the chequerboard'' (the chequerboard is in Croatian coat-of-arms)
Mile Djukanovic, Prime Minister of Montennegro

We shall make more beautiful, more older Dubrovnik!
Bozidar Vucurevic, during the shelling of the historical city of Dubrovnik

Last edited:
I suppose there is some DH editor where everything is done or ?

Maybe you can give me a link to the editor and the latest edition of the mod and I can see how much I can help.
There are tools which we use but there isn't such a thing as editor for all. I think we would love to have testers. Let's see what Hax (mod lead) say about your offer. Thanks for showing interest!

having issues with AI mostly. there is no event scripting any more. perhaps sarajevo peace deal needs some enhancements.

EDIT: little effort going into the game at the moment. really tied up with work. will do more soon. sorry guys.

Any progress? :) Have you switched YUG territory -> Serbia while the units still belongs to YUG?

How is the progress with converting decisions to chains of events?

P.S, and about the qoutes in the game, I have some solid proposition:

Borders are always dictated by the strong, never by the weak ... We simply consider it as a legitimate right and interest of the Serb nation to live in one state.
Slobodan Milošević, 16 March 1991

Do not do anything against the Army. (…) the presence of the Army is a stabilizing factor to us, and we need that Army
Alija Izetbegovic on JNA

Dayton isn't working. Nobody - except diplomats and petty officials – believes in a sovereign Bosnia and the Dayton accords
Franjo Tudjman on BIH

Thanks for the compliments and you are never late to join us! We welcome all the help we can get.

Hogar has developed great AI's, OOB's and chain events(including battle of barracks) but there is still a lot left to do. We are first going to 'complete' the wars before we try to add NATO/UN to the game.

The first page hasn't been updated for years(?), so the maps and descriptions aren't up to date with our current internal mod version. Thanks for reminding me, I will try to fix that in the following days.

Thanks for the quotes! Please share more of them.

P.S some other great political qotes:

''I have started to hate chess because of the chequerboard'' (the chequerboard is in Croatian coat-of-arms)
Mile Djukanovic, Prime Minister of Montennegro

We shall make more beautiful, more older Dubrovnik!
Bozidar Vucurevic, during the shelling of the historical city of Dubrovnik

Well if you haven't modded at all before why not try to mod in some quotes? That would add some nice flavour while you could learn basic scripting.

I'm having issues with installation each time I try to start DH up I get an error saying. "--- excel file not found"

I wouldn't recommend that you download or play any versions posted on our DH thread, they are full of holes and bugs. Hopefully we will have a new DH version before summer. Soon. ;)