• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
And what about production of ships in foreign countries. Not those licensed.
Some countries payed for ships to be build in f.e Italy so its Italian IC that should be used. Or will it not be in?

I doubt it (as stated in my post before).
You design your division out of the brigades and on the field, you get 1 division with the statistics of these brigades but can't see the brigades any more....
If You are right, I'm not to happy about it.
As Johan said - Division is for movement and battles. So Brigades are seen in the Division screen. Also Brigades are upgraded separately.
But if this is right and it means You can move Your brigades, I'm fine.

I wonder... If, say, Tannu Tuva (in real WW2) used soviet model rifles of type x during 1944, will their Small arms tech level equivalent to type x be named after the soviet version, or will it have a generic name? I mean, supposing they did not historically develop any rifles themselves (but used blueprints from other nations)?

If Germany (in the game, ahistorically) shares technology with Nicaragua, will Nicaraguan infantrymen be armed with "Sturmgewehr 44" or "generic rifle '44"?

Right, my mistake, it's production under licence, not ordering production abroad. Thanks for clarifying that. :)

They key thing of course is you gain the practical for it, boosting your own R&D efforts in that field.

I wonder... If, say, Tannu Tuva (in real WW2) used soviet model rifles of type x during 1944, will their Small arms tech level equivalent to type x be named after the soviet version, or will it have a generic name? I mean, supposing they did not historically develop any rifles themselves (but used blueprints from other nations)?

If Germany (in the game, ahistorically) shares technology with Nicaragua, will Nicaraguan infantrymen be armed with "Sturmgewehr 44" or "generic rifle '44"?

They will use foreign name - not generic.

Johan:
"When the unit is complete you gain that model type and name (until you upgrade it) and increases your own practical experience (which will assist your own research efforts in the future). This costs money but can be money well spent. Of course, these, as well as expeditionary forces retain the model & tech names of their origin, until upgraded."

Looking really great, Paradox!

So UK can use Shermans if they are better. But if they want to do it they have to build new Divs? Or can they upgrade from f.e Crusader to Sherman?

So UK can use Shermans if they are better. But if they want to do it they have to build new Divs? Or can they upgrade from f.e Crusader to Sherman?

When the unit is complete you gain that model type and name (until you upgrade it) and increases your own practical experience (which will assist your own research efforts in the future). This costs money but can be money well spent. Of course, these, as well as expeditionary forces retain the model & tech names of their origin, until upgraded.

So I guess the answer is yes, which will be a bit ridiculous. Crusader to Sherman? Sounds like Transformers.

I still have a bit of trouble understanding the system (after talking to a friend) so I thought I'd ask here.

Can I, as Germany, give technologies for German tanks, weapons, planes, etc. to Finland? Or will Finland have to build units in my country? :confused:

mm nice job

This seems a cool idea, particularly if one is playing a mid-level power wanting to expand his naval projection. It would certainly be cool if I, as Franco's Spain, was able to buy the blueprints for a couple of Admiral Hipper-class heavy cruisers to start off my new, all-fascist Mediterranean fleet. :D

I still have a bit of trouble understanding the system (after talking to a friend) so I thought I'd ask here.

Can I, as Germany, give technologies for German tanks, weapons, planes, etc. to Finland? Or will Finland have to build units in my country? :confused:
As someone said earlier: it's production under licence, not ordering production abroad

We have also added a pretty neat form of technology sharing, building units under licence. You can buy the right to build units from other countries at their technology and practical experience level but with your IC.
It doesn't make sense to be able to use someone elses practical values :S

Thats like if South africa or New Zealand could start building Aircraft carriers at home really cheap just because they are allied with UK...

Or more dangerously, if Germany can build Aircraft carriers really cheap beeing allied with Japan. With Soviet defeated, what reason do they have to not be allied?

Wasn't this excatlly the kind of exploit your were trying to prevent when introducing practical values? With this system Germany doesn't even have to research to convert to naval production, just formally ally with Japan and magically all their factories can build high tech Carriers and CAGs at max effeciency.

However perhaps the biggest change is to gearing. Rather than having you stick on long production queues that become more efficient over time, a country has a number of practical values representing its accumulated experience in producing certain types of equipment. These decay over time, so to keep yourself up to date you need to keep continually producing equipment of this type.
Can you perhaps explain your thinking here? Because in my book it doesn't make sense to use someone else accumulated experience in your own inexperienced factories. Production experience is more than a few imported engineers. Its all from subcontractors, logistics flows, special tools & methods, optimized production lines, and so on.

Last edited:
This seems a cool idea, particularly if one is playing a mid-level power wanting to expand his naval projection. It would certainly be cool if I, as Franco's Spain, was able to buy the blueprints for a couple of Admiral Hipper-class heavy cruisers to start off my new, all-fascist Mediterranean fleet. :D

thats the plan.

yes the UK can buy the sherman design and produce them, or just buy the completed unit (I hope the purchase unit thing is less stringent in HoI3 and that the unit is cheaper simulating equipment transfer)

And after the UK builds some Sherman equipped units, these units can be upgraded to x type, or the next available UK unit. However, the upgrade has to be advanced enough to warrant a complete tank type overhaul. In other words, just upgrading the armor or gun would not be enough to call the tanks crusaders or something, rather it should be called firefly, etc.

They key thing of course is you gain the practical for it, boosting your own R&D efforts in that field.
Will I even need to continue research in that field? As I understand it, once I as a country build a unit under license I get the techs for it. But doesn't that mean that I could be skipping A LOT of research? If Germany allows Hungary to build Panthers under license when their tech level would've allowed them to build only Mark III's, isn't that sort of unfair? It'll also have the side effect of alliances (whether axis, allies or comintern) being at the same tech level since all you'll do is divide up the research then let each other build under license for free so you can get the rest of the techs.
Any thoughts?