• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Im sure it has been asked already, but i dont want to go though all the pages, is anybody else curious about the speed of the ships? Destroyers going 120MPH? light cruisers 112? Those are some fast boats!

Im sure it has been asked already, but i dont want to go though all the pages, is anybody else curious about the speed of the ships? Destroyers going 120MPH? light cruisers 112? Those are some fast boats!

its alpha meaning they just typed any old numbers in there for now

Well, if they *mean* KPH, which is reasonable for a European developer, then the destroyers are only ~75MPH. Still sounds high, so I'm guessing Alpha numbers for now, fitting in as much naval action into as small a time window as possible to try to decouple the Naval War from what may be happening on land, and possible AI switches. Only problem is that means it also gets screwy with the Air War, so I hope to see something more reasonable soon... :)

I think he means the factions symbol (AFAIK) in the top right corner.

Yes, exactly what I meant ^^

I believe there should be some tech level country must have to be able to accept lets say Sherman/ PZ IV level of tanks for instance.

I agree. If you want to produce Sherman/Pz IV tanks you probably need higher industrial technology than if you were to produce FT-17/Pz I

It would be interesting if one could buy "old" equipment like the FT-17 (Thinking what would happen if China bought 1000 FT-17 - would it have an impact?)

It'd be nice to have a choice in diplomatic negotiations to ask the other part what they want (In which case they go to the highest on their BATFA (best alternative to a failed agreement)), and then you have to spend money, diplomatic points etc. in order to reduce it :)

Just having fixed monetary values is a little so-so in my point of view :)
If you really do want a license, military access etc. And you are willing to pay huge amounts for it (in money, resources, licenses or Diplomatic points), then you should be able to ^^

(Also, the ability to place "information" in the diplomatic community, e.g. "We want this and this, and we're willing to pay extra for it, anyone interested?"

Awesome Johan. I'm glad to see licensing finally made it in. Thanks for the good information! :)

The licensing idea is awesome. If the AI can utilize it effectively, then it's going to be even better.

I had a quick naming idea for division, brigade, tech, etc for minors and I hope that this hasn't been proposed already in the 15 pages of comments.

My idea has to do with your relationship toward the majors. If for example you are Argentina and you have a strong relationship and are ideologically similar to Germany then perhaps your technologies after those of Germany. If on the other hand you had this relationship with USA you would name the techs after US techs.

This would give some flavor for some minors at the expense of realism, but at least it would be better than naming techs Small Arms 1943.

I'm kinda disappointed that you aren't able to upgun a ship's main guns, as historically there were occasions where ships were upgunned or where there were plans to upgun. Examples would be the Japanese Mogami class, which originally was armed with 15 6" guns (5x 3-gun turrets) and were upgunned to use 10 8" guns (5x 2-gun turrets). There were plans to upgun the german Scharnhorst and Gneisenau from their 11" guns to 15" guns, with the 11" gun turrets to be used for 3 of the Kreuzer-P class Panzerschiffe as part of Germany's Plan Z. Gneisenau was quite nearly converted until she was damaged (the 15" gun turrets had already been built for it), after Gneisenau was damaged, it was decided to use the guns as coastal artillery. I understand that I wouldn't want such an upgrade to happen automatically, but I would like the option to put my ships into port and do such an upgrade (If playing as Germany, the option to upgun the 2 Scharnhorst class ships could be more cost effective than building 2 new battleships from scratch)

Last edited:
I'm kinda disappointed that you aren't able to upgun a ship's main guns, as historically there were occasions where ships were upgunned or where there were plans to upgun. Examples would be the Japanese Mogami class, which originally was armed with 15 6" guns (5x 3-gun turrets) and were upgunned to use 10 8" guns (5x 2-gun turrets). There were plans to upgun the german Scharnhorst and Gneisenau from their 11" guns to 15" guns, with the 11" gun turrets to be used for 3 of the Kreuzer-P class Panzerschiffe as part of Germany's Plan Z. Gneisenau was quite nearly converted until she was damaged (the 15" gun turrets had already been built for it), after Gneisenau was damaged, it was decided to use the guns as coastal artillery. I understand that I wouldn't want such an upgrade to happen automatically, but I would like the option to put my ships into port and do such an upgrade (If playing as Germany, the option to upgun the 2 Scharnhorst class ships could be more cost effective than building 2 new battleships from scratch)

King said it wasn't an option in-game, but hopefully we can quickly mod it in.

He or Johan showed some lines of code (upgrading RADAR, AA, armour, &c.), so hopefully it's just a case of adding primary and secondary guns to this list and one can upgrade them.

I still think ships should have to be out of service for major upgrades to take place, though. I would hate to be having a ship's armour upgraded when she's actually on patrol in the Arctic. :eek:o

As said, ships artillery was replaced, some ships had them replaced several times during their service. Not always do you change to larger calibre gund, because sometimes you can't because the ship isn't large enough, but then you perhaps might change to new guns with faster rate of fire that will increase fire power quite a lot.

and "main guns" does not neccessary mean only the guns itself. It would include rangefinders, ammunition and the complete mechanism of the turrets itself, which could be changed more easiely than the whole guns.

I fully agree

I had a quick naming idea for division, brigade, tech, etc for minors and I hope that this hasn't been proposed already in the 15 pages of comments.

My idea has to do with your relationship toward the majors. If for example you are Argentina and you have a strong relationship and are ideologically similar to Germany then perhaps your technologies after those of Germany. If on the other hand you had this relationship with USA you would name the techs after US techs.

This would give some flavor for some minors at the expense of realism, but at least it would be better than naming techs Small Arms 1943.

I like this idea.

Yes would be awesome, you could even name tank/airplane models and so after the major your closest to where you don't have names of your own.

I think the easiest way would be have "neutral" names linked to a "faction" name for everything. Say PanzerIV, Sherman, T-34 as an easy example, depending on where in the triangle your minor is the names will change according to the major thats closest.

Picture is down. :(

units\models\ENG.txt
Code:
battleship.3 = {
	capitalship_armament = 2
	battleship_antiaircraft = 3
	battleship_engine = 2
	battleship_armour = 2
	largewarship_radar = 0
	battlefleet_concentration_doctrine = 0 
	battleship_crew_training = 0 
}
About this: I´m guessing we're finally going to see a Warspite far superior to Malaya despite being the same basic class?