• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
They gave/sold much more than that but they still didn't give/sell Romania any PzKpw V! ;)

Which is why I am so afraid of "licencing". For Germany, it will not cost them anything to give/ licence all their techs to Romania/ Italy/ Bulgaria/ Slovakia/ etc and suddenly we will see all Axis minors using Panthers, FW190s and 88mm AT guns in 1943

So,I for instance have Sherman produced in Detroit factories.

I want to give ability to produce Sherman, to my allies.

Will any allie be able to produce Sherman,I mean depending industrial might?

I mean if USA give Sherman production tolls to Britain certainly they could build it.
But can I give sherman to lets say Mexico and will Mexico be able to produce Sherman after some time?

I have pictures of PZKpw V in Romanian army, i know they had it in 1945 til 1949, now I must look in romanian magazine to telll precisely from where they got it, and when they got them... But when you see the link i've put before, there is no Pz 5 in the list, so they were operationnal after de end of the war...

Anyway, the main thing is license will be great to have in the game, also to buy weapons at the others countries... Romania did not have industry to make such tanks, so they bought them, Pzkpw IV , R-35 etc....

As I said, they got them from the Soviets that had captured them. :)

Romania could've if purchased some machines. But it was a better and cheaper option to get foreign tanks.

But they had Malaxa Works. And Romania did afterall develop the Maresal tank destroyer.

But can I give sherman to lets say Mexico and will Mexico be able to produce Sherman after some time?

Most likely depends on how Mexico's AI is scripted if they will build it. But they probably can build it directly when they've aquired the license. However one license = one division.

Which is why I am so afraid of "licencing". For Germany, it will not cost them anything to give/ licence all their techs to Romania/ Italy/ Bulgaria/ Slovakia/ etc and suddenly we will see all Axis minors using Panthers, FW190s and 88mm AT guns in 1943

But they will still be limited by their IC. A panther division is very expensive!

The seller could perhaps get a small cost in supplies and leadership.

The supplies would simply be lost and simulate the sending of machine tools (most machine tools in those days were dedicated machine tools, meaning they were very specific).

The leadership would simulate the sending of some engineers and workers to teach other engineers and workers on how to operate these machine tools and to explain everything. (a small leadership cost each day, for a few weeks)

EDIT:

with this system, the amount of leadership and supplies can be dependant on how big the difference in techs is between seller and buyer. If you are going to have to learn the Tibetans how to build a modern battleship, from scratch, you're in for quite a suprise :D

This way, the seller also has some disadvantages.

Last edited:
The most important thing- more names! I just hate having "Improved Battlecruisers" :p

Most likely depends on how Mexico's AI is scripted if they will build it. But they probably can build it directly when they've aquired the license.

I believe there should be some tech level country must have to be able to accept lets say Sherman/ PZ IV level of tanks for instance.

For instance Italy,as relatively powerfull nation was 20 years behind major powers in tank developement.Their factories and tools simply were not able to accept PZ IV to be produced.

On the other side their air industry in a metter of months accepted and started to produce licensced powerfull german 1350 HP fighter engines,becouse their own industry was allready in a phase of developing around 1000 HP engines ,so they were allready relatively close.

So I believe licence could be given,but only country just sighly below in tech expertise in that field should be able to accept licence efectively.

Last edited:
Very nice.

I see that, as in HOI 1 and 2, you are not presented the total IC cost for a unit at the build screen (7.29 x 833 = 6072.57. Is there a special reason for forcing the player to use a calculator or is it a good idea to add a box showing the total IC build cost? Imo it would be nice.
+1 serials could just show the initial IC cost.

Also Im glad to see that build times are longer and more realistic.

Will increased naval base size decrease repair and build time? My guess is repair but not build time as in HOI2.

I believe there should be some tech level country must have to be able to accept lets say Sherman/ PZ IV level of tanks for instance.

For instance Italy,as relatively powerfull nation was 20 years behind major powers in tank developement.Their factories and tools simply were not able to accept PZ IV to be produced.

On the other side their air industry in a metter of months accepted and started to produce licensced powerfull german 1350 HP fighter engines,becouse their own industry was allready in a phase of developing around 1000 HP engines ,so they were allready relatively close.

So I believe licence could be given,but only country just sighly below in tech expertise in that field should be able to accept licence efectively.

When buying a production license you usually buy machines as well, and many times you also get a few experts from the factory to assist you. And sometimes you get personnel to do everything.

And don't forget practical value, without it production will be quite slow initially!

And don't forget practical value, without it production will be quite slow initially!

Yep, I assume a country that has never built or researched armor would take much much longer, meaning many many more IC-days- to build an advanced armor division.

As I said, they got them from the Soviets that had captured them. :)

Romania could've if purchased some machines. But it was a better and cheaper option to get foreign tanks.

But they had Malaxa Works. And Romania did afterall develop the Maresal tank destroyer.

You were right, they came from the Soviets, after de capitulation of Germany, so june 1945.... " 13 German PzKpfw V - Panther Ausf. A & G were obtained from the Soviets after capitulation. It is understood that they remained in service until at least 1954." source :
http://mailer.fsu.edu/~akirk/tanks/romania/romania-tanks.html

Why don't people read the dev diarys properly?

I bolded the important parts for you.

We have also added a pretty neat form of technology sharing, building units under licence. You can buy the right to build units from other countries at their technology and practical experience level but with your IC.

If this makes the final game then Romania or any other minor will build licenced Panthers at the same efficiency that Germany will.

When buying a production license you usually buy machines as well, and many times you also get a few experts from the factory to assist you. And sometimes you get personnel to do everything.

Yes,all this comes in package but realy big gaps in technology cant be,shouldnt be solved just like that.

I dont want game in which my skippers will report encounter with Chineese electroboats in 1945 just becouse I needed money and I sold them licence fiew months ago.For them this technology should be worthles for years,like blueprints for alien ship.

Last edited:
Yes,all this comes in package but realy big gaps in technology cant be,shouldnt be solved just like that.

I dont want game in which my skippers will report encounter with Chineese electroboats in 1945 just becouse I needed money and I sold them licence fiew months ago.For them this technology should be worthels for years,like blueprints for alien ship.

Correct.

There should be 3 options:

1) Buy a licence to build some "equipment". Up front cost plus a fee per each unit built. This should be allowed only to those countries that have some skills and IC to do it. For example no way for Yemen to opt for this. If the countries are at war and allied it should not cost that much. From your allied you should get top notch tech.
2) Buy a blueprint and develop yourself. Just up front cost. This is even more restrictive respect the option above i.e. should be allowed only to those countries that have medium skills and IC to do it. For example GER sold the Bismarck's blueprint to the SOV.
3) Buy the equipment. Up front cost. I can see somehow difficult that in this case you could get the best of breed tech from the seller.

What do you think about?

EDIT
I forgot to mention that in case you build under licence you need some time to adapt your production to the new one. Let say the the IC committed to the licensed production is 20, then during the bespoke time you will not be allowed to produce anything....

Last edited:
If this makes the final game then Romania or any other minor will build licenced Panthers at the same efficiency that Germany will.

But you pay for every single division built this way. The IC cost for building it + the IC for getting the money + supply/oil upkeep and logistics for whatever you built + manpower for it, I wouldn't worry about Romania suddenly roaming around with Panzerarmees.

One question I do have is whether there will be some kind of armour upgrade for ships. From what I gather (especially battleships) underwent armour blistering upgrades to reduce damage from torpedoes.

The anti-torpedo bulges added to ships between the wars were largely ineffective anyway. The only positive effect it did have on a few ships is increase their beam at the waterline, thereby making them more stable gun platforms.
As for providing effective anti-torpedo defense... fail.

They gave/sold much more than that but they still didn't give/sell Romania any PzKpw V! ;)

They also sold one (or two) to the japanese, although the japanese loaned them back to the germans :D

Why don't people read the dev diarys properly?

I bolded the important parts for you.

You actually expect me to remember the update word by word, I bet you didn't quote that off the top of your head! ;)

However, it does seem odd it would work that way. I wonder how that is justified.

But you pay for every single division built this way. The IC cost for building it + the IC for getting the money + supply/oil upkeep and logistics for whatever you built + manpower for it, I wouldn't worry about Romania suddenly roaming around with Panzerarmees.

Exactly!

And as Romania in HoI2 you could have an armoured division lvl 5 before Germany had one. Still, you could probably only afford one, unless having expanded your IC quite a lot. And that one division would be terribly expensive.

Still noone complained about that.

Correct.

There should be 3 options:

1) Buy a licence to build some "equipment". Up front cost plus a fee per each unit built. This should be allowed only to those countries that have some skills and IC to do it. For example no way for Yemen to opt for this. If the countries are at war and allied it should not cost that much. From your allied you should get top notch tech.
2) Buy a blueprint and develop yourself. Just up front cost. This is even more restrictive respect the option above i.e. should be allowed only to those countries that have medium skills and IC to do it. For example GER sold the Bismarck's blueprint to the SOV.
3) Buy the equipment. Up front cost. I can see somehow difficult that in this case you could get the best of breed tech from the seller.

What do you think about?

Those are good,and I think realistic ideas.

I specialy find atractive your idea about simply buying equipement 3).

For example,this could be a Contract,one Power becomes suplyer of equipement for cash,or..land lease,or even resources.Thats how smaller countries ,if they have money of course could obtain equipement even they dont have technology no tools and infrastructure for licencing production.
Contract includes equipement,and training of crews of course and training of some light repair .

Contract should have duration and amount of equipement to be set.

So you play,say Romania,and makes a contract with Germany for tanks.Contract is like: tanks will came in Romania at peace of enough tanks for one PZ III tank brigade in a 3 months,than you can set duration of contract,say 6 months( tanks for 2 tank brigades),and terms of payment.
Haevy losses in battle of those tanks than could be replenished with another contract ,so you can prolonge contract or make new.

Khm,I mean though is to much micro,and I am not sure does this fit to overal game production mechanism, but will be great.
Some real money making in game finaly:D

Last edited:
Those are good,and I think realistic ideas.

I specialy find atractive your idea about simply buying equipement 3).

For example,this could be a Contract,one Power becomes suplyer of equipement for cash,or..land lease,or even resources.Thats how smaller countries ,if they have money of course could obtain equipement even they dont have technology no tools and infrastructure for licencing production.
Conttract includes equipement,and training of creews of course and training of some light repair .

Contract should have duration and amount of equipement to be set.

So you play,say Romania,and makes a contract with Germany for tanks.Contract is like: tanks will came in Romania at peace of enough tanks for one PZ III tank brigade in a 3 months,than you can set duration of contract,say 6 months( tanks for 2 tank brigades),and terms of payment.
Haevy losses in battle of those tanks than could be replenished with another contract ,so you can prolonge contract or make new.

Khm,I mean though is to much micro,and I am not shure does this fit to overal game production mechanism, but will be great.
Some real money making in game finaly:D

Yes! "Show me the money" :D

PS
I forgot to mention that in case you build under licence you need some time to adapt your production to the new one. Let say the the IC committed to the licensed production is 20, then during the bespoke time you will not be allowed to produce anything....