• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
licenses: you get the plans and build them whit your one workforce and get some extra experience from it and tech

buying you pay it compleet and get a little bit of tech from reverse engeneering

I hope buing will change. In HoI2 you could buy already existing units. Thats ok (simulates selling old equipement) and could remain BUT we need to be able to say that we want some sort of unit and they could produce it for us. Some countries couldnt build even under license because their were not able to. So 3 optons should be in:
1. License building (you pay and you build)
2. Buying existing units (buying already existing unit HoI2 style)
3. Order a unit from foreign country (you pay and they produce)

1. License building (you pay and you build)
2. Buying existing units (buying already existing unit HoI2 style)
3. Order a unit from foreign country (you pay and they produce)

I'd like to suggest that 2 and 3 would give the "buyer" a division with the strength of a Shattered division.

This way, you indeed get a division, it doesn't take as much time to produce (3) during which time you have to pay money. And possibly, it has some XP (capable instructors), but you have to raise the manpower and reinforce it etc.

(In a game like Victoria, this option would be wonderful if playing as a "uncivilized" minor... assuming the majors will give you the equipment... and I guess it's the same here.)

Perhaps you could have this as a war's end thing as well "demand license" (though blueprints would probably work as well...)

This looks like a pretty neat system. Can't wait to build up my Latvian army of Panzer IIIs and IVs to ward off the evil Soviets :D

I think this licensing makes a lot of sense. If Hungary's tank research is at lvl 1, and Germans are building Panthers, of course Hungary should be able to purchase a license to build a Panther division. The old HoI2 system where Hungarians just got blueprints for techs and were still forced to gradually research everything to catch up was a bit silly.

Buying complete units wouldn't really work in HoI3, as with the previous Hearts of Iron games IC also simulates a nations capacity to purchase foreign stuff.

Like many nations can't build tanks but yet the have the capacity to build armoured divisions. This means they either buy foreign material or buy machine tools and other stuff needed to build tanks.

This license feature will allow IC to better reflect the building of foreign stuff. Also these new practical values will simulate that you really know how to build it.

When buying a license you usually don't get blueprints and design only, one usually gets tools, machines and sometimes even personnel. This is represented by giving you extra practical value. (As you now have stuff and knowledge to continue to build your own stuff)

Also, one can't steal a production license. Either you buy a production license and produce something legally or you steal the design and make illegal copies.

Last edited:
As one notes from the Screenshot, you get +5 in Practical upon completing the build of a Battleship (also interesting the 125% in leadership). Still does anyone actually know what the "Blue-Red-Black" thing is?

EDIT: Also like the fact that the stats that are changed by the "Battleship Engine" is highlighted in a nice yellow/orange color ^^
(And the Admiralty 3 Drum Boiler doesn't seem to be the best one in the Arsenal either)

What is that blue icon at the bottom right with the ship in it and the +5 next to it represent ?

+5 vorpal ship?

This looks like a pretty neat system. Can't wait to build up my Latvian army of Panzer IIIs and IVs to ward off the evil Soviets :D

that sounds like fun :D

Hmm, can models get unique pictures?

Well if you are Romania, you may exploit that and say use it to annex Bulgaria.

And did Romania historically field Panthers ?
Just a question. To what extend this kind of thing happened or could happen world wide during WWII. As far as I know Germany handed out more PZII, III, IVs than Panthers for a variety of reasons.

IN fact Romania did had panthers and panzers IV, around early 44, as they served in army till 49...
Anyway it's will be great to have licence to build in HOI3, also be able to buy echipements from other countries... i take te exemple of Air Units, Romania did have IAR to build planes, but they needed blueprints and licence to make modern planes.... So historicaly, they have built Huricanes MK.II in mid 39-40, build Potez 27 polish planes, that they modified to make the IAR 80 and 81... Also Me 109 were build in Romania as well Heinkel 111... The also had Savoia SM-79 bombers.... As the army, got many of artillery design from germany and some from England(as they were with the allies t'ill 40's when Romania had been forced down by the axe and the soviet union to sign de Wienna Dictat....

You can see on this webpage the armament of world war 2 that had Romanian army...
http://www.worldwar2.ro/gallery/?language=en&category=Arme

planes :
http://www.worldwar2.ro/arr/?article=766

All the equipement that Romania have in WW2:
http://www.worldwar2.ro/arme/?section=2

Last edited:
IN fact Romania did had panthers and panzers IV, around early 44, as they served in army till 49...

Romania got some captured Panther tanks from the Soviets. The Germans never sold Romania any.

One question I do have is whether there will be some kind of armour upgrade for ships. From what I gather (especially battleships) underwent armour blistering upgrades to reduce damage from torpedoes.

The Germans gave Romania French tanks and AT guns

They gave/sold much more than that but they still didn't give/sell Romania any PzKpw V! ;)

Still does anyone actually know what the "Blue-Red-Black" thing is?
My guess is National Unity.
Or something that is of the 'same family' as Dissent, since I guess that's what the flame is.

They gave/sold much more than that but they still didn't give/sell Romania any PzKpw V! ;)
I have pictures of PZKpw V in Romanian army, i know they had it in 1945 til 1949, now I must look in romanian magazine to telll precisely from where they got it, and when they got them... But when you see the link i've put before, there is no Pz 5 in the list, so they were operationnal after de end of the war...

Anyway, the main thing is license will be great to have in the game, also to buy weapons at the others countries... Romania did not have industry to make such tanks, so they bought them, Pzkpw IV , R-35 etc....