• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Does that mean that you can build a 'division' with only 1 or 2 brigades...

I would imagine so, yes. Johan has said that we can custom build divisions in order to replicate the number of brigades that specific armies used during the War. Thus, I would imagine a two (or even one) brigade division would be possible.

Either way, I doubt it's hardcoded. It'll be a little line in a text file somewhere. :)

From an earlier Dev Diary

"We have also scraped the naval attachment system all together and instead we have defined each individual technology to be upgradeable or not (surprisingly this is also fully modable). For ships it means you can partially upgrade old ships. If you build a ship its main gun armament is fixed for all time, however its anti-aircraft batteries are very much upgradeable. We feel this system sets up the right blend of newer ships being better than older ships without the old ships simply being useless."

Excellent! i was hoping we could upgrade AA suites on ships. I'm happy now:D

i believe Johan or King said while there was not a minimum amount of brigades allowed there is a minimum strength so if you can have 1 brigade divisions they'll be the frontline divisions that have shown(alpha) to have around 3000 strength.

I would like the model names to be player-editable within the game. If I want my 1943 infantry divisions to be called "Super Drunken Master Phalanx - 1943 Edition" I should be able to make it happen.

Hopefully the tech license option will be available to non-allied countries, as opposed to the blueprint trading in HOI2. This would allow CHI to skimp out on the entire R&D department. :D

Also, hopefully the AI will be able to effectively make use of the trading/tech license system, as opposed to the fleecing that went on in HOI2 whenever you wanted to make a deal... :(

This is good news for Germany: no need to waste tech-space on naval stuff, just license some top-of-the line carriers and battleships from Japan - and build away!

I hope that the numbers are alpha or Light Cruisers seem destined to be next to worthless as they take more IC, twice the days to construct and have hardly any bonus in values. On the other hand BCs seem to be more balanced. Obviously the speeds are wrong, so hopefully CLs will be handled better.

Will you get a volume license discount for purchasing several licenses at once? (Much like a gearing bonus?)

Buying licenses... now THATS something you don't see in alot of games, it sure is interesting, not yet sure how it will all work out, but its appearing to be good.
Would be nice for say belgium buying a lot of licenses for her own army from brittain and france (as was historical). ;)

I wonder what other suprises paradox has in store for us in this game :eek:

The good thing is that in the WW2 time frame weren't these annoying pirates producing units without licenses!
:D

Lies! The US illegally produced Bofors guns for nearly a year before purchasing the license IIRC. They got the plans from the British.

Hopefully the tech license option will be available to non-allied countries, as opposed to the blueprint trading in HOI2. This would allow CHI to skimp out on the entire R&D department. :D

Also, hopefully the AI will be able to effectively make use of the trading/tech license system, as opposed to the fleecing that went on in HOI2 whenever you wanted to make a deal... :(

Indeed--nothing worse in HOI2 than having to give your ally 5 blueprints + 5000 energy + 5000 steel + 500 money to get back 2 transports. :eek:

This is good news for Germany: no need to waste tech-space on naval stuff, just license some top-of-the line carriers and battleships from Japan - and build away!

My guess is that building advanced carriers with a license would be prohibitively expensive... besides, doctrines have to figure in somewhere. If you don't know how to use the carriers effectively, what good are they? :)

I think the license should be restricted to only a level below your current level.
Building state of the art stuff from foreign license it not quite realistic or is it ?

Last edited:
I think the license should be restricted to only a level below your current level.
Building state of the art stuff from foreign license it not quite realistic is it ?

That doesn't make any sense. Besides being ahistorical, your proposal would also make the feature useless. Why would you license technology you already have? :confused:

That doesn't make any sense. Besides being ahistorical, your proposal would also make the feature useless. Why would you license technology you already have? :confused:

I mean license out a level below your current level of technology. Think Germany aid Nationalist China.

So you can't sell the most recent techs. Mostly to prevent the AI to sell/ players to buy and exploit really.

Last edited:
I mean license out a level below your current level of technology. Think Germany aid Nationalist China.

So you can't sell the most recent techs. Mostly to prevent the AI to sell/ players to buy and exploit really.

Given that you already have to pay both money and IC-days for stuff produced under license, it still seems to be an odd restriction. Why can't I give Panthers to Romania? What's the exploit?

Given that you already have to pay both money and IC-days for stuff produced under license, it still seems to be an odd restriction. Why can't I give Panthers to Romania? What's the exploit?

Well if you are Romania, you may exploit that and say use it to annex Bulgaria.

And did Romania historically field Panthers ?
Just a question. To what extend this kind of thing happened or could happen world wide during WWII. As far as I know Germany handed out more PZII, III, IVs than Panthers for a variety of reasons.

Well if you are Romania, you may exploit that and say use it to annex Bulgaria.

And did Romania historically field Panthers ?
Just a question. To what extend this kind of thing happened or could happen world wide during WWII. As far as I know Germany handed out more PZII, III, IVs than Panthers for a variety of reasons.

Again, since the tanks still have to be built (by Romania, with limited IC, not to mention the price), it's hardly an exploit for Romania to license them. I'm assuming that a Panther is more expensive to build in the game than pre-war tanks.

However, "this kind of thing" happened all the time during the war. As a good example of "advanced" tech licensing on the Axis side, consider the Me-210 built by the Hungarians (Wiki lists the number as about 150 total).

that Me210 program was more like a late war effort to help German production as Germany gets what Hungary produced. If you play Hungary I'm not sure you will accept that proposal. (2/3 of production handed back to Germany)
Let's not just play Germany and think from the minors' point of view :D

I'm thinking normal firearm trade/help which I think is more common.

Romania is just an example. As the above mentioned, Germany can purchase CVs from Japan and that would be major.

Another way to help the issue I think we can tie the amount you can produce to the money you pay. So you pay 1000$ but you can only build one CV, 2000 two etc. You pay 500 bucks but you can only field five divisions.

Last edited: