• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Johan

Studio Manager Paradox Tinto
Administrator
Paradox Staff
15 Badges
Dec 14, 1999
  • Diplomacy
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • War of the Roses
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Magicka
  • Starvoid
Before we start talking about this, let’s just quickly recap. Technology components are modular and can affect more than one unit type. Divisions too are modular and can be customised with different brigade types. This week we are going to talk a little about how these work and also drop a few details about how technology can be shared.

Of course we have defined model names for air and land units, as we did with ships. For air units this is the unit itself, for land unit these are the component brigades. When it comes to upgrading, the land unit brigades upgrade separately. Note the division is still the smallest tactical unit and the land unit and its brigades are indivisible, but for technology purposes the brigades are distinct. Once the right technology levels are reached the brigade (or air unit) will change model name to reflect it’s new stats. In the case of air and land units you always build at the best technology available. However with ships we have added the option to downgrade your ships for faster, cheaper building. Thus if those pesky submarines are massacring your convoys and you want to fire out some quick destroyers to help combat them, then you can. You can basically decide exactly which model to use for each technology affecting that kind of ship.

For technologies themselves we have added support for flavour names. So instead of Germany developing Infantry small Arms year 1943 we get Sturmgewehr 44. Although I doubt every tech for every country will end up being named, we will certainly be adding quite a few for the majors.

We have also added a pretty neat form of technology sharing, building units under licence. You can buy the right to build units from other countries at their technology and practical experience level but with your IC. When the unit is complete you gain that model type and name (until you upgrade it) and increases your own practical experience (which will assist your own research efforts in the future). This costs money but can be money well spent. Of course, these, as well as expeditionary forces retain the model & tech names of their origin, until upgraded.

alpha_mar4.jpg

Here is an example of how this is all scripted..

units\models\ENG.txt
Code:
battleship.3 = {
	capitalship_armament = 2
	battleship_antiaircraft = 3
	battleship_engine = 2
	battleship_armour = 2
	largewarship_radar = 0
	battlefleet_concentration_doctrine = 0 
	battleship_crew_training = 0 
}

localisation\\technology.csv
Code:
ENG_capitalship_armament_2;14'' MK VII;;;;;;;;;;;;;;x
ENG_battleship_antiaircraft_3;QF 5 1/4'' Mark I;;;;;;;;;;;;;;x 
ENG_battleship_engine_2;Admiralty 3 Drum Boiler;;;;;;;;;;;;;;x 
ENG_battleship_armour_2;14.7'' Main Belt;;;;;;;;;;;;;;x

This looks awesome, I can't wait!

So if I understand it correctly, you could have say, Egypt, produce Carrier VI under license of the UK after they liberate them? Provided they have the money to buy the license that is.

Last edited:
I like it, especially the ability to license build, it'll be especially sweet if the AI can use and abuse this as well as the player, asking for or lending better models to improve itself or its allies armies.

Cool!!

I like it, especially the ability to license build, it'll be especially sweet if the AI can use and abuse this as well as the player, asking for or lending better models to improve itself or its allies armies.

Seems like a nice way for allies to help out smaller minors if they can't research it themselves. (the ally can just give the other nation the money to buy it from them)

Nice. The building under license is a great idea. Also like the possibility of downgrading for cheaper ships.

Also, "first"posters deserve to burn in hell.

w00t, first page(just to piss off Barkdreg :D). Looks great, really looking forward to this!

But it was a bit on the short side this time Johann ;)

Can we steal nations licenses?

And if we can, will this simulate say, the USSR and U.S acquiring German jet and assault rifle technologies when Germany is annihilated?

I certainly hope the AI can be told to always hand out licenses for free to allies, so one does not end up with, say, Canada unable to obtain a license to build Spitfires to help in the Battle of Britain.

...Note the division is still the smallest tactical unit and the land unit and its brigades are indivisible, but for technology purposes the brigades are distinct.

So divisions are locked permanently after deployment? There is no reshuffle of the brigades at a later date, if the player wants to customize his divisions?

I must say, building under license sounds awsome! And I asume this is not between allies only? I wonder if the moeny gaind from selling licenses will make it worthwhile in it self....

What is that blue icon at the bottom right with the ship in it and the +5 next to it represent ?