• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(132260)

Recruit
2 Badges
Jan 17, 2009
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
I bought this game from Steam, but getting the CD key was a trial. I did a search on this forum (itself something of a mess -- you need to use google) but didn't come up with much that was helpful. Maybe if I searched further I'd have turned up an answer.

I wrote Steam, and about three weeks later (really!) they responded with the following....
---------------------------------------

Hello
Thank you for contacting Steam Support.

NOTE: If you are running in Windows Vista, you will need to ensure you are running Steam as Administrator. To do this, completely exit Steam, and right-click on the shortcut which you use to launch Steam and select "Run as Administrator."

Please verify the GCF for this game:
Title: Verifying Game Cache Files (GCF)
Link: http://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2037-QEUH-3335

Once this process is complete, please right-click on the game in your "My Games" tab and select 'View Game CD Key'.

If you have any further difficulty, please let us know.

Anytime you wish you can view your question online:
http://support.steampowered.com/view.php?ticketref=9464-MZBJ-6540

-------------------------------------------------
This works, and I received a game key that I could use on the "my games" page, and I've been able to access the FAQ and game guide.

I took a fair amount of grief for not finding out how to do this by searching the forum. All I found was a lot of people, like me, that couldn't get a game key. You might want to sticky this. Even if I'm a provable idiot, the number of people in my situation was large.

Reactions:
How about the VV key?

for the VV key, look for a dummy entry "Europa Universalis Rome: Vae Victis" into the "My games" list. Install it and then you can view the VV key by just right clicking this entry and selecting "View Game CD Key"

Great -- let's Sticky this bit of information, since the question comes up frequently.

Thanks!

this does not work for me. when I right click on the icon the "Run as admin" does not appear. that option is under properties but i cannot change that option as it is greyed and nothing i do un-greys it.

i have vista, any help is appreciated

this does not work for me. when I right click on the icon the "Run as admin" does not appear. that option is under properties but i cannot change that option as it is greyed and nothing i do un-greys it.

i have vista, any help is appreciated
You seem to be in the wrong thread, as the option you refer to is not mentioned in the other posts here and has nothing to do with getting Steam registration codes. Can you start your own fresh thread with full details? Thanks

Just bought Rome Gold from Steam and managed to register VV but cannot register Rome Gold, I just get "invalid key" error.

Put the code in: "Europa Universalis: Rome" (the one below "Rome Gold")

On Steam, it won't give you the option to view your CD KEY if the game is grayed out. Just start the install of the game you want the CD KEY from, right-click and obtain the CD KEY, then cancel the download and delete the local content (assuming it's something you don't intend to play anytime soon or ever again. lol).

(I didn't mean to bring this thread back to life, but it was one of the first links in my google search)