+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Development Diary #18 - 25th of February 2009

Studio Manager Paradox Dev Team Johan's Avatar
    Crusader Kings II

Blog Entries

Development Diary #18 - 25th of February 2009

When thinking about naval combat we started out with the Hearts of Iron 2 system as our base. Things like range and positioning worked very well as a concept and we used this as our base, however we felt it could be improved.

The first change we made was that each ship determines itís own position. No longer will destroyers simply sit around doing nothing while the big ships, instead they will close in themselves. Seek to engage the enemy screens and should they be eliminated they will start engaging bigger ships. Secondly with ships positioning themselves separately naval units can be positioned into combat separately. Thus each unit will roll its search value separately and then be positioned according to how well it fails or succeeds in this. With one additional proviso Capital ships will have a smaller deviation. Although this sounds a bit weird we are working with the following logic. A naval task force will actually be in a fairly widely dispersed formation with the smaller ships screening the larger ships, meaning that you are more likely to find a light ship on the far side of the formation (and thus needing longer to close). While heavy ships like Battleships and Battlecruisers are more likely to be concentrated together in the centre of the formation (thus their smaller positioning error). The upshot of this is a fleet made up of destroyers and light cruisers meets a mixed battle fleet they are more likely to get picked off piecemeal by the concentrated fire power of the heavy surface units.

When it comes to combat itself we have reworked the interface so each individual shipís displayed with itís own positioning so you can see at a glance which fleet units are engaged, plus the enemy ships as well. However just because you can quickly see how your combat is doing doesnít mean you can simply leave it. Instead once a retreat is ordered it will take time for the ships to disengage. This is influenced by weather, if it is at night and how long the combat has lasted to determine if the units can escape. In addition there is also a chance that the two fleets will simply lose contact with each other during the fight, again modified by the same factors. Thus two fleets can simply just lose each other in the confusion of combat, especially in a fight at night and in bad weather. Not in the case of breaking combat neither fleet actually retreats and will start to search for each other again. Leading to the possibility of a running combat happening at night as various ships find each other and then lose each other again in the dark. As radar increases spotting, radar-equipped ships should quickly find the enemy again.

I suppose we should end with a note about carriers. Yes carriers not longer fight in Naval combat (well ok they do just very very badly), instead the CAG is now a separate air unit that can be used as an air unit. Thus you can bomb enemy air bases and support naval landings with it. However the actual effectiveness of the CAG unit is modified by a carrier tech value called hangar. This is essentially the amount of physical space on the carrier for air units. We also have a separate tech for armour. A rather neat consequence of this is we can model the differences between the design philosophies of the British carriers as compared to the American and Japanese ones quite neatly inside the tech system.

Johan Andersson
    Studio Manager at Paradox Development Studio AB - Follow me at Twitter!

"A patch is never late! Nor is it ever early. It arrives precisely when I mean it to do!"

For our Patching and Expansion Policy, read here...

Read here why EU4 requires steam!

Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourEuropa Universalis 3
    Hearts of Iron IIIEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper Fi
    Supreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: Warband
    Hoi 2 Beta500k club

Great .

The interface looks really good and well arranged this time. The concept seems to be also far ahead of HOI2 and taking the CV's out is propably a very wise move. I hope the naval TF's will act according to their missions i. e. CV TF's will avoid surface combat while transport TFs will not try to join an ongoing battle.

What's also intresting to me is if a battle is going on in a province every TF in it is "instantly" involved in this battle.
    Last edited by Zwiback; 25-02-2009 at 15:09.
    Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to Evil

200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis: Chronicles
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourLeviathan: WarshipsSemper Fi
    CK2: Holy Knight500k club

Sweet!
    ztanz wrote:
    Dakk made me laugh, I love this forum <3

Awesome <3 I just love ships
    Edit. Nice improvement by the way

200k clubAchtung PanzerArsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIDarkest Hour
    Deus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneMagickaMajesty 2Victoria: RevolutionsRome Gold
    Supreme Ruler 2020 Gold500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Great!
    now to read it!
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both. -Benjamin Franklin

Owner of the Portuguese Speakers Community (PSC)!

Domination of the Draka for Darkest Hour

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSupreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandEuropa Universalis IV

Blog Entries
    Combat in HoI3 looks a lot funner than I ever had in 2.
    Even an ignorant, paranoid, cowardly, ugly, corrupt, unsociable, aristocratic thug can conquer large parts of the world, kill thousands of people and be celebrated as the saviour of the Republic.

Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMagicka
    Majesty II CollectionPirates of Black CoveEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengoku
    Sword of the StarsSword of the Stars IIVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Mount & Blade: WarbandPride of NationsCK2: Holy KnightEU Rome Collectors Edition500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Haha, Assmann
    I always loved that kriegsmarine admiral in hoi 2

Looks cool

I didn't understand your statement about CVs, so no CV units/model in the game? Will you be able to replay MIDWAY battle?

What a great day!!!

Not only did my order of HOI2 arrive in the mail, but we have this awesome DD as well!

Good work everybody involved with developing HOI3!

Now perhaps, there is actually a chance those big guns of a BB will hit a CV even in good weather?

Edit: Especially if the "attached" airunits are out having fun elsewhere...
    Last edited by Fumlefinger; 25-02-2009 at 15:37.
    Rasmus Lindegaard Christensen

200k clubCrusader Kings IIDeus VultDivine WindVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeSengokuVictoria 2

Quote Originally Posted by Heimdallr View Post
    I didn't understand your statement about CVs, so no CV units in the game? You can't be able to replay MIDWAY battle?
    No there are CV units in the game and there are also CAG units. CV units aren't very good in naval combat.
    Nostalgia is not as good as it used to be

Sounds like the holy grail--seperate positioning for each ship in a stack, finding & losing contact based on visibility & radar, seperate CAGs, and CV/CAG strength determined by hanger area--awesome!
    A whale is a shark built to Admiralty specifications.

Great!!

So now it actually makes SENSE to put BBs into a CTF - just like what the US did in real life

Just what kind of micro management is involved in controlling the CAGs? I assume carriers (or rather their planes) will still bee able to engage in combat without micro management?
    A subject for a great poet would be God's boredom after the seventh day of creation.
    - Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by King View Post
    No there are CV units in the game and there are also CAG units. CV units aren't very good in naval combat.
    and will you be able to attack ships on open sea with CV/CAG?

Quote Originally Posted by Cernifax View Post
    Just what kind of micro management is involved in controlling the CAGs? I assume carriers (or rather their planes) will still bee able to engage in combat without micro management?
    depends what mission you give them. From the source of all that is unholy, twitter, "The carrier protection mission for cags have been added to the game now."

Victoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2

I think the CAG-unit becoming a part of the airforce is really very good, it'll enable carriers to become a lot more important and have a bigger impact even on land

Quote Originally Posted by Heimdallr View Post
    and will you be able to attack ships on open sea with CV/CAG?
    Yes of course, but that is air/naval combat not ship-to-ship combat.

Sounds pretty fun. I'd like to see more on the actual CV/CAG operations.

What about submarines? How will they work and will they more accurately be represented to allow for suprise attacks against capital ships (e.g. how the american's sunk some of the prized Japanese carriers)?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast