• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Whoever said that 90 degrees equals 100 gradians and that the scientific community doesn't use it better be joking. For clarification, 90 degrees equals pi/2 gradians and the scientific community most definitely uses gradians because you can't use degrees in calculus.
Radians (Rad) =/= Gradians (Grad)

90 Degrees = pi/2 Radians = 100 Gradians

I would argue that the vast majority of modern navies are built around submarines and destroyers. Only 2 countries have long deck capable carriers, the USA and France. USA has 11 and France has 1 or 2. Short deck carrier launched aircraft are no match for long deck CAG's, they will get torn to pieces. If anything force projection now is in the hands of the destroyer, which has increased in size so that it's practically a WW2 era cruiser. Also with advances in Anti air capabilities destroyers are brutally effective against air targets.
I agree. If you think about it, it makes sense too. During WWII we have seen enormous power in the hands of small machines; aircraft. A trend has started in WWII that lays more and more power in smaller machines. Destroyer and even frigates being so powerfull today just follows in that trend.

Long ago since I posted anything here...

Anyways I just had a quick insight on your map in the lower right corner: it is Mercator projection! This means that India, Africa, South-America etc. are waaay too small compared to Greenland, Europe,... Mileage will be off as a consequence. Perhaps you could change map structure? Or is this too late?

I disagree. I cite the Korean and Vietnam Wars as examples of how armies can survive without substantial air support.
Agreed, so what we really need is an airpower that can devastate ships, tanks, mech & mot, but have a hard time touching infantry land divisions, especially in jungle, forrest, hill or mountain terrain.

The kilometres suck!
The miles rock! :D

I dunno. It would feel historically inaccurate if Germans measured their distances in miles instead of kilometers.

That goes both ways, though.

The British and Americans used the imperial system of course.

I'm not sure about that. Yes, in normal life the imperial system was in use (though technically speaking it's not called "the imperial system" in the US), but I think the military (army, at least) actually did use kilometres in WWII. Of course someone who knows a bit more about this kinda stuff can confirm or refute that.

So, I'm away one week for work and this is what I miss? All my dreams seems to be coming through! Right now I'm just so happy.

Thanks Johan! :D

Trust paradoxians to derail the best dev diary so far with a miles/km, radians/degree/gradians discussion. NERDS... ;) ;) :p

So let me put it this way...
From what I understand planes no longer fly over map? Its totaly abstracted and you see them only on airports? They perform they missions virtually or am I missing something?... :wacko:

So let me put it this way...
From what I understand planes no longer fly over map? Its totaly abstracted and you see them only on airports? They perform they missions virtually or am I missing something?... :wacko:
That is the interpretation of some (and the hopes of some like me), but afaik it's not been confirmed. But I could have missed that, since I don't always read everything on these forums...

I think that as a compromise we may add this:
At the end of the game the winner will be able to decide on a law "Which system the world should use?" :p:D

yippie im going to bed but this has just made my day worth while

this is amazing

the supply damage was something I was hoping for

as for the additional control over air missions... I think Paradox pulled a serious thorn out of HoI2's side

This game is looking great!

Developer Diaries make me look fwd to wed!

Great job, now my only curiosity is that can air and land units be combined under a single commander (army+), or air and land generals under a single theater commander. I'm thinking Gen. Spaatz in this instance: such as his being in command of the U.S. Strategic Air Forces in the Pacific as part of the Pacific Theatre of Operations

Agreed, so what we really need is an airpower that can devastate ships, tanks, mech & mot, but have a hard time touching infantry land divisions, especially in jungle, forrest, hill or mountain terrain.

yup..and if there is a guerilla mission enable here, it will become harder to hit by air power...
:wacko:hmm...maybe some guerilla mission can be added to HOI 3...is it too late?

For the air system itself, will the abilities to destroy aircraft on the ground also include carrier based aircraft? The Pacific War would be a whole lot more realistic if carrier air can suppress and destroy aircraft on the ground ala Pearl Harbour, the attempt at Midway, numerous US carrier raids in the Japanese Mandates. One of the great strengths of carrier task forces was the ability to strike from surprise, overwhelm the local air defenses and damage them so severely that they were unable to strike back.

A state made pi equal 3? Good story but the truth is a lot more complex (anything involving politicians is, even in 1897). ;)

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/805/did-a-state-legislature-once-pass-a-law-saying-pi-equals-3

As for the value of 3, that was a hoax and was attributed as being Alabama's legislature that passed it.

http://www.museumofhoaxes.com/hoax/aprilfool/comments/862/

As for miles vs kilometers, meh, I use both so I don't care. I do giggle at those people all worried about it though. Worst case scenario, you might have to look some stuff up like say American players have to do? Hardly the end of the world though I doubt the game will ship using miles (though I can't imagine it would be difficult to have user preferences option and the game convert it).