• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
oh wow, I just saw the color coded map of noble and monarchist territory and thought that was an in-game screen shot, but that's all well and good,

to be off-topic I honestly can't wait for the time when Prussia will start colonizing :D

oh wow, I just saw the color coded map of noble and monarchist territory and thought that was an in-game screen shot, but that's all well and good,

to be off-topic I honestly can't wait for the time when Prussia will start colonizing :D
Neither can I, but it is unfortunately a ways away. Book 2 covers the XV and XVI Centuries. Book 3 covers the second half of the XVI Century to the XIX Century. Book 4 covers the XIX and XX Centuries.

Won't be to interesting. The drive to Kamchatka, taking Central Asia, maybe puppeting Persia.

Unless you're planning to conquer the Aztecs/Inkas! That would be so awesome! :p
Well, wait for Book 3 and we will see. ;)

bah i say start up some space game and write book 5 about prussian cosmonauts

Homelands
Chapter Thirty Four: Thicker than Water
Part 3

Prelude:
Páresláv was quickly retaken at only minor losses to both sides, though Prince Fedor was eventually captured and impaled along with many of his knights. It was certain to the Fraternal forces that death on the battlefield was the only option, for if they were captured their fate was impalement. However, despite the loss, the Fraternal forces made small gains in Silesia. Brandenmark, lead by Prince Otto áv Brand, was able to push aside the small garrison in Láóŝátjá (Lusatia) and take over the region. In Hungary, Monarchist forces under the control of Árás Kæstótis sieged the Hungarian fortress of Pest under great pressure to make some gains against the rebels. Despite all of this, life in Memelgrád remained much the same as it had in peace. Queen Ziedás was left to run the country in Vishly's stead, though with many fewer powers and rights. The Royal Demesne, once centered on a few major cities, now expanded to include the lands take from the Ruriks and the Páreslávs. Livonia and Courland were also attached when her father fell ill and resigned from the position of Duke transfering all of his titles to his next surviving male heir, Prince Gunvald. The Prince, only four at the time, could not rule such a territory and such his mother, the Queen, was made regent. The Prince, a small and susceptible child, was mostly raised by courtiers and nannies. At the age of four he was already Prince of Prussia as well as Duke of Livonia-Courland and was well on his way to becoming the next King of Prussia.

RoyalLands.png

The Royal Demesne in 1314. Dark Red is the original lands controlled by King Vishly personally. In Red is Livonia-Courland, inherited by Prince Gunvald. In Light Red is the lands of Rurik and Páresláv, taken by force during the civil war.

October 7th, 1314

Baron Georgs Tomássun sat in utter boredom as the small Prince played with a few toys. The boy was getting along well minus his characteristic stutter. He seemed completely incapable of saying even just one word without stuttering and starting over again. The boy had trouble mastering his first tongue, so his teachers did not want to confuse him with lessons in Greek or Saxon. So unlike many of his ancestors, Prince Gunvald had much time away from advisors and was often left under the watchful, though uninterested eyes of a minor noble. Baron, in the royal palace, was really an elevated title for "babysitter," though Georgs couldn't resist being overwhelmed watching the small boy figure things out about the world around him. So the dutiful Baron made sure the small boy stayed out of trouble while his mother ran the country and his father fought in the war.

The war, from the eyes of the citizens of Memelgrád, was a far-off and unreal thing. Word had reached the capital that Pest was already under siege. If they could swiftly remove Hungary from the picture, victory would be all but certain. But the Roman Empire would not cease its meddling, and ambassadors had already been sent to convince them to stop funding Croatia and Wallachia. It would seem that a second invasion of the Roman Empire might be the only option for the beleaguered nation. Aldwin Leofricson, son of the Emperor, had been sent to Memelgrád as a sort of diplomat, though his arrival was not celebrated by the royal family.

Georgs caught his mind wandering again. He snapped himself out of his day dreaming and saw that Gunvald had only displaced himself a few yards. Lucky for him. The small boy saw that he was being watched again and ran for cover, shamefully hiding his face. The Baron lamented, but there was little he could do to restore the boy's self-esteem. He just turned away and he knew eventually Gunvald would come out again and resume his games. Georgs heard footsteps outside the door, they stopped and then played with the door.

"O, I am very sorry..." a heavily accented voice asked. Georgs turned and saw the purple-robed Roman diplomat. "I was looking for the throne room."

Georgs didn't believe it, he was in the wrong wing, wrong floor and it was obvious from the density of the doors that the large throne room could not fit into this space. "So what are you really doing?" Georgs asked, standing up and putting himself between the Roman the heir. His hand moved slightly toward the sword hanging from his side.

The Roman took a defensive stance, but showed no form of aggression, "I don't understand. I am looking for the throne room." He put his hands in the air trying to show no sign of wanting a fight. "Am I not close to it?"

"The only thing you have right is the building, Roman. You better keep walking until you find someone who can help you."

"My father told me that Prussians did not trust Romans, but I chose not to believe him. This surpasses even what he described. It is no wonder that your country is falling apart!"

"Get over yourself Roman! Your country has faced nothing but revolt and war for nearly fifty years! And now you try to steal away Croatia and Wallachia, there are many reasons we don't trust you."

"Hmph. Very high and mighty for a Kingdom that hardly made it three hundred years before disintegrating!"

"This war isn't even over yet, and early signs point to our total victory. What will you say then, that it was a fluke? Or will you sniveling Romans simple crawl back and try to forget the past and begin begging at our feet once more. We grow tired of your cycle of bigotry and begging."

"Watch your mouth, Prussian! Remember, you speak to the heir of the Roman Empire! This very conversation could lead to the sack of this city in only a few short years!"

"Bah! Declare war on Prussia! We'll burn Constantinople down a second time and this time we won't leave you sniveling Saxons in charge!"

"Big talk coming from a nanny," Aldwin said. He smiled menacingly and turned to walk away when he felt a slap across the back of his head. He turned and saw Georgs still holding his arm across his chest, glove in hand. "Seriously? Are you challenging me to a duel? How posh. Really... Fine I accept your challenge!"

Georgs scooped up Gunvald and quickly headed to the Queen with Aldwin in close pursuit. In the throne room, the court was startled by the interruption. Georgs handed Gunvald to a nanny and then turned to the Queen, "My lady, I have reason to suspect that this Roman is up to no good, and seeing as he has insulted my name I have challenged him to a duel and he has agreed."

"Baron!" The Queen exclaimed, "Prince Aldwin is the heir to the Roman Empire! Have you really agreed to this duel, Prince?" Ziedás asked.

"I have."

The Queen was quiet, "Someone get out a contract for the duel, if Aldwin ends up dead I want his father to see that it wasn't some murder plot." Aldwin scoffed, but consented. Signing with both his signature and his official seal. Several other ambassadors signed as impartial witnesses and the court quickly moved out into the courtyard.

Georgs watched as Aldwin removed his robe and tested his sword. The Baron was not worried. He had been a soldier, a fencer and was an expert swordsman. He was not just a babysitter, he was a bodyguard. Lean and muscular, under his clothes he looked scrawny, but Georgs took off his own robe and shirt and flexing his muscles, put the fear of death into Aldwin's heart.

"Duelists to your lines!" called the Queen. "This is an official duel of compensation, the rules are simple. Fight until one man surrenders, falls unconscious or is mortally wounded. Try to keep it above the belt, gentlemen."

"As always, m'lady," Georgs said with a deep and graceful bow. He turned and saluted Aldwin with his sword. Receiving none in reply, Georgs lunged forward, pressing his attack. Aldwin did all he could to parry the attack, but his riposte was far off the mark. The Prussian took advantage of the clumsy counter-attack and was able to slip under the Roman's arm. Now behind his enemy he cut across his enemy's shoulders, leaving a red and dripping line.

Aldwin turned and thrust his sword, narrowly missing Georgs and leaving a gash across the side of his arm. The Prussian then riposted, stabbing the Roman in the side and causing him to stagger slightly to the left. But Aldwin showed no sign of stopping. He raised his arm up, but was cut again, this time across the face, gouging his eye and causing him to fall prone on the ground. Georgs saluted Aldwin again and then the Queen and the onlookers. This battle was over, Aldwin would know better than belittle his hosts. As Georgs walked off the field, the Queen called out to him and he turned to listen dutifully. "Georgs, we must talk, please meet me in the court room in about an hour."

"Very well, m'lady." He bowed and excused himself to get patched up. Inside his pride swelled, an overwhelming feeling of accomplishment gave him a visual afterglow. For King and Country, he thought.

I too want a super-powered sword-wielding, death-dealing, roman killing nanny... For my kids* that is.
The war also seems to be ging along fine. Although those forceful land takings must have put your infamy so high as to increase the odds of other vassals escaping your grasp.

*Unborn.

Poor idiot. Ziedás will Prussia him.
Who? Georgs?

I too want a super-powered sword-wielding, death-dealing, roman killing nanny... For my kids* that is.
The war also seems to be ging along fine. Although those forceful land takings must have put your infamy so high as to increase the odds of other vassals escaping your grasp.

*Unborn.
Remember, most of this civil war is being improvised for the sake of entertainment.

hmm someone's close to a 4,000th post... I sense something epic (or at least very very interesting) :D

Remember, most of this civil war is being improvised for the sake of entertainment.

Those are the best kind! :) Now, if the duel brings the Romans into things, it could get VERY interesting...

Homelands
Chapter Thirty Four: Thicker than Water
Part 4

Prelude:
Baron Georgs Tomássun was promoted to Duke for his "diffusing a Roman spy ring" in 1314. By 1315 he had gained considerable favor with the King and Queen, being appointed to head the Death Knights in their crusade against the unloyal and the condemned. King Vishly, fresh from his conquest of Páresláv returned to his duties as King and began to oversee, more personally, the impalements. In the south, the Romans moved to intervene after the partial blinding and disfiguration of their heir, Prince Aldwin. Croatia and Wallachia both broke from the Fraternal forces and accepted an existence as Roman tributary states. This sent shutters throughout the rebel movement, effectively ending it as the remaining rulers were left dazed and uncertain of their own safety and unity. Austria surrendered to Prussia, and was quickly put under the control of loyalist Phillip. Soon, the only real opposition came from Hungary and the Roman client states, which Vishly planned to knock out next. His hope was that if Hungary was defeated, Bohemia, Brandenmark and the outer reaches of Mordvia would willingly surrender. Getting Croatia and Wallachia back would be a harder proposition. It would mean defeating the Roman Empire again, though the Empire was left considerably weaker due to its long war against Armenia in the East. Even so, Emperor Edward I of the Roman Empire promised his people that this time it would be the Romans, not the Prussians, marching off to war. But with Fraternal resistance splintering, Prussia could afford to move against the Romans.

War1315.png

Eastern Europe at the beginning of the Roman Intervention.

October 15th, 1315

"Sir, Lord Megas Dux, we found more!" a voice cried from around the bend. Aldwin Leofricson buried his face in his hands. Another? How could any one person be so brutal. The Prussians were retreating, but there was nothing to gain from victory. The Romans found nothing but the impaled bodies of their former allies: Counts, Dukes, Kings, courtiers and soldiers. No women, no children, no civilians... yet, Aldwin thought. He scratched at the black patch that now covered his eye, he had not yet grown used to it. And the man that cut his eye from his face was also the man who was in charge of carrying out these monstrous events for King Vishly.

"Are there any survivors?" Aldwin called.

"No, sir these look rather old. I doubt they were done as part of the retreat."

"Damned," Aldwin threw his gloves against the table and sat down heavily. What was the point of invading Wallachia if there was nothing to gain? Suddenly things seemed very still, too still really. The cawing of ravens and other carrion eaters died out. Everyone started to look around them. The whole army sensed that something was wrong. The ravens had become a constant companion, driving many a soldier to restless sleep or worse. Aldwin stood up and looked around. The trees, prematurely bald; the skies, grey and heavy with a rain that would likely make that night wet and uncomfortable.

"Commander, what do you think of this?" one officer asked. Aldwin turned to him and shook his head. It was the best he could come up with. What could it be? Were the blasted birds finally full? From the forest the cawing quickly resumed and a large flock of birds took to their wings and flew up through the trees. Aldwin and many others turned to face the event and suddenly the twang of bows could be heard from behind them.

"Rangers!"

October 20th, 1315

016.jpg

Duke Georgs Tomássun enters Tirgoviste.

Georgs Tomássun entered Tirgoviste under heavy guard. He was surprisingly popular in Wallachia where he was a folk hero. Someone who resisted the oppressive rule of the Frankens, known for their heavy taxation of the farmers and merchants. With them they carried two Frankens: Franz áv Fránkæn, the former "King" of Wallachia and Klaus áv Fránkæn, the loyalist who would be installed as Duke once the war was over. The Roman Army was only miles away, licking their wounds from the ranger attacks. Sure it was low, but the Romans were interfering with a civil war, and that was thought of as illegal by many states.

Eventually they made their way up to a large stand where workers prepared a stake for their former ruler. The crowd demanded blood and chanted for it loudly. Soldiers pushed them back from the stand and kept Franz safe from rocks and other thrown objects. "Settle my friends, settle!" Georgs called out. He motioned his hands downward to emphasize his demands. But the chanting continued.

Finally Klaus shouted out in Wallachian, "Citizens, please silence!" And the crowd slowly quieted, waiting for something to happen. "People of Wallachia, here is your tyrant!" The crowd booed and began chanting for his quick death.

"Don't worry, your blood lust shall be fulfilled. King Vishly is on your side and hearing your plight has sentenced this man to death by impaling!" Georgs called out and the crowd roared in pleasure. Their chanting returned as Franz was stripped naked and beat black and blue as he resisted. The soldiers pinned him down and prepared him for his execution, something that they had grown very good at doing. Franz's screams empowered the crowd who resumed chanting and erupted in cheers and applause when Franz's body was hoisted up, twisted and deformed. He kicked and scream, only worsening his plight, but he couldn't fight the instinctual drive to escape. After ten minutes or so he finally succumb to the pain and blacked out. The crowd was pleased, and assuming he was dead began to pelt him with stones. Georgs did nothing to stop them, turning away and leaving. It was a grisly task, but it was his job. This was the first time he had been able to stay through the whole process, usually leaving once the victim had been stripped. Soon the Prussian army would be moving out, and he'd be tailing them as part of his removal of unloyal nobles and resisters.

November 1st, 1315

"Lord Aldwin? Lord Aldwin? Are you awake?" a voice called.

Aldwin struggled against his bandages and sat upright in his bed, "I am now, what is it?"

"We've gained confirmation that King Franz of Wallachia was executed. His cousin, Klaus, has been installed as Duke of Wallachia. I believe it is safe to assume that the Prussian Army is in the region with better numbers or they wouldn't have risked such an action."

Aldwin sighed. All things he already knew. He lied back down, trying to ease himself back onto the scars from the recent attacks. It was clear that the Roman presence in Wallachia and Dobruja was completely and utterly unwanted by the peasantry. It made no sense to the Roman. Dobruja had been taken from Rome in a war, did they really like their new rulers so much more? What could the Prussians be offering that would make them so happy? Or did they really just hate the Romans that much? In the end it didn't matter. Wallachia was a lost cause, but Croatia was still safe with Hungary acting as a buffer. But for how much longer? Árás Kæstótis would soon conquer the entire nation.

"Dictation!" Aldwin called out. Soon a soldier appeared with a quill and paper. He sat down next to Aldwin and Aldwin began, "Dearest Father, Lord of the Earth and Heavens, Vassal of the Lord, and the Son, and the Holy Ghost. The war in Wallachia is not only a lost cause, but a fruitless one as well. I humbly ask for your permission to abandon the campaign in order to strengthen our forces in Croatia. The people here are resisting us at every move, I myself have been wounded by spineless peasants fighting from the cover of the forests. A strategic movement through Bulgaria is probably the best we can do, using our forts across Bulgaria and Thrace to prevent an invasion of our home, while freeing this army from a pointless and futile war that will only yield more dead for the favor of those who despise us. Signed, your son Aldwin." The Prince took the letter and read over it. The folded it up and marked it with his signet ring. The soldier saluted and took the letter to be sent, leaving Aldwin alone.

"Árás Kæstótis," he said aloud. "The master general... How will I ever defeat him?" He paused and then shouted several curses to the sky. He stood no chance, he should have just been asked to be dismissed so he could live out the rest of his life in shame on an island in the Aegean. His stupidity and rashness had cost him the throne, and now he was pitted against the greatest military mind in Europe. He sobbed out loud as tears ran down his face. "Will no angle intervene in the name of Aldwin Leofricson?" he asked. The answer, he feared, was a resounding "no". So as the Roman prince wept, far-off in Hungary his future nemesis plotted the end of the Kingdom of Hungary. A swift and merciless act that would put Prussia closer to victory in the Balkans. Croatia, his eventual target, was so very, very close.

Nice update, as usual :cool:

hmm someone's close to a 4,000th post... I sense something epic (or at least very very interesting) :D
Don't pressure me or anything. :p

I actually held back from posting all those annoying ACA announcements just so you'd be happy.

Those are the best kind! :) Now, if the duel brings the Romans into things, it could get VERY interesting...
The duel, it seems, will be brought onto the battlefield.

Nice update, as usual :cool:
Thank you, I've felt rather inspired for this chapter, so posts have been much longer on average.

Actually, I have just remembered: VOTE IN THE ACAs! Here is a link! Go there and vote so this can be a successful round. If you choose to vote for Homelands (no pressure), please vote for it under CK - Narrative. I'd rather lose to General_BT fairly then steal it from a category I don't belong to.

Very nice update! Poor little Aldwin though.
Bear with me, but I don't recall the Leofricsons becoming rulers of rome? I think it was some royal marriage. Could you please direct me to that chapter?
Thank you, for your reading pleasure: Chapter 24, Part 3; it is mentioned in the prelude.

Yes, I meant Georg. But now I can see that Prussia is more confident of its strength than I thought.

Poor Aldwin. He should run off to the Caliphate and start a new life as a muslim.
Rome has been severely weakened by its wars against Muslim Armenia, so for Prussia it is not a huge threat. Rome must watch out, put too much effort into the war against Prussia and lose the war against Armenia very quickly.

Aldwin is a rather tragic character, but we don't have many of those in this story. Aelle comes to mind... back before the reign of Gunvald I!