• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Let's hope he does not end like Vlad the Impaler, a source for dracula myths. Although that would be pretty baddass.
I vil prussia your blood!
I increasingly fear that our little superstate will fall :(
So might be the case, but only time will tell.

Kill the betrayers of fatherland!

Btw, how is now the Prussian army organized, as you prevented the nobles from having their own armies?
Local military governors under local governors or answering to the King?
Hierarchy of the Army?
I'll work on this for the next update.

The only answer to over-stretching is... Conquest!

I think Croatia will be lost in the revolution. Vishly will decide to let it go so he can focus on Hungary and Bohemia.
Croatia is rather out-of-the-way, and it is a newer territory.

If Prussia's following the historical example, I'd guess there's a standing royal army like the L'Ordinnace soldiers of the French King in the late 15th century--not especially large, but invaluable because a)they're professionals, not levies, b) they're combined arms, instead of a small group of trained nobles with large levy/militia backup, c) they're loyal, because they're paid by the state. Couple that with some displays of force (and who wouldn't call a forest of impaled rebels a display of force? :)) and some bribes and other intrigue, you've got quite a recipe for a strong central state siphoning away strength from the nobility.

Especially if you go France and turn the nobility from massive landowners with armies and interests to landowners who are meaningless courtiers...

This is me pulling ideas from my butt though. I have no idea what Capiatlist is going to do. No doubt we'll be left in awe of Vishly when its done though. :D

my my, I get back and return to a Prussia on the verge of civil war!

oh and for old times sake- Nobles delenda est!

If Prussia's following the historical example, I'd guess there's a standing royal army like the L'Ordinnace soldiers of the French King in the late 15th century--not especially large, but invaluable because a)they're professionals, not levies, b) they're combined arms, instead of a small group of trained nobles with large levy/militia backup, c) they're loyal, because they're paid by the state. Couple that with some displays of force (and who wouldn't call a forest of impaled rebels a display of force? :)) and some bribes and other intrigue, you've got quite a recipe for a strong central state siphoning away strength from the nobility.

Especially if you go France and turn the nobility from massive landowners with armies and interests to landowners who are meaningless courtiers...

This is me pulling ideas from my butt though. I have no idea what Capiatlist is going to do. No doubt we'll be left in awe of Vishly when its done though. :D
No, you basically have it figured out.

my my, I get back and return to a Prussia on the verge of civil war!

oh and for old times sake- Nobles delenda est!
Yes, things change quickly in Prussia.

Sorry about the inactivity, update later today if I can get some time away from DnD.

Homelands
Chapter Thirty Four: Thicker than Water
Part 1

Prelude:
While King Vishly and his wife were masters of Intrigue, Marshal Árás Kæstótis was a master tactician and commander. Quiet as he was when amongst the nobility, outside of the palaces and manors he was a brave and commanding figure who would often be found deep in midst of combat. The King had entrusted him with reorganizing the army now that nobles were no longer allowed to levy troops. His first step was to divide Prussia into numerous Themes based on cultural and linguistic lines. Men recruited from a certain province would then serve with other men who spoke the same dialects and often were already comfortable with one another. Units were encouraged to form traditions, carry banners and form a strong fraternity between its members. Since the standing army was professional, its numbers were much lower than number in the past and the composition switched from numerous knights on horseback supported by a large, untrained levy to a more balanced system with well-trained footmen. The King could still call up a levy if required, thus swelling the Monarchist Army to greater numbers at the cost of over-all quality. On the other side, the Noble or Fraternal Army had a similar composition to the Prussian Army of old, based mostly on heavy cavalry supported by the levy. At the center of their forces were the Guardsmen, who comprised almost all of the trained footmen of the Fraternal Army.

WarBegins.png

The 1314 Civil War at its beginning. Red is Monarchist controlled lands; Blue is Noble controlled lands.

April 15th, 1314

Árás Kæstótis marched at the head of the Monarchist Army, a task that he was very proud of. He and his men had already prevented the secession of Denmark, thus keeping Baltic trade up and running. Almost the entirety of the Kinjitlin family had been caught and impaled outside of Krakow, likely the first city that would be attacked by the nobles. It was this act that would give his master the title "Impaler", which he had seen a few times in letters address to "King Vishly, the False, the Imapler". As the army rounded the crest of a hill they were over-looking a large plain, their camp site for the night. At the center was one of the many taverns constructed by King Sviendorog, long ago, and it would serve as their head quarters for the night. Árás found everything rather comfortable, and he quickly looked to set up a base of control in the southern regions of Poland along the border with Hungary.

cid-horse.jpg

Marshal Árás Kæstótis.

From the second floor of the tavern he watched as his men built make-shift stables and lodging. Step one was complete, now he had to locate the enemy forces and move to defeat them outright. He knew that four other armies had been called up by King Vishly, each securing a region and defending the heartlands from intrusion. Of course, the greatest risk came from foreign intervention so it was essential to quickly prove to Europe that the Monarchists were going to come out on top. Retaking the Páresláv lands was currently top priority to the King. Having such an enemy in your midst would lead to nothing but doom. So for now, Árás had time to rest.

Downstairs, the innkeeper was shocked to find so many soldiers showing up at once. He tried to protest but soon found that his pleas were being ignored as the officers spread out and claimed rooms for themselves. Soldiers raided the pantry and took out bottles of Roman wine and Italian oils. The officers were quick to confiscate such items for themselves. Árás walked down the stairs and was quickly approached by the innkeeper. It was obvious his temper had already been triggered as he flew into a full-blown rage against the Marshal.

"Sir," Árás started in a matter-of-fact tone, "I will assume you do not know who I am and thus I will spare you from punishment, but hear me: I am Marshal Árás Kæstótis, trusted advisor to King Vishly, true ruler of Prussia. We are commandeering this building until such a time that we deem this region secured from Fraternal threats. Now. Will you oblige us or will you continue to resist?"

"No, I will not resist."

"Good, the Kingdom will repair any damages and provide monetary compensation to all that willingly cooperate. I strongly suggest, however, that you stay clear of our work." Árás walked away and watched as his officers set up a table and several men leave to call up the local levy and all those willing to serve in the army. It was tedious work, but necessary to inflate the numbers of the army. The professional army number only thirty thousand or so, much smaller than levy armies of the past. But it was much better trained, a rigorous process watched over by Árás himself. Men had positions and they were good at them. Scouts quickly dispersed from the inn, disappearing into the surrounding wilderness for days on end recording enemy movements and returning with essential data.

As the sun began to set, Árás stepped outside for some fresh air. All around him men sat around camp fires sharpening swords and telling tales of machismo and virility. In the wind flew the Monarchist flags, the top was the banner designed by King Kárnák, below that was the Monarchist colors, a banner of black with a white cross on it. It was a moment of pride for the Marshal, as well as one that he had awaited for many a year. He would soon show his prowess and hopefully earn the ability to solidify his claim to put his name into the history books. A man of thirty he was still a bachelor, but soon he'd be able to marry into the court. Prestige is what he aimed for, nothing more and nothing less. He thought of Ievá, her beauty caught his heart and now he could hardly spend more than one minute alone without thinking about her.

EarlyFlag.png

Kárnák's flag; the often flown over Monarchist armies.

So in the dark he took to his room, alone, and began to write her a letter. But once again words failed him, so he stuffed the letter into a corner of his desk and lied his head down on his hands. With little else to do he returned downstairs and joined some other officers around a map. They were discussing the next possible moves they could make. To them it was a game, they would see who could most accurately predict his own ideas and the one with the fewest at the end of the night owed the others drinks. He was more than happy to play along if it meant that they were learning.

"So?" Árás asked, "What is our plan for these upcoming months?"

"Well," started the first officer, "I believe that we must push forward. If we don't, the rebels might be able to secure recognition and they will be lost forever. So a logical move is to first strike Bohemia."

"Why?"

"Less defended from the east, it is also richer and has more people then areas such as the Carpathians and Brandenmark. It is also contains the largest percentage of Prussian-speaking peoples. As much as a fifth of the region speaks Silesian. So it might be easier to hold onto."

"Okay. Any other ideas?"

The second stood forth, "Yes. I agree that attacking is also the best plan, but I suggest moving against Hungary. Bohemia is richer, but Hungary is largest both in land-area and population. Also the successful conquest of Hungary will divide their forces here in the West."

A third voice his concern, "I think that the best action is to team up with the northern army in Denmark and move to attack Brandenmark and Bohemia simultaneously. From there we can roll up the enemy forces here in the west and finish the war much quicker."

"Ah, but that assumes too much, take it a step back," Árás responded, "After taking Bohemia and Brandenmark we will be waiting for their response." He paused and looked at the map, "Regardless, the best plan is to attack. And though I am worried about Silesians in Bohemia, dividing our enemy by crushing Hungary is probably the best move from here. The North Army will be tasked with Securing Brandenmark and then Bohemia. Our job will be to neutralize Hungary, then wait to defend those lands while Bohemia is retaken. Any questions?"

"Yes. What about a possible counter-attack from Carpathia? Morcárgrád is awfully exposed."

"That will be up to King Vishly to respond to with the East-Central Army. We cannot protect all of Prussia alone gentlemen, and realizing that is an important step forward as commanders. Now, rest for now. Make sure, though, that at least one of you is awake at all times should anything arise. Now dismissed."

Interresting times ahead, i see :D

... and a really nice flag too :)

I think your eagle would need two heads... :cool:

Also, what of a symbolic lion beneath the left feet/claws and a bear beneath the right feet/claws?
Subjugated Bohemia in the west and Finnic tribes subjugated in the east. :D

God save the King! I love where this is going!
I am glad to hear that. I thought it would be an interesting move as well as a good set up for Book 2.

I think your eagle would need two heads... :cool:

Also, what of a symbolic lion beneath the left feet/claws and a bear beneath the right feet/claws?
Subjugated Bohemia in the west and Finnic tribes subjugated in the east. :D

I would if I had any artistic ability.

Two in one day? O my!

Homelands
Chapter Thirty Four: Thicker than Water
Part 2

Prelude:
The first goal for the Monarchists was to secure the Páresláv lands. The Páresláv family once controlled twice as much land but had half of it removed after Vishly forcibly defused an issue while acting as Chancellor for his father. It was symbolic for both sides. For the Fraternal forces it represented a noble's right to fight an unfair liege. For the Monarchists it represented a liege's right to crush rebellious and squabbling nobles. So it was that King Vishly's army of some 12,000 professionals and 8,000 levy soldiers under the shadow command of Juhán Ramondssun (said to be the "First General" by many modern military historials), faced off with 5,000 knights and 16,000 levy soldiers under the command of Prince Fedor Mikhailsun ŝev Rurikæs áv Páresláv. Historically it is said to be the first time that professional soldiers clashed with levy soldiers since the fall of the Western Roman Empire. It would be an important turning point and one that would cement the reputations both Marshal Árás Kæstótis as well as General Juhán Ramondssun in the annals of military history. The battle also served as the first reemergence of the Guardsmen after their forcible disbanding. But instead of black, they wore red and flew red banners with black crosses. The first battle of the 1314 Civil War was near and all of Europe looked for the result with great interest.

April 24th, 1314

The man who was once the Prince of Moscow now sat on his horse patiently waiting for the battle to begin. He was old and aged, but the Guardsmen needed every able-bodied man in this fight and he was more than happy to serve those that saved him and protected him in his time of need. Joná Rurik was not used to the life of a soldier, but it was something that grew on him. His hair and beard were completely shaved off, leaving him feel strong and young again. The man who had saved his life was on the horse next to him; he had yet to learn his name, but as he was learning names were different in the Guard. Here the Guardsmen only number three or four hundred. Some five or six hundred managed to escape from Prussia, and their ranks swelled with like-minded nobles. But here they were few, all on horseback, all assisting the knights of the Fraternal realms.

057.jpg

Knights of the Fraternal Army.

"Brothers," said their Prior, "Let us join hands in prayer." The brothers all linked hands with the brothers to either side of them, not getting off of their horses. With their arms outstretched the lifted their chins to the heavens and tried to feel the crown of thorns upon their own heads. Then the Prior began a short prayer "Heavenly father, in infinite grace, we implore you to grant us the strength to overcome your enemies and the senses so that we may return to fight again. If today be the day you choose that any one of us return to your side we do so willingly and with no remorse. Gelágæ."

"Gelágæ," they all repeated.

"Peace and strength, brothers. Today we fight the forces of evil and we must not falter, we must resist evil where ever it appears and we must purge it from the face of God's Earth so that we might truly bring about His Kingdom here as well as in another life." The Prior pointed his finger across the field at the lines of Monarchist soldiers who were forming their own perfect ranks, "Those men over there are not some levy rabble. Those men are trained soldiers, mockeries of your own training and hardening. They think they can replace you, and they think they can replace God's will on Earth with the will of tyrants. Prove them wrong!" He rode back and forth in front of the brothers, flicking holy water from a golden aspergillum. Joná continued to clutch the hands of the men next to him, only now he bowed his head downwards. He felt the sprinkle of water on his head and face. It was cool in the rough sun. He said a prayer in his head. Thanked his master for a long life and for showing him this path. When he opened his eyes he could tell they were watery, his future from this point on was full of uncertainty.

Once his hands were free he placed a helmet on his head, completing the ensemble. He checked his sword and moved it slightly so it was easier to reach. Then he picked his lance out of its holder beside him. It was heavy in his hand, but well balanced. Trained soldiers. Those faceless men across the field were trained, probably from a young age. How did he stand a chance? Maybe some of the younger brothers did, but he did not. The all had banners and decorations from training and battles and starting quiet and then growing louder he could hear them chanting. The Monarchist army chanted as one, pounding swords and pikes and axes "DEATH TO TRAITORS! DEATH TO TRAITORS!" The screams of levy fleeing already filled the ears of the brothers. Their army was already crumbling.

"Let us put the fear of GOD into the heart of men! GUARDSMEN! CHARGE!" the Prior shouted, pointing his sword toward the enemy. Joná spurred his horse into action, it kicked up onto its hind legs and then bolted down the grass towards their collective uncertain fate. The Guardsmen were joined by the knights and the levy. The Russian looked behind him and saw some twenty one thousand men charging toward the enemy. And though it was inspirational he couldn't help but feel that there was a lack of control, that each man was just a single piece acting on his own will or consciousness.

About three hundred feet from the enemy the first volley or arrows landed into the Fraternal army. Joná felt a searing pain in his shoulder and felt the tuff of an arrow hitting the side of his face. But he tried to keep going. In the last few yards the enemy lowered their pikes and he could do nothing but get ready for the worst.

His horse hit the pike at full force, propelling him some twenty feet into a group of men. Instinctively he reached for his sword and pulled it out, preparing for a fight with this lightly-armored but well armed men. Looking back toward the front lines he saw some of his compatriots skewered on the pikes, their lifeless bodies limp and bleeding down upon their enemies. He swung with his sword at the nearest Monarchist, but as he did so the pain in his shoulder flared up and he let out a crippling scream as he fell prone to the ground. But a second crash of horse men gave him time to pull the arrow out and stagger to his feet, blood spreading out from his wound.

Swinging through the pain, Joná was able to cut down one Monarchist and move to the next where his stab was expertly parried and then countered with a kick to the stomach. The Guardsman stumbled backwards, but eventually caught himself and raised his sword for a second attack. Starting from above, he feinted into his foe's side. The attack left the other in pain as his fell to the ground, holding his side. Joná let out an audible laugh as he turned to the next Monarchist. This time his feint was not as successful and the soldier punched him in the face and then using the end of his pike tripped him onto his back. He was looking up into a swirl of one on one conflicts. A microcosm raged above him and out of this mass a hand materialized and pulled him to his feet. It was the Prior, bloodied and missing a few teeth in his grin, blood ran out of his mouth and onto his uniform.

Looking around, Joná realized some fifty or so Guardsmen had formed a pocket around him and now they were surrounded. He looked around to find his friend, the one who had saved him but could not. But a hostilely swung sword reminded him of his duty, and he returned the blow with one of his own. But just as the small pocket was one by one reduced, Joná's body was failing him. A blow to his chest from a hammer, a stab to the leg. He fell to one knee, trying to keep up his battle. From there he felt the pain slipping away, being replaced by a cool, soothing numbness. From the corners in his vision failed. He couldn't focus on what he was seeing, leaving the world as a blurry mess of humanoid shapes and movement. He gasped for air as he continued to try to probe the enemy's lines with his sword. But he was fighting a desperate and unwinnable battled. He never saw that fatal axe raised up above his head. He never felt it come down. Instead for a brief second he let his sword fall out of his hand and his arm fall to his side as above the battle he saw, clearly, the Angel Michael reaching for him. He extended his hand to meet his guardian, for the face of Michael was that of his rescuer.

Outside a man had trained for fifteen years for this moment. His enemy prone, nearly surrendered with weapon at his feet reached out to some unseen friend or lover. He hefted his axe high, and in one breath prayed for the strength to leave no wounded, only dead; swung his axe earthward and cut the helm from its shoulders.

Last edited:
The best battle scenes are always written from the viewpoint of the defeated ones. Or else the war gets too glorified and unrealistic. :cool:
I am glad you think so, I feel that it is more dramatic too.

Very good. How many men died on the both sides? And how many soldiers do the monarchist armies have in total? Just curious. Things are looking up for the Leofrickson Monarchy.
I would guess about three to four thousand a side. The Fraternal Army is mostly levy (farmers that have been called up to war), which would break rather than die in a conflict that they don't understand and certainly won't gain anything from. So it is easy to think of the Fraternal Army, in this battle, being seriously outnumbered on basis that they only had 5,000 professionals.

Bloody prussians. The rebelious ones that is. ;)

If the traditionalists get completely routed by a force one thousand smaller, that doesn't bode well for them.

Death to traitors!
Alas, this is only the beginning. I am hoping to have more up dates out soon. I am feeling rather energetic and full of ideas.

Very nice battle account :)

Alas, this is only the beginning. I am hoping to have more up dates out soon. I am feeling rather energetic and full of ideas.

Nice :cool:

interesting, are there any foreign powers that might (or I should phrase that past tense as I think you've played ahead) take advantage of the noble's civil war?

interesting, are there any foreign powers that might (or I should phrase that past tense as I think you've played ahead) take advantage of the noble's civil war?

Rome is probably the only one with the balls and reasons to intervene. However, the effects will come later. ;)

You must understand that this didn't even happen in the game and I only decided to add it recently.