• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Homelands
Chapter Thirty Two: The Prince and the King
Part 4

Prelude:
The more I think about King Vishly Kitensun the more I think he and I are alike. He took over a country that had been run by a well-loved man, but run secretly behind the scenes by a bunch of undeserving laymen. He took Prussia into a whole new direction and he did it through his sheer force of personality. He is a man that any governor should aspire to resemble. I forgive him for being a monarch, but he was also a man of vision and progress, something unfound in many monarchs. When I was Director of Security, I had a small portrait of Vishly on my desk to remind me each day of where I was supposed to take Prussia. Sometimes what is right and where people want to go are in two totally different directions, like the bottom of the sea and the moon. A good leader is able to tell his people "This is where we are headed, this is where I am taking us, this is what you want." Then he convinces them that A is bad, and that B and C are the same place. A great leader knows that telling his people anything is stupid. Sometimes it is best to let them think you are doing exactly what they want and that everything is turning out exactly as they planned... but in reality you are headed down your own road while they stand and admire the wild flowers that they claimed to have planted.
- Jazeps Valdissun, Prussian Head of State

February 1st, 1307

Vishly sat on his throne looking over the applicants for position of Chancellor, one of many positions left vacant since his return. In fact not a single member of his father's court member's had kept their jobs. Instead the positions were being filled by people of skill and loyalty and not just nobility. It was a major change from the normal, usually these positions would be stable, a son would inherit his father's cabinet as well as his lands. But Vishly would have none of it. He had worked many hours with these people and had endured their angst and hatred, but now they came to him as friends and as loyal servants and they were dismissed like a hungry dog on the street. There were no more noble spectators in the court room, no more whispers for favors in the King's ear, the golden age of Prussian Chivalry lie dying on the ground at the feet of King Vishly.

Guards stood at either side of the King as he finally stood to make his decision, "You, Ludis Teodorssun, you shall be Chancellor of Prussia," The King said. One man looked very relieved, the rest saddened, "The all of you are dismissed. Ludis, speak with the head maid about moving your family into the palace soon." All the men vacated the throne room, leaving Vishly to ponder his choices. A man entered and saluted Vishly with a bow and two fingers to his temple.

"Lord Vishly, you summoned me?" he asked.

"Ah, yes... Árás," Vishly said. Árás Kæstótis was the new Marshal of Prussia. He was the first Marshal to not be of noble birth, instead he was a proven tactician from the war in Scandinavia and had served in the defense of Ziemelængrád as well as the sacking of Stockholm. "I assume you've begun the orders I have made?"

"Yes, my lord. Troops have been called up are being stationed where you expect resistance to be greatest. They will be ready and awaiting your command by the 10th, as requested." Árás stood at attention, only his head moved as he spoke.

"Good. They must be ready to strike out, though I doubt that this will cause too much of an uproar," Vishly said, almost laughing.

"Sir. I know it is not my place, but why are you worried about an uprising within Prussia? Reports from the troops say that everything is rather calm and idyllic."

"Ah, but Master Árás, the weather changes quickly in the Baltic, sunny one day and raining the next. I am testing the waters of progress and to see how the nobles react to it, I doubt that your men will be needed, but if it is a drill, then we know how well your men perform, and we shall reward them justly."

Árás didn't completely understand but he nodded anyways, it wasn't his job to understand, it was his job to get the troops moving at the King's command. "Very good, sir. If we aren't called to action then I shall tell the men it was a drill, I am sure that there will be no questions."

"Thank you, Árás, you are dismissed."

"Thank you, sir." Árás bowed again and saluted with the two fingers to the temple as he turned to leave the room.

When he was alone again with only his guard, Vishly called Ziedás into the throne room. The two moved to a small table and sat down in lavish plush chairs while looking over a copy of the Æthelræchtæs. Taking a quill and ink Vishly scanned through it and marked a large black X through the passage that allowed nobles to call up troops of their own. "It is a start," Ziedás said. "But it might not be the right step..."

"This passage has not been used since the war with Rome, and that was the only time it was used at all since the document was written. I doubt it will be greatly missed," Vishly responded.

"That is what I mean, we are not doing enough."

"I disagree," Vishly said, putting the quill into the ink jar, "Illegalizing their arms gives us extra right to crush them if they do actually rebel. By painting the nobles to be power-hungry and willing to break any law to gain power over Prussia will likely earn the hearts of the merchant classes. Our power lies with them, darling. They see the nobles as a barrier to their own power as do I. A common enemy is a strong binder."

"But take something else... their right to divide their lands... lessen their ability to tax their vassals... something!"

Vishly smiled, but shook his head, "Ziedás, the biggest step is in actually changing this blasted thing. It has never been done, even correcting the grammar has been a pain in the past. We cannot just repeal it, we'll tear it apart, piece by piece and soon the whole thing will come crumbling down."

Ziedás look unhappy, "Fine... if that is all you are willing to do."

"My love, we have plenty of time. I've been King for hardly a week. Relax, enjoy the peace and quiet while we have it. Once I announce this we won't have much. We might have to set up shop in Mariengrád to confuse our enemies from finding us."

"You really enjoyed that place didn't you? Ever since we've returned you've done nothing but think up excuses to go back. This palace is so much larger, plus there is little way to move the capital now. It would only lead to confusion from foreigners and only net a small window of security," Ziedás said. She sat down behind Vishly and rubbed his shoulders.

He closed his eyes and nodded, "I guess... but I don't want my second visit to be on my death bed like every other King."

Mercanti-750-1.jpg

Memelgrád's port was one of the largest and most important in Europe. A image of the port dating from the XVIII Century.

Last edited:
Every great man has a women behind him telling him how to do things. :D

And ultimately, that's why great men end up failing.... :rofl:

*quickly leaves this part of the forum before my wife sees the post* :p

Bloody commies. A modern nation needs a general running it, not a man that thinks he knows what the masses want.
Heh.

Every great man has a women behind him telling him how to do things. :D

And ultimately, that's why great men end up failing.... :rofl:

*quickly leaves this part of the forum before my wife sees the post* :p

Yeah, now I can't let Brigid see this either... thanks.

Sorry for the week of inactivity, I actually went in search for a car, did a bunch of insurance shopping and then ended up not getting a car. :eek:o

Major waste of time. But I should have something done for Memorial Day break (Sunday/Monday).

Homelands
Chapter Thirty Two: The Prince and the King
Part 5

Prelude:
The removal of arms was followed by the limiting of taxation of fiefs held under Princes and Dukes. This was followed by the limitation of land itself, a major step in crushing feudalism under the iron boot of the monarchy. "Æs bin ien wulf ámang hándæs", a famous quote from King Vishly I of Prussia (I am a wolf amongst hounds). For the first time in Prussian history the monarchy, not just the monarch, played a vital role in leading Prussia. This was due to the shift of power from the broken-up feudal patchwork headed by the King to the King and his hand-chosen court. For the first time provincial troops were lead by the Marshal and generals and not by landed lords. Skill and ability dictated who got to be in the cabinet, not blood relation. But the nobles felt disenfranchised and somehow naked. But their complaints would remain silent for two more years. Vishly had correctly guessed that by removing their armies he was also removing their spines. However, the feudal system wasn't entirely at risk. Families still held onto their lands, still taxes peasants and made money off the sale of products produced on those lands. Vishly did not seem to have any want or will to end this particular part of the feudal system, a strange inconsistency that has been debated to this day. It is surprising with all that he changed and all the problems he had with nobles holding power within the country that he would draw the line at removing their territories. It is possible to think that had he gone this far he could have prevented the scaring war of the 1500's, but most agree that it would have been prevented only by happening almost 250 years early.

June 6th, 1309

Jalayir, the Marshal of the Sultanate of Persia, stood before Vishly King of Prussia asking for assistance in the name of the friendship that had always existed between Persia and Prussia. But he found the court a cold and foreign place, with Vishly at the head. The opulence of Karnak and Kiten had all but dissolved away. Instead of Princes and Princesses, Jalayir found generals and merchants. The King wore a simple military tunic and instead of a crown a ornate cap. He spoke quickly and simply to those around him. Eventually Jalayir was next to speak to Vishly, he had been practicing his Prussian for a week for just this moment.

"Prussian King, Vishly, my master suffers internal rebellion and tension. Our Princes revolt, each looking to find greatness. Can you spare nothing to help us? For decades our nation has stood as a wall against the forces of the East, the Yuan and their perverted pagan hordes. If we were to fall, who would protect Europe?"

"I would, dear Marshal," Vishly answered quickly. He folded his arms and returned to talking with one his advisors. Jalayir did not move, instead he panicked and looked down at his feet. "Do you need a translator? Get out!"

"No... I do not need a translator... how can you be so uncaring? How can you just reject the pleas of allies so easily?" Jalayir called out. He felt the hand of a soldier on his shoulder. The boy was beardless and in a rough tunic. He applied a small amount of pressure to get the point across and began to push the Persian.

Vishly leaned forward on his knees, "Persia has been no ally of Prussia... we have never come to each other's calls... we have never had more than a simple trading relationship, and honestly... if Persia does get conquered will shall simply trade with your conquerors."

"Fine! So be it!" Jalayir called has the soldiers pushed him out. "I shall take Persia as my own and I shall close all my borders to you? Then what? Then what Prussian King?" His words echoed from the hall and Vishly and many of his advisors laughed.

vlad-the-impaler-turkish-envoys.jpg

A clip from a text book on Prussian history, it says "King Vishly the Impaler rejects the pleas of the Persia Envoy."

"What in hell possessed him to come here for help?" Vishly asked between gasps. "Foolish Muslims thinking we would help at all. Allies... Heh."

"Sir," Ludis, the Chancellor, said, "I agree that they shouldn't have gotten anything, but maybe you shouldn't be so cruel to them."

"What would you know about it, boot licker?" Ziedás asked. "Pat his head and congratulate him for having the gall to beg at the feet of a foreign King?" Many in the court nodded in agreement. "See? Persia stands as another example of what would have happened to Prussia had Vishly not removed the power from the Nobles! Let them fall!"

"My Queen, we are quickly ending up without any allies... both within Prussia and in Europe as a whole."

"Without allies in Prussia? Look around you... you yourself. The middle classes empower us. They are our allies." Again the court voiced its agreement with the Queen. The Chancellor glared at Ziedás, but respectfully bowed out of the way as she took her seat next to Vishly, who watched the conflict with an amused look on his face.

"What the Queen says is the truth. We should strive to free ourselves from the influence of the nobility. Which is why I am proposing another round of changes to the Æthelræchtæs." The court applauded Vishly's plan and he had to stand and urged silence with his hands, a calm smile on his face. "I want to limit, by law, the size of tariffs that the nobles can levy on goods that pass through their lands and also make those tariffs taxable income." Again the court applauded Vishly's plan.

"Brilliant, Lord Vishly!" some voices called. The Queen looked smugly satisfied with this motion. She smiled as she saw Ludis struggle to hold his tongue in the back of the room. Add him to the dossier, she said to herself. Tonight she would research who this Ludis Teodorssun really was and where his sympathies really lay.

After the court cleared out, only Vishly and Ziedás remained. "Vishly, Ludis is becoming a problem. I've watched him from afar quite often and many times he is more than unhappy with your choices. I fear he might be an insider or a fifth column."

"Well, if he is he is a bad one because I agree with you that it is often very obvious that he does not like what has been going on. I assume you've already started digging into his past," Vishly said sipping mead from a goblet. He put the cup down and looked into Ziedás's eyes.

"Yes. So far I do not have much to say."

"Hmm... well keep working on it. If he is a threat he needs to be eliminated."

"Dearest... why do we need to take that chance?"

"Huh?"

"Why not just kill him now? We have plenty of more loyal subjects who would love to be Chancellor... why give him the chance to act?"

Vishly pulled at his beard, "Do your best then. We don't need this getting out."

"O, I'll figure all of this out," Ziedás said. She kissed Vishly on the cheek and then left the room. Vishly watched her leave and then finished his drink. He got up and followed her footsteps. He knew that she'd already been on the trail of something.

End Chapter Thirty Two

Homelands
Chapter Thirty Three: By the Shade of Trees
Part 1

Prelude:
Queen Ziedás Lammekinustog shev Godwinæs áv Hwike was, without question, the most powerful woman in medieval Prussia and likely the most powerful in medieval Europe. And unlike some other women whose power came from influence over men, hers came from the respect paid to her by men. King Vishly saw his wife as an equal to himself both in intelligence and influence. She was Vishly's only wife throughout his life, a rarity amongst European nobility, and would survive him by three years. Well educated and highly motivated, she was unwilling to simply become an accessory to her husband, something which Vishly was more than happy to accommodate. For this she is well remembered by women's rights groups. But also unlike any other powerful woman, Ziedás could be as unbelievably cruel as her husband. Vishly's deeds did not escape his wife's attention and she often approved of his methods if she hadn't encouraged him to do it her way. Like any male counterpart, Ziedás had her sights on the top and nothing, or no one, was going to get in her way. Ludis Teodorssun was only the first of her personal victims which would eventually number between ten and several hundred depending on the criteria defining a "personal" victim.

Ziedascopy.png

A portrait of Queen Ziedás (1503).

August 7th, 1309

Ziedás watched as Ludis once again argued his point in front of the King. For more than a month her spies had followed him, watched him, found his family, found his parents, found that he who he said he was. Then why he continued to argue in favor of the nobles confounded the Queen and her spies. He didn't seem to be in the payment of any noble, no foreign investor, no fifth column, he just earnestly continued to speak against the King of no reason other than the apparent hatred of his own existence. There was no other explanation. As she watched him her breathing became more and more agitated. Eventually she realized many people were noticing and she tried to regain her composure. Ludis stopped and looked at her, a flash of fear shown in his face. Fear of who he was dealing with, maybe?

"As I was saying, my lord. A man as smart as you must see that some nobles would be willing to work with you on these reforms if you gave them a chance to. I am sure that there are some willing to put their personal income at risk in order to maintain a unified and powerful state. It is will have to be some sort of compromise, they might demand a pension out of the treasury. But getting the support of a few kingpins would ensure that the lesser nobles would stay in line. Kingpins like Gábreæl áv Plocke, Meinekinus áv Moldáó, Juris Dormandie, Voldæmár Rurik, Lammenkinus áv Kærjá or Tomás áv Luksæmburg."

"And tell me Ludis, why should the King be looking to the support of his Dukes and Princes for support?" Ziedás asked. "Pray tell, why does it seem with every alternative speech we get from you, we are being told to surrender ourselves to the nobles, and bow down to the nobles, and get support from the all-mighty nobles? What on Earth are you exactly expecting to receive from them?"

"I... I don't think I understand, m'lady. I simply think that we are better off in the long run trying to maintain some amount of mutual respect with the most powerful of the nobles. It could, in theory give us people we can trust if we were to move forward... maybe centralize all fiefdoms under their rule... maybe give the title of Grand Duke some actual power."

"Boy, we are talking of centralizing Prussia... Grand Dukes have no power for a reason: to centralize Prussia!" Ziedás said. "You are smart, I'll give you that, but you are an idiot. Every week you repeat a few words you heard us use in the previous week and add it to the same story we hear from you every time you choose to enlighten us with your ideas. Aren't you a Chancellor? Shouldn't you deal with other countries and leave the domestic stuff to the Spy Master? The one chosen to deal with intrigue and court issues? You know... me?"

"I am sorry, m'lady... you are right. It was wrong for me to intrude onto your realm of expertise."

"You better believe it was!" Ziedás's eyes were aglow with hatred.

"Maybe you two want to work this out alone?" The Marshal asked, already rounding people up in his arms and forcing them toward the door. Vishly motioned to do so. Eventually the room was empty and only Ludis stood before the King and Queen.

"I don't really think this is necessary, m'lords, I am truly sorry I didn't thi..." Ludis was stopped by a calm hand from Vishly.

"Shut up. Please, stop digging this hole you are in. It isn't a good idea. Eventually you won't be able to climb out, and then what do you have?"

"My King? I don't think I understand..."

"It is a grave, you moron!" Ziedás shouted. She got up and wrapped her fingers around Ludis's neck and shook his head back and forth. Vishly got up and tried to stop her, but she pulled Ludis, by the neck, farther away. As the man's face slowly turned purple she bashed it against a stone column leaving a bloody gash across his forehead. Eventually Ludis stopped struggling. His limbs hung limp at his sides. Ziedás let go and let the former Chancellor fall like a rag doll to the ground.

Vishly paused, watching his wife regain her composure, and then after a quick breath said, "Well... that seemed rather unnecessary."

"Don't push me, Vishly Kitensun!" Ziedás said, leveling a finger at her husband. "You master is Ziedás, and forever more she shall be!"

"Yes, my dearest."

"Now call some guards and have them clean this mess up... we have guests to entertain and nobles to put the fear of God into."

"Yes, my love." Vishly brought a few guards in and they quickly covered and disposed of the body without asking questions. The King and Queen remained alone for a few silent seconds watching each other. "Well, what do I do now? I need a new Chancellor."

"No you don't. We are Chancellor. He took no meetings, foreign dignitaries want to speak with you and no one else. Plus I enjoy seeing the fear in their face as you reject them or threaten invasion."

"I still would like to get some of the paperwork off my own lap and into someone else's. So I shall begin the search for a new Chancellor tomorrow."

"At least make sure this one has some common sense in his head. The last one was right terrible there."

"I will do my best, Ziedás; don't worry about it too much."

Ziedás straight-up murders a dude in the throne room. Hardcore!

Surely SHE can Prussia into space!

A great woman.
She would Prussia better alone. :cool:
I enjoy that Prussia is now a verb. It has been verbed. I prussia. You prussia, he/she/it prussia.

Ziedás straight-up murders a dude in the throne room. Hardcore!

Surely SHE can Prussia into space!
She is rather, as you put it, hardcore.

Hardcore, ruthless. A perfect match for Vishly!

Homelands
Chapter Thirty Three: By the Shade of Trees
Part 2

Prelude:
The year 1310 brought a major change to the face of Europe. For the first time, the remaining Christian rulers fighting the Caliphate and the other European Muslims sat down with their counterparts and signed a peace treaty. It was a major step forward, especially in Germany where the fighting had become brutal and personal. Many German nobles were left landless and claimless and headed not East as many had in the past, but North. Sweden and Norway soon took refugees in the form of peasants, merchants, priests, monks and nobles by the thousands. But the numbers were limited, the Caliphate eventually stopped letting people go. The harbors in the north, like Hamburg and Lübeck were forced to no longer permit refugees leave, instead Christians were settled in special Christian provinces and kept under close watch. With the war over for now, the damage of the war could be fully assessed. Many in the Islamic world criticized the war as needlessly harsh, long and detrimental to the well-being of the Islamic peoples. Most non-aligned states, such as Prussia and England blamed Catholics and Revisionists for their lack of foresight and unwillingness to go to the peace table until it was far too late. With no bargaining chips left in the pockets, Revisionists and German Unionists were left under the control of new, Muslim, Dukes and Counts.

Muslims.png

The five "European Muslim" states in 1310. Unlike other Muslim states, these five spoke an Indo-European language (Armenian had widely displaced Georgian by the XIV Century) as well as retaining numerous Christian influences on their practice of Islam.

September 27th, 1310

Vishly carefully walked into Ziedás's room. All day her screams of pain were heard throughout the palace and now mother was asleep with son. Vishly plucked the small boy from the arms of a midwife and looked him in the face. He already has a full head of reddish-brown hair, much fairer than the Kings before him. "Your wife has yet to name the boy, it is up to you, m'lord."

"I name this one Gunvald, and he shall be my heir." Vishly did not look at the midwife, instead he watched Gunvald intently as he squirmed quietly. Even when he was handed a blanket, he took it without ever moving his eyes and still expertly wrapped the boy and then brought him against his own chest for warmth. Ziedás stirred in the bed next to him and he sat down next to her. "I have named him Gunvald," he declared.

"I thought of that name too," Ziedás said with a smile on her face. "We shall have him baptized soon. Maybe even have him made Prince of Prussia?"

"Maybe, depends on how devious I am feeling toward the nobles in the next few days." He smiled and patted her hair. She smiled and closed her eyes. Soon it was obvious that she was asleep. The King placed his son back into the arms of the midwife and left the room to return to the throne room. Inside people waited for him, all probing and demanding that his attention be fixed on him for a few seconds. He had not yet started his day, and instead had the bothersome people removed as he sat down to a bit of breakfast while a courtier summed up the daily activities planned as well as some of the more important news from around Europe and Prussia.

"My lord, as the Kings of Sweden and Norway have sent their tidings, they wish to talk about a possible alliance amongst the Christian nations in order to resist any further expansion by the Caliphate. They turn to you as the most powerful of all Christian rulers to seal this alliance."

"Rejected. They look only to use me to protect their own lands. It is unlikely that Prussia will ever be invaded. Instead they simply want us to protect them. They should remember their history and see that Norway and Sweden have done little to help Prussia. And maybe they have a terrible case of stupidity, but I have not yet forgot the war we fought only four years ago."

"I told the messenger that it was likely that you would bring up that war. I will pass that decision on to him so he can bring it back to his masters."

"Thank you."

"Sir, if you don't mind; does Prussia have an heir?"

"Yes, my loyal courtier. I do in fact have an heir," Vishly said patting his mouth clean with a towel and smiling.

"Good, it is a sign of good times to come." The courtier saluted and then bowed as he left the throne room. When he was alone, Vishly got up and walked over to his map of Europe. The war in Germany and Italy was over, but in Asia Minor the war between Rome and Armenia continued.

Marshal Árás Kæstótis walked into the room and joined his King at the map examining the border to the West. "I think that we are in a strong position if you decided to invade Germany, my lord."

"I don't think it is a worth-while investment. Sure they might be weak, but the Caliphate sits on the edge of oblivion anyways. And we would just be embroiling ourselves in the same century-long conflict that Germany got itself into and spiraled into nothingness."

"Fair enough, my lord. But to be honest the troops are going to need to do something soon, many grow weary and I honestly cannot see the point of paying men to stand around doing nothing for long periods of time."

"Ah, Árás, luck might favor the foolish, but luck doesn't win wars and fate favors the ready. I plan to remain ready so that when the time comes Prussia is not caught unprepared."

"Very good, my lord. I shall continue keeping the men in practice. They will be ready when the worst is at our doorstep."

"Good, see to it."

"Sir, before I go, do you fear an internal issue over an external one?"

"I beg your pardon, Árás?"

"I am sorry, my lord... that was out of place, but that is what I feel. I believe that it might be a good idea for you to tour Prussia outside of Memelgrád. Maybe down to Kiev or Morcárgrád. See if you get the same feeling as me. The nobles are up to something," Árás said with earnest intention.

Vishly nodded slowly. Árás was not a man of intrigue and not a man to lie to his superior. "I might do just that, Marshal."

"Thank you, my lord." Árás quickly assumed a position of attention and saluted before turning and leaving.

The King called over his head maid, "Please send word to Kiev, I will soon be departing Memelgrád once my wife is in good health. I plan to personally inspect the southern provinces so have the local Dukes and Counts ready for my approach."

"Absolutely, my lord. Shall I have the guard hunt a few deer for your food or would your majesty prefer to do it yourself?"

Vishly sat silent as he thought, "Have them do it. No need to be risking myself out there," he laughed.