• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
hmm if theres any sort of world war in this europe I wonder what they'd look like

Homelands
Chapter Thirty: God and Country
Part 5

Prelude:
The Balkans had been and would remain a sort of "Second" Europe. Second in that while never truly out of touch or unimportant, it seemed to always fall second to some other power. For much of its future the Balkans would be a war ground between Islam and Christianity, but also between conflicting ideals within Christianity. Serbia was traditionally a Roman client state. Croatia traditionally aligned itself with Prussia. Bosnia became the name for any Muslim state in the region regardless of language or self reference. By the XVII Century the entire region was under Roman influence, and by the XIX Century it was on its own for the first time in many centuries. The Balkans always were always of second interest to Prussia. Controlling the region meant Adriatic shipping and created the "Prussian Wall" descending from the Baltic to the Adriatic. But when the Empire became over extended the Balkans were the first region to get autonomy. Many assume that it comes down to a few factors. First, shipping from the Adriatic didn't really cut down time, because goods had to be carted from other parts of the Empire to Croatia and then shipped, as compared to floated down one of the many rivers and shipped out of a port. It was also an issue of distance. A small rebellion in a far-off province could be far more problematic then a large rebellion in Lithuania. And if the Balkans are nothing if not rebellious.

CultureintheBalkans.png

The Balkans in 1296. Red is Serbian, Blue is Croatian and Green is Bosnian. Bosnians were either ethnically Serbian or Croatian, but were Muslim.

April 7th, 1296

Kiten had put aside earthly desires for the day. News had come from the southern reaches of the Empire, the Croats and Serbs were in revolt. He was unhappy from day one on the set up and running of Croatia and its attached territories. But he had bigger things to deal with. Mordvia was one. Now that it was Christian it expected special rights and deals from Prussia, many were absolutely crazy and one sided. Another was the Roman Empire was losing its wars with the east. Armenia had slipped slowly out of its grasp and now Armenia Minor and Trebizond were slipping as well. Kiten couldn't put it off any longer, he had to send some 10,000 soldiers as a permanent loan to the Romans. He was unhappy with the decision, but he selected only willing soldiers so he tried not to lose sleep over it.

Life for the King had become a strange division. During the nights it was a return to his youth, and during the day it was nothing but seriousness. He tried to keep pleasure and work separate. Since Blazena's death he had gone through two wives and was on a third. His marriage with Antusa Kantakouznos lasted only a few months over the years 1293 and 1294. He divorced her and moved on to the next wife within a few weeks, Richwara de Provence. It soon became clear that Richwara was using Kiten to try to bring fruition to her brother's fair-brained scheme to conquer southern France and set up his own Kingdom there. Kiten divorced Richwara as well within two months and after spending a month as a bachelor chose Vasilisa Rurikovich to be his final wife. Of course she was a wife only in name and title. Really, she was just the senior member of a harem of six to seven women of lesser nobility that the King consorted with at night.

"Gentlemen," Kiten started, "We need to deal with this rebellion quickly and easily. I want no real sign to the nations around us or to the people of the Empire that there is a problem. Am I understood?"

"Yes, sir," his generals said. Their leader stepped forth and began their plan, "The idea is, we move in with the army, stabilize the region and then put it under military control. If we can keep a station there, hopefully further rebellion can be adverted through force of arms."

Kiten sighed, "Fine... if that is the only way. Have we no allies there? Have we no friends? No one who can even try to settle the region for our sake? Rule over them for us?"

"Well, there is one group of people we can go to... but it is a long shot and we will need to use your connections to go through Turkey. We can speak with the Edessans, they are the descendents of the native Croatian dynasty. They are also descendents of Morcar's brother; they are your flesh and blood as well."

"Hardly, and I doubt it will work, but try."

September 16th, 1296

The rebellions had mostly been repressed by August, and now there was a glaring power vacuum in Croatia, one that needed filling soon. A party was set up for the arrival of the Edessans, a group of mysterious and misunderstood people. Their culture was as foreign as foreign got. Descended from Croatia crusaders, their war led them deep into the Holy Land, a land that they eventually lost. Soon they lost Edessa as well, but had conquered Kuwait and al Haasa. But now they owned only a thin strip of rich, fertile lands in Haasa ruled from Bahrain, their capital and fortress. Their skin was paler than an Arab's, but darker than a Croatian's. Most wore white scarf's and head covers. The eldest amongst them wore a red one with white designs. They spoke a heavily Arabized dialect of Croatian and each wore a strange cross that hung from rosary beads around their necks. "My lord," Nomedas said, speaking to Kiten, "This is Samuil Trpimoirvic, second son of Lord Gheorge Trpimirovic, ruler of Bahrain and all Edessans of Arabia."

Edessa.png

Great Edessa at its height ~1200. The Kingdom of Edessa (Brown) lasted from 1105 to 1278, co-existing with other Edessan states. Edessa Minor show in orange as it was in 1296 and included the dark brown provinces at its height ~1250. Provinces outside Edessa Minor with large Edessan populations show with hashes.

"I welcome you to Memelgrád, King of Cities and City of Kings," Kiten said dramatically and almost humorously. Samuil seemed almost unmoved. On his right side stood Dragota, his eldest son. On his left stood Ivan, Dragota's eldest son. Behind them stood twelve men and four women. Ten men and two women were the siblings of Dragota, the others the younger siblings of Ivan.

"Prussian King, do not try to impress me with the grandeur of a city that is bloated and fat with the sugar of mead A city of cloth and sweat is worth far more valuable than a city of marble and wine. You call upon me not only as a descendent of the Kings of old Croatia, but also as a two brothers of blood. And let me say that we are not brothers of blood. You ask much of me, and I would be more comfortable to go home."

"Then why did you come? I would have understood if you had not wanted to accept a post that is in danger of being over thrown or killed at any time."

"Because, Prussian King, I spoke with my father and my brother; and I spoke with the Patriarch and they all said that this was the right answer, it is rare that a second son is given any chance like this. I was compelled by honor to take it."

"I thank you for it regardless of your reasons, and I welcome you to my home for the time being," Kiten said. He smiled, trying to invoke the same response from Samuil, but got nothing. It was going to be a long discussion, Kiten thought, but at least he thought he had the right man for the position. He could not have a weak and faltering man in charge of Croatia any more. Samuil and his people would rule the area as they saw fit and as long as the taxes still trickled into Memelgrád, Kiten couldn't care any less how it was done.

End Chapter Thirty

Veeeery interesting... half-way Arabized Croats? I might have to steal that for a AAR of my own...

Good stuff, nonetheless.

If you want, I can give you a bit of their history in the EUIII time-period. Or you can just work on your own. ;) Either way is cool with me.

If you want, I can give you a bit of their history in the EUIII time-period. Or you can just work on your own. ;) Either way is cool with me.

Well, I'd like to do my own AAR, but by all means, send me a PM or two about their history in EUIII.

No offense, but the non-Prussian characters and cultures (even the technically Prussian ones, like the Dromandies) are more fascinating to me then the Prussians are. Even Kiten is boring, though less boring then most of the Prussian leaders. :)

Well, I'd like to do my own AAR, but by all means, send me a PM or two about their history in EUIII.

No offense, but the non-Prussian characters and cultures (even the technically Prussian ones, like the Dromandies) are more fascinating to me then the Prussians are. Even Kiten is boring, though less boring then most of the Prussian leaders. :)

Hmmm, it is rather distressing to hear that, though not very surprising. First because I give small tastes of Prussian culture at a time, and not just all at once. And since they are the main characters, I do try to make Prussians more "normal". When a new culture is introduced I do tend to just dump a massive pile on, mostly because they haven't been mentioned yet and will star in only one or two updates.

Hmmm, it is rather distressing to hear that, though not very surprising. First because I give small tastes of Prussian culture at a time, and not just all at once. And since they are the main characters, I do try to make Prussians more "normal". When a new culture is introduced I do tend to just dump a massive pile on, mostly because they haven't been mentioned yet and will star in only one or two updates.

Well, perhaps "boring" is the wrong word. The Prussians are all well and good, and I've been following this thread from the beginning, simply because the concept of Anglo-Saxons merging with the Old Prussians is a fascinating idea, but they simply don't draw me in as much anymore.

The one-or-two update, differently cultured characters do draw me into it. I loved when you introduced the Norman exiles to Prussia. I thought it was great when the Chinese Marco Polo or whatever showed up. I still think the very idea of the Infinite War, with the nigh-almighty Caliph against the poor divided Christan lords of Europe is an awesome twist.

I'm sorry, but despite how good your Prussian characters are (Kiten and old what's his name, the king before Kiten), your other characters are simply better, IMO.

Just my two cents.

Edessans, Slavarabians would sound cooler? ;)
Or slarbians? :rofl:
Slavarbians? :rolleyes::p

Quite a bunch of strange cultures you have, do you have them created for the eu3 mod?

Edessans, Slavarabians would sound cooler? ;)
Or slarbians? :rofl:
Slavarbians? :rolleyes::p

Quite a bunch of strange cultures you have, do you have them created for the eu3 mod?

Yes, Edessans have two major groups... Eastern and Western. Western are centered on Edessa and Easterners on Bahrain. Only the Easterners have a playable country from the start (Bahrain). Both groups start off as Edessan Catholic.

I'd call them al-Quratij. Seems a bit more Eastern than Edessan.

What does it mean?

RL update: Updates might slow down a bit for a month or so, at least until half-way through May because I have a job! Yes one of those tiresome things you do to make money, for those interested I am a runner at a bar; so I really cannot complain. Free beer, cheap food... life is good... just busy.