• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Homelands
Chapter Twenty Eight: Glory and Shame
Part 3

Prelude:
In 1281 the Kingdom of Prussia, led by King Kiten, invaded the Roman Empire, led by Emperor Wihtred. Prussia had been cut off from leaving the Black Sea, immobilizing half of their trading fleet. The Roman Empire claimed that it was to better protect Constantinople from Muslim raids, but the true reason was a well-known distrust between the Prussians and Romans. The Prussians marched south with one of the largest armies ever assembled during the Medieval period. Estimates put the size of the Prussian army between 60,000 and 130,000 men. It was a war for revenge, for honor and to decide the master of the Christian world. The Romans, already fighting a war against a long and quickly changing front in the East, were still able to call up large armies of irregulars and mercenaries. Plus few believed that Kiten would actually put Constantinople to the sword; sieging her massive walls and fortresses was thought to be suicide, even if the attackers outnumbered the defenders of the Mother of all Cities twenty to one. Even though it was relatively brief, only two years, it became something personal between Kiten and Wihtred, two men who had never before met. Farther west the Caliph watched in interest, waiting to see who would win. He is said to have remarked to his advisors, "Remind me to never hinder Prussian trade."

June 13th, 1282

The cannon Uzváru let forth a powerful shock that on the other end was met with the crumbling of stone and mortar. Kiten watched from horseback outside his tent as some 100,000 sons of Prussia surrounded the Mother of all Cities. In the distance a few other cannons fired, but it would have seemed futile to a lesser man. Kiten knew that inside that city was the Emperor Wihtred. The city didn't seem to notice the siege, the water front kept her fed, the walls held back the cannon. In the middle of the city rose the Hagia Sofia, the great church of the Emperor Justinian. A messenger rode up to the commanders' pavilion, a group of tents that housed the King, the marshal, and the lead commanders as well as their support staff. Kiten turned to face him, but saw he bore no military insignia, rather it was that of the Kiev Palace.

"What is it, messenger?" Kiten asked hastily. He beckoned the rider close so he could get the letter and be done with it.

"I bear a letter from her majesty Queen Marie," he handed the sealed letter to Kiten who snatched it out of his hand quickly and obviously annoyed. "I believe she sends her husband tidings on the long campaign." Kiten raised an eyebrow and handed the man a coin.

"Wonderful, her letters keep me inspired," he lied. The messenger left and Kiten handed the letter, still unopened, to his assistant, who placed it in a pile with others like it. He turned his attention back to the city before him. From the ramparts flew several red and gold banners that had not been there before. It was the Emperor himself, inspecting his troops. Kiten knew he'd soon flee on one of his boats to safety in Athens or Crete.

Constantinople.jpg

Emperor Wihtred inspects the walls under siege.

"Sir?" the marshal called, "my lord a sizable hole has been opened in the walls. Shall we proceed with phase two?" The King followed the marshal's pointing finger to a cleared region in wall. Yes, that would work, the King thought. He smiled and nodded to the marshal, who then picked up Kiten's smile and turned to the generals, "Let us begin our deadly work, gentlemen!"

"Shall we suit you up, my lord?" Kiten's knaves asked.

"Yes, get my strongest armor, boys." Kiten stepped down from his horse to be suited up. All around the horns of war were blasting and the largest army currently standing in Europe began to stir in front of its intended target.

With Kiten leading indirectly from the middle, the Prussian forces marched toward the city, still under cannon fire, with their ladders in hand. The white and gold banners of the great Northern Kingdom waved in the wind. The proud eagle carried in its claws a cross. God was with Prussia, the flags claimed, and in due time the world would see who was truly the greatest. Never before had such an army marched against Constantinople, and never before had the Second Rome fallen.

Hours later Kiten stood on the second set of walls, the first set having fallen to the Prussians. All around him the war waged. Men hacked and slashed at one another, but the Prussians had brought soldiers and the Romans had only farmers and old men. However, the marshal and Kiten knew that the Emperor would have reserved at least a thousand of his elite Saxon warriors, Varangians, descendents of Saxon nobles and peasants who left Prussia with the Emperors. However he could not see their banners on the ramparts, and that caused him great concern. Slowly he returned to his body, and remember where he was. Quickly turning he was able to dodge a poorly aimed hack. Returning the blow, Kiten sliced the man across the chest and qith a kick pushed him off the walls and down into the rubble of the first wall.

The fighting progressed deeper and deeper. And eventually the second wall fell to the Prussians, a feat never before accomplished. Looking to the great church, Kiten saw his target. Now that he was back on horseback, the Prussian King could see that from within the Hagia Sofia the Varangians sallied forth. "Men of Prussia!" he shouted to his host, mostly made up of Asowians and their commander the Sich, "I have seen our target, our treacherous brethren come here to slay us! But they will get no such thing!" The men cheered and pumped their spears. Behind them they were lit by the burning of shops and homes as the Prussians pillaged and torched what they controlled.

The Varangians were on foot, the Sichmen on horseback. Kiten joined them as they formed a straight line across the road, their spears held out, the tips at chest height. But across from them the Saxon guards were living up to their reputation. Their leader stepped forth and began beating his chest and swearing in Saxon. Eventually he ripped off his tunic and revealed a scarred and battered body, freshly cut from the bizarre and unknown rituals of the Varangians. He beckoned Kiten come join them so that he too might have the chest of a true man.

And taking no more from the Saxons, the Sichmen brought their shields up to protect their bodies and began a slow and silent advance. Every inch they gained, as legend said, would be Prussian until Prussia chose to give it up. When they were no more than fifty feet from the enemy they stopped. They waited to see what the Saxons would do. And for a brief second the world stopped and Kiten took a deep breath. Then, with a powerful roar, the Varangians began their charge. Armed with axes and swords the Saxons charged, and the Sichmen remained still, waiting with a new tactic up their sleeves. When the Saxons were only ten feet in front of them, the Sichmen charged and then jumped their horses, crushing the first line of men and allowing them to attack directly the second line.

It was a powerful move, and one that halted the Varangians' charge. Now, with the momentum, the Sichmen began riding and fighting hard, keeping the Saxons scattered and disorganized. Kiten was not used to fighting from horseback, and so was awkward as he tried to shift his weight around to swing his sword. But there was little risk as soon the Saxons broke rank and began to flee. And the Sichmen followed along with the rest of the Prussian army, which began to fan out into the rest of the city, looting and pillaging.

Then, surrounded by his guard and the Sichmen, Kiten marched past the great palaces, the gardens and everything to the doors of the Hagia Sofia, and swinging open the doors he marched inside and kneeling at the altar gave prayer and thanks for his victory over the Romans. Emperor Wihtred was in the church as well, held captive by the Prussians until Kiten could finish his business.

When he was done, Kiten walked over to Wihtred and spoke softly, "Roman, it did my no great harm to sack the Mother of all Cities, to tear her walls down and burn her stores and houses. From time to time it is necessary for humans to punish those for their hubris instead of waiting for God to do it."

"What are your demands?" Wihtred asked, impatient to end it all.

"One ton of silver, the reopening of the straits to Prussian ships and the Bulgarian coasts. Take it or face the rape of your entire country."

"Fine, have your lousy Bulgarians and your damned silver! This is a pathetic waste of my time."

"Strange words for someone who started all of this. Maybe you should think harder next time when you try to threaten the well-being of another state. We are not the pathetic children you like to pretend we are." And with that Kiten left the church with his victory over the Romans. Years of dreaming had come to a satisfying end, made all the better when he stepped out of the church and saw most of the city ablaze, her walls punctured and pock-marked, the people in panic and the hands of Prussians full of gold and silver. He would return through Bulgaria to install new leaders and to begin the building of roads. The future rulers would need them if they wanted to walk directly to Constantinople.

FirstPrusso-RomanWar.png

Prussia and Rome, the annexed region in light red, the areas that sustained heavy fighting during the war in dark purple.

That victory speech was kinda phony... I just can't imagine a prussian king just moving next to the emperor of Rome who is being held captive and then just saying "Give me some land and money and we're cool." to a man that inderectly insulted him.

I expected the emperor would be tied, put on a donkey and that he would ride like this till someone decided to help him.

Still, it's good to see the Romans took down a notch, and Constantinople being reduced.

Hmm, not taking anything nice with you? :p
Everyone has gold, pillage something else!!!
And a harsher peace ought have been better...
I like to believe that the burning of Constantinople was punishment enough. There is, of course, still time for more wars. Obviously since this is only book one. ;)

That victory speech was kinda phony... I just can't imagine a prussian king just moving next to the emperor of Rome who is being held captive and then just saying "Give me some land and money and we're cool." to a man that inderectly insulted him.

I expected the emperor would be tied, put on a donkey and that he would ride like this till someone decided to help him.

Still, it's good to see the Romans took down a notch, and Constantinople being reduced.
Maybe, and I agree that the speech was rather short (and not up to the siege before it), but after writing a chapter that was mostly description, switching back to all talk was a tad awkward. And on top of it, the real punishment was to have the capital critically weakened while Rome was at war with several other countries to the east.

Last edited:
WoooOOOoo!

Life has been a huge pile of stress these last few days, but things are looking up! Finally...

I'd like to apologize for the noticeably poor quality of the last update. I kinda feel like I've let some people down with that. I am trying to improve things again, but that will probably mean fewer updates (maybe 2 every three weeks).

For those of you who don't know, I am a student studying to become an Aeronautical Engineer, and I have a heavy workload. I've also, for the sake of building my skills, connections and my resumé, have joined a Solar Racing team, and I am one of the few people with a real understanding of aerodynamics and the only one who's schooling is specialized in aerodynamics, so my skills are in high demand.

Luckily, not all weeks should be as rushed as this one... and the pressure is letting off some now that we've hit the hump day.

I love your story, it feels so original, it's so well thought out and it feel realistic, you inspire me -so- much! Hæder og ære til Preussen!*

Please keep up the amazing fantastic work!

(*Glory and honor to Prussia in Danish)

Don't worry. A bad ending for one chapter doesn't make the 60 pages of a great AAR worse.

Oh, and - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeSJ9loxFgI. :)

I love your story, it feels so original, it's so well thought out and it feel realistic, you inspire me -so- much! Hæder og ære til Preussen!*

Please keep up the amazing fantastic work!

(*Glory and honor to Prussia in Danish)

Thanks guys, stuff like this keeps me going (also, thanks for the first post Keanon). This week's update is about half done. Two new characters to finally be unveiled.

I've been doing some thinking about Books 2 and 3, I believe that EUIII (given the time span and pages of notes I have thus far) will be split up into the two Books. Probably with the late XVII Century onwards being included with the "Vicky" section. I believe that starting in Book 2 (or possibly Book 3) that character dialogue will be in Anglobaltic with English subtitles given directly below. This is still up for debate.

There is also a modern speech on the Anglobaltic forum, don't read it if you don't like spoilers but it comes in English and three forms of Prussian writing.

Cheers.

Holy shit update! (No picture though, sorry)

Homelands
Part 4

Prelude:
King Kiten of Prussia had been forcibly wed to Marie Dormandy by his court in 1280. The move was seen as poorly thought out and unsympathetic to the nation and King still mourning the loss of Queen Rasa. Some in the court were very sympathetic to Kiten's refusal to consummate his marriage, but as the years wore on many forgot his stance. It was then to Kiten's surprise that Marie became pregnant, and spread the word that she carried Kiten's child. The King left to the arms of the daughter of the Prince of Bohemia-Moravia, Blanzena Luxembourg. In 1283 Oleksander was born to Marie and many in the court were quick to proclaim the bastard heir. Eventually Kiten got through the court and said that the child could not possibly be his. The Patriarch, displeased with the whole issue quickly ordered the marriage annulled and wanted Marie executed. Once again, Kiten stepped in and had her sparred. Instead, she was banished from the Kingdom in 1284, one of the first people to publically suffer that fate, and when the question of Oleksander came up, Kiten again showed mercy and kept the small child as his own. But new trouble was coming in the days ahead as Kiten still needed an heir to please the court and ensure that his own line would go on even if just one more generation.

January 14th, 1284

Kiten was sleeping next to a woman for the first time since Rasa's death. His problems were mounting and hypocrisy was not lost on him. He loved Blazena as he still loved Rasa, but now she was pregnant and it was only a matter of time before the court found out. He knew if they were wed soon, they could write it off as a consummation act with a slightly early birth, it would raise no suspicion. So as he lay on his back, eyes wide open staring at the ceiling he thought how he would somehow have to ask for one marriage to be dissolved and for another to be made official in only a few days. The politics of lust and beauty were an ugly pair, but in this case necessary to a nation yearning for an heir to the throne. He thought about little Oleksander, who though barely able to move his body alone was now the center of a nation-wide conspiracy and shame fest. He couldn't really blame Marie for doing what he did so often and so willingly in his youth, days that sometimes even now he longed to live again.

Slowly he slipped from the bed and headed down to the court, tip-toeing past Marie's room. In the throne room he found some others still awake, including the Patriarch. They were quietly discussing something, something which they stopped when they saw the King. "Your majesty!", the Patriarch started, "Is there somethi..."

Kiten cut him off, "Enough, what are you discussing here?" No one seemed willing to answer, instead they tried to change the subject. "I have little interest in the weather, gentlemen, now what was this other thing you are trying so hard to cover up?"

The Patriarch cleared his throat and then began, "We want your marriage with Marie annulled," he said unhappily, "Now I know this is unorthodox and probably rather embarrassing, but she has committed a crime to you and to the nation by trying to pass off a bastard as the heir to the Kingdom."

A wave of relief washed over Kiten, one so strong he became worried that it would appear visibly. "Hmm, that is something that never crossed my mind, but if it is right for the nation I could be persuaded. What do you want done with Marie?"

"She is to be executed for treason," the Patriarch answered quickly and forcefully.

"What?" Kiten asked, honestly surprised, "You cannot just go hacking people's heads off without my permission! I will not have a lady executed, it is not proper." There was an awkward silence as the Patriarch thought, he knew that Kiten planned to use him for his own means, and that meant a divorce and probably a marriage.

"Then banishment is the only other option, your majesty," the Patriarch said.

Kiten considered it for a second and then nodded, "I can deal with that. I am just uninterested in killing the sister of an ally within my Kingdom. It isn't smart and it isn't friendly," he said. The Patriarch didn't appear happy, but at least he got the divorce. It was almost too easy. The King, then satisfied, excused himself from the room and back to his bed room.

Laying back down he stirred Blazena, she turned over and in her grogginess asked, "Wha? Where were you?"

"I convinced the Patriarch to have my marriage annulled as soon as possible," Kiten replied, giving her a kiss. She smiled and rolled back over, hardly awake. Kiten finally got some sleep, his best in years. It was strange for to not have any worries niggling at the back of his thoughts as he dreamt.

October 23rd, 1284

The court had gathered for a very expedient crowning. The night before Blazena had given birth to a small baby boy. The child was fragile and few thought he would make it even through the night, but the next day Kiten was quick to pronounce the infant his heir. The Patriarch submerged the child in the baptismal water, and withdrew him. "And child, with the power of God and the will of a King and nation I name thee: Vishly, Prince of Prussia!" The knights saluted the infant as they would any other superior. "May your life and eventual reign bring stability and riches to Prussia, amen!" the Patriarch finished.

Kiten took the boy back and returned to his spot by the Queen. He smiled as he looked down at the small boy. Back home, with the nannies, Oleksander was nearly forgotten. He was barely six months Vishly's elder, but elder or not, he was inferior to other bastard. Kiten led the group back to the palace through the cool autumn air, people in the capital came to see the small prince. The King and Queen were very proud, both at the birth but also at the deception that they pulled over the eyes of the world.

"Kiten, this is more than I could have ever dreamed of as a child!" Blazena said, once they were alone again with their son and adopted son. She smiled to Kiten, who smiled back. "To be a Queen and to have a son to carry on my lineage!" She paused, looking at Vishly, "He looks just like you!"

"That is good, I am a good looking fellow and he shall be the same!" Kiten was almost fifty now, much older than Blazena or their children. His daughters from his marriage with Rasa were growing up. They all liked Blazena, but they mostly saw her as a friend rather than a mother. Kiten's oldest was actually a year older than his new wife, married and with children of her own.

"What do you see in the future for him?" she asked.

"Well... I am no pagan medium, but his reign shall bring great change to Prussia... as will mine. I still have much time to do my work in this world."

"Aye, my love. We still have much time."

"Yes, I shall have to get to work, Blazena. I see a new direction for Prussia, we shall not idle any longer. Europe needs saving, we must be the ones to do it."

His daughter is older than his wife. Heh.

Reminds me of my current de Hauteville game in which I try to make my dynasty the Habsburgs. Inbredding for the win!

I managed to avoid the inbred trait in this game, which is surprising given that at least 70% of the people in my court and 80% of my vassals had the last name "Leofricson". Other branches of the dynasty were not so lucky.... I am looking at you Polish branches.

:mad:

Damned inbred Dukes starting revolts.

You should see Rome AARisen- those lusty Komnenoi go through women at a breakneck pace. As far as I can tell from the story, your Kings have really stayed chaste/not had many wives. I played County of Napoli once and one guy had at least 4 wives.

You should see Rome AARisen- those lusty Komnenoi go through women at a breakneck pace. As far as I can tell from the story, your Kings have really stayed chaste/not had many wives. I played County of Napoli once and one guy had at least 4 wives.

Actually the wives/child count is usually really high. I just don't mention them much because they are usually not important to the development of the main characters.

My guts sense a crusade of sorts about to begin in Europe...

Congratulations to the young parents :)

What culture is Blazena? :p

And are they both bastards or is Vishly a proper heir?
Vasili? :p
Blazena is Czech, the Luxemburgs have two main branches, the Prussian and Czech branches. The Prussian one is just minor nobility, produces some Generals later; the Czech has its own history.

Both are bastards. Vishly, however is not known to be a bastard. Since Kiten and Blazena got wed soon after confirmed conception, he was written off by the court as having been born early and conceived on the wedding night. Vishly is the heir apparent (Prince of Prussia) and the heir presumptive (eldest legitimate son).

My guts sense a crusade of sorts about to begin in Europe...

Congratulations to the young parents :)
One of sorts, not to give too much away. ;)

Homelands
Part 5

Prelude:
By the end of 1285 all of Bosnia, Croatia and Styria had been conquered by a new ruler: Peter Crncevic. Peter was a Shiite Prince from Naples, the second son of the ruling Emir there, who lost his claim to the throne to his older, but inbred and mentally unsuited, brother. With several thousand loyal troops, Peter (then Pietro), headed to the failing Caliphate outpost of Bosnia and quickly conquered it and the surrounding environs in 1280. In 1284 he was crowned King in Zagreb. King Kiten of Prussia viewed Bosnia as a major threat to the region and to Christianity. In 1284 the Duchy of Serbia was defeated by Bosnia during an attempt to liberate Croatia for Serbia. In 1285 Bosnia conquered the homelands of the Zähringer dynasty, Styria. With the Roman Empire still fighting against Armenia in the east, not to mention the sting of defeat in 1282 still fresh in their minds, the Romans would be of little use in fighting off Bosnia. Kiten knew that Bosnia would have to be checked soon, or it was likely that the Roman Empire would crumble to dust under the onslaught of Islam and as much as he hated the Romans he preferred them to Armenia or Bosnia. It was in the fall of 1285 that Kiten found an ally against Bosnia in a very unlikely person.

Bosnia.png

Peter's Kingdom of Bosnia.

November 17th, 1285

"I am Jean de Beauce, son of Emir Jean, Prince of the Frankish lands," a noble introduced himself. He bowed before Kiten, dramatically with his hands stretched out. "I have been sent by order of my father's liege, the Caliph Amalric of Toledo, to discuss with you a proposition."

"I am listening," Kiten said from his throne, he leaned forward to show is inventiveness.

"It is no mystery to us that you plan to curb the expansion of Pietro the Black, he is also a threat to the Caliph, and we would like to help you with this expedition."

"If you are looking for Dalmatia back, you can consider it lost," Kiten said, slowly as to not be offensive.

"His grandness, the Caliph, understands this instead we ask for Styria. He feels that it will be more successful at applying pressure against Germany for the rulers there to lose their original fief, a treasure in their family, and the wealth and prestige it brings them every year."

Kiten stopped to think, it was a pretty good deal. He generally had no plan for the region anyways, falling back that he would overrun it and attach it to Hungary, forcing the Prince of Hungary to deal with integrating it into the Kingdom. "I can say we have a deal, so what kind of forces is the Caliph going to be providing?"

"As many as it takes to get the job done, my lord," Jean said, rather pleased with the outcome.

"That sounds good, this could be the start of something powerful," Kiten remarked. He stood up and shook Jean's hand.

"I shall have our marshals here by winter so that we can try to plan a quick and painless plan of invasion." Jean bowed and was excused from the throne room. But the second he was gone, Kiten knew the real problems would start.

"What is this madness?!" a member of the clergy shouted. The Patriarch could not be bothered to be in Kiten's presence anymore, so instead sent lackeys. "You are forming an alliance with Muslims?! What next? Are you to convert the entire country?"

"That is quite a jump of reasoning there, boy," Kiten said to the young man, "You really have no idea how reality works, don't you?" Kiten patted the man on his back.

"You are putting people at risk!"

"Yes, they are called soldiers and that is why I paid to have them trained," Kiten joked.

"I mean innocent people are at risk! Risk of the influence of Islam, risk of the end of the Kingdom!"

"I doubt Bosnia is going to be able to fight off all of Prussia and Hungary," Kiten knew what the clergyman meant, but chose to play ignorant, "So why do you get out of here?" Kiten shook his head, the culture war between the clergy and the state was become too much for him. The posing threat of Islam was not one of the religion but of one expansionist state versus another. But there were groups within Prussia that feared the eventual fall from grace of Prussia if she continued to remain at peace with Islam.

"It will never end, Kiten," Blazena said, "I have listened to the clergy and I have listened to those who believe in them... and they are dangerous. If they were to ever seize power there would never be peace until one side is completely annihilated."

"I know," Kiten said, "I try to avoid it as much as possible. Despite the religious purposes of the 'Caliph' I find that our neighbor is a rather secular state. Even more than we are. They have too many people to try to pick favorites and expect to succeed. We are much the same way, and like they are just discovering, we must balance the power of the King, the Nobility and the Church. All three want total control, only one can."

"And here I just thought you were a pretty face," Blazena joked, "But did you expect the Caliph to come to your assistance."

"No, I didn't. But I am quite pleased with the idea."

"Huh, you reacted so quickly to their demands, it was as if it was all rehearsed!"

"Really? I thought I was quiet for at least a minute... But regardless, we are drawing lines in the dirt of other people. That is easy. If it was a more pressing issue, it would have been a harder choice. How are the boys doing?"

"Good, they seem to be growing close to one another."

"Yes, I can see it as well," Kiten said, "Soon we shall leave for Kiev. I do not want them exposed to the cold here. There we shall finalize this war with Bosnia and sign a treaty with the Caliphate. It shall be an exciting few years coming up."

"Years? Will Bosnia take that long?"

"No, but I have other plans. Prussia is going to secure her place in the world, and we have more enemies than just Bosnia."

End Chapter Twenty Eight