• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Homelands
Chapter Twenty Six: Darkest Before Dusk
Part 6

Prelude:
Schooling in the Middle Ages was almost unheard of outside of the ruling class of nobles. Nobles were taught basic things, usually concerning history and language so that they might converse with other nobles from other lands. Popular languages at the time in Prussia included German and French as this acted as interlingua for displaced nobles from around Western Europe. By the end of the XIII Century Prussian was acting as an interlingua third behind Arabic and French. Around the same time formal Universities were starting to come into existence. Their main topics were theology, philosophy, language and law and were often conducted in churches and cathedrals. The first physical university in Prussia was the University of Kiev, built in 1266. It specialized in theology and philosophy. The first law school was constructed in 1288 in Memelgrád. A minor school on mathematics, engineering and astrology was built in Riega in 1332. These three schools would be the entirety of Prussian learning until the late XVI Century. King Karnak was not a major sponsor of education in his lands. Very few leaders were supportive of their laymen being educated in the Medieval world. They correctly feared that an educated society would eventually see the flaws in the despotic monarchy and eventually demand its deconstruction.

Kiev.jpg

The University of Kiev from period illustrations.

October 6th, 1266

Kiten watched from afar as his father opened the University of Kiev. The complex was large, but most of its space was devoted to living space for the monks and priests who would tend to the University's main functions. The Prince shook his head. He didn't understand the purpose of a university here in Prussia. They already had plenty of educated people in the ruling class, and plenty of priests after the schism with the Romans. Instead he saw something dangerous for those who ruled, but he shook those thoughts out of his head. The Prince was already heading back to the palace, he had no purpose at the opening, people knew his face and they knew he would not be one to sit idly by as his father soaked up the attention. His carriage bounced slightly, but it didn't bother him. He just smiled and said hello to passer-bys who smiled and saluted him. He had his own cult following within the Kingdom, something he planned to use to his advantage.

There was talk of other Princes, though Kiten knew he had only one brother, Bulei, who was still not of age. But Kiten had not yet fathered a son, rather a few daughters, which worried the nobles. If Bulei could secure his own line of succession first there was a slight chance that he could gain support and become Prince of Prussia, heir to a nation very much in love with Kiten. He smirked, the thought of a civil war graced his mind briefly. A chance to purge Prussia of a uncountable number of nobles. The cold air made him lose his line of thoughts. He coughed and reached for a piece of cloth to clean his face.

Klaudijs, who was sitting quietly and obediently in the carriage with the Prince spoke up, "Sir, you seem rather deep in thought. What troubles your mind?"

"Nothing, Klaudijs, just thinking about the future and how I want to get there," Kiten said to his guard. Klaudijs was nearing retirement, age was setting upon him and it was only through Kiten's respect and friendship that he maintained the job as herald at all. "Time has a funny way of changing people, doesn't it Klaudijs?"

The herald smiled and nodded, "Yes, sir, it does. But it is often for the better."

"Has time made a better man of me, Klaudijs?" Kiten asked, cutting to the chase.

Klaudijs paused, the directness caught him off guard, "I do believe so, master Kiten. I met you as a young boy, maybe ten or so... no older than my own son... heh."

"What?" Kiten asked, laughing.

"My own son is fully grown, he is only a year older than you, but thirty two... and me... nearly fifty!" Klaudijs shook his head. "It has been a long time, Kiten. You should know that by now." Klaudijs lost his line of thought, trailing off with a gaze out toward the passing trees. "I somehow... I somehow don't think we are all made the same, Kiten... and it isn't just about how big your father was, or your mother..."

"What do you mean, Klaudijs?"

"I mean... look at Serlo Dormandy. I'd say 'God rest his soul' but I couldn't think of a greater hell for that man. By the age of eighteen was leading a host into battle. By twenty was uniting a people under a single banner. By twenty eight he told the Roman Emperor that he could single handedly defeat the entire Roman Empire. I would have believed him."

"So? The man was a hero, what more could you expect?" Kiten asked.

"Kiten; Serlo and his father, Hyg, were both born very sick and very frail. It was a miracle they survived to adulthood at all. They seemed so tough because they had made themselves physically strong. They took chances, fought adversity... they were better people because of it. Life in the Sich is very different than life in the capital, especially for a Prince."

Kiten nodded, his journey to Berlin and Luckenwalde had taught him that. Without much more to say, the Prince was glad that the carriage reached the palace. He followed Klaudijs back inside, away from the cold air and back to where he could find warmth and food. Inside he found Andres and his wife and their few children enjoying their time together. They were so happy together. Deeper in Jakob was flirting with one of the maids in the kitchen. She wasn't the best looking girl, but she had a nice face and a good heart, plus she knew that the secret to Jakob's heart was Chicken Kiev.

Heading up the stairs, Kiten found that which made him happy. Rasa sat in a large sun room on the third floor of the palace. Around her sat three girls, one slightly older than the other two. She was telling them stories about brave Prussian knights saving their damsels in distress. "Was daddy a brave knight too?" his eldest asked.

"Yes, and he had to fight many an evil witch and dragon to save me," Rasa answered. She looked up and saw Kiten watch them from the door way, "Wán he runáf uz se wulf, he kálláf in."

"A wolf huh?" Kiten said, jokingly, "Did your mother tell you of the time I saw a wolf in Ladusia?"

"No no no no!" The girls said in unison. They gathered with their mother to listen to what they thought would be a grand epic.

Kiten chuckled a urged them to calm with his hands. "Yes, he was the largest wolf ever, probably as big as a house!"

"Did you have to fight him?"

"No, the people from the region said he was a protector, he kept the evil pagans out of Prussia so that we could all be safe."

"So the wolf is our friend?"

"Some are, some wolves are our friends."

End Chapter Twenty Six

Last edited:
What of the Wolf of Rome`?:rolleyes:
If you are referring to the Capitoline Wolf, no... she is not a friend. ;)

If you are referring to the line: "Wán he runáf uz se wulf, he kálláf in" it means "When you speak of the wolf he is summoned" similar to the English phrase "Speak of the Devil".

How did you make maps like these?

I use photoshop (an old version) and the blank CK map, I then fill the provinces using the paint bucket with anti-aliasing off and the tolerance set to zero. If I am using multiple colors or when I want to add the paper texture I set the mode to RGB (from indexed), then I add the paper as a new layer and set it to "multiply".

To get the fade I use the magic wand to select the provinces I wanted to fade, also with tolerance at zero, and then used the gradient tool with the one end set to invisible.

Other than that I keep track of changes to the map (territory-wise) as to not randomly have the map change though if I do forget the map is usually fixed pretty quick.

If you are referring to the Capitoline Wolf, no... she is not a friend. ;)

If you are referring to the line: "Wán he runáf uz se wulf, he kálláf in" it means "When you speak of the wolf he is summoned" similar to the English phrase "Speak of the Devil".

There be a much cooler version in China; Speak of Cao Cao, and Cao Cao arrives. :cool:
A person who lived 1800 years ago, and he be still remembered. A true evil mastermind.
Who not 'speak of the Finn, and he cometh' referring to the evil Mordvins living north of Prussia. :D

There be a much cooler version in China; Speak of Cao Cao, and Cao Cao arrives. :cool:
A person who lived 1800 years ago, and he be still remembered. A true evil mastermind.
Who not 'speak of the Finn, and he cometh' referring to the evil Mordvins living north of Prussia. :D

Ooo, speaking of Mordvins, that reminds me that in the next version of PEIOU a bit of attention has been given to them, creating new flags as well as splitting the Mordvin culture up a bit.

Great updates!!

Sorry I wasn't around, was in Italy, but I read the updates now, they are abosultely stunning!!! Great job!

The intersting point is that Kiten seems like a good king, I just hope he understands what comes around, it seems like Klaudijs was trying to say "everybody is pretty much the same, the way they were tought is what makes a diffrance" not sure I got it right thourgh.

Great updates! Keep up the good job.

Just took a look at this AAR for first time and it was hard to stop reading to stop by and comment :). You really are an talented writer! I like the updates lenght and your writing style. Now I have to leave the screen but I shall return tomorrow to read more about the Anglo-Prussians!

Great updates!!

Sorry I wasn't around, was in Italy, but I read the updates now, they are abosultely stunning!!! Great job!

The intersting point is that Kiten seems like a good king, I just hope he understands what comes around, it seems like Klaudijs was trying to say "everybody is pretty much the same, the way they were tought is what makes a diffrance" not sure I got it right thourgh.

Great updates! Keep up the good job.
I believe Klaudijs's point was "you are what you make of yourself," but whatever people get out of it is the right thing.

Ah lucky, I'd love to go to Italy for a while, get out of the cold and rain of Indiana.

Mr. Capitalist, for your amazing character Kiten, I've passed on the Character Writer of the Week Award to you. Enjoy your week in the spotlight!
Wow, thank you very much! I shall do just that! :cool:

Just took a look at this AAR for first time and it was hard to stop reading to stop by and comment :). You really are an talented writer! I like the updates lenght and your writing style. Now I have to leave the screen but I shall return tomorrow to read more about the Anglo-Prussians!
Thank you very much, I love seeing new people join in on the adventure. :D

---
Slowly and steadily we are approaching Oceans, the second book. I don't remember exactly how many chapters are left, but there will be more than thirty. But there is still much to be done in Homelands yet!

Great update! You certainly deserve that award! Kiten by far is your masterpiece. I await his reign.

Will you be taking the same approach to Kiten when he is King (meaning, will new characters spring up; I don't recall you saying how long his reign actually was)?

Great update! You certainly deserve that award! Kiten by far is your masterpiece. I await his reign.

Will you be taking the same approach to Kiten when he is King (meaning, will new characters spring up; I don't recall you saying how long his reign actually was)?
Thank you, Issac.

Probably, Kiten is a strong character and interesting enough to stand alone, so new characters are inevitable but I believe Kiten will hog most of the spot light until Vishly is older. One idea is to actually keep track of his wives for a change. Once Vishly takes over he'll probably be the sole main character though his sons might play their roles as well.

I have never posted in in here before but i would like to say ive been following this since your first update and i check the thread atleast once a day for an update. Keep up the magnificent work Mr. C:D

I have never posted in in here before but i would like to say ive been following this since your first update and i check the thread atleast once a day for an update. Keep up the magnificent work Mr. C:D

Haha, well thank you for the dedication and praise. I don't know if I could handle multiple updates a day. :wacko: Though it has been done.

Thanks for the info ! about the maps

No problem, if you have any issues ask around.

Homelands
Chapter Twenty Seven: Between Kings and Paupers
Part 1

Prelude:
Poland was integrated into Prussia through a series of wars and claims that eventually left Prussia the master of the East. The title "King of Poland" was one reserved only for paper, but the title "Grand Prince of Poland" entered usage in the mid XIII Century. Poland of the XIII Century was different than the Poland of the XI and XII Centuries. She was smaller and confined as a land-locked territory that bordered up with Hungary and Bohemia. She was ruled by four Princes, with her capital at Krákográd. The most powerful of these was the Prince of Lesser Poland, Gibedats Janissun. Gibedats was a descendent of the ruling family, a fact that kept him in power. He was a drunkard and a shameless thief of public funds. In 1268 the three other Princes could stand no more, they demanded he step down and wrote an official complaint to King Karnak. When Karnak refused to remove a family member, no matter how far removed, revolts broke out across Poland. The situation took a turn for the worse when Gibedats was hanged in Krákográd. Karnak declared the revolt a national issue, not just a provincial one. The Army was forced to move into Poland and subdue the revolt and remove the remaining Princes. The entire event was a huge fiasco for the crown and one that would have hung heavily on the final years of Karnak's reign if not for bigger changes.

Poland1269.png

Poland in Green within Prussia in Red.

December 14th, 1269

Kiten was sitting at his father's desk signing pardons. He was going to undo this entire issue, his father was a moron, siding with incompetent and inbred "family members" over loyal and trustworthy Princes. Klaudijs had retired, so Kiten had adopted his father's steward who know stood beside the desk collecting papers as Kiten finished them.

"If you father knew what you were doing he'd kill you," the steward said discouragingly. Kiten glared at him and then went back to finishing up his work as Regent.

"It wouldn't be the stupidest thing he has done," Kiten said forcibly, he paused and then added, "And if I find out one, even just one, of these pardons didn't make it to Krákográd it will be me killing you." The steward sneered and then left the room. Kiten shook his head and then got up to leave. At the door, Rasa stopped him, pushing him back into the room and closing the door behind her.

"Kiten, what are you doing?! You are not King yet! You're father might still recover!" Rasa was speaking of Karnak's stroke. It had left him paralyzed and mute. Right now he only stirred enough to eat.

"Rasa, I wouldn't be surprised if my father makes it another ten years, if not just to spite me and the people of Prussia... but I cannot live with myself knowing I could have saved those people and didn't because my father wouldn't be happy with me." That was that, Kiten would hear no more nay-sayers and Rasa knew it.

"What are you going to do then, Kiten?"

"I don't know, there is not much I can do. As Regent I can only do internal things. That means Prussia is going to be removed from Europe for awhile. It gives Constantinople precious time to be preparing," he joked, hoping to lighten the mood. His father's condition hung over the palace like some sort of plague. People seemed worried and apprehensive about the coming years. Few people smiled, and laughter was limited only to the oblivious children than ran around playing their games. Rasa smiled, but in doing so lowered her face so Kiten couldn't see. It was as if everyone was already in mourning, afraid to look happy.

Kiten walked with Rasa back out of the King's office. He had his own office to hide in, but where no one would come looking for him. Along the way he passed the room where his father lie unconscious. Suddenly he felt someone pulling at his shirt. The Prince turned around and looked at Rasa, who was now stopped in front of his father's room. Kiten stopped and turned completely around. "Don't be your father," she said, "Just go see him." Her words were soft and true, but Kiten lamented not having an excuse to say no.

He entered the room, his father was growing deathly thin. Karnak was tended to by a few priests and a doctor, but really there was nothing they could do so they appeared as mere mourners The Prince pushed past them and sat down by his father. In the silence Kiten heard the shallow and raspy breathing from his father's lungs. Deep down he could feel his sympathy welling inside himself. He buried his face in his hands and shook it back and forth. After a while he got up and left, returning to Rasa in the hallway.

"You had nothing to say? You of all people?" she asked.

"O, I had plenty to say, my love, by I had no one listening," Kiten said, "I never did with him... even in life, why would I start now?"

Rasa looked concerned, "Shall we keep going?" Kiten nodded, taking Rasa's hand and moving away from the door. "You are torn, aren't you? Between your father and your values?"

"I am never torn when it comes to my values, Rasa, you know that."

"But you want to be a good son, I can see it in your eyes: that is one of your values. You want people to like you and your father does not like you."

Kiten was silent, was he that easy to figure out? He smiled, if anyone would understand him it would be Rasa. "Maybe, maybe that is it, but regardless I might be a bit late to fix those issues. I mean, I did just undo his entire crime in Poland."

"What do you want to do from here?"

"I want to get rid of that damned steward, that guy is a problem. But other than that, there is not much I can do. As you pointed out, I am not King yet, there is not much I can do..."

"I mean, what are you going to do about your father."

"O..." Kiten said, caught off guard, "Well... I don't know. What can I do? He undoes what I do, I undo what he does... honestly we work well together maintaining the status quo. From here I wait. Either he wakes up and I have to explain myself, or he doesn't and I answer to no one."

"Are you worried?"

"Worried? Worried about what? That he will wake up, yeah... but not nearly as worries as I am about being King."

"Really?"

Kiten nodded, "Choices become a lot more complicated when people care about the outcome."

Just caught up with the last two updates.

Kiten is too confident. Thinking of sparking a civil war on purpose to eliminate nobles without even thinking what would happen if he failed.

Too confident.
I think you might have something backwards. Kiten pardoned the Princes that Karnak had removed.

Why can't Kiten just be made a co-Emperor? :rolleyes:
Good question... we shall see.