• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Nothing specific.
The normal grinding trying to stay ahead of OrangeYoshi while trying to catch stnylan and veldmaarschalk, eventually also Vulture. :cool:
So did one of the mods cheat and lower your post count?

I don't like this Karnak. He's not a proper Leofricson.
Kings don't care about the people! They care about wealth, blood and wars!

Ahh, I just can't wait for Vishly and some proper tyranny. That will turn into madman tyranny when he's an old geezer. :)
Well, Karnak has quite a life span, so I am putting forth other characters to follow (such as Serlo) and therefore avoid a character I knew would be less likable. :eek:o

ALSO:
Beta v.2 is out... check out the MEIOU forum and look for posts tagged [PEIOU]

hey Karnek- don't hate us!

FYI, the Jews in Poland only came after the black death, until that point the Population of Jews were reltivly low, because the Black Death was primrliy blamed on Jews, most of the Jews of France and Germeny were exiled, and Poland, which was untouched by the Black Death, invited them because they needed an educated population, basicly that was the advantage of Jews for the Kings around Europe, it's an educated population that doesn't claim rights unlike the Noblitiy.

Nothing short of epic. Perhaps Karnak will understand that he is not just some 'knight in shining armor.' The people have needs which are necessary to address. Every ruler has to look back on occasion and make sure he is being followed.

Stop hating on the Ashkenazim, Karnak!

Knights aren't supposed to be that ignorant, the Revisionists are!
Yes, but this knight isn't as up-to-date on the workings of the world.

hey Karnek- don't hate us!

FYI, the Jews in Poland only came after the black death, until that point the Population of Jews were reltivly low, because the Black Death was primrliy blamed on Jews, most of the Jews of France and Germeny were exiled, and Poland, which was untouched by the Black Death, invited them because they needed an educated population, basicly that was the advantage of Jews for the Kings around Europe, it's an educated population that doesn't claim rights unlike the Noblitiy.
Well, what probably has done it in this world (and why they are lumped up against Germany) is Revisionism. If Revisionists cannot even tolerate their brethren I doubt they will tolerate the Jews. So I think that those puzzle pieces fit well together.

That said this is probably the last time we will hear of this for a while. I am worried about starting to skirt Paradox's rules about this sort of thing. Call me spineless, but I've made it this far and can still count my warnings on my right hand and I don't want to be kicked off now.

Nothing short of epic. Perhaps Karnak will understand that he is not just some 'knight in shining armor.' The people have needs which are necessary to address. Every ruler has to look back on occasion and make sure he is being followed.
Thank you, Issac. Hopefully Karnak will do just that.

Homelands
Chapter Twenty Five: Land of Snow and Ice
Part 1

Prelude:
As the Kieven Rus dissolved into history, Russia was known less as "Russia" and more as either "Mordvia", for the Mordvin and pagan regions; or "Ladusia", for the Prussian controlled regions. Ladusia comes from the Prussian ladusjá meaning "land of ice". The definition of Russia was also changing. Where once it was a large, massive region between Poland and the Volga, it was now a desolate northern expanse outside of Prussian control but not inhabited by ethnic Mordvins. As Mordvin settlement in the north increased Russia shrank. Eventually it shrank to the region between Pskov and Tver where the last of the true Russians lived. There was still, however, a title associated with the Rus: the King of Russia. Of all the Eastern titles, this was believed to be a divine one. Karnak believed that this title was rightfully his. In the mid 1240's the Mordvin Empire was straining slightly, the Russian people were in revolt. Prussia, seeking to use this opportunity to wage to small border wars with Mordvia, first aimed at the Tver region and the second at a small strip of land to the East. All of this would lead to the eventual end of the Narva dynasty in the 1270's. They would be replaced by the Wolgast dynasty who would move the capital north to Novgorod. It would be a decade of war and revolt. Some of the consequences would take years to be fulfilled, and it was all started out of greed and envy for a land of snow and ice.

Russia-1.png

The popular definition of "Russia" in 1100 in Red and the 1250 definition of "Ladusia" in Green. There is overlap around Tver and Novgorod.

September 22nd, 1244

Karnak sipped a strong honey wine while sitting on the porch of his autumnal palace in Keæv. He was quiet and still, trying to enjoy the call of birds and the calls of small children. It was a relaxibg place he had chosen as his favorite palace. He could tell that two men stood behind him, he had started paying more attention after the attempt at his life. "Can I help you, gentlemen?" the King asked.

"Your majesty, Serlo Dormandy is here as requested," the guard said.

"Good, show him in," Karnak commanded.

"I am already here, your majesty," said the distinctive voice of Sich Serlo, commander of the Asowian Hosts. He stepped forth as the guard left the balcony, "Your letter made the need of my presents seem very urgent. How may I be of assistance?"

"I am planning to go to war, Serlo, and I believe that the chosen field of battle is a perfect place for you and the Host," Karnak said with an added flare. He placed his drink on the table, stood up and turned to face the commander of his armies. "What do you say, Serlo?"

"I would first ask who are you planning on attacking, then I would ask when do you want it done."

"It is Tver, to the north... I want to campaign to start as soon as possible as I fear Mordvia might recapture the city soon."

"You will risk an all-out war with Mordvia over a trivial border city? Forgive me, sir, but I don't believe that is the wisest choice at this time. Prussia has become lazy, her soldiers fat. We would need time to rearm the nation and prepare her for war."

"That is why I asked you to do it, Serlo, you and the Host," Karnak said. "I trust you can do it."

"Sir, I think you misinterpret the Host's ability. We are light riders... Nothing more than raiders really. I do not have an intimate knowledge of sieging cities. More over I do not have the correct troops or equipment for it. We would need another army. On top of that we would need to watch the Mordvins carefully. The Host cannot possibly be expected to defend the entire frontier of Prussia, your majesty."

"Then I shall join you with the Guardsmen at Tver. The Guard is never out of practice."

"Don't you have a young son, my lord? I believe that the heir to the Kingdom needs the attention he deserves. I cannot put my lord at risk. A war in Russia would mean deathly cold nights... I wouldn't be able to guarantee your safety."

"So you will not command the Host to Tver, then?" Karnak asked skeptically.

Serlo was silent, carefully choosing his words in his head. "If you need ground forces, I am your loyal servant... but we Asowians are not known for our ability to take fortified cities. Tver is a fortress, massive. I've seen it during my journeys on the Volga, sir."

"I guess it would be hard to scale a wall on horseback," Karnak joked.

"That it is, sir." Karnak paced around, his hand to his chin. He didn't like being told no, but he guessed that it was better to be told no then to have to hear excuses for not achieving victory. Serlo was right, however, the armies were becoming lazy. Years of peace had done that. But peace is what made the Prussia around him.

"Well, Serlo? Can you think of anything else?"

"What sort of siege equipment do we have the capability of building?" Serlo asked, "Breaching those walls is paramount for victory. We cannot scale them easily."

"Well, I can have the engineers prepare trebuchets, but you seem to have a different plan," Karnak said.

"Have the engineers prepare trebuchets, drill the troops, leave the Guard... I fear they become too powerful. I am headed to Toledo, I shall try to be back before the thaw. I have heard from my men inside Persia of something of the Toledeans that might be able to help. Though I don't expect it to come cheaply..."

"If you trust it can help, I will sponsor such a voyage, you shall leave from Mocárgrád as soon as possible."

"Thank you, my liege."

"Don't let me down, Serlo. I have a lot of faith in you."

"Thank you, hopefully what the Persians have been talking about is not just fantasy." Karnak dismissed Serlo and the rider left the palace to go home and gather a strong guard to watch the payment for the mission. It was risky, but it had to be tried. Shock and awe, that was Serlo's plan. If Karnak could bring down the walls of Tver quickly and easily, the population would simply surrender. This was the shadow he was chasing, a weapon of true destruction. Persians spoke that the Caliph of Toledo had forged a weapon that would bring down walls with fire and iron, a weapon they planned to turn toward Christian Europe, Serlo wanted to turn it toward Pagan Russia.

I sincerely hope Serlo succeeds in his quest for siege weaponry. And that Novgorod and the corridor are taken so that Prussia rules the Baltic.

And furthermore, Karnak delenda est.

I sincerely hope Serlo succeeds in his quest for siege weaponry. And that Novgorod and the corridor are taken so that Prussia rules the Baltic.

And furthermore, Karnak delenda est.
Well, we shall see what our Asowian friend finds in Toledo.

medieval-ii-total-war-2006100405462.jpg

I approve. :D
As do I.

Remember that you only need to make a tver in the walls of Tver.
Ovi in Finnish and in English tver is door. :p
That is the hope, Tver is the symbolic door to Russia for the Prussians.

Just hope the wall is made by IKEA, and it will fall on its own. :D
Ha ha. And then the Prussians shall feast on meatballs!

Homelands
Chapter Twenty Five: Land of Snow and Ice
Part 2

Prelude:
Serlo Dormandy returned from the Caliph as promised, before the thaw. But his fleet of one returned as a fleet of three. The Azowian was accompanied by Yusuf Hadad, the second son of the Sheik of Barcelona. Yusuf was to become the permanent ambassador of the Caliph to Prussia and therefore brought his family and all of his personal wealth with him back to his new home. More importantly was that Yusuf was an accomplished blacksmith. He was the purpose of Serlo's mission, for Yusuf brought with him three titanic cannons named Aali, Aamina, and Amal; Sublime, Feel Safe, and Hope. Karnak was taken aback by the presents of the Istimari man and his family. Like any in Iberia his parents were of mixed heritage, Yusuf was half Catalan, quarter Berber and quarter Arab, his wife the descendent of French converts from the Champagne region. However, the ambassador did not speak Prussian. He had to communicate through Serlo using French as a common tongue. He was, however, interested in the success of the siege of Tver, if only to prove his value to his skeptical master. So while he and Serlo shared a welcoming dinner at the palace of Mocrárgrád he explained to the King his purpose and his plans. The siege, he promised, would be short.

July 21st, 1245

Yusuf spoke to Serlo in French, Karnak stood and waited like many others as the process of using Aali was explained. Yusuf had the presents of mind to bring his own crews, so outside of Tver they loaded the massive iron beast in steps, to show how it was done. "He says, your majesty, that there is no black magic, instead it is a powerful combination of chemicals that will force the iron ball out of this end and toward the castle," Serlo tried to explain. "I didn't quite catch the name of some of the chemicals, but I trust his alchemy."

"Amazing!" Karnak exclaimed, "So these men load the powder behind these balls, what do we do to the powder? Is it spontaneous?" Serlo nodded and began to translate to Yusuf while Karnak walked around the cannon in awe. When the King returned to his original spot, Yusuf made a large gesture with his hands and accompanied it with a loud 'boom'.

"Hadad says that there is a hole at the top, this hole has more of the black powder, and when a flame is introduced to it, the fire burns down to the main chamber, which then explodes in a powerful 'boom'!" Serlo said, mimicking Yusuf's motions. The Arab smiled and nodded and then continued talking to Serlo. Serlo nodded and nodded and then looked up at his King. "Your majesty, Yusuf says that we should all leave the area for safety. He says that it is so loud that it can leave a man permanently deaf... and if it would fail that it would kill everyone in the area... but he doesn't think that will happen because he had them blessed before coming here." Yusuf smiled and nodded, then placing a hand on Karnak led him away from the massive iron construct.

canonC14.jpg

The cannon Aali is prepared for its second firing.

The royal party hiked up to a near-by hill to watch the cannon fire for the first time. Already the siege had been going on for a few weeks, but to prove a point Yusuf aimed the cannon at an untouched piece of the walls to prove its power. A safe distance away everyone stopped and turned to the cannon, now manned only by a few hardy souls. In Tver defenders crowded around to see what had been brought before them.

"Okay," Serlo said in translation, "They are about to light it!" And as he said that Karnak watched one man scramble down the side of the cannon and all the men began running away from the contraption in all directions. Karnak's face was in an open smile, like a child fascinated by an insect. Then, with a tremendous, earth-shaking, mountain splitting roar the cannon fired its first aggressive shell at Tver. Smoke filled the entire area around the cannon and the walls. But slowly it faded in the wind. In the field sat Aali, cross from it was a gaping wound in the walls. Yusuf cheered and Karnak laughed before clapping and cheering. Around them the entire sieging army shouted and clapped. Their voices were heard inside the city walls were people panicked and troops scattered from the area, fearful of another shot.

"That was spectacular!" Karnak said. He turned to Yusuf and patted him on the back. Even Serlo was impressed by the work of this simple device. The Persians had been right, the Caliph had a fearful weapon here, but now Prussia had it too. And more so, Prussia had the best designer and builder of such weapons. Yusuf's smile had faded to a smug, proud look. He had proven himself to the King, now all that was necessary was for Tver to fall.

October 4th, 1245

Tver fell shortly after the fourth shot, fired by Aali. Karnak welcomed Yusuf Hadad into Prussian royalty, knighting him and granting him a personal coat of arms, a green field with a golden cannon on it, above the cannon was a golden sun.

"Paldátu... min... sinik," Yusuf said carefully and slowly. Karnak smiled and nodded.

Afterwards Karnak, Serlo, Yusuf and a several others met for a state dinner. Talk was loud and quick, there was some tension in the beginning, but alcohol quickly solved that problem for many. Yusuf, however, abstained from the drink, but welcomed the friendly faces it produced. He found that many in attendance were at least partially fluent in French, including Isabelle, the Queen.

A small boy was present, one a few days over ten. He sat next to Karnak, but spent most of his night talking to the various other children in attendance. He seemed equally comfortable talking to the adults and women as he did playing black knight with the other boys. Serlo leaned toward Karnak, "That Kiten is definitely a future ladies' man," he said with a laugh.

Karnak turned and saw his son trying to talk with one of Yusuf's younger daughters. He smiled, "Kiten! Go back with your friends! You'll have time for girls when you are older!"

"Okay!" Kiten gave his father a thumbs up, and then like a knight departing for war, dismissed himself from the company of the young girl. He ran over to the other boys who had divided themselves into two camps, white knights and black knights.

Karnak turned back to Serlo, "What makes you think he is a ladies' man?"

Serlo smiled, "Because I've never seen him play dolls or anything like that... he is just comfortable with them even when all his friends run from them. You saw him, he is a little knight! Be proud, just keep him away from the maids when he becomes of age." Serlo winked and nudged Karnak with his bent elbow.

Karnak smiled, mostly because he didn't know whether or not to be insulted. He turned and watched his son work with the other boys. It was surprising, a small as he was compared to the older boys, he commanded some respect from them. Karnak filed that away in his head. The boy was good at what he did.

Toledo? That is far away... But obviously worth it for the guns.

Well, I meant the country, though I assumed he got at least to Valencia which is a good sail away from Mocárgrád (Odessa in RL). It is hard to remember that the world was a whole lot bigger back then. ;)

Great. As always. And when you mentioned the kid I thought it was Vishly. :(

Ah, a Serlo from the royal family will be cool too.

Sorry, I am trying to make Kiten interesting in his own right, hopefully so he is more tolerable to you all. As for a Prussian Serlo, I can maybe work that into Kiten, he was more of a diplomat like Gunvald, though.

Also: #1000!