• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Great update!

I wonder, did Simon lose his life?
Thanks!

Well, I never really meant to say, but he has decedents, so one can suppose either way.

Less snuggling, more writing great updates :D
I'll need my fix over the Xmas
Okay, okay... but only because I love all of you.

As the other Serlo died last month in Guiscards AAR, another legendary Serlo stands here alive. :cool:
Awesome.

Homelands
Chapter Twenty Four: Call to War
Part 4

Prelude:
Karnak's official reign of peace ended in 1230 when he decided that the Papal Fortress was a thorn too deep into his side. Hungarian troops were of little use, but the Azowians and ethnic Prussians were fine to move on what they saw as a black spire of hate and evil. It was Karnak's hope to ruin Catholicism once and for all, breaking the religious grip it had on Hungary and Bohemia thus leading to easier conversion and control over the regions. The major risk, however, was that once splintered, the Catholics might join Revisionist movements. A risk he had to take for the sake of unity. He ruled three nations as King, but it was not a popular idea to think of them as united, instead they were still treated as mostly independent nations. This was especially true of Hungary, which seemed uninterested in partaking in Prussian custom and culture. In a compromise with the Catholics who did not want to see Abauj sacked, Karnak promised that the county would pass to Hungarian hands. Meanwhile the Pope sat in isolation, a prisoner in the fortress. He not only refused to leave in objection to the Prussian "occupation" of Hungary, but he was also barred from leaving by the Prussian soldiers outside. Karnak relied on only a few hundred soldiers to bring the fortress down after and long and painful siege, a siege that more closely resembled a demolition than a battle.

HungarianandPrussiaKnights.jpg

A Prussian Knight on the Right and a Hungarian Knight on the Left.

December 25th, 1230

In the Azowian people danced and sang praise to their first Christmas without a Pope. Serlo Dormandy was at the center of the activity. For three years he had reigned as the Sich of Zaporozhia, in complete control over two men who were supposed to be his equals. Still, he was not completely finished uniting the Sich, he needed Taurica. But how? He couldn't just move in, the territory was still part of the Roman Empire. It was also unlikely that S'vester Windor, Prince of Taurica, would want to join the Sich. So the Sich sat at the front of his Hall with a goblet of wine, brooding as the party turned to drunken bar songs and hugs between men who had marched into battle next to one another.

Eventually a minstrel made his way to the front of the room, just under Serlo. He turned to the Sich and bowed, his lose clothes hung off his body, making him appear thin and skeletal. "Vet, m'lord! I am Guy, a traveling man of music from far west, here to entertain you and your men!"

"Very well... VET! Quiet my men, for we have a man of song amongst us!" Serlo shouted. Everyone cheered but then became silent as their attention fixed to the man with the lute. He worked on tuning his instrument, and with a few beginning chords went into a song about his host.

Once in a world of grey
And a land in disarray
Was found a man of vision
Who sought to end the division

And so he went to the King
On a balmy day of spring
And said he, Tis I of the Host
He who deserves the Sich most

Tis I, Serlo the Great
The master of the south, no debate
We never leave our mount
Our bravery is without count

We rode to find the Pope
And found him without Hope
So here we are, the heroes of the land
We who come from the meadowland!

Voices cheered at the end of the song. Serlo smiled, the simple tune was a kind one. "Thank you kind wanderer. Please, enjoy our bread and wine," Serlo said. The minstrel smiled and nodded, and then joined the crowd with his equipment. The Sich smiled, his reputation was expanding, to already have songs about him was impressive, though his King might become suspicious. But this quick distraction ended as the roar of the crowd returned... Taurica remained just out of his reach, an insect that escapes through the cracks of a man's fingers.

A revolt, maybe? He thought, it would be hard to do at such short notice, but to justify his own moving in? That would be hard. The Turks, if only he could get them to attack Taurica, then he'd have no choice but to move in with his own forces. But lives were at stake... women and children. Serlo sighed, his target of Taurica remained elusive. For now it would have to remain just that, a target. It was painful but necessary, his dream of a united Sich was just out of reach for now, and so it would remain. This saddened him, very much, his vision just beyond his grasp. If only he was S'vester's son, his rightful heir, so that he could just receive it at the death of the aging Prince. His eyes widened, could it be proved? S'vester had no children of his own... it was with this thought that Serlo commanded himself to sleep.

January 4th, 1231

Karnak woke with a strange worry in Memelgrád. Here he was, King of Prussia, but he felt somewhat under respected now that a far-off and inbred Saxon line controlled the Roman Empire. It was a strange feeling, jealousy, especially for a man of Karnak's disposition and place in society. He felt lowly, like a measly pagan chief ruling and dirty and run-down society instead of the glory of the Roman Empire. Peering around in the darkness he saw nothing, it was dark. Next to him Isabelle stirred, "Is it morning already?"

"No, my love, just faeries in my head. Go back to sleep," Karnak said softly. It was a terrible feeling. He had little to do but try to keep the three Kingdoms together. Like the Kings of old, he wanted to build something, something to be remembered by. He wanted to travel. So far in his life, he had seen very little of his own Kingdom. He and Isabelle would have to begin a tour of the Kingdom, which would include all the major cities and regions. He lay his head back down on his pillow. He looked at the ceiling briefly before closing his eyes again. Outside the walls of the palace, Memelgrád was beginning to stir. What would have been far too early for a King was the perfect time for the fishermen to begin to return with their goods. And from afar merchant ships approached the harbour from all directions.

The Kingdom began to stir from the bottom up as the peasants began to wake up. A new day was upon them all and much had to be done, even in the cold winter months. In the country things were quieter than in the city and a blanket of snow kept Prussia wrapped in a slumber, a slumber which was only partially shaken off during the bright hours of the day. In the Sich the snow was lighter. West of the Sich, in Mocárgrád, the great second port of the Kingdom dealt with trade from Rome and the Mediterranean. It was a sleepy period for Prussia. Her King was fresh and young and unsure of what to do next, so things went about as if no captain stood and her helm. Silently she slipped into the doldrums.

Emperor of Prussia has no Imperial Winterpalace on the coast of Black Sea?:rolleyes::p
Drat, who told you the next update, dammit?! :p

Great update, but Enewald put up a good question, plus Serlo can't attack hte Byzantine Empire... unless his ruler wanted the same title!
Yes, but it is Serlo's hope that he can prove that he is S'vester's heir so that he can get his hands on Taurica without a war.

Part 3 was epic.
Thanks! :D

I am back from Ohio, where I ran up to renew my driver's license and check out Dayton AF Museum. Update time!

Homelands
Part 5

Prelude:
Between 1231 and 1240, King Karnak went on a building spree across his three Kingdoms. Unlike Sviendorog's plan to build inns and watch towers to improve communication and trade, Karnak's building was more about ego. Across the nations he had nine magnificent palaces built in his honor. Most were centered about Memelgrád and the remains of the Principality of Prussia. The first was the largest of the nine, the palace at Keæv, meant as a autumn palace. The winter palace, at Mocárgrád was the second one to be built. Each palace was build in a different style and on land owned by the King. In some cases Karnak had to get the land from nobles, churches or even peasants. For Bohemia it meant that the Imperial capital moved from Prague to Flæmshgrád, though the local capital remained in place. But his reign was not all easy, in the south his vassal Serlo Dormandy was going about conquering Taurica from Rome using dubious legal means. This was causing Karnak to have many a sleepless night. Tensions with the new dynasty were racial and historical in nature, but now it was becoming political as well. Karnak was quick to want to end the issue without resorting to war or the removal of his favorite amongst his vassals.

karnakpalace.png

The locations of Karnak's nine palaces.

February 6th, 1235

It was a rare meeting of monarchs in Mocárgrád. King Karnak áv Hwike, Sich Serlo Dormandy, Prince S'vester Windor, and Emperor Sigeric Hwicce. They were in the winter palace, some of which was still under construction. It was the first time that Karnak had ever even met Sigeric. S'vester was getting old, especially for a ruler on the frontier, so he seemed uninterested in the events around him. Childless, wifeless, the man was a eunuch from a young age after an accident in training. Serlo was his cousin, and though there were people of closer blood, there were few of such prestige. But there-in lie the problem, Prussia's inheritance system based on ability versus Rome's inheritance system based on birth right.

"This is absurd, you are trying to take sovereign Roman soil and hand it over to some damned barbarian!" Sigeric shouted. Karnak and Serlo looked at each other from across the seating arrangement.

"That land is hardly part of the Roman Empire," Karnak started, "There are no Romans there, it is a pathetic little colony that remains completely unattached from the main land!"

"If it is so pathetic why is it so damned important that it falls in Prussian hands?!"

"Because it is part of the Sich." Serlo answered.

"Who asked you?" Sigeric shouted.

"You did, your majesty. Taurica is Azowian territory, it belongs with the rest of Zaporozhia, with me. And as the best candidate for S'vester's succession under Prussian and Azowian law, it will eventually fall under my control," Serlo said calmly and quietly. He looked Sigeric in the face and did not waiver as he spoke these words.

"No, Roman territories follow Roman law! His brother shall inherit the realm, I shall see to that!"

"Heh, my brother... I don't think so, your majesty, you have never met my brother... but I would also say that you have never met any of your subjects outside of Constantinople..." S'vester quipped, "The Sich is different than the City. We are constantly under fire from Turks and pagans and we need a ruler who not only near-by, but also one of our kin... we are not Prussians, and we are certainly not Romans."

"The Azowian people will only listen to an Azowian, and more over... they will only listen to a proven commander and leader, such as myself," Serlo said.

"Rome has bigger issues, you are not a popular heir yourself, Sigeric. Don't you have bigger fish to tend to in your nets? Like the Komnenids and their revolt in Asia Minor?" Karnak asked, a large smirk on his face. He knew he had struck a chord with the Saxon in Roman robes.

"Why, cousin, do you defend this peasant?" Sigeric asked, almost mockingly.

"I am no peasant, maybe you've heard of my pedigree?" Serlo asked.

"Dormandy does not ring a bell."

"How about de Normandie?" Serlo asked, lowering his brow and glaring. He clasped his hands together and left his index fingers pointing upwards along the bridge of his nose. "I assume you've heard of them."

Sigeric's face whitened as the blood drained in embarrassment. "Still, my point stands... once Roman lands, always Roman lands."

"You might want to remind those damned Italians then," Karnak laughed. Sigeric scowled, he was not here to be made fun of.

"That's it, do you want a war, cousin?! I'll give you one if that is what you want! I am not to be mocked like some damned child! So laugh one more time! One more damned chuckle! Then face the wrath of Rome!"

The room grew silent, Sigeric threw his glare around to the different faces, proud of his success. Serlo was the first to look back up. His face was not of shame or smallness, it was of defiance, "Then bring war, Emperor of Rome, bring war and I shall send your men back to you. You bring the war, I shall bring you the carnage. You bring war, I shall make it into victory. Threats, your majesty, that's all your war is... a threat. So, are you sure enough of your rule? Your men? Your claims? Your nation? I shall reply to your war. Just we... just the Azowians. Let us show you our mettle!" He was now standing, his face in the face of the Emperor, his smile ear to ear. S'vester was moved enough that a single tear was in his eye. The Sich stood up all the way, a whole head taller than Sigeric, "Azowians do not fear war! We enjoy it! We live by it!"

Karnak's eyes opened wide, he could not believe what he was seeing. Nor could Sigeric, even Serlo seemed slightly surprised. Sigeric shook briefly, then spitting, "Fine! Have the damned lands... I don't care anymore!" His face turned a bright red, but everyone else light out a sigh of relief. Serlo, however, looked let down, he wanted a fight... but his King did not. It had been a huge risk, and probably ruined Roman-Prussian relations for years. Sigeric quickly left, his servants in close pursuit.

Karnak, his face now serious turned to Serlo, but the Sich responded first, "I am sorry, your majesty. I forgot my place." His voice was honest and Karnak heard that.

The King nodded and placed a hand on Serlo's back. "I enjoyed it," he said after a few moment's thought, "It had to be done."

"Very well, King of Prussia."

314px-Alexander_Nevsky_2.jpg

Serlo Dormandy, Sich of Zaporozhia.

Last edited:
I know the the Komnenoi lost the revolt, but I wish they could win. They are kickass.

In other news, Serlo is probably the best Cossack ever. Make him the first Azowian saint- Saint Serlo the Great, Patron Saint of the Sich!

Last edited:
I know the the Komnenoi lost the revolt, but I wish they could win. They are kickass.

In other news, Serlo is probably the best Cossack ever. Make him the first Azowian saint- Saint Serlo the Great, Patron Saint of the Sich!
The Saxons get better, one must remember that Sigeric was an unknown nobody picked out of a small estate in Poland... so his life went through a big change.

Serlo is pretty badass. I'm proud of myself I introduced him, and glad that I gave him the spotlight. I am starting to think of stuff to make up so that I can write more about him. I've even honestly thought of giving him a book... but that would be a pinch.

I am going to translate this quote of his:
Then bring war, Emperor of Rome, bring war and I shall send your men back to you. You bring the war, I shall bring you the carnage. You bring war, I shall make it into victory. Threats, your majesty, that's all your war is... a threat. So, are you sure enough of your rule? Your men? Your claims? Your nation? I shall reply to your war. Just us... just the Azowians. Let us show you our mettle! Azowians do not fear war! We enjoy it! We live by it!
into Prussian, mostly because I don't have Middle English + Ruthenian figured out.

Where else be the Hwicces ruling then Rhomaioin and Prussia plus their dominions?
Right now the Hwicces just rule Prussia and Rome plus a few Principalities and Counties in Prussia.

Hmmm... I smell a possible marriage between Dormandies and Leofricsons. And yes. I'm going to use Leofricson instead of the name that will not be spoken.
Your nose would be on track, however, it is a while away.

Serlo's speech as it would have been spoken:

thon atnæstáp kárs, kieser áv románjá, atnæstáp kárs un æs zoildáj thins kalps bæk uz thum azsutæt. tháó atnæstáp se kárs, æs zoildáj se asinspirts uz euw azsutæt. tháó atnæstáp kárs, æs zoildáj hime notó uzváru manitit. dráódes, thins májæste, tas ist thins kárs ál... ien dráóde. swá seæp tháó uv thins spegá gænugn dross? thins kalpæs? thins prásibás? thins já? we zoildáju uz thins kárs atbildæt. ær we... ær se asowæn. lætt usó thum urins diektávárdis parádæt! asowæn baditán næ kárs! we naotáju hime! we lebáju hime ár!

Some of my best friends are Jewish

Homelands
Part 6

Prelude:
Karnak's interest in his own palaces made him unpopular amongst the peasant classes who felt slighted. The Royal treasury was mostly empty by this time, though a year of tight spending would undo that. Karnak levied taxes against the peasants and especially against the emerging middle class guildsmen and merchants while decreasing taxes levied against the nobility and even abolishing the tax on church lands. The feudal system in Prussia was at its heyday under Karnak, noble rights were the center of law in the Kingdom and each major Principality was a semi-autonomous nation suspended in a Prussian federation. Trade suffered slightly as nobles waged tax wars on one another and commanded river fees from all ships, including Royal ones. In Sámbigrád peasants revolted when it became known that a tenth palace was meant to be built on the spot occupied by the main housing district. It was also the first time in Prussian history that the Jews would be formally persecuted. Poland especially had a close history with the Jews, and one of tolerance. Prussia under rulers such as Gunvald and Sviendorog paid little attention to the Jews, treating them as subjects and taxing them accordingly. Under the religious Meinekinus the Jews were segregated into shtetls and ghettos, though retained all other rights. Karnak feared that the Jews were working for the Caliph in Toledo (Christians at the time often assumed incorrectly that Jews had full rights in the Caliph). Under this assumption he removed their rights forcing them to take so-called 'lowly' professions such as bankers and accountants. This led to the bloody 1235 Jewish Riot in Danzig, which was only a few weeks after the August Food Riots.

JewishCresent.png

The so-called Jewish Crescent, the region in Poland with relatively high numbers of Jewish citizens.

August 12th, 1235

King Karnak sat in a mobile throne as he joined his guard on a patrol of Danzig. He was surrounded by the local Count and his court. The riots had finally been suppressed only a week before and now it was declared safe enough for the King. But from the ruins of stores and homes angry eyes glared out at the King. He could feel the hatred that was simmering just underneath the surface. He could feel it, but ignored it anyways; as one would ignore an itch. How could these Christians be siding with the enemy? Outside of his carriage the people tried to go about their daily lives. The shuffled from their burnt homes to their burnt shops all while being watched by armed knights of the realm. The city was a bleak, rainy piece of hell.

As they saw Karnak go past, the peasants began to line up outside of their homes and watched. It was not like in Memelgrád with cheering and awe, instead it was a cold, hard glare on everyone's face. A knight went around with a stick and hit the back of people's knees to make them kneel before the King. Karnak turned to his companions, "I want out of here, I cannot take much more of this misery."

"I am sorry my liege, we shall speed up. Driver? Driver, will you speed up?" the city's mayor asked politely. The driver nodded, slightly, as if he heard the request but took it more as a suggestion and not an order. The cart only moderately sped up, and slowly returned to its normal pace. The crowd was beginning to amass. A throng of people began to form around the carriage and began shouting out in archaic Wendish. The knights ran over to the area and beat people back, keeping them away from the carriage. Karnak was becoming worried, things were in motion. From his right a flash, a yell, and a knife from the crowd appeared, carried by a Wend. Karnak yelled, but the man was struck down by a crushing blow from a long sword. The knife fell out of his hand and into Karnak's lap.

assass.png

A 1600's depiction of the attempted assassination of King Karnak. Note that he is once again incorrectly portrayed as having a beard and wearing 1600's clothing.

"Move, driver!" Karnak yelled, but the man didn't respond. "Get him out of here!" the King shouted to a knight, who nodded and pulled the driver off of the carriage. The knights surrounded the carriage closely, keeping people at bay. Eventually one of them climbed on and whipped the horses into action. Soon they were storming out of Danzig and back into safer territory. It had all been a blur for Karnak, but he was now coming to understand the level of conspiracy involved in what just happened.

They came to a stop three leagues out of Danzig at a Royal watchtower that sat along the Baltic coast. Once safe inside, Karnak turned to the men around him and asked, "Where is the driver?"

"Um... we left him in Danzig with the others, he was probably in on it, your majesty."

"I know that, that is why I want to make sure we know where he is!"

"What is important now is that he doesn't know where you are... and for that reason we are going to summon a ship to take you back to Memelgrád," the commander of the watchtower said. He looked very concerned, "Sir, we must be careful, another riot is likely in Danzig in the next few days. If we are not careful a lot of people could be killed."

"Fine, a bunch of traitors! I'll send my forces in, then they will see the extent of my power." Karnak took a deep breath, he calmed himself. "It is those damned Jews."

"My lord? The Jews?" The commander asked, "W... They have been an important part of Poland for a long time, I doubt it could have been uh... them." He quieted and then looked at the floor. The room fell silent.

"Who then?" The captain of the guard asked.

"The peasants are suffering under these taxes," the commander, "They haven't the money for food or shelter."

"It is true, your majesty, that man who tried to stab you was not speaking Polish or Hebrew, it was Pomeranian... that isn't a Jewish tongue," one knight said.

"Men can be bought," Karnak began, "Now what about this ship?"

"It is outside, we are stocking it up..." the commander began, but he was interrupted.

"The journey to Memelgrád is only a few hours by ship. Stocking it for what? Let us get the King out of here," the captain said. He placed a firm hand on Karnak's back and led the King out of the watchtower and down toward the docks.

The commander and the other guards looked at each other, glum faces filled the room. "I am sorry Arieh," one soldier said. The commander nodded and paced around.

"It is okay, he didn't know... he doesn't know," Arieh said. He sat down at his place at the commander's desk and sunk his face into his hands.

"Don't worry, commander, we'll make sure you and your family stay safe!" another soldier said. His promise was met with agreement from the others as they moved toward their commander. Arieh tried to smile, his men were good men, kind at heart and true of word. "Anyways, your shift is over, would you like someone to take you home?"

"No, I should be good. Plus I don't want to alarm my wife any, not with the kids around anyways," Arieh said.

"Okay, well... take care of yourself. And if things get bad... bring your family and friends... we can keep a few safe here at the barracks."

"Thanks, boys." Arieh headed out of the tower and toward the stables. Out in the distance he could see the ship with the King on it. They were in the process of raising the banner over her sails and he could see that her sails were full of wind. She'd be safe soon. Arieh smiled and looked at the reins in his hands. He had to get home quick. He knew it would be one of the last days of peace he would have in his life. He should try to enjoy it.

End Chapter Twenty Four

Last edited:
How many percentage of the Prussian population are jews?

Holy crap!! Your post actually managed to scare me! Damned that was quick. :wacko:

Anyways, I would say that in the non-blue areas the percentage is between 0 and 1 percent of the population, but in the blue probably closer to 5 to 10. I cannot find any sources (quickly) on the subject matter. But I assume Poland would have its historical numbers, though concentrated more west then east.

Holy crap!! Your post actually managed to scare me! Damned that was quick. :wacko:

Anyways, I would say that in the non-blue areas the percentage is between 0 and 1 percent of the population, but in the blue probably closer to 5 to 10. I cannot find any sources (quickly) on the subject matter. But I assume Poland would have its historical numbers, though concentrated more west then east.

I tend to be swift with reading updates. :rofl: