• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
You're the one acting hweird.

One question.

Hwy are there Norman provs, Saxon provs, and ENGLISH provs?

Unless htose norman drops represent a place inhabited by norman nobles etc. Or people that didn't like saxons at all.

Norman provs represent areas of true Norman settlement due to refugees fleeing the Caliph. These people were unlikely to become English. Saxon represents the northern regions where direct rule from London was shaky. It also represents where the Saxon culture remained pure-ish with minor Russian influence. English provinces represent the mixture of Norman, Saxon and Russian cultures.

A real update for a change

Homelands
Chapter Twenty Four: Call to War
Part 2

Prelude:
Serlo Dormandy and his Azowian riders were granted permission to deal with the Alanian threat on their own. Karnak was busy trying to assert his authority throughout Prussia and did not want to have to deal with a petty border dispute at this time. In traditional Azowian style the riders wrote to the Chief of Alania before their invasion, mocking his pedigree and claiming that any number of them might be his actual father given his mother's status as "the village horse." Serlo's tactic worked, the Chief, so blind with rage, met them it battle without so much as thinking about making a plan first. With little effort the Azowians were able to overrun much of Alania, sacking and pillaging as had been done to their own lands. In the capital they were able to dance and make merriment in the Chief's own bedroom. Serlo claimed the Chief's eldest daughter for himself, a sign of his ultimate victory over the tribe. With the permission of Karnak he added their entire region to his own personal fief and began to fortify the region with walls and watch towers in order to defend from the threats of the Bolgars and other pagan tribes that lie in the East. Along with expanding his own personal power and wealth, Serlo managed to secure an interesting treaty with Karnak, as professional soldiers and cavalry men. In 1226, Serlo Dormandy was one of the most powerful men in the Kingdom.

Repin_Cossacks_1893_version.jpg

Serlo and his Azowians write to the Chief of the Alania.

October 31st, 1226

Serlo sat on his own throne in Kán, named after a far-off city in his ancestor's homeland. Next to him was his silent wife, an Alanian princess, now nothing more than a plaything. Serlo's real wife was a harem member, a beautiful woman from Taurica, a member of his own caste and race. She had already given him three children, his Alanian whore; none. It was All Saint's Eve, a superstitious night that many had come to fear, especially in this new land. It was also, as Hyg had planned, the day taxes and fealty was due from the various Chiefs. So they lined up outside of the throne room, each one with their banner and a column of loyal minions to carry their taxes in the form of gold and animals and other goods.

"Vet!" shouted one large Chief, Oleksander by name. He placed his clenched right fist over his heart and bowed slightly, "To you, my lord, I bring the finest bear pelts from the forests of Mordvia! Show our good lord and master," he said to his slave. The slave opened the chests, revealing some forty pelts.

"These are beautiful and I accept them, my good friend," Serlo said, "But they are far more than you owe me."

"Ah, but my lord, my knees feel a terrible winter is upon us, and this I do pass on to you!"

"Thank you, and I thank your knees as well." Serlo placed his right fist on his heart and Oleksander turned and left from the line. The next chief came up, a Cuman by blood, but a Azowian by heart, Koza by name.

"Vet, Prince!" he said with a drunken smile on his face. His cheeks were red and his eyes glistened with a happy level of alcohol. "For you I bring these six casks of the finest mead of the north! Made from the honey of the King's bees!"

"I accept them, as it is obvious from your face that they taste fine indeed!" The two men saluted each other and Koza left the line.

Behind Koza was Drogo, Serlo's younger brother. Serlo tensed up as he was unsure of what Drogo would do. "Vet! Brother!" Drogo said, his salute weak and heartless, "I have brought to you my taxes in the form of gold looted from the homes of our enemies. Thirty pounds, as required." Drogo kicked open a large chest to present the finery.

Gold in Azowian culture was a thoughtless gift. Chiefs trying to impress the Prince would try to come up with unique and thoughtful gifts often in quantities far above what was asked for. By doing this they gained attention and would hopefully be chosen to represent the Prince abroad or even lead his armies in raids. And a thoughtful gift could sometimes compensate a lower value in payment. It also was proof of loyalty, so those who brought thoughtful gifts did not have to directly renew their sworn fealty. Drogo gave his brother gold to show he didn't respect him. The hall became quiet as people waited for a fight to break out.

"Brother, come forth and prove your fealty," Serlo said, holding his hand and ring forth. Drogo paused, internally debating his options. He stepped forward and kissed his brother's hand.

"I do swear by my father's name to uphold the right of the Prince, granted to him by God and our lord and master, the King of Prussia, his majesty Karnak. And to serve valiantly in the face of danger to defend my home and family. Amen."

"I accept your fealty, brother, but I urge you to leave before I reconsider," Serlo said. Drogo nodded, defeat lingering above his head. Serlo got through the rest of his vassals and knights and then retired to speak only to his most loyal of men. They gathered around a table and shared some of the mead brought by Koza.

"My friends, I am uncertain of Drogo's usefulness in this life. Today's stunt proves that not only has treason crossed his mind, but it was crossing his mind still as he stood in front of me. I cannot have this. We need to keep tabs on him." Everyone at the table nodded but no answers or ideas came forth, no one wanted to say the obvious answer. "Well?" Serlo asked, prompting some end to the silence.

"We could... you know... kill him," one man answered. His suggestion was accompanied by a slashing motion to his own throat.

"Yeah, problem solved. No one will complain, they all saw how he acted here. And his majesty basically lets us act as an independent state so long as your taxes are paid by New Years. So, it is not like he is going to know..." another said, defending the iffy legal questions.

Serlo nodded solemnly, "Hunting accident?"

"Drowning in the Volga... it is All Saint's Eve after all..." suggested the first man.

"Death in his sleep would be too sudden... I agree with him... we can ride hard and catch up with him and make sure he goes for a swim in the river," agreed the second man.

Serlo looked to the other's faces, "Anyone have an issue with drowning then?" He waited fully half a minute in dead silence. "Drowning it is." He took out a small piece of paper and marked it first with Drogo's full name and pedigree, then a black dot, then the names of the men around him, then he signed it and marked it with his seal. A death sentence. The only rule was that Drogo would have to see it before he died. Nothing else mattered. Even if his only glimpse of it was as life faded from his eyes, as long as he saw it, it was legal in Azowian law. Then his fief would be Serlo's, bringing more power to the Prince. His plans were beyond just his tiny little realm, with Royal support he planned to ensure the safety of Azow.

How many men can Azow mobilize?
Game-wise, probably about 8,000 to 9,000 if you were to call up them all up. Real life I would say about half that. CK armies always come off as rather huge to me.

Serlo is a son of Hyg, yes?

Apart from that, bloody awesome alternative-timeline cossacks.
Yes, Serlo is a son of Hyg, as is Drogo.

Cossacks! they are a ruthless bunch eh? wonder how the Throne's gonna see it.
Well, they were usefull. ;)

Man, your Azowians are fascinating! I'd say even more interesting than real Cossacks.

I love how Serlo is always looking to expand his power, yet he at no point puts himself above his people, nor does he question his place in the heirarchy of the Empire! What a great character.:D

Man, your Azowians are fascinating! I'd say even more interesting than real Cossacks.

I love how Serlo is always looking to expand his power, yet he at no point puts himself above his people, nor does he question his place in the heirarchy of the Empire! What a great character.:D
I agree, the more I can flesh them out the better! I'll keep Serlo and his men the focus of the next few updates then.

I think Serlo will get to much power and look to break from the Prussian Empire
Anyway another fine update, keep them coming and Happy Xmas
Nollaig shona!

Homelands
Chapter Twenty Four: Call to War
Part 3

Prelude:
Marriages in medieval Europe led to more than just forgotten sons and daughters running around causing havoc. Sometimes it led to a transfer of power between families in surprising ways. In 1227 Sigeric of Hwicce, the son of Aethelmaer of Hwicce, the son of Osric of Hwicce, the son of Eadbert King of Prussia, became the Emperor of the Roman Empire and the head of the First House of Hwicce-Palaelogus. His coronation took place in Constantinople and attracted diplomats from around Europe, including both Muslims and Christians. It was during this distraction that Serlo made his bid to become the sole Prince of the Azowians. After the Norman settling of the region there were four Azowian Princes: Azow, Taurica, Crimea and Wolga. Of the four three were vassals of the Prussian King, one (the Prince of Taurica) was a vassal of the Roman Emperor. In 1226 Serlo upset the balance by invading and annexing Alania. Now he had twice as much land and manpower as the others. But he also had Royal favor. Serlo was content with ruling all the Princedoms, but not of overthrowing Karnak or the Kingdom. Instead, Karnak was taken in by the romantic image of life as a Cossack. He trusted Serlo to defend the border and promoted him to the rank of "Sich" (a corruption of a Ruthenian word mean to "chop" but referring to the borders of different feudal entities). This meant Serlo was the senior ranking Prince and the envy of his neighbors.

May 12th, 1227

Four men met in Taurica, known as a middle-ground to the Azowians. Serlo Dormandy, Sich of Zaporozhia; S'vester Windor, Prince of Taurica; Villim Decomins, Prince of Wolga; and Simon Plantegenat, Prince of Crimea. The four men sat alone at a table, wearing only a loincloth to prove they were unarmed. Simon was the youngest at 16, S'vester the oldest at 40. Serlo was in the middle, not quite twenty years of age at the time. "This is horse shit, Serlo! A breaking of tradition!" Villim said. He glared across the table at Serlo who instead just smirked.

Zaporozhia.png

The Azowian Princes: Azow in Blue, Crimea in Green, Taurica in Purple, Wolga in Gold.

"Bah! You are just mad because I beat you too it. Your family thought that they were getting rid of Dormandies by giving us Azow, the border Mark, now who is laughing?!" Serlo said.

"We want you to turn down the title Sich! We should be allowed to elect our Sich ourselves, the King be damned!" Simon said, "What you say to that you damned Dormandy?!"

Serlo nodded, his mind at work, "I can agree... on one condition..."

Everyone took a deep breath, but S'vester asked, "And what is your condition?"

"We should settle this as Azowians, in battle! What do you say to that, brothers?!" The other three looked at each other, but Serlo continued, "And no scheming, each has two months to call up an army of their own soldiers, tried and true Azowian sons and lead them to the fort at Zaporozhia where we shall lead our soldiers into the fight in the field to the south. Winner gets the title Sich."

"I agree!" Simon shouted. His region was the second richest, and its border on Prussia proper meant it was easy to get mercenaries.

"Okay, but no mercs Simon... only fresh sons of Azowia," Serlo said. Simon sweated a little but remained firm to his agreement.

"I am ineligible anyways, so I won't bother," S'vester said looking then toward Villim who was now the center of attention.

"I am out, Wolga is too poor and we still have to deal with Mordvia." Villim sat back to watch Serlo's reaction. Serlo's face remained calm and collected, they were playing into his hand, simple as that.

"Then it is settled, gentlemen, we'll all meet up again in Zaporozhia with our Hosts," Serlo said. He stood up and dismissed himself, it was a dangerous gamble, but one that was necessary to guarantee his standing with the King and with his Host, especially after Drogo's tragic drowning. "I will see you in two month's time, then."

Outside Oleksander waited for his Prince when Serlo stepped out, the large cossack handed him his shirt, "Vet. Did everything go as planned, Sich?"

"Yes, Oleksander, lambs to slaughter, lambs to slaughter. Now, we ride hard back home... in two months I shall be confirmed Sich of the Cossacks, and Simon's realm shall be part of my own."

July 14th, 1227

"You are late, Simon Windor," Serlo said as the sun set behind him. "At this hour we shall have to wait until tomorrow to continue our deal. That is two months and three days; you should have paid attention to when the monks taught you to count."

"Sorry, Serlo, I missed those lessons to spend fifteen minutes longer on a horse." Serlo shrugged and the insult.

"So how many men did you find brave enough to come here?" Serlo asked.

"Six hundred! How about you, old man?"

"I am not saying. Just because you are stupid enough to tell your enemy your numbers doesn't mean I am," Serlo said. Behind him Oleksander chuckled. He patted Serlo on the shoulder in support and then made a scary at Simon.

"Who is he?"

"My lieutenant, Oleksander, he carries my standard into tomorrow's battle."

"Good, I'll know where to find it then," Simon said as a last laugh before leaving. Oleksander chuckled lowly.

"Not likely, Sich."

The next day, with the sun young in the sky, Simon's six hundred faced off with Serlo's two hundred crack veterans. Simon almost laughed, but far away a trumpet blew and he saw Serlo's horse leap forward in front of his men. The majestic brown stallion bounded forward with Serlo yelling his war cry, and then when he was about twenty feet a head the rest of his Host added their voices to the cry and the all began to charge forward. Oleksander was thirty feet to Serlo's right, carrying a massive red banner. Simon's Cossacks laughed, but their laughter was brief as they were green soldiers, and numbers only meant so much.

Zapor.jpg

Serlo's Gamble, a painting from the XVII Century depicting Serlo's charge against Simon.

"Men of Crimea charge!" Simon shouted, he tried to mirror Serlo, but his own bravery was waivering. The story of the battle outside of Zaporozhia was one that would be told for centuries. But for Simon's descendents it was a sad, sad story. A day of defeat. For that day Serlo proved, once again, his might and power in battle.

I am starting to become very attached to this Serlo. He is a legitimately cool guy. He grabs power by the reigns and controls it quite well.
I'll admit I did that whole update because I found that picture of the Cossacks charging on wiki.

I think Serlo will get to much power and look to break from the Prussian Empire
Anyway another fine update, keep them coming and Happy Xmas
Nollaig shona!
Thanks, enjoying my time to curl up with a beautiful girl and a hot chocolate with Bailey's.

Last edited: