• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
A tear would come to his eye.

Or some lovely combination of curse words and anatomy to his tongue. :p

I think we can agree on one thing--there'd be some jealousy in his heart too! :D

EDIT- and congratulations on 34,000 views, Mr. Capiatlist!

Thanks!

Regarding Anglo-Baltic vs Prusso-Saxon: it is all semantics, really. The best way of thinking of it is that the Anglo-Saxons won, so Anglo gets to go first. Generally, I believe that certain phrases (Anglo and Franco come to mind) get to always go first, or it could be alphabetical.

I can actually only say about in french for sure, but you can have "anglo-française" (anglo-french) or "franco-anglaise" (franco-english), when talking about country relations. The first would be the relations of England with France, the second France with England... When talking about a war, i believe the attacker is always set first.

In the case for "anglo-saxon", i beleive it comes from the name given by a VIIth century monk : Gens Anglorum sive Saxorum. The order was kept as such.

If only Charlamagne could see the Western Caliphate...

A tear would come to his eye.

Or some lovely combination of curse words and anatomy to his tongue. :p

I think we can agree on one thing--there'd be some jealousy in his heart too! :D

EDIT- and congratulations on 34,000 views, Mr. Capiatlist!
Yeah, he probably wouldn't approve, especially of the Christians' willingness to convert to Islam to remain in power.

Thanks! Now for 34,000 more!

I can actually only say about in french for sure, but you can have "anglo-française" (anglo-french) or "franco-anglaise" (franco-english), when talking about country relations. The first would be the relations of England with France, the second France with England... When talking about a war, i believe the attacker is always set first.

In the case for "anglo-saxon", i beleive it comes from the name given by a VIIth century monk : Gens Anglorum sive Saxorum. The order was kept as such.
And seeing as the anglo first order was kept with Anglo-Norman, I believe I am on sound ground with my ordering.

Homelands
Chapter Twenty Three: Asses to Ashes
Part 3

Prelude:
The death of King Dzintis the Mad was a welcome relief to Christian Europe. His son, now seventeen years old, retook the throne of Hungary as well as that of Bohemia. Karnak of Hungary styled himself King of Hungary over that of King of Bohemia. He said that it was his original title and therefore superseded Bohemia. Even so, after his ascent to the throne of Prussia, his titles were rearranged so that Bohemia came before Hungary (though both after Prussia). Karnak's return to Pressburg was cause of celebration. He was seen as legitimate and fair, ending the oppressive taxes of his father as well as the inquisitions. A scene of him freeing some 500 Catholics from a dungeon in Pressburg became a stable stained glass window in Hungary's churches. Strangely enough he is almost always portrayed with a beard and blonde hair despite always being clean shaven and dark haired (like most Prussian royalty). Many believe this reflects him as a "man of the north", a foreigner, to the Magyar people. Others believe that it was meant to show him as pure as a child (blonde hair) but strong and manly (beard). The real reason is probably that most of the scenes and paintings containing him that survived to the modern day were made hundreds of years after his death and based on the stereotypical image of a King.

Karnak-1.jpg

A painting of King Karnak of Hungary, painted circa 1430.

May 8th, 1223

Karnak led a parade some three miles long back into Pressburg. With him were guards and minstrels and the ladies that tended his wife's callings. People lined the streets to see the return of their old King. In the few years Karnak had been gone he had changed not only physically, but also mentally. He was now a mature man, fit to rule on his own. From horseback he waved idly to his people, smiling as his grandfather often did. From the young King radiated hope and the people flocked to it. They cheered his name, reached out hoping to be touched by his blessed hand.

Looming above him was Pressburg Castle, the place of his father's death. He remembered it from his childhood, but he remembered it as tall and spiked, always covered by clouds and a magnet for rain. Today it was a totally different place, bright and happy. Birds flocked to its lush trees and chirped with glee. This was a world totally unknown to him. He was free from the shadow of his father. He turned to Isabelle and saw her shyly waving to the peasants. She covered most of her face out of modesty and seemed to enjoy the attention, but rejected it at the same time.

"Smile!" he said to her with his own grin, "These people love you!" He reached out to touch her, but his horse sped up slightly. Karnak laughed, it was probably for the best, he knew Isabella was always uncomfortable in public settings. She did smile at him, but quickly returned her gaze toward her saddle, trying not to appear like anything more than a dutiful wife. The parade began to pull away from the streets and the cheering public and toward the gates of the castle. As Karnak rode past the first set of guards they stood at attention and saluted him. He saluted back, nodding his head to them as he finally passed. Home, he was finally home. He would miss his grandfather, but the time had come, he could right the wrongs and protect the weak as was his scared vow. He nodded to himself, trying to look serious as he entered the castle once again. His time was now, he promised himself to treat each day with the same precautions and carefulness.

"Welcome my lord and lady." The guards said as the horses came to a stop. He held out his hand and took hold of the reigns and helped Karnak down. "We have taken the liberty to prepare dinner already as you must be famished after your long journey from Memelgrád."

"Thank you, we are," Karnak said. He walked over to Isabelle and helped her down himself. She smiled at him and slipped down carefully landing close to him. She stretched her neck slightly and pecked him once on the cheek before falling in behind him with the guards and other people of their posse. The doormen opened the door and bowed allowing the King and Queen to pass through into their castle. Inside, Karnak saw that things had drastically changed since he was there. The rooms were well lit, and color splashed out across the walls and furniture. The dank mildew smell of his childhood was gone, and the cold air was now a warm, omnipresent feeling.

"It is beautiful," the King said, "This is not the place I ruled from as a child. Amazing!"

"Dinner is ready, if you are my lord," The head of staff said.

"I am," Karnak said. The head led them to another room, deeper in the building. Inside was a massive table and at the head, behind Karnak's chair, was a large hearth, the source of much of the warmth in the surrounding environs. Karnak stood as his guests sat, and then sat down himself to start the dinner conversations.

"So, my lord, where do you think the biggest threat to Hungary lies?" one noble asked, curiously.

"From within it is religion, so we must relax my father's policies as soon as we can. From without it is the Emirate of Bosnia. They seem ready to conquer all of Croatia and then where will they turn? They have three choices... First they can move North into Germany and join the others in carving away the Empire, second they can move East into Hungary and attack our weak underbelly, or lastly they can head south into the Roman Empire."

"And you think they will attack us? With your grandfather protecting us?"

"I do. I believe that skirmishes like this would be probes into the body of Prussia. Rome is too strong, and isn't really a target for the Caliph so far from Asia. Germany is the main target, but Bosnia isn't really in the Balkans to be invading Germany."

Balkans.png

The Balkans in 1223. Hungary in Grey, Prussia in Dark Red, Rome in Purple, Germany in Olive, the Caliph in Light Green, Bosnia in Green, Shiite Naples in Dark Green, Croatia in Blue, Serbia (a tributary of Rome) in Magenta.
"So you say that Bosnia was set up as a place holder in order for the Caliph to being trying to start a war between itself and Prussia?!"

"Yes, that is what I have said," Karnak said quietly, taking a sip of mead from a golden goblet. Everyone in the room took a deep breath and nervous glances were exchanged. It was a small attack of panic, Islam was at the doorstep of Prussia.

"So what are we going to do about it, my lord?!"

"Right now? Nothing. I could be wrong, and I am not going to work my grandfather into a frenzy if I am wrong. So I shall let Croatia and Serbia fall to Bosnia... if Bosnia attacks them. If Bosnia doesn't attack them, I was wrong. If it does and it loses, I was right, and now we have time to secure Croatia and Serbia to prevent another invasion. If Bosnia attacks them and wins, we would have seen it coming so we can prepare before they can attack Hungary."

"It seems very risky, should you not warn your grandfather?"

"I believe that my grandfather sees it too. And you must remember, I am no vassal, I am a King in my own right. I shall guide Hungary as I see fit." Karnak never raised his voice; it remain solid, but friendly. People found strength in his confidence.

"Well then," the head of staff said after a brief pause, "A toast: All hail King Karnak, Rightful King of Hungary! Long live the King!" Everyone held up their goblets to Karnak, his soldiers saluted with the Polish salute. "LONG LIVE THE KING!"

Last edited:
Again an excellent update, but one little problem. Isn't Karnak's father dead?

How long until Karnak unites the Kingdoms into the Prussian Imperium?

Homelands
Chapter Twenty Three: Asses to Ashes
Part 4

Prelude:
In 1223 Karnak of Hungary was the heir presumptive, but legally there was no heir apparent since Dzintis died. The title Prince of Prussia was not an immediate one, it was given to a son or grandson by the choosing of the King and had evolved out of the old title Prince of Lithuania. Aethelweard first gave the title to Eadbert not only to elevate his son, but also as a sign of his dominance over the Lithuanian tribes. When Eadbert gave it to his son Aelle it was still Prince of Lithuania, but when he gave it to Gunvald it was then called Prince of Prussia. With old age setting in, Meinekinus decided to finally grant the title to his grandson Karnak thus ensuring the union of Prussia, Bohemia and Hungary. The Kingdom under Karnak and his immediate heirs was the largest the Prussian Empire would ever be. Prussia became one of the very few mega states to ever exist on the face of the earth, though the length of time she held it was roughly a century. Many have pondered the effects to history if Karnak was not chosen to be heir directly. Most scholars agree that Karnak would have simply arisen to the throne anyways. Some propose had he not been granted it he could have started a war for it using the loyalty of many in Prussia and his own Kingdoms. Whatever the alternative outcome, King Karnak was now officially the heir to the Kingdom of Prussia and would soon become the most powerful man in the world.

KarnakCoA-1.png

Karnak of Hungary's Coat of Arms as King of Hungary and Prince of Prussia.

August 6th, 1223

Karnak was back in Memelgrád, standing still as maids measured out his new set of clothes for the coronation as Prince of Prussia. Meinekinus was in the room as well, but he was in a chair, slumped over. He now found it hard to stand as his legs were now riddled with gout, but the Prussian King kept his spirits up even this late in his life.

"You look good, Karnak. The tailor here is a master at his art," Meinekinus said, happily. Even so, Karnak could detect in his voice a slight waiver. He knew his grandfather's health was starting to give way. He looked over at the old man who hid his pain behind a façade of laughter and happiness. Karnak tried to smile, but found it hard thinking that this man, the man who became his father, was slowly fading away.

"So I've heard. How has the city been since I've left?" Karnak asked, trying to keep his grandfather talking.

"Well, all the other knaves are finally safe from being beaten up by the best damned knight to ever come from these halls." Meinekinus laughed. "Well, you always did go easy on them. They always appreciated it."

"How have you been since I've left?"

"Lonely, really," Meinekinus said after a long, silent pause, "There really isn't anyone for me to talk to anymore." The old King seemed to fall apart, his head drooped over and he hid his face in shame. Karnak felt the urge to rush to his grandfather's side, but pinned into place he could do nothing more than lament his current condition. "Every day more rulers send diplomats and envoys to see me and snivel at my feet to get loans or support or whatever, and no one comes just to ask what I think of the weather or how I feel or if I want to play a game of chess! And worse yet are all the marriage proposals! Dukes and Princes whoring their daughters out to me so that they might have a chance to move up on the ladder. I never wanted this damn throne! Valikaila was supposed to be King, not me!" The maids quickly dismissed themselves, making it apparent to Karnak that these fits of depression were normal and frequent.

The King of Hungary stepped over to his grandfather and held him in his arms. Meinekinus's face was covered in tears and he sobbed quietly. He truly was alone in this massive palace with no one to talk to or anything to do. "Lucas was my last friend... Karnak... and your damned father killed him! I never got to say good bye to the man!" All these years Meinekinus was an inspiration to Karnak, but now he saw that even the King of Prussia was mortal, human. The crown would give him little strength. Somehow the world made a little bit more sense to Karnak now.

"Don't worry, papa," Karnak said as he did when he was younger. He tried to prop the King up to look him in the face and saw that one simple word was able to bring a smile back to his grandfather's face. "Let us head downstairs and have the cooks make us some stew and then we can eat, drink mead by the fire, play chess and tell stories. But you shouldn't fret like this."

"Yes, yes... I know, Karnak. I am supposed to be strong. But I am not strong. I am a monk, not a knight like you or my father. Monks are supposed to sit in small, empty rooms and copy books and pray. I did that through most of my life, but I was forced to give it all up." He became quiet and fumbling around in a bag under his chair he produced a large, bound book. "Except this, Karnak. I want you to have it."

"What is it, papa?" Karnak asked, turning over the cover revealing beautiful script and pictures all in Meinekinus's handwriting.

"I had to remake Eadbert's book. Your father broke it in a fit of rage, so I rewrote it word for word... updating it when I had to."

"It truly is beautiful, I've never seen a book so well written and designed. What became of Eadbert's copy?"

"I had it placed with other royal relics, down in the crypts of Mariengrád. I shall join it soon enough," Meinekinus laughed blackly at his joke. Karnak was not amused. He could see his grandfather was afraid of death, as were all men, and with no one to keep his mind distracted he had slipped into depression. Remaking the book was the last thing that gave him happiness in this world.

"We should head downstairs for dinner," Karnak said, "I am hungry and it seems you can use some food as well." He helped Meinekinus to his feet, but as they left the room he saw that his grandfather's walking speed had been reduced to a mere shuffle.

Upon reaching the main chamber of the palace, Karnak got the cooks to start working and then returned to his grandfather who was setting up a chess board. His old hands slowly and carefully set each piece up in its place and once he was done he invited Karnak to choose his color.

"White," Karnak said quickly. Meinekinus smiled as he rotated the board slowly so he was behind the black pieces.

"Why do you choose white?" the old King asked the younger one.

"I find that being on the attack allows a better chance at winning."

"Really? You know, the Persians say that going first is a disadvantage. They say it means you get to make the first mistake." Meinekinus watched as Karnak finished his first move and mirrored it with his own piece.

Karnak was silent for a second, scanning the board then grabbing his knight and moving it over the front row of pawns. "Yes, but it isn't about who makes the first mistake... the only mistake that matters is who makes the last."

Very good motto, i like it pretty much :)

OooooOOOoooo sigged. It is a good quote, I heard it from someone while I played chess (as black). She asked why I liked playing as black and I said "Because you get to make the first mistake" and she said "But the point is not to make the last mistake."

Nitpick: Karnak's last name would be just "of Hwicce" ;)

Or is he?

:eek:

Would make a good twist :p
:wacko: It would...
"Karnak, I am you!"
"If you are me then who am I?!"
And then Karnak was a zombie.

I am honestly sad to see that old man die.
He isn't dead yet!

the end of the Pius king.

They should write more books then just about the languge, how about about there histroy too?

Great updates!
The books technically are the history of the language, the idea of dictionaries didn't return to Europe until much later. The earliest one in the English language (for the English language) was 1604. Even so, Arabs had dictionaries at this time that were apparently listed not alphabetically, but by their last syllable.

Thanks everyone for the support, more to come in the next few weeks as it is break.