• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Another update. This one felt good to write.

Homelands
Chapter Twenty Two: We Three Kings
Part 5

Prelude:
By the fall of 1221 the Hungarian Civil war was over leaving countless dead and even more displaced or homeless. The Kingdom was quickly divided up with Hungary being forced into a union with Bohemia and Prussia annexing Wallachia. The Papal Fortress was declared independent, but for how long was anyone's guess. Few were more unhappy with the union than Meinekinus, who felt that Dzintis was stepping far out of his powers to usurp his own son. Meinekinus and Dzintis had a major falling out, especially when the aging King demanded his grandson stay in Memelgrád if he was not to rule Hungary. In Wallachia the von Franken dynasty set up shop as one of the most important dynasties of the region. Having fled Germany many years before, they finally had a demesne of their own. With the civil war already in the past new tensions were rising, those between Meinekinus and his son and heir, Dzintis. Despite his usually calm and kind nature, even Meinekinus found his son insufferable and once had the King of Bohemia removed from Memelgrád. Though war never did break out, many saw it as inevitable, others saw it as foolish. Father and son met for the last time in 1221.

1221.png

Hungary after the civil war, Blue is Bohemia, Red is Prussia and Grey is the Papal Fortress.

August 8th, 1221

"Old man, you have no idea what you are talking about! Senile and stupid from reading books in a dark library all day! Teaching my son to be nothing more than a flaffy the little shit!" Dzintis backhanded a stack of books spreading papers across the floor.

Meinekinus scowled, he walked around his son and collected his books, lovingly, and put them back into their spots in the book shelves. One book, however, had its binding split, and the Prussian King seemed to silently mourn the loss of the book. "Son, you have grown to be a spoiled little brat. It was a mistake to let you out of this castle and my sight, and I will not make the same mistake with Karnak."

"What do you know? All you do is talk about those damned books and about church and all that unimportant shit. But when the time comes for someone else to stand in the light, you go and hog it all. It is all about you, father!"

"What is this nonsense?! What light? What hogging? If this is about Wallachia and Zygimantas you can sure as true expect me to not care. It is embarrassing to have your marshal come back and tell you that your son is an untrustworthy, egotistical maniac and I'll hear no more of it! If you are to rule Prussia, you are going to have to change." Meinekinus stuck a finger out and prodded Dzintis's chest with it.

Dzintis became quiet, almost a hiss, "And what are you going to do old man? Come back from the grave to make sure your rule is enforced if you don't like me?" Dzintis smiled, assuming he won.

"No, I'll crown Karnak Prince of Prussia and let him take the thrown over you. That boy isn't just more fit to rule Hungary, but he is also the rightful ruler of Hungary."

"O posh, old man. Here you go again... rightful, rightful, rightful! Meaningless. I rule Hungary. I am King of Hungary, that boy is not going to stand between me and what I rule. I conquered Hungary from Mihály, I enforced law and order on the lands, I did it all. It was all me!"

"It was not all you. If it were not for Zygimantas you would have lost everything you managed to win to the Croatians. They were a day's march from your own realm, not very smart, son. What was your plan if they struck Prague?"

"It was part of my plan..." Dzintis stuttered, "It let me trap them between my army and Zygimantas's."

"I don't believe you. Zygimantas said you were headed in the completely opposite way, attacking petty counts who, might I add, were neutral before you burned their cities and..." Meinekinus pulled a letter out and read from it "Stole the wife of the local mayor and had her ride naked through the ranks as a means of securing peace." Meinekinus slammed his hand and the now crumpled letter down on the table and returning his finger to Dzintis's face, "That is NOT how a Christian King is to behave. You are not some bloody Viking! You are my son and you are supposed to inherit this realm. You need to act like someone deserving of the position!"

"It is all talk with you father! And what are you going to do to ensure it happens? NOTHING! Why? Because you'll be a pile of ash under a mortar statue when it happens. And when I am King, and I will be King, I'll strike you and your damned peace-loving pansy father from the history books. It will be my Kingdom, my greatness, my mercifulness that would have subdued all of Eastern Europe."

"You speak as if it has all already happened, Dzintis. I fear for your sanity."

"I fear nothing, father. Nothing. And especially not you."

"Fear God, son. Fear fate. For if you don't... it'll only be your own ruin. Now, I think you should leave."

"So that's it?" Dzintis asked, "You are going to kick me out and be done with it, eh? Finally. You show some balls father."

"I'll pretend I didn't hear that, now leave Dzintis."

"Eh, it is a crappy castle anyways. When I am here I'll have them down the library and make it a wonderful sitting room that shall be full of my portraits and those wishing to ask anything of me can join my here and they can learn just what they are dealing with." Meinekinus's face took a very sad look about it as he listened quietly.

"Fine, so be it, Dzintis. I'll make sure the carpenters are ready when I die. If it means so much to you, I will make sure to pray for a long life. I hope that I shall not have to burry my own son."

"Don't worry, father, you won't have to."

"I hope so."

And with those words Meinekinus bid his son off never to see him again. Dzintis departed Memelgrád convinced of his victory over his father, and conniving the whole way back to Prague. Meinekinus, weary from the argument took the pieces of Eadbert's work on the Prussian language and put it on his desk. The pages were frail and there was little to be done. So the King took out a stack of papers and with a feather and ink began to copy. He had done it as a child and he would do it again.

End Chapter Twenty Two

Superb! That was an excellent post, Mr. C. Family drama always makes for good reading.

Meinekinus mentioned crowning Karnak. Though I seriously doubt that is what will happen, I am curious to see what is the future of Prussia's royal family will be.

Superb! That was an excellent post, Mr. C. Family drama always makes for good reading.

Meinekinus mentioned crowning Karnak. Though I seriously doubt that is what will happen, I am curious to see what is the future of Prussia's royal family will be.

I guess we shall all have to wait and see... O wait... everyone but me. :p

For those who haven't checked, I've actually posted an ink well (check under my name in my sig) to see that I have not only named the series but also the other books.

I guess we shall all have to wait and see... O wait... everyone but me. :p

For those who haven't checked, I've actually posted an ink well (check under my name in my sig) to see that I have not only named the series but also the other books.
I actually re-read the last chapter of the Byzantine saga. That was so corny.

I actually re-read the last chapter of the Byzantine saga. That was so corny.

That it was, Issac, that it was. As much fun as the mega campaign was to play and to post here, that AAR is definitely not the high point of my career here... and that is why I left out all my abandoned AARs off the list. ;)

Some family tragedy. :D
So Dzintis shall die soon?
A too huge Prussia would be probably be too huge for one king. Better to have magyars within their own borders. :D

Some family tragedy. :D
So Dzintis shall die soon?
A too huge Prussia would be probably be too huge for one king. Better to have magyars within their own borders. :D
Yeah, if anything the Prussians could install viceroys and all the problems that come with those.

Great update!

and so, Dzintis, is going to be a mad king, I really hope he doesn't win the throne- I'd rather Karnek be the King!
Thank you. We shall all see in time.

Brilliant chapter, Eastern Europe will be turned upside down if Dzintis gets the Prussian crown

Brilliant chapter, Eastern Europe will be turned upside down if Dzintis gets the Prussian crown

It would... I'd like to go on and start writing Chapter 23 but I am slightly hungover right now...

And for all us Irish folk, the next chapter is not our best hour. Slàinte.

Just finished reading this epic. :D

Fantastic! Brilliant! and a variety of other superlatives!

Are the ruling Prussians in Bohemia and Hungary converting the regions to the one true faith (Orthodoxy)?

Just finished reading this epic. :D

Fantastic! Brilliant! and a variety of other superlatives!

Are the ruling Prussians in Bohemia and Hungary converting the regions to the one true faith (Orthodoxy)?

Wow, thanks! I am glad that new readers are still coming, though I must commend you on your ability to read all roughly 183 pages of the story thus far! :D

And to answer your question, yes, they are, but it is not an active storyline (yet). ;)

Homelands
Chapter Twenty Three: Asses to Ashes
Part 1

Prelude:
1221 was a busy year for not only Eastern Europe, but also Western Europe. 1221 is the year that Ireland's last pockets of resistance in Meath and Ulster were crushed by the expanding Caliph. The Irish lords, now landless, fled to Scotland only to find it was also under siege. Muslim expansion would continue until 1250 when the Scottish rebellion would spark the eventual end of Muslim rule in the Isles. By 1258 Ireland had been unshackled and in 1312 the last Muslim Emir had been forced from the Isles. But the invasions would have profound effects on the region. It lead to the spread of Revisionism in Scotland and Ireland, both of which had mostly been Northern Rite. It also started the Norman rebellion in England, which set back years of stability and growth; as well as uniting Ireland, which caused a major shift in the balance of power in the region. In the East, meanwhile, Karnak was introduced to his eventual wife, Isabelle van Wassemberg. The Wassembergs were of Dutch origin and had arrived in Prussia in 1205. They were of particular importance because they brought the Flemish style of textile making to Prussia, making them very wealthy very fast. They stayed in Memelgrád, never seeking land, instead they used their wealth and proximity to gain a Royal Monopoly on cloth production in Memelgrád. In 1221 they used their wealth to secure a marriage between their eldest daughter and the styled Prince in Prussia, Karnak of Hungary.

Britain1221.png

Britain in 1221 after the fall of Ireland and in 1250 at the height of Muslim power in the isles.

October 7th, 1221

Memelgrád palace was, for the first time in its existence, hosting a major party. Meinekinus wished to use it to debut his grandson, not only a legitimate member of royalty, but also as an eventual ruler of Prussia. Karnak was in his finest for everyone, standing in a small group of ex-German nobles discussing his pedigree, something he had personally researched with help from allies in England.

"Well, most think of us as Leofricsons, but we actually go back to Leofwine, who was an Elderman of Hwicce, so that would be our proper name as per current naming conventions." Those around him seemed impressed with his studies.

"Well your majesty, that certainly was a tale!" one noble said.

"Yes, it is surprising that you have been able to find all these records!"

"Well, my father was helpful, but also friends in far-off England managed to send us the information we needed from old Anglo-Saxon sources."

"Do you know anything beyond that?"

"No, nothing. It appears that Leofwine was the first."

"What are you going to do about your current situation with your father in Hungary, m'lord?"

Karnak's face hardened slightly as he kept himself from scowling, "I believe that the best course of action is to let my father do as he wills... in time my chance will come again and I shall right his wrongs."

Meinekinus stepped behind Karnak and placing a hand on his shoulder said to him, "There are some people here that I would like you to meet." Karnak smiled at the chance to avoid more questions about his father and politely bowed out of the conversation with his current posse. "Karnak, this is Lodewijk van Wassemberg and his daughter Isabelle."

"Ah, yes, I've heard of the Wassembergs here. You own the current cloth monopoly for the city, correct?" Karnak asked. Lodewijk gave the former King the Polish salute, common in Prussia.

"You've heard correctly," Lodewijk said with a smile.

"We are lucky you chose to bring your business here and not elsewhere."

"It was an arrangement that worked for all involved, m'lord." Lodewijk smiled and then switching gears turned to Meinekinus, "Which reminds me, your majesty. I am going to have to have the flags on my ships renewed soon."

Meinekinus thought briefly, "Yes, I guess you will need them soon. I'll have the tax men sent to your docks tomorrow to take the old ones and bring new ones."

"Good, thank you. Karnak, m'lord, I've been informed that you enjoy a good joust."

"I do, Lodewijk, and I am quite good as well."

"Ah! There it is, a healthy ego! Trained by the best and he is 'quite good' indeed," Lodewijk joked.

"But isn't it quite dangerous?" the timid Isabelle asked.

Isabelle_of_Hainault.jpg

Isebelle van Wassemberg as Queen of Hungary.

Karnak smiled and nodded, "Yes, but not as much as one might think. If the two players are aiming to be safe, then all is well."

As the night wore on the party died down to a quiet level and the few remaining guests were those who lived in the city, free from the worry of a long journey back home. Still in attendance were, of course, the hosts, the Wassembergs, a few Vonfraken, several ex-Kings of France and the so-called Duchess of the Hellenes, the Roman Emperor's youngest daughter. They gathered around a fire place for warmth and talked about the affairs of Europe and of the Kingdom. They all, however, tried to avoid Hungary and the power-mad Dzintis who was isolating himself from all of Europe.

"So, Karnak, what are your future plans as King of Prussia, Bohemia and Hungary?" the Duchess asked.

"I haven't put much thought into it yet, I am still just a Knight serving his liege," Karnak replied.

"O, don't give your dear auntie those bull droppings!" She laughed and patted Karnak on the back, her heavy amount fat shaking as she did so. Karnak smiled. In Hungary he was isolated, here he was surrounded by family and people who weren't afraid to talk to him.

"Well, I want to modernize our armies, I feel that we are slipping behind, especially when it comes to arms and armor." Everyone nodded, he was the sole expert in this field present. "Our tactics, however, seem to be good. Zygimantas is well learned in the new forms of combat."

"Well, Meinekinus, what are you going to do about that pesky runt of yours?" the Duchess continued.

Meinekinus raised an eyebrow, "I speak no ill of others."

Last edited:
Ah who but only the mighty Gaels can push back the Muslim advance from within
Gaelach Abú!!! :D

Ah who but only the mighty Gaels can push back the Muslim advance from within
Gaelach Abú!!! :D
In time they did. Right now they plot.

Duchess of Hellenes?
What, who?
It is just a title, basically she is supposed to be a little crazy, but she was Princess of Hellas. The Emperors of Rome and Kings of Prussia are heavily intertwined. The title sounds better, as it is what the modern Kings of Greece used.

Great updae, thourgh could use some work on the grammer.

this or that, Isabelle doesn't seem to make an appernace of herself, did Karnek Choose his wife or was she choosen for him?

Great updae, thourgh could use some work on the grammer.

this or that, Isabelle doesn't seem to make an appernace of herself, did Karnek Choose his wife or was she choosen for him?

Where are the grammar issues, if it is bad, I can fix it. I did find a few smaller things and changed them, so what did you find?

Isabelle has one line: "'But isn't it quite dangerous?' the timid Isabelle asked". It is right above her portrait.

Chosen, as always. ;)

Last edited: