• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Update to come later tonight... I have a date with my lovely and D&D afterwards... also with my lovely but also with some of our friends. If not tonight, two tomorrow.

Homelands
Chapter Two: Prussia Rising
Part 3

Prelude:
The year 1076 would spark more than 100 years of religious revolts in Prussia between the ruling class and the native peoples. The Prussians were a pagan peoples worshiping a group of deities each with a purpose and cults. The Saxons were Catholic by name but maintained some distrust of the centralized Catholic Church. The establishment of the Diocese of Prussia in 1076 sparked a surge of missionaries and witch hunters. These tensions coupled with the division of land to Saxon nobles notorious for their mistreatment of pagans. The revolts were often met harshly by the nobility and lightly by the Royal family who wished to maintain control over the people and were not worried about pleasing the nobility.

April 20th, 1076

Aethelstan sat down with Gytha and Aethelweard carrying a map of the new duchy as defined by the Pope. He had explained to Gytha that it might be beneficial to divide the territory into three sections, the coastal region being controlled by Aethelweard directly and the interior regions divided amongst the highest bidding nobles.

“I believe that by keeping them from having ports we can prevent them from communicating with England.”

“You fear they would contact William?”

“Not as much as I fear them contacting old allies or stations of troops.”

“You plan to weaken them with power?”

“Yes.”

The division of land gave away two counties in the interior of Prussia. The two bidders had to pay Aethelweard a hefty fee for the right to call themselves counts and have rights to colonizing the area. But with the beginning of the Prussian Feudal society began the revolts. In Marienscír one summer morning pagan subjects began attacking the country side. They demanded a return to their pagan days. In the streets they burned effigies of Aethelweard and his regent Aethelstan.

Gytha, worried about the safety of her young son, left for Cyningscír. In Marienscír Aethelstan tried to keep the city together. The local Saxon troops were required to police the area, as Prussian soldiers were unwilling to raise a sword against their brethren. Eventually it became too much for both sides. Prussians starved without food, and Aethelstan stressed over the chaos. An agreement was made and the city returned to normal, but the peace did not last long.

Later in the summer Memelscír revolted against the Saxon rule from the south. Thousands of peasants resisted arrest and began burning missionaries at stakes. The chaos was intensified by rumblings to the north.

Livland and Lettland began warring with one another over dominance in the region. Esthland was invaded by Livland, and Lithland attacked the Russians. With all the war and chaos, the Diocese Bishop said that he was reporting the problems to the Papacy, which angered Aethelstan, who took matters into his own hand. Calling up his old, loyal Saxon warriors Aethelstan crusaded against Memelscír.

Baltic1077copy.png

The Baltic region in 1077

The crusade lasted more than a year, rooting out the infesting leaders of the revolt. Old chiefs were found and hanged. The revolt had infested the city deeply, and much of the city had to be evacuated and many more people never returned, left for dead by the crusading army or went north to Lettland.

“Glorious day, Saxons!” The voice of Aethelstan boomed over the army from atop the castle in Memelscír. “We have proven once again that not only is this city Prussian territory, but that in the name of God all things are possible!” The army cheered, but deep down the men wanted to return home to Marienscír.

Aethelstan, however, had grown restless. The campaign had brought back the excitement of war and combat. Once he had returned to the side of Gytha and her small son he brought out the maps once again.

“Kursland is weak. We shall strike as soon as we can, and bring the territory under our control, so we can later move against Lettland and Livland.”

“Aethelstan, such a move might be necessary. The Bishop returned while you were away. I fear he has stirred up trouble in Rome for us.”

“If any trouble appears, I shall deal with it. Do not worry.”

End Chapter Two

Homelands
Chapter Three: Prussia and the Pope
Part 1

Prelude:
The first Diocese Bishop of Prussia sparked a long and complicated relationship with the Pope. In Prussia churches were uncommon, usually small if one even existed. Usually sermons took place in long houses or in the town square. The Papacy, usually concerned more with Italy and the surrounding countryside, paid little attention to the far-off Baltic region. But the apparent crusade started by Morcar had caught the attention of Rome, who wished to turn the Baltic into an example of a future Jerusalem.

March 14th, 1079

Aethelstan and his army of 12,000 marched northward to the land of the Kurs, a tribe closely related to the Letts and Samogitians. They had been weakened by the wars between their neighbors and provided an easy target for the Prussians. Aethelweard, now ten years old, accompanied his regent on the campaign, much to the chagrin of his mother.

“Aethelstan, why do we march to war?”

“My Prince, we march to war for glory, it is in our souls.”

“But these people, what will become of them?”

“We shall annex them; they shall be spared so long as they recognize you as the one true ruler of this region.”

Aethelweard looked confused, but tried to accept his regent’s teachings.

“Young Prussian,” Aethelstan said, “Your father sailed from far away to find a land to rule because our homeland had been conquered.”

“Conquered?”

“Yes, it is a long story, maybe some other day.”

Aethelstan’s mind was completely on the campaign at this point. They were a day’s march from the border and Kurs troops had already been reported in the area. The safety of the young boy, his liege’s heir and his lover’s son was in his hands.

The war went relatively well; the Kurs, in their panic, could only organize some 3,000 soldiers. The young boy was forced to see the hardships of war as the Prussians sieged the enemy fortress and as they fought off the Kurs as their chief lead them on near suicidal attacks to drive the Prussians out of the region.

“Aethelweard, a cornered animal is a dangerous animal. It will strike quickly and irrationally. People and armies are the same way.”

“But why do the men listen if the battles are already lost?”

“Because in the same way our men believe that you and I shall lead them to victory, they believe that their chief will lead them to victory.”

“Even if he cannot?”

“Even if he cannot.”

Aethelstan’s teachings sank deep into Aethelweard’s mind. He learned much that summer on the march with his regent. The small tribe of the Kurs was annexed into the ducal territory of Prussia. With the tribe settled into Prussian life, Aethelstan and Aethelweard headed back home to Marienscír. There a letter from the Pope and its guardians waited, but the short journey home was a time of rejoice for the Duke and his victorious army.

Yikes, it hasn't even been that long and already the Saxons refer to themselves as Prussian! Ducal nationalism in the 11th century?

Cool updates. I'm worried about Papal intervention though. I suppose it can't be helped in this day and age.

Yikes, it hasn't even been that long and already the Saxons refer to themselves as Prussian! Ducal nationalism in the 11th century?

Cool updates. I'm worried about Papal intervention though. I suppose it can't be helped in this day and age.

For me the difference is Prussians are Saxons born in Prussia and Saxons are immigrants.

So how many saxons are living in Prussia?
And could we have a map where the counties are named and the cities have saxon names? :p
Never fight a cornedred animal, show it a way to freedom, it shall choose it, and then comes the time when to strike.

no werewolfs? :(

ohh well it's pretty fun so far :)
So why isn't Aethelstan taking th power from the lil boy? why not just kill him now...and become a Duke himself? :D
No werewolves, sorry.

Aethelstan is a pretty loyal guy. Plus his non-Martial stats were pretty abysmal.

So how many saxons are living in Prussia?
And could we have a map where the counties are named and the cities have saxon names? :p
Never fight a cornedred animal, show it a way to freedom, it shall choose it, and then comes the time when to strike.
Some 13,000 Saxons immigrated to Prussia. I can create such a map tonight.

I was going to work on an update, then I started my homework and divided by zero... so I am done for the night... :wacko:

If anyone wants to help:
MA 266 Differential Equations for the Sciences said:
y" + 4y' + 4y = (t^2)(e^(-2t))

I have the r values as -2 and -2, therefore:

y1 = y2 = e^(-2t)

When you take the Wronskian (W) of y1 and y2 you get zero.

I need the Wronskian to get u1' and u2' so I can solve for u1 and u2 and therefore get the characteristic equation.

It should be easy, but I hate dividing by zero:

u1' = y2*g / W

u1' = e^(-2t) * (t^2)(e^(-2t)) / 0

u1' = !

u2' = y1*g / W

u2' = e^(-2t) * (t^2)(e^(-2t)) / 0

u2' = !

Hooray for Diff-E-Q :wacko: