• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Homelands
Chapter Twenty: Storm and Sun
Part 2

Prelude:
The war over Moldavia eventually came to an end as Prussian forces closed on Pest. The fall of the Hungarian capital forced King István to resign his claims on Moldavia and with it, the hopes of a Black Sea trading port. With Moldavia secured, Sviendorog continued with his road to Constantinople, linking the two Empires physically. But for Hungary an issue of legitimacy began to arise. The Kingdom was sinking deeper and deeper into Eastern influences, and now landlocked with its only major river flowing through Eastern lands, it was at the mercy of the Romans and the Prussians. King István was forced to make a tough decision. He could either continue to be antagonistic against the Prussians and end up landless, or he could attempt to work with his neighbor and hopefully remain protected from advancing Muslim forces. István initially sided with Prussia, but in 1203 events allowed him to maneuver into a powerful position in the west. From then on Hungary walked a thin line between the sole power of the West and a vassal of the Eastern powers. But by 1220 Hungary would fall from this line in a series of violent civil wars. Hungary stood for something more, though, a metaphor for all of Christendom: fight for survival or adapt with the East. It was a question that more and more Catholics had to ask themselves.

1200.png

Prussia in 1200 after its war with Hungary

September 5th, 1200

Moldavia brought in new riches from its position between Prussia and Rome. And like all new Prussian conquests it quickly attracted large numbers of peasants and lesser nobles all looking to settle the new region. New to the scene were Germans, Greeks and Bulgarians all began to settle into the region each vying for power and legitimacy over the others. But as usual unwanted sons, brothers and cousins were made counts and dukes to practically banish them from the court in Memelgrád. As one of his first assignments with the court, Prince Meinekinus was sent to Moldavia to check on the building of the road to the Roman Empire. The trip had been long, but he took it as a break from the life style of the Principality.

"My lord, Prince Meinekinus. You made excellent time, we were not expecting you until tomorrow," the foreman said.

"And you are correct. What little time we made up was at the expense of rest, and I could go for a good night's sleep." Meinekinus's smile was soon mirrored by the foreman, a talent the Prince had.

"Shall I have a servant send wine up to you?"

"No, I am afraid I do not drink very often. Water shall be plenty good." He left with his guard up to a local castle that had been left by the retreating Hungarians. Inside the Prince found a new staff waiting for him and he sighed. People were all too willing to serve him as if he were some kind of god and it was starting to get to him. Things would be different under his own rule.

"Sir is there anything we can get you?"

"No, just point me to the bedroom."

"Certainly, we'll send a maid up to..."

"No, I am perfectly capable of doing whatever there is to be done." Even his annoyance could not overcome his instinct to smile and say things in the nicest possible tone.

"V... very well then, my lord. I hope you enjoy your stay with us."

"Prince Meinekinus! Look at you being bossed around by maids," a voice said from behind.

"Borut, how are you brother? It has been far too long."

"Yes, I am enjoying my exile here in nowhere quite well." The word 'exile' dripped with anger and hatred. Meinekinus turned to his half-brother. He remembered his brother's disliking of his position and tried to remain positive. "You never did understand the reality of it, did you?"

"I am afraid I do not know what you mean."

"I mean the way father gloated over you and that fairy Valikaila. Forgetting all the rest of us, leaving us with nannies to pretend like we didn't exist. Replacing our mothers like some sort of retched harem. You really just are that thick, aren't you?"

"I do not believe that tone is one best suited for speaking to the future King of Prussia."

"So daddy did teach you something. I am surprised, really I am." Borut snorted. His face was riddle with pox marks and his left eye was blind with a cataract. He was an ugly brute and Meinekinus had not seen him for many years, instead trying to concentrate on happy thoughts.

"I do not believe father will be too happy with the current condition of this road. You seem very disinterested in its completion."

"O? Daddy is mad? Well shucks, I guess I'll have to go up there and apologize." Borut laughed at the idea. "As if I gave two shits what father wants, he never gave a damn about me, why shouldn't I return the favor?"

"Because he is your King, as I will be one day."

"And when that day comes, Prussia truly is in for it, eh? We're just all fu..."

"Shut up you damned boar!" Meinekinus shouted. "Everything out of your mouth is baseless treachery and hatred. You are Cain to Valikaila's Abel; a worthless little shit on the side of the road, fated only to be trodden upon by every passing horse!"

"Angry, brother? Maybe you can just head back up north and tell daddy all about are little argument and the Guard can storm my castle, drag me out into the night and I'll never be heard of again. O wait, did I tell evewyone your wittle pwan? You can't fight me yourself, you damned friar?!"

"I refuse to fight you, because self control that is what divides human beings from those masquerading as one."

"Spoken like a true coward." Borut turned and spat on the floor.

"Clean that up, brother."

"Why? You afraid a maid might have to do it?"

"Now."

"Heh, make me" Borut jeered, so Meinekinus did.

Meinekinus' rule as king shall be quite interresting... i have difficulties foretelling how he'll do :p He reminds me of Henri III de France in many aspects, at least as he is portrayed in a couple of books.

Meinekinus' rule as king shall be quite interresting... i have difficulties foretelling how he'll do :p He reminds me of Henri III de France in many aspects, at least as he is portrayed in a couple of books.
I agree, a simple man amongst the rich and powerful.

He looks like a good future king, he has the power to withhold his duty's, but at the same time he doesn't need more then really needs.
We shall all see soon enough. ;)

A King must show his vassals that he is the King. :p
Killing disloyal barbaric counts is a nice way to be a good King. :cool:
He didn't kill him, he just made Borut clean it up. I cannot actually see Meinekinus killing anyone.

Another possible muslim explorer.

So, the update will come tommorow?

And after finishing the brilliant Uncharted 2, I've got to ask : Will there be a Prussian equivalent of Marco Polo?

Maybe, maybe tomorrow. I've got a second round of exams on the horizon.

Also maybe, I have yet to decide where Prussia will go in EUIII.

Homelands
Chapter Twenty: Storm and Sun
Part 3

Prelude:
Prince Dzintis had a strange position in history because he became King before his father did. In 1201 Prince Dzintis was carried off to Prague to be crowned King Dominic, a name decidedly Czech enough. That same day, he was wed to the daughter of King István as part of that King's want to try to foster forgiveness from its large neighbor. The young boy, only just turned sixteen was quickly thrust onto the world stage unprepared. The Czechs were unwilling to have Meinekinus as a regent, so instead Dzintis was on his own, forced to go from unknown Prince to King in a day. Regardless the crowning and wedding was a collecting point for many powerful lords of the East to meet with sympathetic lords of the West. Even though very young, Dzitinis ensured his father and grandfather he would take to his job with great spirit and energy. To the Czechs he promised a golden age of greatness and power, something he fought for everyday and eventually would bring to pass. His rule was seen as largely separate from the influences of his father and grandfather. He took up a great deal of pride in being the ruler of Bohemia and completely dropped his Prussian coat of arms, instead taking up the Bohemian one without any additions.

Dzintis.jpg

Dzintis as King Dominic I of Bohemia

May 13th, 1201

Sviendorog and Meinekinus stood behind Dzintis as he received the crown of Bohemia. The crowd was anxious to hear from their new King, who was fluent in Czech as well as Prussian. With the crown on his head he turned to face the people as King of Bohemia, and his grandfather as an equal in the world. Meinekinus bowed slightly and stepped aside as the boy walked past his father and stood before the crowd.

"A time of greatness stands before Bohemia, as it once did in the times of Great Moravia. We have a choice, do we go into the world quietly? Attempting to be missed? Or do we attempt to move with it? Keeping our heads up. Proud. I believe this answer is clear, we must attempt to carve an existence for our great land, for we must remember this... that which many often forget... It is not Prussia will inherit Bohemia, but Bohemia will inherit Prussia!"

The speech caused massive cheers and glee, but Sviendorog was taken slightly aback, he turned to Meinekinus who had no reaction on his face.

"What does he mean by that?"

"I don't know, but the people like it, so it was the right thing to say," Meinekinus pointed out. He stood still, watching his son receive praise and good tidings from the nobles of Bohemia. "We must get going, though, father. There is still much to be done in Prussia."

"Yes, we must." And excusing themselves to Dzintis, they left Prague headed over Prussian roads back toward Memelgrád.

"So whatever became of Borut, father?"

"Little bastard was sent away... plain and simple. Too many sons... too much infighting." He turned and looked at Meinekinus, "Luckily there was no protest from other nobles, he seemed to be unpopular across the board. I gave his land away to another count so everything happened pretty quickly. Road is finished though, cannot complain."

"I must ask though, what happens to all the other sons, wives?"

Sviendorog swallowed, "The life expectancy for women in court is rather low. Sons stay in the castle until they are sixteen. If we feel they can rule, they are kept, the others leave. They get titles or even just homes in and around the Baltic. Keep them close enough if needed, but far enough away not to be trouble. Rotten ones, like Borut, are sent south."

"It doesn't seem very consistent with the idea of a family..." Meinekinus lamented.

"No, but we aren't a family most of the time. We are a dynasty. Most families forget in time who their distant relatives are, but we can't. It's all recorded and compiled. There is a lot of hatred in our dynasty. In some countries all the titles go to the oldest regardless. It makes things easier, cleaner. But since we give it to the heir of our choosing there is always another son unhappy with his father's choice. Gunvald dealt with it, I didn't so much, but you have and will. Dzintis won't... his inheritance is clear as day."

"I am not sure I like the hatred involved... but once I am King... then I get a bit of respite. Right?"

"Let me tell you about the Saxons... they hate us Prussians so much, they need to be tracked, and kept in line. If not they will do something stupid."

"Actually, it seems they might get their chance without being stupid."

"Hmm?"

"I've been tracking their lines, they are very close to the Romans. One bad heir in that line and the title Emperor of the Romans could possibly fall into their lap."

"Good riddance," Sviendorog said. He gave little more thought to the issue. If his father wasn't worried, Meinekinus told himself to not worry. Much of the remainder of the hour was spent in silence, quietly being shuffled by their guard back to the relative safety of Memelgrád.

"Heh," Sviendorog finally quipped, "Could you imagine a united Prussian/Roman Empire?"

"I could not, father, and I certainly wouldn't want to rule it."

"Yeah, I never suggested I wanted to rule it. Though a good Roman bath would be nice around the city."

"You could always build one, father. You are King."

"Eh, but we are running out of room, and I only really want one bath." Sviendorog smiled idly.

"Well, you have some time left on this earth, you might as well have one more bath," Meinekinus joked. The two men shared their laugh, but for Sviendorog the thought of death was starting to become a constant. A nagging doubt that he was having more and more trouble shaking. But he smiled anyways, he tried not to think on it and just go about life.

"Yes, I shall have it when we get back."

How big be Memelgrad at this point?
A lot of stone buildings?
Not golden yet? :D

I will resist saying a number lest I get a wave of wikipedia articles telling me why I am wrong, but for the sake of argument, let's just say large for the Baltic. ;)

Stone and wood I would assume. Gold, not yet... but soon...

Sorry about the delays everyone, bit of a creative slump after the rapid fire last weeks. Also working on some other stuff around home.

Excellent! A tyrant is just what Prussia needs to conquer Europe and then fall apart making way for the EU Prussia to have something to do.

I can remember my MTW game in which I conquered the whole world with one king. The good old scott Edward the Tyrant killed about half of European population.

Excellent! A tyrant is just what Prussia needs to conquer Europe and then fall apart making way for the EU Prussia to have something to do.

I can remember my MTW game in which I conquered the whole world with one king. The good old scott Edward the Tyrant killed about half of European population.
Prussia's tyrant does more work making Prussia a nation state and not just a collection of duchies and kingdoms.

Excellent update! Sviandorog's era is closing to an end, and now were getting closer to a new, more Pius era!

Also: I think what Dominic meant was that since he will most likely inherit Prussia, then it'll be integrated into Bohemia and not the other way around, correct?

Excellent update! Sviandorog's era is closing to an end, and now were getting closer to a new, more Pius era!

Also: I think what Dominic meant was that since he will most likely inherit Prussia, then it'll be integrated into Bohemia and not the other way around, correct?

You can imagine Dzintis as Henry IV of France, Bohemia plays the part of Navarre and Prussia the part of France. So in theory Bohemia is inheriting Prussia, but Prussia is the more respectable title, so will be used on top of the others. Dzintis is trying to gain support within Bohemia to ensure an easier rule.