• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Great update, problem is, it looks like Prussia is reaching it's peak.
Far from it. We have a lot of conquest to go! ;)

Persian empire with Cuman nobility spreading muslim faith into the east?

And a good choice of regal colours.
Dark reds are some of my favourite colours. The Seljuks, like usual, got pretty big by expanding into Georgia and Armenia.

I definitely love MEIOU far more than I do MMP (which is for sado-masochists), but it does have certain features that I believe will do the AAR good, namely their religion aspect with multiple conversions and extra Islamic religions which are sorely needed to keep the game balanced. And that is the key, since Europe is muslim and Arabia is muslim, if they were to both be sunni, the lack of additional revolt risk would allow one to conqueror the other quite quickly.

Fuzzbug made a nice spread of Islam (including a spread of shi'ism), which is included in MEIOU. For more, ... well, when do you need that part ready ? I can improve the mod... i was planning on using at least parts of Dei Gratia (with Dharper's gracious authorization).

He knew it would be hard facing the two most powerful generals the Rus and Cuman had to throw at him; Generals Mud and Winter.

:rofl:
Another nice update. I guess the Rus' will be a bit harder to chew than the late Cumans, although of course they don't have that much territory each.

*starts looking forward next update... again...* :D

Fuzzbug made a nice spread of Islam (including a spread of shi'ism), which is included in MEIOU. For more, ... well, when do you need that part ready ? I can improve the mod... i was planning on using at least parts of Dei Gratia (with Dharper's gracious authorization).

I need more forms of Islam, not just heretics. In MMP there is Wahhabism, and though it is meant for Saudi Arabia, I use it to represent a blend of Islam meant for Europe (combining Islam and Europe's fanaticism after some 300 years of constant war). It gives a tech penalty, which I want to use to shift influence from Europe to the Middle East and Eastern Europe.

The other thing is MMP's conversion system is far different than vanilla, but in retroflection I don't really require it as much.

:rofl:
Another nice update. I guess the Rus' will be a bit harder to chew than the late Cumans, although of course they don't have that much territory each.

*starts looking forward next update... again...* :D
I actually didn't make that joke myself, it was in a history book I've been reading as of late.

I can get that into the works now. ;)

Preussen, von Elbe bis zur Wolga? :D
Or whaet be that in prussic. :D

Ingria to be conquerreth soon?

The next update deals an interesting change in Gunvald's plans thanks to you Finns. ;)

EDIT:
Próshjá, no se Elbá wis se Wolgá.

próSjá, no se elbá wis se wolgá.

πρόςԓά, νο σε ελβά wισ σε wολγά.

Last edited:
Homelands
Chapter Sixteen: Winters of War
Part 4

Prelude:
The Winters of War refers to a period of Prussian history marked by sudden and inexplicable expansion as ordered by King Gunvald in his later years. In 1175, when the second wave of wars started he was 48 years of age, far beyond the average age for a man in his time period, even royalty. Many historians suspect a degree of insecurity or even madness in his choice to fight constant wars in Russia for four years. But Prussia's ultimate triumph, the crown of the Rus was blocked by the Mordvins, who conquered Moscow, Tver and Novgorod in the same time period. The Mordvins were a Finnic people, native to central Russia; their Kingdom expanded quickly and then, due to Prussia's unwillingness to commit to an all-out war against them, lasted (albeit smaller) until the 1300's when it finally converted to Christianity. The Mordvin Kingdom was surprisingly European for a pagan collective. The nation was organized on feudal grounds (probably based off the Prussian method), Kings married their daughters to foreigners, dynastic systems were well-maintained and strict. The major dynasties of the Mordvins were the Merya dynasty, which founded the Kingdom; the Narva dynasty, which was a cadet branch of the Merya dynasty that spoke Russian and was partially Muslim as well as pagan; and lastly the Wolgast dynasty, which was descendent of Wends but fully Mordvin by the time they took the throne. Under the Wolgast dynasty the Mordvin Kingdom converted to Christianity and submitted to Prussia in order to quell internal issues.

Mordvins.png

The Kingdom of Mordvins (Dark Green) at its height under the Narva Dynasty circa 1220. In light green the Kingdom's tributary tribes and in grey the Mordvin population of Prussia. Prussia shown with its 1176 border.

September 10th 1176

The conquest of the Russian tribes had been halted by the Mordvin's sudden and unexpected expansion. The Mordvin Kingdom was a young one, becoming prominent only in the last few decades. Gunvald had rushed out to the new territories quickly after being summoned by his son to help defuse a potentially dangerous issue. It seemed that after the conquest of the Cumans and large number of Mordvins now lived inside Prussian territory. Acting on Sviendorog's suggestion, Gunvald brought another 20,000 troops with him. It was at the tiny fortress city of Moscow that they met with the King of the Mordvins, a chief by the name of Reko of Merya. When Gunvald and Sviendorog arrived with their respective body guards they found the court at Moscow lively, unlike those in Prussia. Reko resembled a living Dionysus. His face was hairless and pudgy, his hair unkept and curly. For a crown he wore leaves and branches woven into a circlet; for clothing a simple toga; and for a throne a large relaxing chair covered in lavish pillows. By his side was a bear, tied to a pole, but calm and kept. It slept quietly surrounded by small coins and offerings.

1176.png

Prussia in 1176 with its new gains highlighted.

The King of the Mordvins stood up, trying to act as refined and dignified as a god. Gunvald glanced around and saw that no one else dressed like him. It was a show, the Prussian King thought to himself, he is trying to scare us.

"War is a terrible thing, neighbor," Reko began. Gunvald could not help but roll his eyes and look disaffected. "I'd hate to see it break out between our peoples."

"Reko, I am not here to be preached to. Get on with it."

"Gunvald, in your son's overzealous conquest of the Muslims he made a large number of our brothers and sisters into your subjects. I hope that this does not lead to any issue in the future."

"Well that depends, have you called me here to instigate that issue? Because that is what I assumed and that is why we have 45,000 troops waiting for orders."

Reko paced back and forth while Gunvald spoke, he seemed to care very little that the Prussians were threatening a massive invasion if they felt he was provoking something. "And I assume soon the missionaries will be parading through the streets burning women and chastising the country folk."

Sviendorog looked to his father as Gunvald swallowed his anger. "You are lucky that the Volga river is not an asset to us. Now if you wish to continue, I would be glad to bring up the massive number of Russian Christians you have taken under your flock."

It was only now that Reko ceased his pacing and looked at Gunvald directly. "Maybe I will continue, good King of Prussia. Then what?"

"Your people will feel the might of Prussian anger." Sviendorog smiled, he knew his father would be blunt soon enough. Reko turned to speak with his advisor, no doubt trying to decide if he could even survive a total onslaught from the Prussians. He knew the answer was an astounding 'no.' Sviendorog had unsuccessfully argued to his father that the Volga river would make the best eastern defense and that wiping the Mordvins off the map now would be better than letting them get stronger, as was the current trend. But Gunvald insisted that better territories lie not to the east but to the west and south.

The Mordvin King sat back down and looked earnestly at Gunvald who had fixed his gaze on the pagan. "Then I guess it is of no use..." he seemed to lament. He reached back to one advisor who handed him a scroll. "This is my alternative proposal." He handed the roll to a young knave sitting at his feet. The boy, no older than ten, took the paper and handed it to Gunvald with a deep bow. It was written in Russian, the common tongue used between Prussians and Mordvins, and offered a sum of gold each year for access to the Black Sea for trade.

"I must admit, this probably should have been the first order of business, Reko. I don't feel like I must accept this after you have tried to belittle me. I will give it to you on one extra term, the treaty will last five years. After that you must come to Memelbuhr and have it renewed. We ask a 10% tarriff. If you try to short sell us, you will be in trouble. Got me?"

"Completely, Gunvald." The Prussiann King rolled the paper back up and handed it to his captain.

"I assume we are done here," he said, turn and leaving without further to do. Sviendorog looked at Reko intensely, he knew one year that the Mordvins would have to come to him for the right to use the Black Sea and he would simply say no. He shook his head to rid himself of such thoughts. I am not King yet, he said to himself. Not yet. He left with his father and their guard, Gunvald seemed pleased with the outcome and smiled accordingly.

"Father, we are only postponing the inevitable!" Sviendorog said. "You let that wild man get away with a treaty and trade instead of castrated."

"There is more to this than war!"

"No, father! The Volga could have been our trade route, our body of water! Moscow could have been our fortress, Russia was in your hand, dancing nearly naked in front of you!" Sviendorog clenched his fist into a ball.

Gunvald looked at Sviendorog seriously, "I saw it, but it was just that... a scrawny man dancing around naked."

Why is Moscow not Mustajoki, Blackriver. It was really a Finnish town before the rus came and threw the tshushna away. :(

Peace to the east, war to the west?

Why is Moscow not Mustajoki, Blackriver. It was really a Finnish town before the rus came and threw the tshushna away. :(

Peace to the east, war to the west?
War to the South, then west. ;)

Great updates
It's gonna all kick off soon, bring on the Mordo-Prussian War
Not in this time frame, sorry.

Good update, Sviendrog seems ambitious, I like him, allot. Hope he does get "The Great" as his title.
Sviendorog is ambitious, his goals are lofty, don't you worry.

Homelands
Chapter Sixteen: Winters of War
Part 5

Prelude:
After the Russian wars died down and a war with the Mordvins prevented, Prussia went into a relaxed state as Sviendorog redrew up his plans for war and conquest. King Gunvald returned to a bigger matter at hand. The recent wars added large numbers of Orthodox practitioners to the Prussian population, but the earlier wars with Poland had added huge numbers of Catholics to the population. Orthodoxy slowly began to creep in, but religious tensions in some areas were very high. In Krakow, especially, members of the Orthodox clergy and congregation often recieved threats of violence and murder. Riots broke out in 1173, 1174 and 1176. A separate riot in 1175 was called the "Language Riot" and started when the local count enacted an ordinance banning the usage of Polish in the town center. It was repealed later that year after the riots. The biggest hit to Orthodoxy was the lynching of the Patriarch of Prussia. His death at the hands of the mob of Plock in 1176 brought the Prussian armies in and made the Patriarch a Saint. Gunvald's normal approach of let the missionaries work on their own made a drastic one-eighty. By the end of 1176 Catholicism in Poland was illegal. Many feared a purge like that in 1134 so more gave in without resisting. Along with Catholics, Pagans in "old Prussia" (Finland, the Baltics, Prussia proper) were also forced to convert. In the meantime the Pope could do little to protect the Catholics of Prussia, issuing only a warning in writing.

December 15th, 1176

Gunvald sat at his desk reading over lists of confessions and conversions. Each line represented a convert, one lest Catholic or Pagan in Prussia. Many knew from history that the first wave would be the easiest, those who converted would be welcomed to the flock and those that didn't would face only warnings. The next time around, however, and things won't be as friendly. Gunvald hoped that a second round was unnecessary. Even so, his move had irked Constantinople slightly. Relations between the East and West were flaring due to Prussian and Rome's lack of effort given to protect the Catholics from the invading Muslims. Now it seemed war was imminent.

Religion1176.png

Religion in Prussia circa 1176, orthodoxy in brown, catholicism in blue and paganism in grey.

"Father, I must speak with you," a voice called. With all of his children scattered, Gunvald knew that the voice could only belong to Sviendorog.

"What is it, son?"

"Where is Meinekinus? I was in Marienscir and wanted to speak with him, but the priests said he had gone with the missionaries."

Gunvald put down the list of names and dug around to find the list of locales for missionaries. "Eadbert's Monastery was sent up north into Lettland," Gunvald said calmly. He looked up to see his son still fuming.

"I really wish I was warned about this move," Sviendorog said.

"Don't worry, Valikaila is still safe and sound, so what matter is it?"

Sviendorog shook his head angrily. He didn't say anything so Gunvald continued, "If it means anything: I had them sent to Lettland, it is safer for them. You can thank me later." Sviendorog finally left the room, leaving Gunvald to ponder the coming years. He pushed all the papers on his table off onto the floor, not caring as they intermingled in the air. He put his head into his hands and rubbed his forehead therapeutically. Valikaila was a strange boy, now thirteen years old. He seemed very uninterested in ruling and uninterested in anything outside of military life. Gunvald worried about his grandson's choice of friends and closeness to them. It really did keep the aging monarch up at night, but he tried to ignore the nibbling doubt in his mind and continued to remind himself that it would be Sviendorog's problem.

His son's problem. Like many of the loose ends he had been leaving floating around. The Russian wars are a big one. The issues with the Mordvins was another that worried him slightly in that Sviendorog's solution was probably a war or two. Gunvald guessed to himself that the issue was that he missed the company of Aethelwulf. His brother, like Sviendorog was a masterful tactician; but unlike Sviendorog, he didn't have any plans running in the background for when he eventually became king. As of late, Gunvald had been growing more and more isolated from his family. His own children numbered in the tens, some younger than Sviendorog's oldest, and his siblings were quickly dying off or leaving. His most recent wife was now a few years deceased and he couldn't bring himself to find a new one. That is not to say, however, that he didn't still get proposals. Many hoped to use the Prussian inheritance laws against the nation, in much the way that Alexander the Great came to rule Macedonia.

His current suitress, Maria, was a young sister to the Roman Emperor. Unimportant to the court, she ventured north to make something of herself. Their only son was Christophoros, a small boy at the age of three. Born out of wedlock he could never become King. But that didn't stop Maria from trying. She knew her chances were slim with non-Greek candidates like Sviendorog and his sons around. But for her it was worth trying. Gunvald knew that soon he would have to retire to his room for the night and that meant dealing with her.

He sighed.

Then a slight rap at his door woke him out of his free-stream of thought and he turned around, "Yes?" he asked, glad to be out of the stupor.

"A Bohemian representative is here. He wants to talk with you about opening relations."

"Huh? Why the Bohemians?"

"I have no idea, sir." Gunvald stood up and left with the messenger. Inside the throne room stood a full-out Kingly entourage. They carried with them the banner of Bohemia and a royal decree marked with the Premyslid seal. With them was a young girl, Bozislava, the only child of the King of Bohemia.

"Greetings Gunvald, King of Prussia and the East!" the girl's bodyguard saluted the King. He presented the seal of the King to Gunvald who looked at it and confirmed it was his neighbor's seal.

"What brings the delegation of Bohemia to Prussia?" Gunvald asked.

"The King of Bohemia wishes that his daughter be allowed to stay here as part of her education. He believe that Bohemia has been isolated from Germany and the rest of Catholicism in recent years for not fighting in the Crusades and that the East is his last hope."

Gunvald looked at the little girl who was Valikaila's age. "I believe we can find a place for her here in the court. I assume you as her bodyguard will be staying as well."

"I will, unless that causes a problem."

"No, it won't. I'll be happy to house you two here in the palace." Gunvald smiled, new faces will lighten the mood around the castle, plus the thought that Bohemia was as good as Prussian made him considerably more cheerful. But dark times were still in store for Prussia. The Russian Wars still loomed overhead as well as the appearance of old enemies at the shores of Prussia. But for now the future seemed bright for Prussia.

End Chapter Sixteen

Sorry for missing this point at first, but the Finnish names are the "proper" canonical names for many Russian cities in this AAR, but for the sake of many cities I refer to them in English or Semi-English, like Memelbuhr (mæmálgrád) Marienscír (máreængrád); both founded within the time frame and in-story.

It is mostly for consistency (instead of referring to France as 'Normandy' and Germany as 'Saxony') but also reader understanding (which is why Anglo-Prussian is kept down to only non-key lines of text and banter).

Prussian Lesson #2
-Please ignore apparent spaces after á, the font creator added a large gap after it-

If you can get the pronunciation down, moving onto simple grammar and vocabulary is the next step. To work on basic vocabulary the numbers are a good place to jump off. Like most counting systems Prussian uses base ten. However it does not use the Latin numbers or the modified arabic numbers (like English). Instead it uses a custom modified version that more closely resembles arabic.

Practice2.png

Notice the difference of a preceding zero and a following zero. A preceding zero or stand-alone zero is marked with a specific shape while the following zero is a simpler shape. Numbers between 11 and 19 are marked by adding -tzæn to the end of the 1-9 cardinal. Hence 11 is ientzæn, twelve is dówtzæn. The tenth number, (ie 20, 30, 40 etc) is made by adding -te to the end of the cardinal number (with the exception of 1). Hence 20 is dówte and 60 is sekste. Numbers between tens are written as cardinal+un+tens. For example 66 is seksunsekste (seks un seks te; six and sixty). 100 is ándræ, X00 is cardinal+ándræ (dówándræ, for example, is 200). An arbitrary number between hundreds is hundreds+lower number. Hence 589 is pekándrænoiunástte (pek+ándræ+noi+un+ást+te; five hundred nine and eighty). Thousand is táósánd. The same rules apply to "thousand" as do to "hundred".

An ordinal is created simply by adding -th to a number greater than three (or zero).

Edit: I made two other posts tonight, remember to read all of them. ;)

So, Bohemia literally offers itself to be a part of Prussia?

And wouldn't it be more logical to use the word 'gorod' than 'grad'.
Since I believe that the Russian word 'gorod' is the older version of the word city/town than grad, which is used in modern Slavic.

interesting! I like it! though I have to master the Alphabet... it is very interesting.

great update! it seems like the Gunvald era is coming to a close slowly.