• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I will try to get an update out this coming weekend. It is an exam week, so I've been busying myself with studying and Steel Battalion.
Yeah... sorry about that... I've had a little bout of writer's block so I've been searching for a muse these last few days. I am venturing into Chicago for the day, and then have homework, but I am trying to get out of this rut and back onto a good schedule. I want to say I'll have an update out soon, but that depends on the quality of what I can write today and tomorrow.

And we are back!

Homelands
Chapter Fifteen: A Glorious Return
Part 4

Prelude:
After two years of bitter fighting and conquest the Norman leaders of England fled back to Normandy. There they found their ancestral homeland burnt and pillaged by raiding Berber and Castilian ships. In fact a large portion of their territory had been conquered and was now ruled from Iberia. William II de Normandie no longer had the manpower or the will power to continue a fight, so signed a treaty with the Caliph. The family scattered into the world, very few remaining with the broken ex-King, now Duke. He was forced to once again pledge fealty to the King of France, who was is in dire need of commanders for the continuing failures of the Infinite War. The entirety of the Western Coast of France was now under Muslim occupation. Back in London the Leofricsons began their rule of England by dividing the island up amongst local allies and nobles from home that they wished to never see again. One of these was a loud, stupid and heretical Russian by the name of Pukuveras Bryachislavich. He had been exiled from Prussia for denouncing the trinity amongst other things, though as lore has it, the real reason was for kissing the un-wed daughter of King Gunvald.

May 2nd, 1170

Sviendorog had remained in England as the temporary representative of his father to the Princes and Counts of the Kingdom of England. He took great care to not let anything of his father’s future plans to get out. He figured it was smart of his father to not want to stay in England for long. The time between messages sent and messages received was far too long and honestly the place did not have the same feeling as home.

England1170.jpg

England in 1170, Normandy is in light blue, within the Kingdom of France (blue).

“Home,” Sviendorog said aloud. The people in the room with him were used to his random blurting. He sat, slouched over on the throne that, a few years earlier, was occupied by William II of England. He thought about his wife and sons, Valikaila and Meinekinus. Valikaila, King of the Prussians. He was careful to keep his thoughts to himself. It had been some time since he had been in Prussia. Aethelwulf had been allowed to return to the homelands. He was growing old, and sick. Gunvald knew his brother’s time in the mortal coil was short. Aethelwulf was of a dying breed. Literally. Saxon blood was thinning out. When Saxons from Prussia stood next to Saxons from England, they looked very different; but a Saxon from Prussia standing next to a Prussian is almost completely indistinguishable from the other. Petty name-calling, really.

“Your majesty, a visitor to see you.”

Sviendorog looked up from his day dreaming and saw an Iberian prince before him. “Prince Muhammad Jimenez, son of the Emir of Aquitaine,” the guard said. The Prussian motioned for the guard to leave them alone.

“You know, Prince Sviendorog, we are not unalike one another. In Iberia we are called Istimari, and we are like your Prussians. Not quite Arab, not quite Berber, not quite Spanish.” The Prussian watched the Muslim Prince carefully, trying to figure him out.

CaliphoftheWestc1170.jpg

The Duchy of Aquitaine within the Caliph of Iberia

“You are here because your father fears that our claims might over lap.”

“Your power of intuition is known-world-wide. Yes. My father and his liege fear Prussian claims might overlap with our plans for the near future.”

“The Infinite War has become a messy ordeal. But my father has already given his word that the Prussians will remain out of the war. But we cannot hold that promise for England.”

“Why not?”

“We do not plan on keeping England long, we have gotten our revenge, and soon we will leave.”

Muhammad looked at Sviendorog, “Your people are rather strange. You conquer for no reason than to burn and pillage?”

“This is a rare occurrence. My people came from here. We were chased out by usurpers, and we have freed our people. And what about you? I am pretty sure that Aquitaine was never part of Arabia.”

“True, I was not born in Äkyätanyäa, I was born in the city of Leon. My ancestors were over thrown by the Berbers, and converted to Islam to remain in power. They were labeled traitors, so we left Leon to find glory in the north. As I said, we are not unalike.”

Sviendorog saw that the conversation was going nowhere, he mentally probed the Istimari man, but when he could not pin down his purpose for trying to light an argument he stood up, “Duties call, Prince Jimenez. I can guarantee Prussia will not interfere with the Caliph’s expansion, as agreed by my father.”

He began to walk away, signaling the end of the conversation, but the Prince shouted out, “Please! We wish for you to help with the invasion of France!”

Sviendorog stopped and turned around; he looked at the Prince sternly. “I cannot help you there. Only my father can decide something so extreme.”

“I am asking you, Sviendorog! King of England!”

“No, I am not King of England, nor will I ever be.” This time he left the Prince standing there and headed back into his private chambers. There Pukuveras Bryachislavich, Prince of Essex, sat seated looking at the map of his realm.

“You understand why we must do this, correct?” Sviendorog asked.

“Yes, it makes sense. Prussia is awfully far away. But why me?” the Russian asked.

“My father works in strange ways. Maybe he intends the stress from ruling a Kingdom to be a form of punishment,” the Prussian Prince sneered.

“So I will be crowned King of England?”

“Yes, and your heirs will follow suit.”

Pukuveras scratched his head, all his life he had been a drinker and a bigot. “Sviendorog, I know that your father wishes to use me to punish England. He thinks I shall destroy the country. He is probably right…” He paused and turned to face Sviendorog directly, in his eyes burned a passion that the Prussian Prince had never seen before. “I wish to make something of myself. I want to make it up to God, but especially to your father. Those two seemingly conflict, but I shall figure it out somehow.”

And that is how the first Russians entered London and picked up best pieces of real estate.

An interesting development. Depending on the quality of the court and the unruliness of Saxons and (remaining) Normans about their Russian overlords, the plan to break England could either succeed or backfire magnificently,

And that is how the first Russians entered London and picked up best pieces of real estate.

An interesting development. Depending on the quality of the court and the unruliness of Saxons and (remaining) Normans about their Russian overlords, the plan to break England could either succeed or backfire magnificently,

Because England does not play a major role in the story of Prussia, I'll admit you are partially on the ball and go on (I cannot spoil what would have never been described anyways):

By the time of this invasion parts of England were "English" already, and the parts that were Norman did revolt. Normand leaders in Wessex and Cornwall especially. Eventually Cornwall helped Ireland unit under the O'Brians and was a significant part of Ireland until England and Ireland began feuding. Eventually, what saved Russian England was a few good Kings and later a few English Kings.

Huzzahs!

Homelands
Chapter Fifteen: A Glorious Return
Part 5

Prelude:
In autumn, after much stalling and issue, King Gunvald officially made Pukuveras Bryachislavich King of England. The Bryachislavich dynasty would last until Pukuveras’s death in 1207 when he was replaced by the eldest son of his eldest daughter, Viggu Iziaslavich. The Russian dynasty in England would eventually give-way to truly native monarchy for the Island. The Russian blood was quickly thinned out by plague and marriage with local rulers and not more Russian stock, giving way to the English dynasty of the fourteenth century under Henry Iziaslavich. Until later, the Bryachislavich-Iziaslavich dynasty was far from noteworthy. Eventually they broke from the Orthodox Church to join their countrymen, conquered Wales and liberated Scotland from Islam’s grip. Their tenuous relationship with the neighboring O’Briens almost led to Ireland being reconquered by the Muslims. The O’Brien dynasty died out in the mid XIV Century after their celibate King died and a German came to the throne. Back in Prussia, things were looking shaky. War was on the horizon once again, nobles in Prussia wanted similar rights to those in England, and religious tension was on the rise once more.

August 14th, 1170

Sviendorog was glad to be back home in Memelbuhr. Very little had changed in the last few years, though the city continued to grow and Prussian continued to flourish. The language spread rapidly around the coast where Prussian traders set up shop or where the Royal domain made it the only legal language. It also spread to Kiev and Chernigov where Gunvald had set up what many called the “Southern Capital”. When Sviendorog arrived to the palace, he found his father embroiled in an argument with the Princes of the realms. They had heard stories of the system under King Pukuveras about a contract between the ruler and the ruled, but King Gunvald tried to dismiss these claims as non-sense.

Language1170.jpg

Languages of the Prussian Empire: Anglo-Baltic in Dark Red, Old Prussian in Grey, Lettish in Dark Blue, Lithuanian in Blue, Estonian in Red, Finnish in Purple, Swedish in Cyan, Polish in Green, Russian in Brown, Cumani in Dark Brown. Provinces with diagonal hashes have a large Saxon-speaking minority, provinces with vertical stripes have a large Anglo-Prussian speaking minority.

“That is final!” Gunvald shouted. Sviendorog walked over to the fight. His father sat on his throne while the petitioning nobles stood gathered around him holding a piece of paper. The Prince took the paper and unfurled it, reading the demands slowly and deliberately. Gunvald looked to him and asked his purpose.

“I shall write a compromise, father. I believe that I, having lived in England, understand this issue the best. I promise all parties involved will be happy.” He rerolled the paper and put it under his robes. The nobles seemed pleased, and Gunvald seemed worried, but his son waved the worries off saying he knew what must be done. He left quickly and said very little more. Instead he headed back to his own part of the palace where his wife and children wait for him. His two eldest sons were six and three at this point, young Valikaila and Meinekinus respectively. His wife smiled at him as he sat down with his two boys.

“We’ve been reading from the bible, haven’t we boys?” she said.

“Yes ma’am!” Valikaila answered enthusiastically. Sviendorog messed up the boy’s hair and smiled. During his time in England, Sviendorog picked up the French style of beard, cutting and trimming it down instead of leaving it full and long like his father.

“So how was England, love?” his wife asked.

“Grey. Not a particularly nice place to live. Honeywine was a bit watered down.” He pulled up one corner of his lip. “Hard to believe our ancestors chose it as a place to settle, though the history is very evident in the landscape.”

“You wrote to me about the castles being built across the lands.”

“Yes, it seems that the Normans had a bit of difficulty keeping the lands united even after Great-Great-Grandfather left the isle forever.” King Gunvald entered the room, his cloak swirling around him as he came to a stop.

“What is this you siding with the nobles over your own blood!” the King shouted.

“Father, most of them are my cousins, lastly I said I would make a compromise!”

“None of this! I rule with authority!”

“And you will. The idea is to protect the noble’s rights… it will keep them pacified!”

“Rights?! Like what? And what do I get from it?!”

“Father, I have yet to even sit down since arriving in the city!” Gunvald didn’t respond. He knew that with Aethelwulf reaching the end of his sickly life he would need Sviendorog to command his armies. Sviendorog took a few deep breaths. “The feudal contract ensures that the nobles have some rights and that in exchange for these rights their loyalty is to the King. It also ensures we can use their troops, tax their property, though allows them to have vassals of their own. It ensures that they cannot meddle with our inheritance laws, but we cannot meddle with theirs.”

“Fine. If you feel it is going to lead Prussian down the right path, it is good enough for me.”

“It will: it is a good system.” All the while Sviendorog’s wife and children remained silent. Sviendorog reached for a chair, pulled it under him and sat down. “It seems, father, that England might be under siege soon.”

“From who? Are the Normans running to their French masters?”

“Well, they did but I doubt anything from France. The Caliph seems like it is getting ready to move on the isles. A prince had approached me about whether or not we’d interfere. I told them we would not.”

“The Caliph might be biting off more than it can chew.”
“I disagree. It does not seem to be their top priority, but even so France is in utter ruin and so is England. Ireland is a bunch of bickering chiefs and Scotland is in the middle of a succession crisis.”

“They have increased their efforts in Italy as well. I would bet soon much of Europe is under the banner of Islam. They cannot hope to fight on that many fronts at once.”

“They can, there are currently three main Caliphs: Iberia, Egypt and Persia. Each one is a neigh unstoppable force compared to the divided and weak Christian Kingdoms. There is no state amongst us who can fend them off aside from us and the Romans. The Pope and scream and demand all he wants but when it boils down, the Kings will defend themselves before they defend him.”

“We shall see then, until now we shall stick by my words and remain neutral as long as they remain in Western Europe,” Gunvald said. He put a finger to his temple to think. He knew Prussia was on the verge of a noble revolt if nothing was done.

End Chapter Fifteen

oh! I got in late! But men! this is an awesome AAR. I like it, I like it allot, gonna join in now :p

You know how to write Mr. Capiatlist- you write really really well, I really enjoyed reading thus far.

can't wait for the EU3 period, you gonna take it to Ricky or stop at EU3?