• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Homelands
Chapter Fourteen: For Which He is Remembered
Part 3

Prelude:
Following the Sweden incident, Prussia’s attention turned back to Poland, now severely weakened from war and famine. Four years of peace lasted between the Invasion of Öland in 1155 and the Third Polish War in 1159. Eadbert waited for the wars in Germany to flare up once more and take the attention of Europe at large. Once again Eadbert singled out a single piece of Poland that was the goal, and his hopes were to grab it as quickly as possible and force Poland into surrendering it once again. But after the war was underway Eadbert was surprised to find an enemy ready to fight. The armies of Poland had prepared since the last war, building defenses and practicing for the inevitable Prussian invasion. As the summer wore on, Eadbert was forced to call up additional armies from the frontiers and from Estonia. In the coming year it was these fresh soldiers that would win the war for Prussia. However, as winter arrived in 1159, the two armies sat camped only miles from one another waiting for spring.

1159-1.png

Prussia and Poland in 1159 with Prussian claims in dark green.

December 15th, 1159

A bitter winter wind blew through the partially open tent flap. The three Leofricsons sat around the table map. Upright and loud was Gunvald Leofricson, heir apparent and brilliant diplomat. His older brother, Aethelwulf, stood as well, correcting his impulsive brother with his cool, collected words. Between the two of them was a monk whose eyes had growing bags and his frame thin and sickly. This was Eadbert the Cruel, King of the Prussians. He was the oldest child of Aethelweard, son of Morcar and the Orthodox ruler of much of Eastern Europe.

A young man entered wearing the trappings of a messenger. “Sires, you have been signaled under the white flag by King Jakub of Poland, he appears to be only under light guard.”

Gunvald turned to his father, whose face was darkened by the flickering flame of a candle. Eadbert looked up at the messenger and nodded, in a weak voice he said, “Let them in.” The messenger nodded and left.

Aethelwulf swallowed and said to Gunvald, “We must prop father up.”

“No, no, no… I can handle this.” Eadbert shook his head. He stood up from his chair; his lose monk’s robes hiding the true extent of his sickness. Just then Jakub entered dressed not in armor, but blankets and rags. He coughed and tried to force a smile.

“King Eadbert, I assume,” Jakub said. “I come humbly to ask if the Prussians had any spare blankets. My men freeze and the near-by towns have been deserted in the fighting.”

Gunvald opened his mouth but found it covered by Eadbert’s cold hand. “I am afraid that we suffer the same issue. We came ill prepared for this winter.”

Jakub seemed disappointed at the issue, but pleased that his nation has put up more of a fight than Prussia expected, “Then for the sake of both of us may I suggest that we retreat for the winter and rejoin here come spring?”

Aethelwulf smirked, “I will tell you now. If you retreat we will follow. My father has grown soft, but he is not senile, and I am not a going to let you weasel away.” Eadbert nodded. Unknown to Jakub, the Prussians had supply lines moving in as they spoke. They brought with them food, clothes, weapons, blankets, tents and the necessary equipment to end the war come spring. More importantly the brought more troops from the north, ready to fight and end this round of the contest once and for all.

Last edited:
I just noticed something.... Leofricsons seem to be quite "bastardless"...

Well, Stop playing with my poor countrymen and annex them finnaly.

Sorry Vesimir, it ends up taking two wars after this one. The lack of bastards is due to two things: first I often rejected the making of bastards (my court was often densely packed), also those that did exist were of not of importance.

I plan to get a few updates out today in celebration of the fourth.

Last edited:
Homelands
Part 4

Prelude:
The coming of spring did not yield the defeat of Poland. Instead it just resumed the cat and mouse games that hard started last year. Aethelwulf sought a decisive victory over the Polish and found none. But Jakub could not run forever and finally was caught outside of Krakow. The bloody battle outside the Polish capital left many dead. Once again Poland was without hope or allies in a war against the ever growing rival. The noble court of Poland removed their faith in Jakub and signed a peace out from underneath their King. Jakub was without right or privilege. Instead, he took up refuge in Silesia, his homelands, and declared himself King. Prussia now made an uneasy truce with Poland in order to chase down the rogue King. By September Jakub was captured and his small Kingdom was re-annexed to Poland. And with that the Polish-Prussian truce ended, and the two went back to their saber rattling.

October 27th, 1160

The victories over Jakub in Silesia were short lived for Gunvald and Aethelwulf. Their father lay in Marienscír as his father once had, waiting for the end. He was joined only by the two sons he had kept close to him. The rest of his family was now estranged and sent in semi-exile to rule over poor, desolate Russian territories. So, with only his two sons to comfort him, he began his confession. Gunvald brought a priest and Eadbert repented his sins, as many as he could remember. He had joined the monastery to being the process, but now he must complete it.

“Gunvald, you as my heir must be ready to accept the crown. I want you to stay with me here until it is over. Aethelwulf, please return to Memelbuhr and rule for the time being. We trust you in the time. Bless you child.” Eadbert placed his hand on Aethelwulf’s forehead. Tears streamed down his son’s eyes as he nodded and readied to leave. Once Aethelwulf left the room, the dying King reached out and pulled Gunvald closer.

“Father, what is it?”

“By the time Aethelweard leaves this city, you’ll be king, so listen close. I have made many enemies in the world, but it will be you who will have to withstand their wrath. Now, keep Aethelwulf close, he will be the key for these next few years in defeating Prussia’s enemies. But before you do anything, strike Poland one more time. Weaken them so they cannot strike into us while we are distracted. That is the only rule. Do not let them regain their standing in the world.”

“I will do just that father.”

“And Gunvald, I have a gift for you.” The aging King pointed to the largest chest at the foot of his bed. Gunvald opened it as instructed and inside found a large, bound book. Runæshaná shev Baltikjá.

“Tevá! Paldátu!” Gunvald exclaimed. He opened the book and saw the meticulously drawn and etched pages his father had poured his life into. He looked up and saw his father smiling proudly.

“You’re welcome. And you’ll be proud to know that I’ve had an underling copy each page as I finished it. The book is now being copied by the monks in my old monastery. A few copies here and there will help your language bloom. I hate to say it, but the Saxons are old-fashioned, Gunvald.”

“What do you mean, father?” Gunvald asked returning to his father’s side.

“We Saxons were invaders, we tried to settle the lands, but we were outnumbered. Our blood is diluted. Only the elite has managed to keep its blood mostly pure, but even so many of my children, you and Aethelwulf included are half-bloods. Part Saxon, part native. That is the future of this country.”

“We have been forged as our own people.”

“Yes, Gunvald. And you shall be their King. Gunvald,” Eadbert coughed quietly.

“Yes?”

“I have one favour for you to do for me before you die…”

“What is it?”

“Write a letter to the Caliph of Iberia, plead to him: have him return Aelle’s body so it may be buried beside my own.”

Eadbert slipped from the waking world that night. Aethelwulf, who was barely at the city gate, was called back by runners. The reign of Eadbert the Cruel was over. In later years he would be known as Eadbert the Saved, the first native Saint of Prussia. But for the people who lived under him, it was his war with Poland for which he was remembered.

1160-1.png

Prussia at the death of King Eadbert I Leofricson

Last edited:
Homelands
Part 5

Prelude:
It had become a sort of tradition for Prussian Kings to die in Marienscír. And in some ways it was a convenience for the next of Kin. All Leofricson Kings (including those who were not King of Prussia) were buried in the crypts under the Marienscír Cathedral. By the XV Century there were two Kings and several Emperors entombed there who had not ruled Prussia. Gunvald was crowned in front of a massive audience. His status within the Kingdom rivaled that of a deity. Many saw him as a King of the people. He spoke their tongue and pushed its usage in everyday life amongst the churches and the markets. It was during this time, though, that the Leofricson dynasty was severely severed into two man branches. The first was the Prussian Branch, known as the main branch of succession for the Kings of Prussia. The second was the Saxon Branch, which would later be known as the Roman Branch. In 1160 the head of the Saxon Branch was Aethelmaer Leofricson, eventual Greek saint and the grandfather of the first Saxon Emperor of the Roman Empire, Beornwulf. Splitting the family farther and farther apart was everything from wealth, status, language and intrigue.

Dynasties.png

The lands of the major lines of Prussian nobility. Medium red is the Prussian Line, Blue is the Saxon Line (not yet the Roman), Light Red is minor cadet branches of either, Darkest Red is lands not ruled by a member of the Leofricson dynasty by father-to-son succession.

June 3rd, 1162

King Gunvald watched as a large ship pulled into the harbor. From its sails streamed large green banners. It was a beautiful ship, and probably the only of its kind that would grace grey and cloudy Memelbuhr. On board was a very special cargo bound for Marienscír, it was the remains of Aelle Leofricson. Gunvald took little time in fulfilling the dying wish of his father. The Caliph of Iberia had at firs protested, saying that the body had been entombed alongside other fallen heroes of the wars. He said that his father in the afterlife would be insulted by the move, but Gunvald reasoned that it was a father’s wish to have his son buried beside him as an act of forgiveness, and the Caliph relented, agreeing that a father’s wish does supersede the current circumstance. For their effort, Gunvald promised five of his best horses and the promise to not get involved with the Infinite War.

Gunvald.jpg

King Gunvald I Leofricson

Outside the body was handled very carefully, and the Moorish crew picked up the trade for their time. Gunvald, however, insisted that the captain stay the night as his personal guest. The captain agreed, and the crew took lodging in the ship. Through a translator Gunvald spoke highly of the Caliph, thanking him for coming to reason and allowing a son to be buried by a father. The captain agreed, but also noted that the Caliph was sad to see Aelle go, for he was known as a fierce and noble warrior in Iberia and a hero to both sides. And the current Caliph, a young boy during the war, had grown up on stories of Aelle’s heroism. Impressed, Gunvald asked if the captain knew any of the stories.

“You see, your brother arrived in Iberia seeking his own fortune, not that of one church or another. He arrived in Bilbao, the city of the Vasques. They were originally a Christian people, but by the time Aelle arrived they had almost entirely converted to Islam. Unlike the French and the Danes and the Germans when he arrived he did not try to convert the masses or kill people based on petty things, instead he found himself free. Free from Denmark, free from his past, free from his failures. He raised an army that contained as many Vasques as it did Christians, and began fighting where there was fight. Soon he had amassed a large realm, and his people sought to crown him King. His crown was topped with a Cross and a Crescent. He tried to broker a peace between the Caliph’s grandfather and the Danish and Germans. He tried to end the fighting. The Caliph agreed, and the four Kings met in Barcelona. But the Christian Kings sought only treachery. The killed the old ruler, and as he lay dying Aelle drew sword against his fellow Christians. Your majesty, what you have been told is not completely true. Your brother, Aelle, did die trying to take Zaragoza. But he didn’t die trying to take it for Denmark, he died trying to take it from Denmark.”

Gunvald was shaken by this story. “Really? Fighting against Denmark?!”

“Yes, he was a hero to people of all faiths, because he saw through the tapestry. He judged people not by which direction the prayed, but if they backed up their faith in actions. He was not an enemy of Islam or of Christianity, good King; he was an enemy of evil.”

End Chapter Fourteen

Last edited:
And that is all for tonight. Thank you everyone for your views, for the awards, and have a joyous Independence Day, or otherwise a great weekend. I shall return sometime later this week with more updates. But right now we are out of salsa and chips!

A brilliant set of updates there; the passing of Eadbert was well portrayed and really conveyed the emotion between the three top dogs.

I have to admit, despite his earlier actions, my opinion on Eadbert really changed towards the end there. He wasn't a brilliant ruler in my opinion, but he was lucky to have two talented sons in both martial and diplomatic affairs, and he did well to appoint them as he did.

A nice recount of Aelle's story too; as Enewald said, it's prime material for a good story or two.

I am curious though, perhaps I missed it, but what happened to Gunvald's mother? Has she died, or is she still hanging around somewhere?

Anyway, as I said, brilliant updates. I look forward to seeing how Gunvald runs the kingdom, and how this new schism in the family will effect Prussia's future.

One could write a long story of Aelles voyages in Iberia.
A local hero and more.
Hated by both sides in some amounts.

More more more more!
The story of Aelle was mostly for you, but I guess I can slip some more in during short chapters in the future.

A brilliant set of updates there; the passing of Eadbert was well portrayed and really conveyed the emotion between the three top dogs.

I have to admit, despite his earlier actions, my opinion on Eadbert really changed towards the end there. He wasn't a brilliant ruler in my opinion, but he was lucky to have two talented sons in both martial and diplomatic affairs, and he did well to appoint them as he did.

A nice recount of Aelle's story too; as Enewald said, it's prime material for a good story or two.

I am curious though, perhaps I missed it, but what happened to Gunvald's mother? Has she died, or is she still hanging around somewhere?

Anyway, as I said, brilliant updates. I look forward to seeing how Gunvald runs the kingdom, and how this new schism in the family will effect Prussia's future.
Eadbert definitely went through a transformation, both in-game and in-story. I liked his character a lot, he goes from a self-centered, loathing child to a scared and sick old man. With Aethelwulf and Gunvald, each with a huge score in their respective ability and each the master of their field through learning they quickly were able to expand Prussia.

The mother eventually did die, but she fell out of favour with Eadbert after the death of Aelle which he originally blames on her, and then later blames on himself.

Even more than Eadbert, Gunvald's reign is marked by war. And the schism does not yield much until later in the 1220's when the Saxon line becomes the Roman Emperor. It means the two countries are closer than ever. The interesting thing is that Aethelmaer is one of the (very limited) actual Saints in the Leofricson family, which I thought was interesting.

I'll get some more out today, I am in a very writey mood. (This AAR is now 84 actual pages long whoo!)

W00t! More writing from you is always good!

Aelle's dead and his story's been told.

Forth Prussia! That's the next chapter of the story!

Please do make a few updates about Aelle! He was really cool and now that I know he was a visionary about religion I like him even more!

Aelle's dead and his story's been told.

Forth Prussia! That's the next chapter of the story!

These two are a bit conflicting, and I am biased to agree that Aelle's story has been told, and though I might save more for a rainy day, it is time to move on.

As for the update, I have one in the works, I am just house hunting for next year's accomidations as to get a jump on everyone else. Plus homework has been a pain. :wacko:

Hello, I am getting back to work on the upcoming update, but before I do I wanted to post this guide to reading the lettering of Anglo-Prussia. This is the first step of many to eventually having the dialog mostly in anglo-prussian.

The alphabet in Anglo-Prussian includes some letters without latin equivalent. These letters are represented with capital letters. This is okay because anglo-prussian in its native form does not have major or minor letters, ie everything is in "lower case." Here is a quick guide and some pronounciation rules as well as examples:

English | A-P | A-P Latin | Pronouciation
a | α | a | - ay
á | ά | á | - ah
æ | e | æ | - eh
b | β | b | - /b/
c | c | c | - /ch/ or /hk/
d | δ | d | - /d/
e | ε | e | - /ee/
f | ф | f | - /f/
g | γ | g | - /g/ or /dj/
h | ϯ | h | - /h/
i | ι | i | - /ih/
j | ԓ | j | - /y/ or /dj/
k | ϟ | k | - /k/
l | λ | l | - /l/
m | μ | m | - /m/
n | ν | n | - /n/
o | ο | o | - oh
ó | ό | ó | - oo
p | π | p | - /p/
r | ρ | r | - /r/
s | σ | s | - /s/ or /z/
sh | ϛ | S | - /sh/
t | τ | t | - /t/
th | θ | T | - /th/
u | у | u | - uh
v | w | v | - /v/ or /w/
z | z | z | - /ts/

On top of this there are two types of vowels, hard and soft. The hard vowels are æ, i, and u. The soft vowels are a, á, e, o and ó. There are also three diphthongs, or vowel sounds made up of combinations of other vowels. They are:
eu,εy - /you/ (soft)
oi,oι - /oi/ (hard)
ie,ιε - /eye/ (hard)

Consonants with two sounds differ in sound based after the preceding vowel:
c,c -
/hk/ after hard, as in the 'ch' in Chanukkah
/ch/ after soft, as in the 'ch' in Church
g,γ -
/dj/ after hard, as in the 'g' in College
/g/ after soft, as in the 'g' in Group
s,σ -
/s/ after hard, as in the 's' in Silence
/z/ after soft, as in the 'z' in Zebra
v,w -
/v/ after hard, as in the 'v' in Video
/w/ after soft, as in the 'w' in Wide

The letter Jut, j or ԓ has two sounds based on the letter that follows it:
/dj/ before hard, as in the 'j' in Judge
/y/ before soft, as in the 'j' in the German Junge

Here is some practice Anglo-Prussian (in all three spellings):
Practice.png

Last edited:
Homelands
Chapter Fifteen: A Glorious Return
Part 1

Prelude:
King Gunvald was quick to expand Prussia’s borders into Poland as his father had suggested. But unlike what his father suggested he took off a massive bite, forever hindering Poland from rebuilding. Back in Prussia, Orthodoxy continued its spread throughout. The increased number of Catholics did nothing to stop the dwindling number of Pagans left in the nation. In Poland, missionaries and priests found mixed resistance. Some regions were converted easily, and others with extreme difficulty and time. Under Gunvald’s rule the Baltic people began culturally merging into one homogenous group. For the first time a city had a majority of Anglo-Prussia speakers, and the language was spreading quickly through contact and its usage by merchants. But its biggest user was the King himself, who spoke as much of it as possible and made his nobles do the same.

August 7th, 1165

“særs, se polæn atkápief rietemæn,” a commander told Gunvald.

“labs. izsutás se kalps án krákográd.”

“lásærs!” The man turned to leave, but Gunvald caught him quickly.

“hwæt! máchás dross, ka hie se grád næ gráóf.”

“lásærs sinik!” Gunvald nodded his head and the commander rode off.

Aethelwulf pulled on his beard, “Brother… why is it that you’ll burn cities off the map, but you are so obsessed about leaving Cracow intact?”

“Crush their morals. I will make Cracow a Prussian city, even if it means I have to scatter the Poles around the world to do it. With their historical capital under my control and filled with my people a rebellion will be much harder to cement.”

Aethelwulf nodded. The two brothers watched as the Prussian soldiers entered Cracow with no difficulty. The city still had the pockmarks and craters from the last invasion. Before long a large white banner was hosted above the capital and Gunvald led his guard down into the city. There his victorious troops were agitated that they could not loot and pillage as they had before. But Gunvald ensured them that they would get their due reward in time. As he rode in, they bowed, many kneeling before their King and their Marshal. At the center of town was the King of Poland, Jakub.

“Ah, King Gunvald. When last I saw you yo…”

“Quiet yourself in the presence of your master.” Gunvald waved a hand in Jakub’s direction. Despite his better judgment, Jakub quieted, bowing his head in shame. The Prussian King surveyed his surroundings. “I assume you’ve had time to read my demands.”

“I have.”

“And where do you stand?”

“Both are despicable. Surrender all my land or surrender my crown? Do you truly give me a choice?” Jakub spat.

“No, but that is the beauty of the plan. What is more important to you, Jakub? Cracow or the crown?” Gunvald asked.

“What is more important to you, Prussian?”

“And that is also the beauty of it… they are of equal importance to me.” Jakub lamented. “To be fair, Jakub… I am letting you live, and if you give me the crown, you’d be safe as well as my vassal. So the real question is do you want to be invaded again?”

“You can have the damn city! I am keeping the Crown of the Republic! You’ll see! We’ll have our revenge! We shall find allies in the coming years!”

“Fine, you do that.” Jakub was led away, given a horse and sent to his new realm in Silesia. As Gunvald had hoped; few recognized Jakub as King of Poland now that he controlled no territory historically associated with Poland. Instead they referred to him as King of Silesia, an almost mocking title. Even so, Gunvald would have to defeat the small Kingdom one more time to make his victory complete. But for now, he had other plans.

1165.png

Map of Prussia and Poland in 1165, Red is Prussia, Green is Poland, Dark Green is territory ceded to Prussia

Will there be translations included of Anglo-Prussian speech in the story, for those of us who aren't so linguistically inclined?