• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Mr. Capiatlist: The lenght of your updates has been perfect; enough text to be able to tell a tale and develop the characters of the main roles.

Great update

If you grow big you must re-take England from the Normans in the following generations

You've inspired me to try my hand in Prussia. :D

I started the game as the Duchy of Normandy, invaded Prussia, took Marienburg and Chelminskie, and granted them to a de Toeny. Then I reloaded as the Count de Toeny of Marienburg and Chelminskie There were some very hard years where I coulnt make any money because my provinces refused to convert and the damn English King was extorting me. Eventually England suffered a series of rapid succession crises which allowed me to break away.

I control the two provinces I started with in addition to Sambia and Galindia, which allowed me to declare myself Duke of Prussia!

The year is 1145, I'm making about 15 gold a month, and I see a bright future for the Duchy of Prussia. :cool:

You've inspired me to try my hand in Prussia. :D

I started the game as the Duchy of Normandy, invaded Prussia, took Marienburg and Chelminskie, and granted them to a de Toeny. Then I reloaded as the Count de Toeny of Marienburg and Chelminskie There were some very hard years where I coulnt make any money because my provinces refused to convert and the damn English King was extorting me. Eventually England suffered a series of rapid succession crises which allowed me to break away.

I control the two provinces I started with in addition to Sambia and Galindia, which allowed me to declare myself Duke of Prussia!

The year is 1145, I'm making about 15 gold a month, and I see a bright future for the Duchy of Prussia. :cool:
Awesome. Glad to be such an inspiration. Next update late tonight or tomorrow evening.

Homelands
Chapter One: The Trials of Morcar
Part 3

Prelude:
The English Civil war of 1067 was a long and drawn out war. With sides constantly shifting and power shifting from Lancaster in the Saxon-controlled region and Canterbury, the capital William de Normandie’s England. In 1070 France re-committed to the cause of William and his heirs, sending some 10,000 soldiers northward. It struck the death-knell for the Saxons and their cause, but it would prove to bring lasting stability back to the Isles. Morcar the Exile attempted one last push to retake Northumbria, but it was for naught. His brother Edwin fled to Scotland, and later to Denmark. The last Saxon Earl surrendered in 1072 and assumed a life of exile in Norway. Many lesser nobles headed to Marienscír in order to take advantage of the relative stability and wealth of the small Saxon enclave.

June 3rd, 1071

Some 8,000 Prussian and Saxon soldiers sailed ashore at East Anglia. They were under the command of Aethelstan of Durham, who had commanded the Prussian divisions during the wars against Sambia and Sagomitia. He had led the successful attacks against the Sambians and helped found Cyningscír after the original settlement was burned by the attacking pagans. The Saxon Earls were unhappy when they found that Morcar had not come himself. Edwin, Morcar’s brother and Earl of Mercia, confronted Aethelstan.

“Where is my brother?”

“You brother has taken ill, and regrettably cannot participate in the campaign at the current time.”

“My brother dares send a lacky to do his work?”

“I do not appreciate being downgraded to a lacky. I have served honorably and victoriously for your brother, and I shall do the same here. Now, how do we stand?”

“We have 15,000 to their 10,000.”

“Those are good odds; we march to meet the Normans tomorrow.”

“I am in command here! I say we march north, and forget an attack on Essex!”

“I don’t care what you do, we Prussians are marching tomorrow to meet the Normans.”

And so it was, Edwin’s army marched north and the following day Aethelstan and Morcar’s troops marched west to attack the 10,000 Normans guarding the capital of East Anglia. The resulting battle of Norfolk left 3,000 Normans dead as the Prussians attacked during the night, burning much of the city to the ground. The Normans retreated to Essex with the Prussians on their heels. At the city of London, the 7,000 surviving Normans met up with Phillip’s army from France. The Franco-Norman army of almost 20,000 quickly dispatched Aethelstan and his Prussians. From London the Prussians marched to Northampton where they were beaten again. Morale within the Saxon armies was falling quickly, so Aethelstan marched east where it met a small detachment of William’s Army on the Ouse River. The resulting battle there was short and lead to a solid victory, recovering the sinking morale of the Saxon armies.
Aethelstan marched west, following the detachment back to William’s army. At Nottingham Aethelstan met with William de Normandie, King of England.

“Saxon, you come from nowhere and attempt to sack my capital. Your army runs rampant through my country side salting the land and stampeding the cattle. Why do you do these things to my land?”

“Your land? This is no land of yours. You come here seeking fame and glory and power and all those things that can never make up for your status as a bastard. This is my land. I was born here. My father was born here. My father’s father was born here. I have tilled these fields: My sons were born in these cities. This is my land. This is Saxon land.”

“You insult my name!”

“Your name is already an insult where I come from.”

The two men departed and waged battle the next day. 6,000 Prussians fought 8,000 Normans, and the Prussians won. William fled the battle as his army scattered and rode west with the Prussians following him. In September of 1071 Aethelstan and William met again, only now the Norman had met up with another army and the French. The combined army of William was almost 20,000 strong. Aethelstan and the few allies he was able to gather numbered 12,000. The battle of Shrewsbury lasted five days. Each day saw a different victor emerge from the carnage, but in the end the Saxons did not have the man power, and they retreated north to York.

BattleforEngland.png

The battles for England, yellow shows a victory and red shows a loss.

The Normans followed Aethelstan all the way back to York, and laid siege to the tiny city Kingdom. Aethelstan saw the day was lost, and saw fit to spare the lives of his men and the citizens of York. He surrendered to William on December 13th, 1071 and on January 1st, 1072 Morcar surrendered all of his land and titles to William the Conqueror. William was reported on commenting:

“I had no idea where they sailed too and where they sailed from to return. But I did watch them sail away a second time, and I saw in their eyes not defeat but almost… relief. As if I had cut some cord attaching them to the uterus of England. They were free that day, and I saw it in their face. They had lost the war but had won their freedom. This is what confuses me about Morcar and his Saxons.”

Nice try, but in the end it's futile. I take the words of William are somewhat modified. It doesn't sound like something William would say.

Interesting. Great update.

Having cut their ties to England will certainly make life a bit less stressful for Morcar's lot, but they cant just forget their homeland, the homeland of their forefathers as far back as before the Saxons left the shores of northwestern Germany.

Hmm. Upon further reflection, it doesnt seem as if the Saxons have been in Britain all too long, but still. A new homeland, it seems. How appropriate. ;)

Excellent update. I've no doubt that the Prussians will return again one day, but only when they have built up a powerbase that will make victory certain.
You shall see, I however already know! :cool:

Nice try, but in the end it's futile. I take the words of William are somewhat modified. It doesn't sound like something William would say.
I am not a fan of William myself... but I tried to be dramatic. Imagine him saying it in between mouthfuls of deer meat and taxes.

Interesting. Great update.

Having cut their ties to England will certainly make life a bit less stressful for Morcar's lot, but they cant just forget their homeland, the homeland of their forefathers as far back as before the Saxons left the shores of northwestern Germany.

Hmm. Upon further reflection, it doesnt seem as if the Saxons have been in Britain all too long, but still. A new homeland, it seems. How appropriate. ;)
The Saxons had England long enough to name it after themselves and kick out many of the Celts... but alas... the Normanisation has already begun!

Free of the problems of anglia, nay.
How soon shall you return?
The land of saxons needs her saviour!
I have no idea when next a Saxon King shall rule over England, only time will tell.

And of course, thanks to everyone for the kind words of encouragement.

A Valentines Day Gift

Homelands
Chapter One: The Trials of Morcar
Part Four

Prelude:
In 1072 Morcar Leofricson was no longer an Earl; he had been demoted to Count. The County of Marienscír was deep within the political intrigues of the Baltic Sea. Politics were caught between religion and bloodlines. To the south the mighty Kingdom of Poland was the biggest influence in the immediate area. To the north were the surviving Pagan tribes, including Kurs, Livonia, Estonia, Lithuania and the Finnish tribes. East were the Russians, semi-civilized they would prove to be good allies for the Saxons. And across the Baltic was Scandinavia, dominated by the Kingdoms of Norway and Sweden. At the time Morcar was an aging elder, invalid because of illness and injury, he spent most of his days in Castle Marienscír.

April 28th, 1072

Morcar’s eldest son was only three. Aethelweard Leofricson was born in Marienscír as was his older sister; the sole heirs of Morcar the Exile. On good days the Count could sit upright and he could talk to his son. The small child could not understand his father, but the old Saxon hoped some of it would stick. Arrangements had already been made for the accent of the small boy. Aethelstan, the proud and honorable warrior was to be the regent of Aethelweard.

“My small son, this castle will be yours one day. And one day it shall be your son’s. And his son’s and his son’s for all eternity.”

At the time Marienscír was just a medium-sized fishing village. A few thousand people lived in around the main city. The vast majority were Saxon warriors who had fled with Morcar. Prussian men had been pushed out, but their women were allowed to stay.

All the while Aethelstan was attempting to gain support from the Saxon nobility in Prussia to ensure a safe transfer of power. He had been born to farming peasants, and lived to serve his liege. He had excelled in battle as a warrior as well as a commander. But Saxon nobility was always looking for a chance to grab power for themselves. A regent was only an excuse to usurp power for themselves, with the only real motive being greed and lust for power. Aethelstan’s biggest ally was Alfred, a former Baron in Mercia. Alfred helped ensure the loyalty of the Saxon nobles to Aethelweard and Aethelstan.

“Aethelstan, the majority of nobles have faith in you and the son of Morcar to lead us back to prosperity.”

“And the minority who don’t being in me?”

“Have too little power to matter: boot scrappers at the bottom of the ladder.”

“I am worried that I cannot hold the territory together. I am a general, not a stateman.”

“Aethelstan, slayer of Normans, we are Saxons and they are Prussians. Might is power. The only thing a real Saxon Baron or a Prussian Chief truly respects is force of arms.”

“Then what should we do?”

“Aethelstan, the point is clear. Do as a general does. Attack our foes, and keep the nobility happy with expansion and new castles. Wage war against the pagans.”

“Wage war? That I can do. Yes, we shall wage war with the grace of Morcar and his small son!”

So Aethelstan went to his liege, who at this point was on his death bed, surrounded by his small family.

“Aethelstan, you come to me out of breath… what perils face us now?”

“None my liege, I come only to speak with you one final time, please I wish to wage war against the pagans in the name of you and your son and our people. I wish to undo the dishonor I have cast upon us in England.”

“Aethelstan… you are a faithful general but more importantly: a loyal friend and it is for that reason alone I have made you my son’s regent. Do as you must, you have my permission and my son’s to bring honor back to our people. Wage your war so that we might have peace.”

Aethelstan took hold of the small boy and brought him over to his father. Morcar smiled under blood stained lips and touched the small boy.

“Worry not, my small child. You are in good hands.”

Morcar shut his eyes one last time and his face assumed a quiet and peaceful look. His wife wept quietly as did Aethelstan. The Count of Marienscír squirmed under the shirt of the large man who was holding him. Aethelweard Leofricson was now the sole ruler of the Saxons.

BaldursPyre.jpg

The funeral pyre of Morcar Leofricson, more commonly called Morcar the Exile.

End Chapter One

His son does not understand saxon?
Omg!
Hehe, driving the prussian males out, keeping the woman.
I think there is even a word for that too, gendercide? :D

His son does not understand saxon?
Omg!
Hehe, driving the prussian males out, keeping the woman.
I think there is even a word for that too, gendercide? :D

I have no idea, normally I would try to make a "Once you go Saxon" pun, but I am not really into that kinda stuff. :p

His as for Aethelweard (the son) he can't understand his father because he's three. If I was three and my dad came up to to me and said, "Hey I am going to die, but no worries now you are King! Kthnxbai" I probably wouldn't understand.

I would. :D
And then respond 'yay!'
It is easy to understand saxon, it's like someone is trying to speak german and english at the same time while being horribly drunk. :rofl:

Hwæt! Hú bist þé? :p

Yikes, I speak American English natively and a fair bit of German but I have no idea what any of those words are, except for bist.

Excellent update! I had to read the last paragraph twice, I thought at first that it was Morcar who was squirming. :D