• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Eadbert is a little of a bit madman. good update

Finland had maybe a population of 50k at those times. :p
Great tax income I guess. Well, everyone loves squirrel furs. :cool:

He can't be that bad, a ruler needs to be harsh at harsh times, and when the prosperous times come, he can be a bit less harsh.
Harshness is needed from rulers.
But not madness.

But by now you have hegemony over Baltic, which is awesome.

May the Viking pillages, this time started by prussians, begin?
A state so close to the sea must abuse it.

Finland had maybe a population of 50k at those times. :p
Great tax income I guess. Well, everyone loves squirrel furs. :cool:

He can't be that bad, a ruler needs to be harsh at harsh times, and when the prosperous times come, he can be a bit less harsh.
Harshness is needed from rulers.
But not madness.

But by now you have hegemony over Baltic, which is awesome.

May the Viking pillages, this time started by prussians, begin?
A state so close to the sea must abuse it.

Eadbert is definitely not just a harsh ruler, but he ended up reforming. His traits during this time period included cruel, suspicious, and hostile.

As much as I would like to go a-viking trouble began to brew in the south and east, so that is where Prussia moved its attention.

Homelands
Chapter Nine: Storm Clouds
Part 2

Prelude:
The invasion of Finland gained Prussia very little. Even though they had captured some of the most densely inhabited areas, the population there was too small to be good recruiting ground. Economically the invasion was a failure, and Leofwine Leofricson could not turn Finland around to make any sort of profit. Eadbert knew this all too well, and had given his brother a task that he would fail at to find good cause to banish him from the Kingdom. Leofwine had a great deal of support within the ranks of the nobles; and Eadbert knew that in time the nobles would put Leofwine on the throne and end his own reign. Eadbert acted quickly and without mercy.

April 12th, 1125

Reko of Viborg sat quietly in the throne room of Eadbert Leofricson. Reko had been a Finnish chief, but had converted to the Orthodox faith in order to gain Eadbert’s support and eventually the crown of Finland. The current Count of Finland, Count Leofwine Leofricson was headed to the palace at that very moment, summoned by Eadbert. Reko sat quietly, because to speak to the King was a crime punishable by death, or worse. Instead he sat there quietly until he specifically heard his name mentioned. He knew that Eadbert had already signed the orders banishing Leofwine and his family from the Kingdom forever. However, he also knew that Leofwine’s wife had been raped and killed in the process, and at least one son was missing, probably secreted away by guards loyal to Leofwine.

“Tell me, Reko, what is it you plan to do with Finland once I give it to you?”

“Well sir, I plan to expand the forestries of Finland, supplying Prussia and Europe with the highest quality timber we can grow. And with it, if his lordship so chooses, we could build a massive fleet, or a thousand trebuchets, or whatever his lordship asked.”

“Good, good. We shall count on Finland to control the rivers and seas of Russia.”

“Very good, my lord, if you so wish I can have designs from my native lands brought down for your inspection.”

“No, I already have designs from Russia.”

“Excellent choice, King, Russian engineers know their riverboats.” Reko became nervous; Eadbert was playing mind games with him. He was trying to force him to make a mistake. Reko grew silent again as Eadbert turned his attention to an incoming guard.

“Is he here?!”

“Yes, my lord. Your brother, Leofwine, has arrived.”

“Excellent, show him in! Show him in!”

Reko had already noticed that Eadbert was only truly happy when he had a chance to be cruel. The Finnish man worried where the rule of Eadbert was leading Prussia and now Finland.

“My lord, you have requested my presence. I came as quickly as I could.”

“Yes, Leofwine, I have news for you,” Eadbert said, handing the banishment orders to Leofwine. “You’ll find that I’ve already gone ahead and banished your family for you. I’ve moved them to Denmark for the time being, though I assume they will not want you for very long.”

“Wha-? M-m-my lord? W-what have I done to deserve this?”

“You have failed your Kingdom in bringing prosperity to Finland; you have failed to up hold your place as a Leofricson! No you shall leave his nation at once and never step foot inside it again! Do you hear me, brother?!”

“I hear you! I hear you clear! You have become a monster! You failed father’s dream!”

“Monster?!” Eadbert shouted, he pulled a knife from its sheath and grabbed the Leofwine’s right hand. On its index finger was the signet ring made for the Count of Finland. With his knife he cut the finger and the ring off, thereby removing Leofwine as Count. “That shall teach you to speak like that to your superiors!”

Leofwine blacked out from the pain and the bleeding and Eadbert erupted into laughter. His guards carried the body to the docks to have him shipped to Denmark. The King removed the ring from the severed finger and walked over to Reko, who was trying not to be sick.

“Reko of Viborg, take this ring and with it you shall be Count of Finland, Vassal of the Kingdom of Prussia! Rise and accept your title!”

Reko stood up slowly, and accepted the ring with a deep bow, “Thank you, my lord, you are very kind and gracious.”

“I know I am, Reko.”

Wow. This guy is a raving lunatic. This guy will not last. :eek:

Hmm, soon there'll be some rebellion against him. But one can not win royal armies. :p
Yeah, Finnish turn Vikings and conquer Russia?
Awesome!

Wow. This guy is a raving lunatic. This guy will not last. :eek:

Eadbert is very much like Ivan IV of Russia. He is mad, and hated by the nobility, but the people love him for his conquest and treatment of their enemies.

Homelands
Part 3

Prelude:
1127 was a momentous year for Prussia. While Eadbert celebrated the birth of his first son with his fourth wife, the Prussian military scored a dramatic victory over the Count of Plock. The small county had succeeded from Poland during one of Poland’s many brief civil wars following the death of their King. While the Polish contenders for the throne fought for control, Prussia slipped in and grabbed the Polish province, securing their southern border with Great Poland by means of the Vistula River. Eadbert’s heir at the time was Aelle. Aelle had just turned 18, and was wed to the daughter of the Rurikovich line in Estonia. The rivalry between Aelle and his newest brother was mostly fed by his step-mother, but also by upbringing and race.

March 12th, 1127

Eadbert sat with his fourth wife, Imela as she cradled their son in her arms. Imela enjoyed the peace she was having with Eadbert, whom she loved despite his anger and lack of enthusiasm toward her. If only she could stay alive, she would make sure this small child would grow to be King of Prussia.

“My lord, may I name our small son? He takes after my father, and it is custom amongst my family to name a child after the dearly deceased.”

Eadbert was caught off guard, he himself had been thinking up strong Saxon names to give the boy, but he consented, “Yes, my dear, you may name our son.”

“I name him Gunvald, after my beloved father.”

Eadbert swished the name around in his head. “Yes… a fine name,” he said. Imela smiled broadly as she cradled small Gunvald in her arms. “I am leaving it to you to raise the boy; my other sons require much attention from their father.”

“Yes, they must cling dearly to their father, now that their mother’s have moved on.”

“Yes, verily.”

At that time Aelle walked into the room, in his arm he held a knight’s helmet. “Father, the battle is won; Ploch has been secured for the Leofricson dynasty.” The boy dropped to one knee as he waited his father’s response. Aelle was much a taken by chivalry and the idea of knightly honor.

“Ah! Honor and glory to us all!” Eadbert said.

Aelle stood up and noticed Imela with the small baby, “And who is that?”

“That is Gunvald, your newest brother,” Eadbert said.

“Hrmph,” was Aelle’s only audible reply.

“Ah, but Aelle, we have much to do! Tomorrow I shall crown you Count of Plock, Prince of Lithuania, Heir to Prussia! We have much to do!”

“Thank you father, this truly is an honor!”

“Yes, very much. We are very proud of you,” Imela said. She steamed on the inside. Aelle was a master tactician and chivalrous knight, but he lacked understanding. He lacked knowledge. He floated around on his ego, driven only by personal glory and nepotism. He had many friends, and she knew that if he were to become King, each would have some title. He had no connection to the people. She watched his with them; they were all ants to him. She looked down at her son. He was a small shimmer of light in the future of Prussia.

When Eadbert and Aelle left to discuss plans, her chambermaid came in and offered to take the baby.

“No, my dear,” Imela said. “This one is more precious to me than my own blood. Mark my words, one day this one will sit on the throne of Prussia. And his will sit on half the thrones of Europe.”

Homelands
Part 4

Prelude:
Håkon, King of Norway was the ambitious leader of the “Kalmar Union,” a decentralized alliance of the three Scandinavian nations: Denmark, Sweden and Norway. Other nations aligned with the Union included Iceland, The Isles, and Orkney. King Håkon wanted to unite Finland under his rule, and then expand into Russia. The Union believed that the lands of the Rus were rightfully the lands of Scandinavians. In 1126 he invaded Finland in order to cut off the future expansion of Prussia. On the other side of the Baltic, the nations of Poland, Prussia and Kiev-Novgorod felt that Håkon meant to use the combined forces of the Union nations to invade and subjugate their nations. In 1127 the rulers met in person to discuss a union of their own.

1127.jpg

Grey-Blue: Denmark
Light Blue: Norway
Dark Blue: Sweden
Green: Poland
Dark Green: Galich (by 1128 a vassal of Prussia)
Red: Prussia
Gold: Kiev-Novgorod

August 19th, 1127

In Marienscír four rulers met to discuss the future of the Baltic region. Present were King Eadbert of Prussia; the newly elected King Kazimierz of Poland; Grand Prince Ivan, son of Alexander; and Prince Stanislav of Galich. Stanislav’s only purpose was to hopefully end Poland’s torment of the small Principality; he knew that he would probably get it if Poland was truly afraid of the Union.

King Kazimierz began after a long silence, “I assume we have all been feeling the pressure of Håkon’s expansion. We are traditionally enemies, but we must unite in defense of our lands.”

“I digress, this all seems like some plot on your part, Kazimierz,” Ivan said.

“What?!”

“Yes, this seems like you are just trying to push your own power into Russia!”

“What about Eadbert, his father annexed much of the growing room out from under the both of us!”

“Do not hold me to what my father has done!” Eadbert said. The three men settled down. It was obvious to Kazimierz that no matter what, one of the three was going to be left out. If Prussia and Kiev united, it would be out of religion. If Poland and Prussia united it would be against Russia and Norway. If Poland and Kiev united it would be against Prussia. But no matter what the third party would always feel left out.

Eadbert realized this too. He would have to choose between breaking his ties with Russia or with Poland. For him, the choice was obvious. Allying with Poland would mean he would have defense against Håkon and it would mean that Poland would let its guard down against him. In the end, it was that choice that was the best in the long run.

“Ivan, Kazimierz is right, though. We must unite against Håkon and Norway. We have to do this.”

“Never! Russia has its own threats! Pagans threaten our borders every day and here all you can worry about are those damn Vikings! Mother Russia will repel all these invaders!”

The Russian stood up, flipped the table and left the room. Stanislav got very quiet, he then looked to Eadbert, “Seeing as my own cousin cannot defend me, would it be possible to find protection with you?”

Eadbert turned to Kazimierz who was scowling. The alliance with Poland was already off to a poor start, but the impending invasion from Norway was a more pressing issue.

End Chapter Nine

So Norway has claims upon you? :eek:
Oh noe, poor Finns!
Being divided!
Have you thought of conquering all land between Dnepr and Elbe and north of Carpathians?

Homelands
Chapter Ten: Black Skies over Prussia
Part 1

Prelude:
1128 saw the ill-advised Norse invasion of Prussia and Poland. King Håkon believed that the alliance between the two former enemies could not withstand the test of a long, drawn out war. Even so, his plan centered on knocking Prussia out of the war quickly, both in Finland and on the Baltic cost. Since Memelbuhr was located on the sea, he assumed it would be a ripe target for raiding and burning. Poland, with its capital deep inland, had the advantage of the Norse needing to leave their quick raid and run tactics behind. But Prussia proved stubborn and turned Norwegian forces around in Finland. King Håkon perished in battle, following a battle in Poland. His death severed the Union and sent Norway into civil war.

October 29th, 1128

Eadbert was the toast of the evening. Despite the hard work of his marshal and the soldiers, the sole victor of the war was King Eadbert. The war had crippled Norway and Sweden. Both had lost much of their newly conquered lands in Lapland and Finland. Prussian soldiers in Marienscír, Memelbuhr and Riga had proven to the Norse that the homeland was to be defended, and that no foreigner was to rule them any longer.

Håkon’s only son, Olaf, had died while attempting to raid Memelbuhr. The city and Eadbert’s wife had been promised to him by his father if the war was won. The young lad was killed fighting Aelle in hand-to-hand combat. The blond Saxon warrior lobbed his head off in a single swoop, becoming the hero of Memelbuhr, for which a statue of him was erected at the place of the killing. Prussians said it would ward off any future attempts made by the Vikings.

“Quiet, quiet!” Eadbert demanded. The room hushed and the people turned their attention to their King, who was standing up goblet in hand.

“Our hero, my son,” he started, “Has made a brilliant suggestion! Now that Norway and Sweden have been humiliated, let us turn the tide of war! Let us… invade them!”

Cheers filled the room and goblets were toasted and smashed together. Aelle took the floor at the urging of the room and his father, “Please, please. We will do nothing too big. During the conflict, the King of Sweden made one small gain, Gotland Island. During the invasion across the sea, they invaded the island to restock on supplies. Now, Gotland was a part of Sweden, so they consider it part of their Kingdom, but let us take Gotland, make their losses for not and remind them who controls the Baltic Sea!”

The room filled with cheers again and Aelle was touted as the hero of Prussia. Eadbert beamed with joy and pride. His son was a single-minded military tactician and would lead his armies to great victories.

After the party, Aelle spoke with his father, unsure of the invasion of Gotland.

“Father, the island is practically a military fortress. Is an invasion truly wise?”

“Son, you are the greatest military mind in all of Europa! You shall knock over the Swedes with a single hand! They fear your name already; make them fear your wrath!”

Aelle nodded, he had not been interested in it before, but the idea of proving his abilities as a military commander forced him into it. His father’s ambitions came before his own.

1128.jpg

Norse losses in light blue, Prussian gains in light Red, Prussia in red.

You conquer Tavastland and Satakunta. :rolleyes:
Gotland sounds not that scary actually, since the defenders are in civil war, and knowing the defence capabilities of CK AI. :cool:

I've been playing the actual game for a change, and I've played to 1290, and grooming a new heir. I plan to update sometime tomorrow. But right now, I am enjoying some down time.

EDIT: No update today (April 23rd, apparently my professors think more homework will make up for their lack of teaching skills).

Last edited: