• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The normans must be pretty proud of themselves. Pushing back muslims since 1180!

How about a small update about what's going on in Albion?
Well, actually France was mostly recaptured by the Flemish and Dutch. It actually worked out pretty well, I was surprised.

England comes into play soon-ish. They remained mostly off on the side, I released them so I didn't have to deal with them. ;)

Dear Lord, you are planning to send the Catholics to America?
You evil genius!!! :cool:
And back they shall come with nukes during the 20th century, to reclaim their lost continent?´:rolleyes::D
Would be quite cool to have Pope in the Americas. :p
Nah, but it would have been a good idea. :cool:

Actually, it does sound like a good play if the Pope was playable... and there was an American continent...

and there was an American continent...

I've just noticed that it's possible for America to not be discovered at all! With the way east controlled by civilized and christian Prussia who would want to find an alternate route to India? Unless of course Prussia's going to put extreme restrictions on non-prussian traders.

I've just noticed that it's possible for America to not be discovered at all! With the way east controlled by civilized and christian Prussia who would want to find an alternate route to India? Unless of course Prussia's going to put extreme restrictions on non-prussian traders.

Or Western Muslims move to the Americas seeking an alternative route to India (much like what happened in real life). There will most likely be a Muslim new world.

So it's just reversed... Interesting. I wonder what a between Aztecs and Arabs will look like. And what the muslim Pizzaro will look like. Something like this perhaps?

Maybe, I'll keep that in mind.

Awesome. I got #666.
And for this momentous occasion, here is a boring video dumbed over with awesome music (if you are expecting something awesome prepare to be disappointed):
Video!

Last edited:
Homelands
Chapter Nineteen: Hidden Blades
Part 5

Prelude:
Prussia's many years of peace under Sviendorog were coming to an end. In 1198 tensions began to rise with neighboring Hungary over several issues of differing severity. This included Dzintis inheriting Bohemia and the unmapped boundary between Prussian Moldavia and Hungarian Moldavia. Prussia acted as if its boarder extended all the way to Roman Bulgaria, but the Hungarians resented that, and eventually started building a large border wall between the two regions in 1197. The next year construction was halted due to Prussian excursions in the region. Sviendorog trumped the wall with his planned Memelgrád-Keæv-Kánstántinopel road. While the East built itself up for war Germany attempted to reform itself. Albrecht von Zähringen finally had the muscle to force most of the German Princes to reunite. The Holy Kingdom of the Lands of the Germans was not a reincarnation of the Holy Roman Empire. The Zähringer dynasty was in charge and would lead the Kingdom until its final demise in 1270. Even afterwards the Zähringers would play a major role in German history. Crowned in his capital at Würzburg chosen for its location in the center of the region), Albrecht I would futilely try to keep Italy out of Muslim hands for most of his reign. He died as they began to encroach on Germany proper.

HKG.png

The Kingdom of Germany. In brown are the Zähringer crown lands; in gold is the rest of the Kingdom (at its greatest extent); in pale yellow are regions of shifting allegiance to Würzburg.

September 16th, 1198

"Sir, you have seen us through seventeen years of peace, more than anyone would have predicted. You mustn't doubt yourself so much. We will have to attack before the Hungarians do." Sabe paced around the room as Sviendorog remained still over a map. "Sir?" He called for a response.

"Hmmm," was Sviendorog's only reply.

"I don't know why you are so worried... there isn't much to this... right? You are one of the best commanders the Kingdom has ever had."

"Sabe, I and fifty four years old... My father was fifty four when he died. I am old, and I am out of touch. How do you think I got through so many years of peace? By being in touch?! It was by ignoring everything around me that wasn't pressing. But here it is," Sviendorog said. "I am worried because in all my years of war it was always one army versus another, and we always had the advantage... even if we didn't use it."

Moldavia.png

Competing Prussian and Hungarian claims on Moldavia. Until this period the entire region was under de facto rule by Prussia.

"What do you mean, my lord?"

"I mean that this is a real war. This isn't me taking some 5,000 buddies and stomping on some pagan tribe. I'll need more commanders than just me. It will take organization," the King pulled at his beard.

"It is Hungary, are you really worried about this?"

"In short, yes." Sviendorog stood up and walked over to Sabe's position.

"These mountains provide quite an issue, don't they?"

"Yes, the only way to really get into the heartland is through Wallachia, but Transylvania's mountains will provide them some time regardless of the path we take."

"It looks like we will have to hit through Slovakia and just expect a slow time from the get go." Sabe pointed out the Slovakian border and its hilly terrain. The two men were silent for a long while and then Sabe chuckled, "Really? Fifty four?"

Sviendorog looked up inquisitively, "Yes. Why?"

"Heh, I wouldn't have pegged you that high." He had a side-ways smile on his face, somewhere between amused and offended. "Don't worry... you won't have to deal with me for long." He chuckled blackly. Deep down his soul swirled with uncertainty.

"Hopefully we will have to deal with you for a good-deal longer. You've done much for Prussia, but when you do go you shall leave us in capable hands. I am sure."

"He will need help in times of war, he is unable to command an army, and I refuse to make him do so," the King said.

"Meinekinus is very much an innocent soul if I have ever seen one. He truly is a saint amongst the living. He looks up to you, though. In peace you have taught him much, something he shall carry forever. His son looks up to you too, known he too shall soon be a King."

"Whatever will the world do with two Prussians as Kings?" Sviendorog asked jokingly.

Sabe smiled, unsure of what to say after that, "You might want to call up some trusted commanders and get a real war organized."

"I should," the King backed up and got out parchment and began writing down names and numbers. He needed troops, lots of them. He could get almost 30,000 himself, but he needed commanders and commanders needed loyal troops.

"There is one, my lord, that I would trust as a warrior but not some much as a general," Sabe said.

"Who is that?"

"Hyg Dormandy. He and his troops are powerful fighters, quick and mobile. They shall help us greatly. Plus they eat light, hunt and do not take much space. They will make good sentries and messengers."

"Yes, but he will want compensation."

"Hyg is one of many 'noble bandits' that make up our outer Princes. The way to their loyalty is through their sense of honor... titles. Give him a title, some authority, no matter how trivial, if he can use it to one-up his neighbor he shall be happy. But as it stands, the Azowians have something special in their cavalry, something we can use."

"They will not be as useful in the hills, but once we get into more open terrain... yes. I shall call on him and his clan," Sviendorog added a name to his list.

"So how many do you think we can get?" Sabe asked.

"50,000 if we are to be conservative," Sviendorog said, "and I think we should, this will be the first time we've called on the vassals like this. None of them have anything to gain from this other than my gratitude and a few coins."

"They will have to make due for their King." Sabe said with a smile, "Now, if you will excuse me, I need to be guarding you, and not plotting with you."

End Chapter Nineteen

Last edited:
Heh, those golden moments in every CK-game, a time shall come when the King must ask his nobles to join him in his war. Relying just on ones own troops is wiser. No silly civil war events... :p
Just make Hungary a dominion of Greater Prussija! :cool:

You've had 17 years of peace and prosperity but now is the time to show the world what made Prussia great. 50,000 to beat up Hungary sounds excessive, they must have a good king.

Heh, those golden moments in every CK-game, a time shall come when the King must ask his nobles to join him in his war. Relying just on ones own troops is wiser. No silly civil war events... :p
Just make Hungary a dominion of Greater Prussija! :cool:
I know, that is why I kept Kiev and Chernigov to myself... each gave like 14,000 troops.

You've had 17 years of peace and prosperity but now is the time to show the world what made Prussia great. 50,000 to beat up Hungary sounds excessive, they must have a good king.
I am anal when it comes to wars, I like to be sure I am going to win with no issue, I tend to have bad luck when it comes to events, like losing docks in fires the second they are finished and having enemy armies burn everything to the ground the second they step on my soil.

Before I forget here is Sviendorog's story in English:

One day a beautiful girl went to the Volga.
There she saw a lonely wolf sitting on the banks.
"Girl," said the wolf, "why are you so far from home alone?"
"Noble mister wolf, my family needs water."
"Have you no brothers?"
"No, but he went with the army."
"Terrible. What can I do to help you?"
The small girl thought and said
"Find my brother and tell him that we love him."
The wolf nodded and told her to return to the Volga at the next full moon.
The girl ran back to her home with her pail of water.
When she got there her mother was grim and her father somber.
"Mother? Father? What is it?"
"Your brother died in battle. You just missed the courier."
And the girl wept, but did not forget her promise to the wolf.
During the next full moon she returned to the spot where she met the wolf.
The wolf was there waiting for her. In his mouth her brother's sword.
"O noble wolf, you bring proof of my brother's demise?!"
"Fear not, for your brother is safe with me."
"Why do you say such things?"
"Fear not, for your time is not yet.
But be warned that the Volga holds more than water during the full moon."
And under the moon's glow the Volga was a misty blue and a low moan came forth.
Across the river stood an army of lost men, looking for home.
Amongst them was the girl's brother and he mournfully gazed at her from afar.
The girl lamented and ran back home to tell her mother and father.
But they did not believe her until she remembered the sword.
Alas the sword was nothing and she could not show them.
Remembering the moon, she waited until the moon was full, and returned to the Volga.
There again sat the wolf, proud and noble.
And in the moonglow the Volga did turn misty blue.
"You do not belong here, it is not yet your time" the wolf said.
"I know who you are, and I have come to challenge you for my brother!"
The wolf smiled and nodded.
"Yes it is I, the sailor on the Volga, the reaper, the scythe!"
And with that the wolf turned into a tall, lanky man, who carried a scythe.
"But my dear, there is nothing you can do, for those who die for Prussia
will live again to serve Prussia in her darkest hour!"
And the boatman did sail her across to her brother.
But he could do very little.
He could not speak.
He could not move.
He could not blink.
But when dawn came all the soldiers turned into butterflies.
And they floated down along the Volga.
"And there my dear, they will reach Valhalla."
The girl finally understood why the Volga truly was Prussia's eastern wall.
And to this day, one should never harm a wolf or a butterfly along the Volga.
For death is the shepard of soldiers.
And Prussia's army of the brave waits for the day they are called once again.​

We can discuss the translation at your leisure. Also, I've caught a small spelling mistake in the original Prussian version... not that it means too much, but I will fix it.

Lets hope Wolga shall be Prussian for long.
Walhalla in Prussic traditions?
Interesting.

Humans talking with animals, romanticism?
Quite early romanticism, methinks.

Lets hope Wolga shall be Prussian for long.
Walhalla in Prussic traditions?
Interesting.

Humans talking with animals, romanticism?
Quite early romanticism, methinks.
Talking animals existed before the Romantic period, they just had their hay-day during that period.

Valhalla tends to be present in a lot of military groups, even if it is not referred to as Valhalla or if it is not believed to actually exist, I've heard Christian rot-sees mention Valhalla in more of a pep-talk atmosphere.

"Have you no brothers?"
"No, but he went with the army."
"Terrible. What can I do to help you?"

Shouldn't it be "Yes, but he went with the army." ?
No, it is right, English is picky with its double negatives.

Think of it this way:
Do you have zero brothers?
No, I have one in the army.

goddamn I hate you! I go away for vacation for two days! and you update twice and add the translation!

Great updates! keep up the pace, it's much better to read a few updates at once.

Love the story, Sabe seems like a good chap, wonder what would be out with Svindrogs son (which I can't spell his name)

goddamn I hate you! I go away for vacation for two days! and you update twice and add the translation!

Great updates! keep up the pace, it's much better to read a few updates at once.

Love the story, Sabe seems like a good chap, wonder what would be out with Svindrogs son (which I can't spell his name)
Thanks!

I've left Meinekinus out of the picture for a few reasons, most of all because I tend to have a pattern of ignoring the King in favour for his heir... and Sviendorog is a good character, so I am letting him soak up the limelight.

Prussian Lesson 4!

lábdien klasá!

Today we are learning about tense and conjugation. This will be done in four parts as tense has a very strong effect on conjugation the four section will be "to have" and "to be" as they conjugate highly irregularly. The three main tenses are "Present/Future, Perfect Past, Imperfect Past." These three represent "Active Voice" as compared to "Passive Voice."

Next is a small thing I forgot a few lessons back. This is mostly for my sake "ie" is a diphthong that makes the "eye" sound, the exception is when it is before the letter 'n' when it sounds like "ee-ehn." This is a personal thing based off of how I pronounce things like "dien" (dee-ehn) "ien" (ee-ehn) and "Sviendorog" (Svee-ehn-dough-rogue).

Anyways... Conjugation in the Future/Present tense for basic sentences.

All verbs end with -t or -æt. With this ending the verb is in its infinitive form. In English this is represented with the word "to" (as in "to run", "to build", "to go"). In German this is usually shown with -en (as in "Spielen", "Gehen", "Machen"). If after removing the infinitive ending the verb ends with a conjugate use the new ending that starts with á, otherwise use the other form.
Code:
Person:        Signular:      Plural:
1st            -j or -áj      -ju or -áju
2nd            -s or -ás      -so or -áso
3rd (M)        -f or -áf      -n or -án
3rd (F)        -t or -át      -sh or -ásh
4th            -p or -áp      -p or -áp

Here are some examples:
"I go to Memel"
æs bráuláj uz mæmálgrád
verb: bráulæt

"I will go to Memel"
æs bráuláj uz mæmálgrád

You'll notice that these two sentences appear the same. This is because of the nature of language. Usually the sentences would be more complex with supporting clauses to make the sentence more specific.

You'll also notice that here the sentences are in SVO (Subject Verb Object) word order, as is common. Anglo-Baltic has no specific word order, OVS is just as correct, though more uncommon:
uz mæmálgrád bráuláj æs

In fact OSV and VSO can work as well too though are also uncommon:
uz mæmálgrád æs bráuláj
bráuláj æs uz mæmálgrád

More examples:
"He speaks Russian"
he aizliktáf róshæn
verb: aizliktæt

"Imela talks with Doyvat"
emælá runát doivát ár
verb: ár-runæt
*Note the separable verb's prefix goes to the end.

"They smile every day"
hie smielán kætrs dien (masculine/neuter/mixed)
or
viv smielásh kætrs dien (feminine)
verb: smielæt

Some things that would be expressed in English with "to be" can be expressed in Anglo-Baltic with one verb:

"The king summons the soldier"
se sinik kálláp se kárávurs
verb: kállát

"The soldier is summoned by the king"
se kárávurs kálláf ám se sinik in
verb: in-kállát

I am open to questions.