• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Prussian Lesson #8
Let's talk

lábdien klasá!
Like English there are six main questions, the ones you were taught as a child about reporting: Who, What, Where, When, Why and How. Like English, Prussian does suffers from that debilitating c-c-combo breaker; the six questions all start with the letter 'k' except for one 'w'. They are:
kán - who
kát - what
kur - where
wæn - when
kápesh - why
ká - how

When asking a question the question word comes first. Then the sentence that follows should have the nominative noun (if it exists) after the verb:

ká bráulás tu tór?
How are you going there?

kápesh hát he tas gemachæn?
Why did he do that?

The main thing to remember is not to change word order, simply add the question word. This is true unless the question doesn't use a question word. So like in German "Anglst du?" means "Do you fish?". Prussia has this similar set up.

milánás tu vina?
Do you love her? ("love" here is explicitly romantic, the verb "to love" as it applies to family, friends, animals and inanimate objects is gáslissæt.)

segláso ju?
Do you sail? ("you" here is plural)

Separable verbs retain their separation:

runás tu hime ár?
Do you speak with him?

In the case of past tense in the perfect case, the helping verb (as the conjugated verb) takes the lead position:

hás tu hime árgerunæn?
Did you speak with him?

In the case of past tense in the imperfect case, the imperfect verb takes the lead position, what has not been expanded upon is the separable verbs. In the case of a separable verb in imperfect, separates as you normally would:

runájo tu hime ár?
Did you speak with him?

So before we go on, here are some questions you can answer. If you don't know the vocabulary, use this link.

kán seáp thins milus aktier?

kur ápmækláp gæ skólo?

kát macháp gæ przæz thins freolaks?

I like the cannons; it seems the Caliph has surely poured all research efforts in al-Andalus to weapons; ergo cannons before the 15th Century. I definitely like Kiten; early lust and a trend towards diplomacy.

And furthermore, Karnak delenda est.

Awesome post. I am not sure which is more epic - Serlo or the cannon. :p
Thanks. I don't either.

I like the cannons; it seems the Caliph has surely poured all research efforts in al-Andalus to weapons; ergo cannons before the 15th Century. I definitely like Kiten; early lust and a trend towards diplomacy.

Cannons did not enter widespread usage until the XV Century, however the earliest reports for cannons are from the XIV Century for England and in Iberia in the XIII Century. It is all a stretch, but not completely out of order.

Last edited:
Still kickass.

That it is, that it is.

I am actually more of a trebuchet guy, I actually built a big one for physics class in high school. Used it to throw bowling balls.

--==||||==--​

Also, everyone, it is time for the ACA's once again. In order to unify everyone, I'd like to say early on that this is a narrative AAR, someone has complained when I almost won history book, and I have won gameplay in the past, but for the sake of consistency and an honest competition, Narrative is the proper choice for Homelands (if you chose to vote for it). If not, whatever, just drop a line and say you like my stuff, in the end which ever you do tells me the same thing: you guys like my stuff and that is all I can ask.

You can go here to vote.

I also strongly recommend reading up in some other forums, find some stuff you like and vote in more than one category, it is always kind of heart breaking to see a ton of votes for HoI and none for CK, Rome and Vicky.

Last edited:
Great updates! Kiten seems more like a "better" men then Karnek, but then again, after Karnek's father, that's not too suprising.

Kiten will most likely be anther period of peace, I hope he would be as smart as Sviendorog.

what you need is a prodigy king.

Great updates! Kiten seems more like a "better" men then Karnek, but then again, after Karnek's father, that's not too suprising.

Kiten will most likely be anther period of peace, I hope he would be as smart as Sviendorog.

what you need is a prodigy king.
I had a prodigy King, Sviendorog, and he got a lot done as you said. Kiten reigns over an interesting period of Prussian history.

I fear Kiten might turn out to be a clever homosexual. :p
Dread naught. ;)

Homelands
Chapter Twenty Five: Land of Snow and Ice
Part 3

Prelude:
Between the sacking of Abauj and 1250, Catholicism remained in a state of suspended animation. Its members were left leaderless and for a while they managed to keep things running, appointing a council of cardinals and bishops to lead the Church in the absence of a Pope. Twenty years later, on the exact date, Catholicism died. A lone bishop preached the end of the Catholic Church and the Catholic way of life. The council agreed, which surprised many and left a power vacuum following their self dismissal. The news took time to travel around Europe, but after it had, Catholics in Western Europe tried unsuccessfully to reunite their separated brethren. In Eastern Europe it was gone, just gone. In its wake was a surge of Unionism and Revisionism. Wallachian Unionism, Hungarian Unionism faced off with Prussian Unionism, Orthodoxy and Revisionism. Roving bands of armed civilians began to fight amongst one another leaving soldiers stunned and confused with who to arrest and who to protect. Eventually Karnak had to intervene with the long arm of the law, calling on Royal troops to practically reinvade and reoccupy Hungary. Karnak's ruling was quick and severe: follow Memelgrád. This, in turn, brought interest from Constantinople. The Emperor and Patriarch reminded Karnak that the Prussian Church was essentially a vassal of the Church in Constantinople and that the Hungarian Unionists should be following Constantinople. So, one hundred and fifty three years after Aethelweard separated Prussia from one Rome, Karnak separated Prussia from a second.

Orthodoxy.png

The division of Orthodoxy and Unionism in 1250. Red provinces are Prussian Orthodox, Olive are Roman Orthodox, Purple are Prussian Unionist, Blue are Independent Orthodox Churches that allied with Prussia, Army Drab are Independent Orthodox Churches that allied with Rome, Green are Roman Unionist. The red outline shows the de jure boundary of Prussia, the purple outline shows the de jure boundary of the Roman Empire.

November 10th, 1250

"Gelágæ," the priest finished his sermon. The congregation repeated the amen and began to shuffle out of the church. The laymen didn't notice much difference in church, especially those in central Prussia, far from the wars of Russia and the riots of Hungary. But the priest did. He could do his sermon in a language his people understand. He smiled as he close the Bible at the altar and waved as people left. The local Lord thanked him, as he always did, extending a warm hand shake and smile. Father Darius, the head priest of a small town in the region south of the Memel River, took his hand and asked, seriously, "Was it better in Prussian?"

The Lord nodded, "Very much so. I saw fewer people sleeping. If they know what you are saying, they are compelled to listen and follow every word."

"Then I can finally do my job." Darius smiled and followed the Lord to the door of the church. Outside he could see children running to and fro. It was Sunday so their parents were not working the fields. They had a few hours before chores would call them kick and screaming back into their small huts and farm houses.

"Father, do you think this will blow over... you know, this thing with Rome? Or will we always get to understand the sermon?" The Lord's Lady asked. "It was so amazing, the way that our savior fed all those people with so little."

"Well, m'lady, I have no idea. I am a simple father who enjoys teaching his flock, hopefully we can. I would like that very much." The Lord and Lady excused themselves and Darius waved as they walked back to their home.

"Okay, okay... you can be the Black Knight... jeez," a young voice said. Two boys stood across from each other with sticks. The other smiled, pointing his stick threatening at the first.

"Good, Andres. You be the evil Hungarian overlord... I shall be the good King Jakob!" Jakob struck a dramatic pose and then swung his sword in a fancy parry. Andres shook his head, dismayed. But as they began to get ready a circle of children formed, from those just young enough to walk to the older ones.

Just as the two were about to start a man stepped into the circle, "Okay young ones, please step aside you are blocking the road." The two mock knights looked up and saw a herald wearing a deep Burgundy marked with a black eagle. The man didn't look annoyed, just tired from a long ride.

"Klaudijs? Klaudijs! I want to watch them! Let them finish," another voice called. Klaudijs, the herald, rolled his eyes before turning around, trying to remain presentable. "Dammit, Klaudijs, I am fifteen years old and father has me traveling like I am not only six... but a woman, too! Not that I don't appreciate your company, my good friend." From a carriage stepped forth a young man wearing a similar garb as Klaudijs, only he had a small circlet around his head. He was only a year or two older than Andres and Jakob.

"Very well, sir, boys you may continue." Klaudijs let out a sigh and stepped out of the way. The young man stood and watched, when Andres and Jakob looked at him for permission he nodded and then crossed his arms in anticipation. The two lunged at each other. They had fought each other many a time, and anticipated each other's attacks and counter attacks. The young man watched for a few minutes and then called it off.

"Okay, you two are pretty good. But you got to watch for openings. You guys watch too many stage fights."

"What fights, sir?" Andres asked.

"You know, staged fights... fights in Greek plays and stuff... where the two actors basically just strike and parry and then the one who is supposed to lose basically just lets himself lose. Have you not been to a play?"

"I have not sir, I have never even left the town... except that one time when Klara said she'd kiss which ever boy stayed the longest in the forest over there... I left town for that," Andres smiled and a girl turned beet red and ran from the group. The young man laughed. He smiled and put his arms around Andres and Jakob.

"Klaudijs, I should really enjoy having these two join me on the rest of our journey!" Klaudijs rolled his eyes and sighed again. The young boy scowled, slightly, and then chuckled, "Klaudijs... you face is going to get stuck like that if you keep doing it!" The young man exaggerated the face and acted as if it was stuck. Even Klaudijs laughed and he nodded.

"My mother warned me, but I never listened to her."

"Good man, Klaudijs! Good man!" The young man patted Klaudijs on the back.

"Why does Mr. Klaudijs listen to you? I never get to boss adults around... though I should!" Jakob exclaimed.

The young man nodded, "And that you shall, for while you are my guest, Klaudijs is at your command... though you should be nice to Klaudijs... I like him a lot more than that cranky old Stefans, so we want Klaudijs to feel appriciated." Klaudijs smiled and nodded.

"Yes, I really do enjoy being with Master Kiten, warm bed, good food for the wife and kids... and I never had to grow up."

"That's the spirit!" Kiten said, "Now go pack your things! We leave soon!"

"Yes, sir, Master Kiten!" Andres and Jakob saluted their new friend and ran off to find their parents.

When they were out of earshot the group dispersed and Klaudijs turned to Kiten and said, in a whisper, "Damned, Master Kiten, what am I going to tell these boys' parents... or your parents for that matter?!"

"Klaudijs, father has only you, myself and the royal guard for enjoying life! There's my mother and my five sisters! Five, Klaudijs! Five, and they are all older than I am!"

"I couldn't imagine a greater hell, sir." Klaudijs said, trying to keep himself from rolling his eyes again. But Kiten picked up on the attempt and snickered. From one home the two boys came running out with two men in close pursuit. Klaudijs became tense when he saw how big they were, but he knew that a whole guard stood spitting distance away from where they were.

"Who are you to come and kidnap my son?" the first man asked, putting his hands on his hips to make himself look even larger than he already was.

"I am his royal majesty: Kiten, Prince of Prussia; heir to the throne of Prussia and all her environs... and some other stuff... but I forgot them." Klaudijs looked at Kiten in horror, his eyes wide open.

"Is that so?" The farmer asked. Kiten nodded, but it soon became obvious that the men believe him as they suddenly grew large smiles. "My son gets to go to the academy?! My... boy?" the man sobbed. "O glorious day! Did you hear that, Jakob? You are going to be a real knight one day! And have titles and a real name!" The man's bottom lip quivered as he said this. He looked down at the boy and patted him on the back, almost knocking him over.

"My boy too?" The other asked.

"Yup, I don't see why not," Kiten replied.

"Gelágæ, your majesty. Thank you so very much!"

"But father, what of the fields tomorrow?" Andres asked.

"Don't worry about them boy! You are bound for greater things than a wheat field! I'll have the Father help me write to you, okay boy? And you come back and visit one and a while, you understand? Your mother would die if you didn't."

And with the boys loaded up into the carriage and some children waving them off, Andres and Jakob shared a laugh and a hearty handshake. No more pretending to be knights. But after a few miles of quiet time, Jakob turned to Andres and said, "You really got a kiss from Klara?! I thought she was lying so I went back home!" Andres smiled and Kiten laughed.

Last edited:
Very good update! It was nice to see a glimpse of Prussian life. It seems that the young Prince will take after his father.

Karnak takes a bold stance against Constantinople. I like it. Prussia has the right to practice as they wish, especially since they have the power to back it up.

Very good update! It was nice to see a glimpse of Prussian life. It seems that the young Prince will take after his father.

Karnak takes a bold stance against Constantinople. I like it. Prussia has the right to practice as they wish, especially since they have the power to back it up.

I am trying to make Kiten to be better than his father (friendlier, more understanding... Karnak is a mediocre military tactician, Kiten is supposed to be a master diplomat); as I tried to describe him to Brigid: Hugh Grant with a noble title. Kiten is actually meant to be based off of Henri IV of France (good with the ladies). Anyways, we'll see if any of that actually amounts to anything. ;) I can't just say "LIKE THIS CHARACTER!!" as much as a try. :eek:o

I like Kiten, he's a good guy, it's intersting they belived him so fast, considering that Prussia is so big, I doubt they ever saw the King, not to speak of the Heir...

I like Kiten, he's a good guy, it's intersting they belived him so fast, considering that Prussia is so big, I doubt they ever saw the King, not to speak of the Heir...
Yeah, that part got me as well, but the update was becoming much longer than the others very quickly, so I went with time constraints over realism. I do feel the same way as you though, but had I gone into arguments, it would change the feel of the update.

Heh.
Kiten and his young Companions? :p
Soon Prussia shall tremble under the deeds of the Black Knights. :D
Don't worry, I put your fears to rest next update.

Homelands
Chapter Twenty Five: Land of Snow and Ice
Part 4

Prelude:
Kiten, Prince of Prussia, was the only son of King Karnak. Raised with five older sisters and a younger one, he was often granted a great deal of freedom by his father, especially when it came to movement and his choice of company. Kiten quickly picked up the nickname "The Green Gallant", a reference to his attractiveness and popularity amongst women in court as well as a pun of his father's own moniker "the Gallant". By the end of his life Kiten would have gone through seven wives and would be one of only a very few European Kings ever to have a harem. He would have 11 legitimate children and estimates put the count of illegitimate children in the mid to high twenties. The court of Prussia would spend much of its time trying to hide the nature of many of Kiten's children, but the people liked him as he was kind, friendly, outgoing and good to his people. In 1252 his reign was still many years away. At the time he was working as a diplomat for the Kingdom, one of the best. He kept his homeland and Rome from going to war, by keeping Rome focused on the Armenians. He also made quick friends with Yusuf Hadad, therefore cementing positive relations with Toledo. Despite rumours, Kiten kept his relationships with all of Hadad's daughters polite out of his respect and admiration for Yusuf.

May 1st, 1252

Andres stood outside of Kiten's door, he had been requested to tell the Prince of their planned journey to Tver. But it was still early in the night, and Kiten had disappeared earlier. Jakob ran up to him with a bewildered look. "What is wrong? Opened the damned door, get the Prince... we've been ordered by the King!"

"I know, I know... But Jakob... he's probably in there with a lady!" The two stood there looking at each other. Jakob tried to catch his breath and then took one last deep breath and jiggled the handle. Locked.

"Your majesty, you've been summoned to speak with the King!" Jakob shouted. No reply. "Your majesty? Your father said it was urgent." Still nothing.

"I am going to break this door down, Kiten!" Andres shouted. Nothing. The two men looked at one another and nodded. Andres took a deep breath and then hit the door with his shoulder. The door gave way revealing a well lit room with its west facing windows. A woman's voice cried out and Kiten leaped out of his bed in his full glory. Andres was stunned, his liege was naked, but his eyes fell on Ona, the maid, and the two things that made her the target of all the knights and the envy of everyone but the queen. "Ona?"

"Andres, they are just breasts, come back to me." Kiten walked over to Andres and snapped his fingers. Jakob entered the room with a hand over his eyes.

"Your majesty... hello Miz Ona... The King wishes to speak with you at once. I'd believe, however, he has no need to see his son like this," Jakob said in a monotone voice.

"Cover yourself, Ona, and I apologize... we shall have to continue this at some other time." The maid grabbed her clothes and pressed them against her body. She ran out of the room, but not before stopping for a kiss from the Prince. Kiten turned back to Andres, "They are gone... wake up."

Andres looked at Kiten and nodded, "Okay... yeah... sorry about your door... the King said no wasting time." Kiten sighed and patted his friend on the back. "I can fix it, don't worry."

"I am not worrying. Now!" Kiten said, striking a pose in the nude, "I shall speak to the King."

Jakob walked up, his eyes still covered, "Not without these." He handed his liege his pants. "Klaudijs is trying to keep the King busy now... but we have to hurry." Kiten did as he was told and led the three men back to the King's chamber.

"Ah, there he is! My son!" Karnak said. He stood up and went over to Kiten, "Where did you go off to?"

"Ah... my room... I was checking out my door handle which needs fixing... I accidentally broke it a few nights ago." Kiten shrugged as if it was nothing and Karnak believed him.

"I need you to go to Tver for me. We are starting a second campaign and I need someone to accept the Russian surrender," Karnak said.

"Thank you father," Kiten said honestly, "Thank you, it is a great honor! I assume you want total annexation?"

"Yes."

"Then you can count on me... I shall get that surrender for you."

Outside, in the courtyard, Kiten met back up with Klaudijs, Andres, Jakob and the rest of the guard. The four men got into a carriage and the guard formed up around them. Andres and Jakob were Kiten's closest guard, they would follow him anywhere and often had to. "So?" Klaudijs asked, "What is the plan for these Russians?"

"Well, my friend, they are basically as good as ours. Sure they think they want to be free, but it comes down to this: They are small and Christian... they are stuck between the Big bad Pagan Mordvins and us... who would they rather be with? The people trying so very hard to liberate them from megalomaniac leaders or the pagans?"

"Is it really that easy?" Andres asked.

"Well, no... if it was my dad would have little purpose for me and I'd still be in bed with Ona... however... the key idea is simple: show people the truth."

"The truth? How is that hard?"

"Simple... the truth and truth aren't always the same. See, we know that the Mordvins would never seriously think of reinvading Russian territories. They think we'll protect them, even after we've waged this little war. The Russians think we are both enemies, but they can withstand us both. We can see both of their ideas, so we need to keep the Mordvin reality hidden and convince the Russians that what they think is wrong. So... three opinions... one truth: Prussia is a safe haven, Mordvins will try to reinvade, Russians cannot protect themselves. Ergo, they should surrender to us." Kiten wiped his hands as a marker of success. The others were dumbfounded.

"Yeah... well..." Jakob started, "Next time diplomacy a maid into my room instead of into your own!"

Prussia1252.png

Prussia at the end of 1252 and the Second Tver War.

He wins at life.

I have been away, and this AAR gets ever better. I do fear that Serlo might drag Prussia into one war which she doesn't particularly need. Still, at least the next King shall be good as well.

When do we get the Prussian mad man who murders is friends before slaughtering peasants? Too many good rulers.... :p

Lol. :p
Well, soon the Mordvins shall push the border backwards.
I hope. :D
Lol... boobies. Honestly it is a push for realism more than anything. Sometimes I feel that some of my characters channel a collection of inspirational quotes rather than normal speech.

He wins at life.

I have been away, and this AAR gets ever better. I do fear that Serlo might drag Prussia into one war which she doesn't particularly need. Still, at least the next King shall be good as well.

When do we get the Prussian mad man who murders is friends before slaughtering peasants? Too many good rulers.... :p
Why thank you, I wouldn't want you to feel as your Cookie had been misplaced.

A while, Kiten needs to get around to making legitimate children first. ;)