• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Mr. Capiatlist

Mademoiselle Gothique (she/her/hers)
88 Badges
Dec 4, 2003
nhkendall.com
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • 500k Club
Homelands
A story of a people settling a new home
an AAR by:
Mr. Capiatlist

|< << Book 1 >> >|

Table of Contents:
[anchorlink=anchor2]Skip to the awards and extras[/anchorlink]
Chapter One: The Trials of Morcar
[anchorlink=anchor1]1[/anchorlink] | 2 | 3 | 4

Chapter Two: Prussia Rising
1 | 2 | 3

Chapter Three: Prussia and the Pope
1 | 2 | 3 | 4

Chapter Four: Quiet before the Storm
1 | 2 | 3

Chapter Five: The Prussian Schism
1 | 2 | 3 | 4

Chapter Six: The Sharpened Sword
1 | 2 | 3

Chapter Seven: King and Conqueror
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

Chapter Eight: The Noble Death
1 | 2 | 3

Chapter Nine: Storm Clouds
1 | 2 | 3 | 4

Chapter Ten: Black Skies over Prussia
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

Chapter Eleven: The Longest Year
1 | 2 | 3 | 4

Chapter Twelve: To Save a King
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

Chapter Thirteen: Peace of Mind
1 | 2 | 3 | 4

Chapter Fourteen: For Which He is Remembered
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

Chapter Fifteen: A Glorious Return
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

Chapter Sixteen: Winters of War
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

Chapter Seventeen: Shores of Destiny
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

Chapter Eighteen: Loving Father
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

Chapter Nineteen: Hidden Blades
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

Chapter Twenty: Storm and Sun
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

Chapter Twenty One: Dawn of War
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

Chapter Twenty Two: We Three Kings
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

Chapter Twenty Three: Asses to Ashes
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

Chapter Twenty Four: Call to War
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6

Chapter Twenty Five: Land of Snow and Ice
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

Chapter Twenty Six: Darkest Before Dusk
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6

Chapter Twenty Seven: Between Kings and Paupers
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

Chapter Twenty Eight: Glory and Shame
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

Chapter Twenty Nine: March of the Prussians
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

Chapter Thirty: God and Country
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

Chapter Thirty One: The Snowy North
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

Chapter Thirty Two: The Prince and the King
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

Chapter Thirty Three: By the Shade of the Trees
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

Chapter Thirty Four: Thicker than Water
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

Chapter Thirty Five: Fortress
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

Chapter Thirty Six: Black and White
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

Chapter Thirty Seven: Cursed Lands
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

Chapter Thirty Eight: Family Tree
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

Chapter Thirty Nine: By the Blade
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

[anchor=anchor2]Kings[/anchor]
House of Hwicce
Morcar the Exile Life: 1028-1073, Reign (as an exile): 1068-1073
Aethelweard the Conqueror Life: 1069-1122, Reign: (1073)1085-1122
Eadbert the Cruel Life: 1089-1160, Reign: 1122-1160
Gunvald the Handsome Life: 1127-1181, Reign: 1160-1181
Sviendorog the Lett Life: 1144-1204, Reign: 1181-1204
Meinekinus the Pious Life: 1167-1225, Reign: 1204-1225
Karnak the Gallant Life: 1206-1277, Reign: 1225-1269(1277)
Kiten the Green Gallant Life: 1235-1307, Reign: (1269)1277-1307
Vishly the Impaler Life: 1284-1356, Reign: 1307-1356
Gunvald II the Minter Life: 1310-1367, Reign 1356-1367
Doyvát I the Black Count Life: 1329-1389, Reign: 1367-1389
Doyvát II Sealegs Life: 1354- , Reign: 1389-

Extras
First glimpse of MMP map: Map 1
First glimpse of Religion: Map 2
First glimpse at the HRE: HRE Pic
First glimpse at the Prussian culture: Map 3
Prussian Lesson #1: Here
Prussian Lesson #2: Here
Leofricson Family Tree (as of 1180): Here
MEIOU France: Here
Prussian Lesson #3: Here
Video (watch mostly for the good music): Here
Sviendorog's story in English: Here
Prussian Lesson #4: Here
Prussian Lesson #5: Here
Prussian Lesson #6: Here
Prussian Lesson #7: Here
Grand Caliph Preview: Here
Preview of Asia: Here
Preview of the Isles: Here
PEIOU beta v.1: Here
PEIOU beta v.2: Here
Prussian Lesson #8: Here
Prussian Lesson #9: Here
Prussian Lesson #10: Here
The World in 1360: Here
Prussian Lesson #11: Here

Awards
Favorite Gameplay AAR, CK - 2009 Q1
Shared with:
The tale of CanAARias by kadvael56
He's the Prince of the Pronsk A YeAARly Chronicle by It's Amazing

Weekly Showcase - June 26th, 2009
Awarded by: General_BT of Rome AARisen - a Byzantine AAR

Best Character Writer of the Week - June 28th, 2009
Awarded by: Valhalla's Call of The Bagratunis - a GeorgiAAR

Lord Strange Cookie of British Awesomeness - October 21st, 2009
Awarded by: Lord Strange

WritAAR of the Week - November 8th, 2009
Awarded by: KaiserMuffin of A light in the DAARkness, a KaisAARreich (Sovjet) RussiAAR

Best Character Writer of the Week - January 24th, 2010
Awarded by: Rebaltion of Unto Caesar: An Austrian AAR

Favorite Narrative AAR, CK - 2009 Q4

Favorite Narrative AAR, CK - 2010 Q2

Favorite Narrative AAR, CK - 2010 Q3
Shared with:
Britannia - A Saga of Albion by Vesimir
Rome AARisen - a Byzantine AAR by General_BT
The Machiavellian Adventures of Princess Eleanor by frogbeastegg

Favorite Narrative AAR, CK - 2010 Q4

WritAAR of the Week - May 1st, 2011
Awarded by: Issac Wolfe of I, Rodrigo: The Annals of the Orient

CrusadAAR's Chalice - 2010

Favorite Narrative AAR, EU - 2011 Q2
Shared with:
Novum Romanum Imperium by Avindian
The Sleeper by Iain Wilson

Best Character Writer of the Week - June 24th, 2012
Awarded by: Apelstav of The Curse of Brothers - The history of Alfonso the Wise and his descendants

Best Character Writer of the Week - September 16th, 2012

Third Place - 2012 EU AARland Choice Awards, Q3
Shared with:
Pine, Bamboo and Plum: A Song AAR by bananafishtoday

[anchor=anchor1]Homelands[/anchor]
Part 1

Prelude
The fields of Northumberland were empty. Morcar Leofricson had sent his men far and wide to find a new Saxon homeland. In 1067 Morcar and his brother Edwin had allied with each other and other Saxon rulers against William the Conqueror. The resulting civil war would last until 1072 when William would annex all of the territories of the Saxon Earls. But the year is 1068 and the civil war is looking bad as troops from France were landing in Kent to support William. The help from Scotland and Denmark never came, and Morcar was forced to make a harsh choice, continue to fight the losing war or flee with his subjects to a far-off land. His marshal, a Danish man, pointed out a region ripe for attack and colonization without complaint from other Christian Kingdoms. In September Morcar set sail for the Baltic coast of Prussia.

September 21st, 1068

The seas were rough and the ship pitched around violently. Many of the Saxon warriors had been sailors all of their lives, and took no notice. However their children and wives and sisters did not handle the movement as well, so the ship reeked of human refuse. The fleet was massive, carrying some 3,000 Saxon warriors and almost 10,000 civilians. With about 100 ships, Earl Morcar led his people eastward to the pagan lands of the Baltic. He sailed in a ship with black sails and trailing a massive black banner.

MorcarsBanner.png

Banner of Morcar the Exile

“Back home we are called ‘Nýdfara’,” a sailor told his Earl.

“Fugitives?”

“Yes, m’lord. We sail away from our farms and home. We have left England and your brother behind.”

“We owe a duty to ourselves more than petty blood feuds.”

“Sir?”

“The war is lost; there is nothing more to it. With France supporting William we cannot possibly win, just become a constant thorn in the side of the Normans. We are more than that.”

“The people are worried. We’ve never heard of or seen these lands. I’ve heard they are full of werewolves.”

Morcar was quiet; he knew too well the superstitions of his people. The ship tossed and rolled over waves. “I have yet to see a werewolf in England, I hardly think we shall find one here.”

“Earl, we look to you for our guidance.”

“I understand, I pray that you have not misplaced your trust.” The Earl placed his hand on the young soldier’s shoulder.

The North Sea tried its best to ruin the Saxon’s plans for invasions, but in ten days’ time Jutland lay in the horizon. Rounding the straits of Jutland proved difficult as well, and Morcar was forced to constantly work to keep his fleet together. After some twenty days at sea, and the loss of 20 ships with 2500 souls lost.

October 11th, 1068

Earl Morcar sat on the deck of his ship; the black sail tattered and riddled with holes. In the distance say a bay drenched in sunlight poking out from behind thick clouds. He stood up to take in the sight and others soon joined him on deck looking into a glorious sight.

“My Earl,” exclaimed a sailor, “What heaven is this we have descended into?”

“My advisors say it is called Prussia and hence forth we are Prussians, and we shall build our capital here.”

About mid-day, the scouts had returned to the ships and called an all-safe to land the civilians and troops. The ships were dragged ashore and flipped to be used as temporary shelters. The next morn soldiers went out to cut down trees and begin the building of a new city. The new city was named Marienscír, but its construction soon attracted the attention of natives to the regions. From the forest they watched, but their intent was not peace or trade.

In November of 1068 the Prussian War broke out between the Saxons and the native Prussians. Morcar and his commanders from Northumbria fought against over-whelming numbers of pagans, and despite the numerical disadvantage managed to achieve victory after a brutal winter of fighting.

By summer the war had ended and the Prussian tribes had been subjugated by the Saxons. Marienscír grew quickly as the Saxon warriors settled down after the war. They came back with Prussian wives and prisoners made up a large part of the workforce. This created a social hierarchy with the Saxon nobility on top and the Prussian prisoners on the bottom. Even so, with more troops at the disposal of the Earl, the safety of the Saxons was guaranteed for the time being.

Last edited:
Good start :)

So, you edit Prussia to be Saxon culture? I think that would be interesting to have it spread thru Europe. I wonder what they would call their language be like under influence of Prussian.

I like it! Subscribed XD

Thank you everyone for the interest and the posts.

Good start :)

So, you edit Prussia to be Saxon culture? I think that would be interesting to have it spread thru Europe. I wonder what they would call their language be like under influence of Prussian.
No, I am exiled Saxon earls ruling over the Prussian people and region. As for the language I can ask my girlfriend, she studies language evolution.

What's with it with werewolves and attacking random Baltic tribes? Good luck with this.
Haha, no real werewolves. It is just a superstitious soldier.

An interesting idea. I can see this Anglo-Prussian society becoming an inspiration to the Nazis 900 years later. :p Will be following as time permits.
Well, I hope you have time to read. Cheers.

I like it! Subscribed XD
Thank you very much!

Nice start
Suppose you'll be aiming to be HRE or King of Poland
I am really trying to play this one natural, ie by ear with no real plans, and playing things by rulers. Cruel rulers will have issues holding the nation together, heretical ones will appease the pagans, and martial ones will go a conquering. I can't ruin too much though.

I.... I'm going to like this a lot. Fantastic concept.

Homelands
Part 2

Prelude:
In the two years after the invasion of the Prussian tribes, the County of Marienscír (Marienshire) was developing. It had made enemies with two local tribes in particular, the Sambians and the Samogitians. The local Prussians and the Saxon invaders had a tenuous relationship with one another. Religiously the two clashed often, but the new trade and technologies the Saxons brought as well as the castles they built stabilized the Prussians. Prussian leaders recognized that the Saxons put them in an advantage over the local tribes. In the two years, a large number of Anglo-Prussians had been born, usually from Saxon fathers and Prussian mothers. Tensions rose over the future sight of Cyningscír (Cyningshire) where the Anglo-Prussians attempted to build a fishing wharf.

1070copy.png

Map of the Baltic Coast in 1070, Marienscír in orange, Sambia in Blue and Samogitia in Pink.

April 13th, 1070

Morcar sat under a roof that was once the ship he had sailed to this far-off and mysterious land. The great longhouse, the Géancymeinn, served as Morcar’s capital and his home. He read letters from his brother Edwin, the only other person who knew of his location. His brother wrote that the war was still raging, and that Northumbria was still under the control of the Saxons. He suggested that in time Morcar could return with his Saxons and Prussians to drive a killing blow to William, but Morcar remained skeptical.

“My lord, we have word from the northern settlements.”

“Yes, and what do they send, Marshal?”

“It seems local natives are not willing to cooperate. In fact, two large coastal tribes seem to have banded together to fight us.”

“And here we are with a mere 3,000 soldiers.”

“Spies say that the enemy has about a combined total of 4,000 soldiers, but we shall defeat them with pure might.”

“I trust you to lead the host with honor.”

“I will, my lord. The pagans have put little resistance to my sword so far, I doubt it will be an issue.”

Morcar had suffered a nearly fatal wound during the Prussian wars. His wound left him homebound and very weak.

The Sambian Wars started in the summer of 1070 and lasted until November of that same year. Some 3,000 Saxon soldiers and 1,000 Prussian allies fought against some 6,000 tribal warriors. The wars attracted little attention from Christendom. William the Conqueror was very much unaware that one of his major rivals had escaped to the Baltic coast.

Marienscir1071copy.png

The County of Marienscír and its three fortresses.

December 1st, 1070

The victory over the Sambians and Samogitians put the Saxons in a strong position. Morcar had ordered three fortresses to be built to protect the three major Saxon settlements. In Cyningscír the Saxons began work on one of these fortresses. On an island just off the coast of port the fortress would eventually stand. Built between 1070 and 1073 and then expanded throughout the years it would eventually grow to be one of the largest castles in the Baltic region.

Meanwhile, Morcar was faced with the reinvasion of England, an action that many in his court supported. His brother Edwin had sailed to meet with the exiles.

“Morcar, we stand in a position to win this war!”

“I don’t believe it; Philippe of France will ensure William remains on the throne. He cannot risk an England that is not allied to France.”

“But brother, even Normans have joined our cause!”

“Edwin, they are after their own gains. They don’t care about our cause; they don’t care about our power.”

“And you would rather rule over this swamp?”

“I would, if the alternative was death.”

“Well, you seek dishonor.”

“Dishonor will be forgotten, but here our dynasty is planted to grow. History will remember that.”

“And I shall never forget, brother.”

The two brothers were silent, staring at each other. Morcar was seated on his throne, and warmed under a blanket he hid his illness from his followers and now his brother. Edwin eventually convinced his brother to send support to England to help the cause of the Saxon Earls and their Norman allies. The next year would bring one of the bloodiest years in the English civil war.

You're making good headway amongst the Prussians, it is a pity we can't do much more to help our brothers back home, but ce la guerre eh? Hopefully the civil war will go well for the English.

Nice work there. You've made this strange new world seem very real. Don't spend too much time fighting in England or you're likely to find your nice new castles full of Lithuanians.

I wonder if the Saxon culture of the royalty and nobility will be replaced by Prussian culture, in time. It happened in England, except with Norman culture being replaced.

Heck, who wouldnt want to be Prussian? Granted, we are talking about Old Prussian, but it's just as awesome to me! :cool:

Well, it looks like some more Saxons (Englisc) will end up fleeing to Prussia.

That would be an interesting synthesis of Englisc and Prussian culture and language, especially since there are enough Saxons to keep their culture language living on, if not heavy influence on any future culture; according to your story.

I still suggest that in the time Prussia should become either Saxon cultured or mod in a new culture, Anglo-Prussian, to represent the merged culture and mixed language. I would see there being three main language in time, Englisc with strong Prussian influence for the elite and their family, Englisc diluted with Prussian, Anglo-Prussian, (like Romanian with extremely heavy influence from Slavic languages) for the knights, merchants, and higher level of peasants and freemen, and Prussian with Englisc influence for the serfs and perhaps Prussian who joined Englisc freely. I have a hunch that in the end, it will be Anglo-Prussian being the main language for the people in area.

Excellent chapter! :) Good luck!

Wow, I am quite surprised with everyone's enthusiasm for this AAR. I enjoy writing this one because the chapters are short and easy on my eyes. In my last AAR each update was a minimum of 5 pages single spaced, these are about 2 double. It means I can write them in between lab reports and homework.

Chapter three has a prelude, but no story yet... and I have a lab report and some aeromechanics to figure, so I'll be around.