+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Development Diary #14 - 28th of January 2009

Achtung PanzerArsenal of DemocracyFor The Glory

Quote Originally Posted by King View Post
    It's when it changes specific name, like Panzer IV -> Panther. The names are flavour, they are both medium tanks, but one just has more research than the other.

Lt. General
    EU3 CompleteVictoria: Revolutions

Would there be some pictures for the techs?
    Like when you start researching "artic warfare" to see some troops with white camouflage and ski. IMO it would add more flavor to the game.

Would the "practical experience" help the building time and cost, or only the research?

BTW it looks very nice that, that you can choose with what to equip your divisions (more or less AT, small arms ...)
    ¡Ay, caramba!
    I'm going down to the Great river of Mississippi!!!!!

200k clubCrusader Kings IIDeus VultDivine WindVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeSengokuVictoria 2

Quote Originally Posted by Hansag View Post
    Will tech's upgrade the Brigades instantly upon research, or will you actually have to use IC's to upgrade the old ones?
    Got to pay to upgrade them just like HoI2
    Nostalgia is not as good as it used to be

EU3 Complete

Blog Entries
    As far as I understand the militia small arms debate, I can assume that researching more advanced infantry small arms would give a huge bonus to researching militia small arms so that once you get infantry small arms, you can quickly pull your militia to a similar tech level, but at the same time preventing china who was boosted militia-tech-wise turn into an infantry research powerhouse.

That's all my assumption of course.
    Last edited by praxiteles; 28-01-2009 at 13:59. Reason: preventing->providing. very critical typo.
    o=||==Official=Royal=Scribe=of=Suenik==||=o

heisenbug: /hi:´zen·buhg/, n.
    [from Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle in quantum physics]
    A bug that disappears or alters its behavior when one attempts to probe or isolate it

Darkest HourHearts of Iron IIIVictoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2

I love it Johan, looks definitly improved from the tech team system . So basically what you mean is that if a certain number of techs are avaible, then a specific model is able to built? Like I have to wait for a 37mm gun and medium tank chasis to upgrade to a Panzer III on the German side.
    Awarded an Honorary Iron Cross 1st Class by TheHyphenatedOne

List of AARs

Quote Originally Posted by PIT_AMERO View Post
    Would there be some pictures for the techs?
    Like when you start researching "artic warfare" to see some troops with white camouflage and ski. IMO it would add more flavor to the game.

Would the "practical experience" help the building time and cost, or only the research?

BTW it looks very nice that, that you can choose with what to equip your divisions (more or less AT, small arms ...)
    Practical helps with building time and cost too.

Ob. d. Raumstreitkräfte Gen.Schuermann's Avatar
    Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDarkest HourFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    Victoria: RevolutionsSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided

Quote Originally Posted by Alojzy View Post
    It most likely means that YES, you can develop new level of weapons anytime you want, but every 2 years there is a barrier similar to the 'historical date" of development in HoI2.

Which means it's ineffiecient to do that all at once - as it will take ages to develop new model before historical date gets close.

Looks good on the first glance. Now, whip those betas to make it work perfectly!
    Ah, i see, yet i hope with no restraints within that "timeframe" of 2 years. Hmm i like that approach ebtter than the silly waiting got 1943 to get the next rifle models.

Or does that mean i can only research one model per 2 years, or are there in-between solutions?
    Was heute noch wie ein Märchen klingt, kann morgen Wirklichkeit sein. Hier ist ein Märchen von übermorgen: Es gibt keine Nationalstaaten mehr. Es gibt nur noch die Menschheit und ihre Kolonien im Weltraum. Man siedelt auf fernen Sternen. Der Meeresboden ist als Wohnraum erschlossen. Mit heute noch unvorstellbaren Geschwindigkeiten durcheilen Raumschiffe unser Milchstraßensystem. Eins dieser Raumschiffe ist die ORION, winziger Teil eines gigantischen Sicherheitssystems, das die Erde vor Bedrohungen aus dem All schützt. Begleiten wir die ORION und ihre Besatzung bei ihrem Patrouillendienst am Rande der Unendlichkeit.

EU3 Complete

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gen.Schuermann View Post
    Ah, i see, yet i hope with no restraints within that "timeframe" of 2 years. Hmm i like that approach ebtter than the silly waiting got 1943 to get the next rifle models.

Or does that mean i can only research one model per 2 years, or are there in-between solutions?
    you can always delay some other research and tech-rush the precious gewehr 43 and give it to your '39-by-other-standards infantry brigades. The consequence is you will fall behind some other area of research, important or not.
    o=||==Official=Royal=Scribe=of=Suenik==||=o

heisenbug: /hi:´zen·buhg/, n.
    [from Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle in quantum physics]
    A bug that disappears or alters its behavior when one attempts to probe or isolate it

Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDarkest HourFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III

Quote Originally Posted by Slaughts View Post
    I love it Johan, looks definitly improved from the tech team system . So basically what you mean is that if a certain number of techs are avaible, then a specific model is able to built? Like I have to wait for a 37mm gun and medium tank chasis to upgrade to a Panzer III on the German side.
    What i get is when certain viriables match with the database, then it is named "Panzer III" or something. As soon as they change, the database checks again for a similar one, like "Panzer IV Ausf. A" or so.
    Was heute noch wie ein Märchen klingt, kann morgen Wirklichkeit sein. Hier ist ein Märchen von übermorgen: Es gibt keine Nationalstaaten mehr. Es gibt nur noch die Menschheit und ihre Kolonien im Weltraum. Man siedelt auf fernen Sternen. Der Meeresboden ist als Wohnraum erschlossen. Mit heute noch unvorstellbaren Geschwindigkeiten durcheilen Raumschiffe unser Milchstraßensystem. Eins dieser Raumschiffe ist die ORION, winziger Teil eines gigantischen Sicherheitssystems, das die Erde vor Bedrohungen aus dem All schützt. Begleiten wir die ORION und ihre Besatzung bei ihrem Patrouillendienst am Rande der Unendlichkeit.

Quote Originally Posted by Gen.Schuermann View Post

Hey, I'm not dev - but since game will most likely follow HoI2 behavior to some extend, you will be able to start earlier, and depending on your theoretical/practical modifiers, time to "historical date" (here date + offset, actually) and R&D spending, you will be able to develop it some time before the historical date. Still, it will be getting progresively harder each time you try to "outreach" historical development and hampers your R&D on the other fields.

I'm not worried about this part, it seems solid (unless theoretical/practical values get out of hand and allow players to develop things waaay to early - but betas shoudl take care of balancing it out).

More interesting is the question of those 4 sliders that divide R&D, Officer, Diplomacy and Espionage spendings. I just hope they are as exploit proof (no 100% R&D for example) as historical dates of techs are.

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineMagickaMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengokuSupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandCK2: Holy Knight
    EU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event
    EUIV: Conquest of ParadiseCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham

Blog Entries
    You are under no obligation to research any tech. Militia technologies give you better Militia units, if you have no interest in building Militia then don't research it. The same could be said for Aircraft Carriers or Strategic Bombers as the German player.
    But wouldn't it in some cases be true that one tech area could influence another tech area?
    Fear not, for I am with you; Be not dismayed, for I am your God. -Isa 41:10

For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life. -John 3:16
    -------------------------------

My machine specs: i7 2600 @ 3.4 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, Radeon HD6870 with 1 GB RAM, Windows 7 64-bit

Quote Originally Posted by praxiteles View Post
    you can always delay some other research and tech-rush the precious gewehr 43 and give it to your '39-by-other-standards infantry brigades. The consequence is you will fall behind some other area of research, important or not.
    Yet according to the code i saw there is a time limit to that, every 2 years. or is that only the OVERALL division, and i can research rifles as much as i want, so a G3 in a 1945 division could be realistic?

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 CompleteHearts of Iron III
    Europa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2Rome: Vae VictisCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IVEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Res Publica

Blog Entries
    Very nice DD...Thx to paradox!!!

Hearts of Iron III CollectionVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Former Far Eastern Colony of the European Union
    You are under no obligation to research any tech. Militia technologies give you better Militia units, if you have no interest in building Militia then don't research it. The same could be said for Aircraft Carriers or Strategic Bombers as the German player.
    Perhaps A Militia and Infantry brigade are as powerful (though I doubt a militia is as efficient), but since research isn't poured into militia research, they aren't really as high quality as Infantry.
    In a way, one could imagine Leadership on militia research as political lobbying here though.

Unit Organization could also be a good research tech (i.e. you make studies on what the units really need in terms of current weapons etc. so that they use them more efficiently etc.)
    Nationality: European
    Religion: Atheist
    Ideology: Liberal
    Issues: Laissez-fair/Free trade
    Current work: Clerk
    Cash reserves: £9
    Revolt risk: 0%
    Militancy: 3
    Consciousness: 9

Hearts of Iron III CollectionVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Thumbs up

Sweet

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineMagickaMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengokuSupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandCK2: Holy Knight
    EU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event
    EUIV: Conquest of ParadiseCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham

Blog Entries
    Would it be cheaper than in HoI2? Upgrading there was time consuming. Not to talk of micromanagement hell, adjusting that slider all the time. And with the new tech system, it appears to me you'll have to upgrade more often than in HoI2.
    Fear not, for I am with you; Be not dismayed, for I am your God. -Isa 41:10

For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life. -John 3:16
    -------------------------------

My machine specs: i7 2600 @ 3.4 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, Radeon HD6870 with 1 GB RAM, Windows 7 64-bit

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonEU3 CompleteFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Alojzy View Post
    Hey, I'm not dev - but since game will most likely follow HoI2 behavior to some extend, you will be able to start earlier, and depending on your theoretical/practical modifiers, time to "historical date" (here date + offset, actually) and R&D spending, you will be able to develop it some time before the historical date.

I'm not worried about this part, it seems solid (unless theoretical/practical values get out of hand and allow players to develop things waaay to early - but betas shoudl take care of balancing it out).

More interesting is the question of those 4 sliders that divide R&D, Officer, Diplomacy and Espionage spendings. I just hope they are as exploit proof (no 100% R&D for example) as historical dates of techs are.
    Hmm...if you can research some like cavalry smallarms (+0.2 HA) endless, in the most tech I don't see a "historical" date.
    Because of all these small bonuses on combat, it is an ungoing process, which has no historically context.....at least for some techs.

The only difference is that someone has level 5 (+1.0 HA) and another country has level 3 (+0.6 HA). And exactly this could be the advantage, that there's no direct link to a historical date
    Beer...more than just a breakfast drink!!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Member of Stonyroad Graphic Group (www.stonyroad.de)

New Doomsday Icons
    39 nations, 3.259 Icons
    Cpack's Doomsday Icons

Thumbs up

Sweet.

(can you leap-frog though? i.e. upgrading Mauser 98k to Assault Rifle 44 without adopting a Semi-Automatic one in between. - Later DD perhaps)

Quote Originally Posted by Cpack View Post
    Hmm...if you can research some like cavalry smallarms (+0.2 HA) endless, in the most tech I don't see a "historical" date.
    Because of all these small bonuses on combat, it is an ungoing process, which has no historically context.....at least for some techs.

The only difference is that someone has level 5 (+1.0 HA) and another country has level 3 (+0.6 HA). And exactly this could be the advantage, that there's no direct link to a historical date
    Now THAT sounds awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Cpack View Post

The numbers mean nothing at the moment.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast