+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cosmopolitaine culture in France

Cosmopolitaine culture in France

I was wondering if somebody knew why the culture for some provinces in France is 'Cosmopolitaine' ?

What happened to good old 'French' culture ?

I do not want to start a debate on this one. I know cultures can be a sensitive subject. I just wanted to understand the logic behind.

Cosmopolitaine means the mix of different cultures. So I guess that it represents the mix from the Frenc cultures like Norman, Gascon, Occitan, etc ?

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteFor The GloryMount & Blade: WarbandEuropa Universalis IV

I think it's just supposed to represent Parisian culture.

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of Nations
    EUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica

Well, calling it 'French' wouldn't work because Gascon and Occitaine are also French...so you need a word that refers to 'standard' French, centered around Paris. I have no idea why Paradox chose Cosmopolitaine, but I can't come up with a better term myself.
    A mod for Europa Universalis IV that enhances religion in the age of faith and reason
    Over 1,100 events and decisions for over 30 religions
    Wiki
    Version 1.7.10 Standalone (October 17, 2014) or Steam Workshop

Path of Adventure: A mod like no other
    A procedurally-generated adventure quest for EUIV
    Version 1.7.02 Standalone (September 21, 2014) or Steam Workshop

I agree. I just think the word cosmopolitaine is not appropriate. I would much rather see 'Langues d'oïl', or 'Francien' or 'Central French' or even 'Old French'. For me, cosmopolitan culture is something that I would find in present day Toronto.

I got the names from wikipedia : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_French

Thanks for the answer, I now understand that it is from Paradox and not something from Magna Mundi. I think i'll modify my game to change that name for the flavor.

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessCK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Parisian, or Parisien might work. Oil could also work (to counter Oc)

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis

I like it; it sounds fancy.
    Alaska: Like Finland, but with less death metal and a lot more Republicans

King: "As Vic2 development came close to completion we have to think about what the hell will we do next? We picked CK2 after Doomdark had a vision of the Little Baby Jesus and he was crying because there was no CK2."

Perhaps Urbaine (meaning, obviously, urban). Like many people in big cities, Parisians often refer to Paris as "the City" and themselves as "Urban".

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultDiplomacyEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For The GloryHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Rome GoldSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedEU3 Collectors Edition
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica

It's quite hard but maybe "langues d'oïl" is best.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Langues_d%27o%C3%AFl
    Le nécessaire de survie du joueur paradox (à commencer par les patchs et toutes les infos indispensables) :
    EU3 :Magna Mundi ou MEIOU et le reste.
    EU Rome Gold : ses mods.
    CK : la traduction de Deus Vult, les modifs graphiques.

Venez découvrir la fabuleuse histoire du sultanat de Brunei
    Sinon vous pouvez toujours vous rabattre sur ma croisade au Moyen-Orient.

Financial Director tretii_sleva's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIHearts of Iron IIIEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition

I would just simply put it "French". "Cosmopolitaine" means really - no nationality, it's someone with no roots or origin. Almost sounds as bad as phrase "politically correct".

Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindHearts of Iron III
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: RomeSengoku
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessEuropa Universalis IV

Quote Originally Posted by Minchandre View Post
    Perhaps Urbaine (meaning, obviously, urban). Like many people in big cities, Parisians often refer to Paris as "the City" and themselves as "Urban".
    But that is essentially what "cosmopolitaine" means... if you disregard the recent meaning, of course.

Here is the etymology of the word found on th internet :

cosmopolitan (adj.)
    1844, from cosmopolite "citizen of the world" (1614), from Gk. kosmopolites, from kosmos "world" (see cosmos) + polites "citizen," from polis "city" (see policy (1)). Cosmopolitanism first recorded 1828.

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=cosmopolitan

it seems obvious to me from the etymology that the word does not describe well the 'langues d'oil' of the north of France at the time like Picard and Orleanais.

Parisian would mostlikely be the best for it.

Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindHearts of Iron III
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: RomeSengoku
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessEuropa Universalis IV

For Ile-De-France. mayhaps.

But for Vendee? No.

You want something that means "French" but isn't "French", and there is no equivalent to "British - English" or "German - Prussian - Bavarian" or whatnot.

Cosmopolitaine is as good as it's going to get.

"Langue d'oïl" seems to be the closest to what is desired, despite its awkwardness. There were two great linguistic groups in France, designated by the way one said 'yes' : "Langue d'oc" (aka "Occitan") and "Langue d'oïl" (without a single word equivalent which would be handy here).

If you look at a map of the dialects belonging to the "Occitan group", you can see that the area corresponds in EU3 to the (biggest) "Occitain" culture + "Gascon", "Catalan" and "Aquitaine" cultures. Likewise, the area of the "Langue d'oïl" corresponds in EU3 to the (biggest) "Cosmopolitaine" culture + "Norman", "Wallonian" and "Burgondian" cultures.

So, the counterpart of "Occitain", "Cosmopolitan", could be also named after the language group which is the counterpart to "Occitan" (and I don't know where the second 'i' in "Occitain" comes from).

Europa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition

you know, being part french myself, and to be ver honest i think the following:
    parisian would be quite accurate, simply because thats what it was always. Truly, paris subjulgated all of 'france', with its culture, its always been like that. and even up til today its a point of great tormoil and arguments inside france, everyone outside of paris hates paris, because they cant have there own culture expressed.

for instance a few years back brittany was trying to ahve its own language taught in schools ALSO, and other things like that happen all the time. the south west of france(languedoc) is rather italian-ish in my view(as in more old roman then gaulese). and things vary.
    but the ONLY 'french' culture is parisian, you shoudnt mistake france for a 'nation', the truth is that its a very devided region in the globe, where the central aristocracy of paris has always tried to have dominion over. thats why there is no 'french' name for anything, there are simply too many different groups around.

but still... the appropriate culture, if they knew anything about france(paradox), would be Parisian. the evil paris bullcrap, that oppressed and controlled the whole region. in someway its been that since Charlemaigne, but thats a whole nother story...

my 2 cents: Parisian.

cheers

HoI AnthologyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDivine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Semper FiVictoria 2Pride of NationsEU3 Collectors Edition500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order

The language "langue d'Oïl" spoken in the area of Paris and Orleans whom stemmed the modern french language could be called "Francien" (19th century neologism).
    Traditionnally the term French (broad sense) covers the languages of Northern Gaul (walloon, burgundian, norman, picard and "francien") and is so an homonym of "langue d'oïl". But as the kings extended their power over the territory they imposed the Paris's language instead of the regional tongues and so, the "langue d'oïl" from Paris became known as French.
    Till the French Revolution, only a quarter of the inhabitants of France spoke French (as the langue from Paris) in everyday life. French was nonetheless the language of justice, trade, church and administration form the middle of the 16th century.
    Cosmopolitain might refer to the situation of French in the 18th century where the European nobiliary and intellectual elites spoke French in their letters and diplomatic meetings (Remember Diderot and Catherine the Great or Voltaire and Frederic the Great).
    ------ NEC PLURIBUS IMPAR ------

the french of paris is never called "parisien" it is called "francais parisien" or "francien"

Francien is nineteenth-century linguists' term applied to the particular langue d'oïl that was spoken in the Île-de-France region (with Paris at its center) before the establishment of the French language as a standard language.[1]

According to one theory of the development of French, Francien was chosen out of all the competing Oïl languages as an official language (Norman and Picard being the main competitors in the mediaeval period). The theory currently prevailing, however, is that Francien was one of the dialects in the dialect continuum on top of which an administrative language, untrammelled by perceived regionalisms, was imposed as a compromise means of communication and record to replace Latin.

Personally, and since we're talking about a cultural group rather than just a language, I would go for Francien. It evokes both the frankish roots and foreshadow the upcoming domination of the Ile-de-France region, both culturally and linguistically.

However I'd suggest to add an event chain like the one in Britain where english, welch and scots become british sometime after the formation of great Britain. We'd have the various sub-cultures become french as the unification and centralisation of the french nation state progresses (combination of NI, Decisions and Policy slider positions).

G.

Quote Originally Posted by grallonsphere View Post
    Personally, and since we're talking about a cultural group rather than just a language, I would go for Francien. It evokes both the frankish roots and foreshadow the upcoming domination of the Ile-de-France region, both culturally and linguistically.

However I'd suggest to add an event chain like the one in Britain where english, welch and scots become british sometime after the formation of great Britain. We'd have the various sub-cultures become french as the unification and centralisation of the french nation state progresses (combination of NI, Decisions and Policy slider positions).

G.
    Only Welsh converts to English.

The rest is basically unnecessary as France and Great Britain have the "union" effect applied to them, causing all cultures in the French and British culture groups to be treated as accepted.

+ Reply to Thread