• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It's great but what is the difference between create puppet and liberate country?
I imagine it is something like this:
Liberate: Allies overrun the occupied lowlands, Belgium and the Netherlands can now be released (liberated) and will exist as fully independent countries (possibly allied)

Puppet: A german player overruns the Ukraine and decides to create a puppet regime there. Technically an independent country but with obligations to germany. e.g. deliveries of raw materials, cheaper trade and no or little freedom to make its own policies.

I would love it, if the effects of the ministers were "person"-based rather than "character"-based.

Rather than giving the "silent workhorse" +10% IC, why not say "Rudolf Hess, in the role of HoG, gives +7% IC" or something along those lines. That Rudolf Hess becomes Rudolf Hess, and not Rudolf "Silent Workhorse" Hess. And Martin Bormann has, say +8% IC and -5% Org due to his possessiveness or whatever, of Hitler (he kept some people away from Hitler on his own initiative IIRC, affecting Hitlers knowledge of any given situation, which would interrupt the org (or whatever) of the army/party etc.).

That way, it actually matters whether you pick Busch or Manstein as CoS, (Or whether it's Dill or Brooke as CIGS in UK).

Looks wonderful~! Also please attention on "Liberate Nation" and "Create puppet". At last, we can decide the destiny of new nation whether puppet or not. Wonderful all.

This plus the previous DD is generating some Obama-levels of optimism in me :cool:

Question though - if it's possible for a democracy to become a dictatorship via internal politics game mechanics, what bout a dictatorship turning democrat? Can Japan chose to curb it's Army and institute democratic reforms? Can Salazar be kicked out? An early (39) war-losing Hitler get kicked out by German democrats? Or Commies for that matter?

Indeed, I hope Japan is not a lost cause? They had working parliamentary institutions that were never abolished, so it shouldn't be a one way street to Tojo Avenue for them.

This is a war game, the laws are all about fighting wars.
What does education investment have to do with that?

I guess it could increase leadership... hm.

I'm kind of sad to see sliders go. I hope there are other ways to slowly lead your country into another direction politically.

This plus the previous DD is generating some Obama-levels of optimism in me :cool:

Question though - if it's possible for a democracy to become a dictatorship via internal politics game mechanics, what bout a dictatorship turning democrat? Can Japan chose to curb it's Army and institute democratic reforms? Can Salazar be kicked out? An early (39) war-losing Hitler get kicked out by German democrats? Or Commies for that matter?

This is a good question, since Germany really didn't have any parties except for the NSDAP in 1939 as all the others were banned and most of their active supporters and leaders dead or imprisoned. I wonder if parties are handled differently in dictatorships than in democracies. Maybe the main parties there are harder to bring down or have a certain fixed popularity bonus?

This is a good question, since Germany really didn't have any parties except for the NSDAP in 1939 as all the others were banned and most of their active supporters and leaders dead or imprisoned. I wonder if parties are handled differently in dictatorships than in democracies. Maybe the main parties there are harder to bring down or have a certain fixed popularity bonus?

Probably like this :

"This is a dynamic variable that can be altered via espionage in either your home country or others and via events and decisions"

It's amazing what your police force can do against those who oppose you if you are willing to invest the leadership points.

What really bothers me is the possibility of losing a lot of national differences because of the absence of a slider system. In HoI2 you could have minute differences between Norway and Sweden (one could be a little more right-wing, the other could be a little bit more authoritarian, etc.). By making it all into a handful of laws, you lose a lot of granularity. I mean, how many laws are there going to be for countries like Norway and Sweden? 10? There are, by contrast, hundreds of sliders combinations. This very, very sad.

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of laws. I just think they would have complemented the sliders. There's just no way to have enough laws to produce as many differences as there are in HoI2.

A quick warning: This was an issue already encountered in Vicky, but appears in this screenshot as well. "Social Conservative" in english does not mean the same as Swedish socialkonservative! In English Social Conservative is someone opposing aborting and gay rights. In Swedish socialkonservative is to Conservative what a "Social Liberal" is to a Liberal. The best translations of socialkonservative is either British "Liberal Conservative" or American "Compassionate Conservative".

No color pictures lol:D, still a great feeling of Nostalgia when I saw them. Nice to see the effects have also been modified, so what does Country Unity actually do anyway? or is that being saved for another time.

I also see the Law system from VV has been brought across with a few modifications a good change I believe from the old slider system. And I assume you will show Britain's diplomatic screen at some point right;).

What really bothers me is the possibility of losing a lot of national differences because of the absence of a slider system. In HoI2 you could have minute differences between Norway and Sweden (one could be a little more right-wing, the other could be a little bit more authoritarian, etc.). By making it all into a handful of laws, you lose a lot of granularity. I mean, how many laws are there going to be for countries like Norway and Sweden? 10? There are, by contrast, hundreds of sliders combinations. This very, very sad.

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of laws. I just think they would have complemented the sliders. There's just no way to have enough laws to produce as many differences as there are in HoI2.

But on the other hand,what were sliders,really.

How much does X amount to one side of the slider or the other represent? They weren't really quantifiable.

This would already be problematic to sliders such as the Free Market - Central Planning or Hawk-Lobby and even worse for more 'fine' stuff like Right-Left wing and authoritarian-democratic.

You know...what does "2 moves to authoritarian" mean? That the govt beats up protesters,but doesn't kill them? What?

With laws you can easily quantify stuff. The govt either bans parties or not,either invests X% in GDP in the military or not. Hard stuff that can be based on hard facts and numbers.

Thats the second most interesting development diary!I love the idea behind laws.I just hope it won`t be limited solely to mobilisation and other military stuff.It would be cool if you can actually use laws to direct the economy and improve it.I also particulary enjoy the ideas behind foreign ministers finally it would really matter which guy you have in charge.:)

A quick warning: This was an issue already encountered in Vicky, but appears in this screenshot as well. "Social Conservative" in english does not mean the same as Swedish socialkonservative! In English Social Conservative is someone opposing aborting and gay rights. In Swedish socialkonservative is to Conservative what a "Social Liberal" is to a Liberal. The best translations of socialkonservative is either British "Liberal Conservative" or American "Compassionate Conservative".

It's a generic description, not a Sweden-specific label. Social Conservatives in HoI were always exactly that - the most right-wing you could get without actually sliding into paternalism.

Compassionate Conservative, by the way, is a terrible suggestion. The term wasn't around until the 1980's.

i love laws. i love HOI3
I'm already addicted.
I'm gona dumpt my fireinds, parents a nd wife when it comes out.. at least for a dozen years.

It's amazing what your police force can do against those who oppose you if you are willing to invest the leadership points.
In other words, it's possible for foreign powers to force a "democratization", as is for extreme events. But the run-of-the-mill random events and game mechanics won't do it.

Sounds good. The option is there, but 95% of the time things will go historically. :)

Alexander Seil said:
NOW you say that, but when I pointed it out about Naval Units you were happy and grumble grumble etc etc [/bitter old man] :mad:

euhm, yes there is. We had 7? slider each with 10? positions, so more then 10000000? laws make more differences ;)

Seriously though, laws represent much more fundamental differences between countries, instead of one country having 10% manower experience and the next country having 15% manpower experience...

Lovely!