• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Why are you still using HoI1 era minister pictures when mods have already provided flashy color photos?

because most people prefer those black and white photos.

Laws system not "binary" in scope

Sliders are an abstract and while they may FEEL to provide more variance than a "binary law" system they do not. If there were only a few laws then yes that arguement could be made but looking at the laws slider I see that there are a LOT of laws to choose from and I imagine that laws combinations open up more law choices. What laws allow is for far more variance than simple sliders.

The problem with sliders is they are restictive in that they don't explain HOW a nation is 1/2 free market and 1/2 planned economy. A sliders modifiers are arbitray and not expansive. Yet laws provide the explination of how and where your economy is both partialy planned and yet still has free market aspects. And the modifiers to your economy are specific to your laws. This creates the possability of having two nations that would have had the same slider setting in HOI2 having different laws in the new system and therefore different effects, instead of the exact same effect the slider provides.

While a SINGLE law would provide a binary choice, multiple laws provide for non-binary choices, in the same way computers work. Even though the switches in my cpu are all binary, either on or off. I can still express NON binary concepts. I can type in a non binary language by using GROUPS of switches. Such is the same with law system Groups of interconected laws create a non binary representation of the ideology a slider represented in the old system. And because sliders had only 10 (or 11?) steps they creates a very limited representation yet with laws you can create a far bigger variance than just 10 or 11 possible choices.

I do not understand why there is so much resistance to laws.

These ideas have potential. It would be nice if the political/diplomatic aspects of the game were opened up and integrated.

Wow - looks fantastic!

Couple of questions:

1. With elections (in democratic countries of course!) are they fixed at certain dates, or can they be called whenever the player wishes? (like in Victoria)

2. It is possible to alter ministers so that they can be placed in any post? In real life, politicians serve in a huge variety of roles in a Cabinet, rather than just economics or defence etc. It would make the game more realistic and would allow for greater variety in Cabinets.

Thanks! :)

I hope elections aren't fixed terms regardless of what's going on the in world. I mean there wasn't an election in the UK from 1935 until 1945 (owing to the economic circumstances and then of course the war) and it would be strange to have one in-game.

Whatever Paradox chooses to do regarding this, I hope it is moddable. I wonder if it's purely event-driven (ala HoI2) or they incorporate a system similar to EU3 (fixed, generic events every four years) but connected to the game's new political system.

Personally, I'd like to see a system whereby the political nature of various countries is taken into account, but with perhaps a slow rise in dissent between elections (which is often the case anyway) - that way, a long period of time without an election being called could prove problematic, and so at some point an election will become inevitable.

That said, parliamentary (and other systems of government) terms need to be taken into account. I can't speak for many countries as I don't know their protocol, but in the UK it is five years, having been seven from 1715 until 1911.

Sliders are an abstract and while they may FEEL to provide more variance than a "binary law" system they do not. If there were only a few laws then yes that arguement could be made but looking at the laws slider I see that there are a LOT of laws to choose from and I imagine that laws combinations open up more law choices. What laws allow is for far more variance than simple sliders.

While a SINGLE law would provide a binary choice, multiple laws provide for non-binary choices, in the same way computers work. Even though the switches in my cpu are all binary, either on or off. I can still express NON binary concepts. I can type in a non binary language by using GROUPS of switches. Such is the same with law system Groups of interconected laws create a non binary representation of the ideology a slider represented in the old system. And because sliders had only 10 (or 11?) steps they creates a very limited representation yet with laws you can create a far bigger variance than just 10 or 11 possible choices.
Lets see then. 7 Sliders with 10 choices each. Thats 10^7 = 10'000'000 possible combinations before you concider the pretty complex restrictions they have on each other. To have more possible combinations with laws we would need 24 unique laws (16million combinations). But these will be restricted aswell, your not likely to ennact a full mobilization before you have a limited one in place for example. So Id say as long as they have 30 laws or more we are sure to be better off.

I do not understand why there is so much resistance to laws.
Well I love Laws :) "Its good to be the King".

The same old problem I guess...

:D It seems just at a glance at the posts that the same old problem which we...the testers... had in HOI and HOI 2 continues.There are those who wants a strict historical development in the goverments .i.e. this was never fully implemented because it calls for an awful lot of dead- retired events (there are many persons who changes in the timescale 1936-1945 and even more after 1945..;) It also called for a lot of elelction events to make these changes and if all were to be implemented for all countries the game would suffer. In contrast to the history buffs there was the wing in development team who wanted it all to be free...so to speak which gave some puzzling governments in some countries...so I kind like the new ideas to HOI 3 but it could call for those massive death events...the same would apply to generals who actually died during the war..and that would inevitably spark of the never ending dicussion....why do I have to loose Rommel etc.

I notice someone commented...the same old pics....well since it was me who basically collected and made all of them I am sort of glad to see them again.
But in many cases I did find better pics that were in the game but they were never used..and that is no complaint over Paradox..I guess they simply had so much else to do which was more important than replacing a few pics...:rofl:

However now for HOI3 there might just be time to correct that and a few blunders too;)

One question is about if there exists any way to describe the country status under a limited war?

For example, USA only have part of its IC (50% maybe 70%) could be used on military when peace time, and we can understand that it will mobilize the whole country after Pearl Harbour Incident.

But when USA fire with a small country like Nicaragua (just a imagination), there is no reason to keep it in a fully war-state(no peace penalty for IC) for such a partial war.

In HOI2, there is a hole that you can declare war to a small country to avoid the IC peace penalty, which is really not realistic. I'm not sure if it's still exists in HOI3?

Hearts of Iron 3 is still a war game, we only need enough nuance in so far as the war goes.

I thought HOI was a grand strategy game not just a war game, and therefore politics, economics and diplomacy play a major role.

As for the laws, fine that you can change them but there should be a cost and some changes will need time to realize, i.e education policy, industrial policy. I would even say that some of those changes are asymmetric in real life as the transitions are not the same to go for highly educated to poor educated of viceversa

lol how is that possible?

That's like claiming people prefer black and white tv over color tv.

Yes, ofcourse it's possible.
In fact I just don't see color pictures fitting in a WW2 game/documentary/book.
Yes there were such, but there just aren't so cool.