+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Development Diary #12 - 14th of January 2009

Surely only the leader of an alliance (that would be Germany, then) should be able to declare a non-limited war - otherwise an Axis minor might suddenly declare war on someone and force the whole alliance into a war that the rest don't want to be in.

Quote Originally Posted by Piggy View Post
    We still have about 30 more DD's to go, what else have you guys got up your sleeves.
    I bet sub and air warfare are described in last 2

Philosopher of the Future Alexander Seil's Avatar
    Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Hearts of Iron IIIVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeSemper FiRome: Vae Victis

IMO they should be, over territorial claims and such. Also because of threat, as in HoI2 because of belligerence. It was possible to attack innocent countries as the British or the US in HoI2 simply by manipulating belligerence, which is still probably present as a tool in HoI3.

In any case, I don't subscribe to the thesis of democracies not making war against democracies...especially as the British almost invaded Norway historically.

Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDarkest HourDeus VultEast India Company
    Europa Universalis 3Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Europa Universalis: RomeSengokuRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband

I have a question regarding limited vs total war.

I am Germany, I want to invade the SU, I am allied with Japan, Italy, Rumania, Slovakia, and Hungary

why should I decide to go for limited war instead of total war? it is not in the best interest for Japan to be dragged into a war with the SU, but I am Germany, it is actually a very good deal for me to force Japan to attack the Soviets and divert at least some divisions to the far east.

Kind of make sense for the AI, but a human player should almost always force all the allies to join if fighting vs a challenging opponent, when you are bullying a very small country (picture Italy vs Ethiopia or SU vs baltic states) limited war might be OK.

That unless there are some penalties to total war.

Just a thought, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Seil View Post
    Don't think it was in the videos that were posted by visitors, or mentioned anywhere else, though, so it's new for people who haven't physically been in Leipzig Thanks
    IIRC it was mentioned, but the videos were very poor quality and you often could hardly hear Johan. I think you are right, it is like EUIII/EUR Stability, and there will no longer be Dissent. If so - fantastic I never liked that people didn't get enough consumers goods so they would go on strike, carry out sabotage, etc. Far too simplistic. Plenty of rebels have been perfectly well-off, and plenty of poor downtrodden people just put up with their lot and get on with it, especially in a War.
    "Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.” Sun Tzu

“Where force is necessary, there it must be applied boldly, decisively and completely. But one must know the limitations of force; one must know when to blend force with a maneuver, a blow with an agreement.” Leon Trotsky
    potski's HOI3 OOB Editor
    potski's HOI3 Province Editor

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Hearts of Iron IIIVictoria: Revolutions

Quote Originally Posted by potski View Post
    IIRC it was mentioned, but the videos were very poor quality and you often could hardly hear Johan. I think you are right, it is like EUIII/EUR Stability, and there will no longer be Dissent. If so - fantastic I never liked that people didn't get enough consumers goods so they would go on strike, carry out sabotage, etc. Far too simplistic. Plenty of rebels have been perfectly well-off, and plenty of poor downtrodden people just put up with their lot and get on with it, especially in a War.
    Hmm, I doubt that. First of all, Dissent is still definitely there. Look at any screenshot - it's right up there (the little flame icon). Now, the thing to the right of is probably National Unity (which makes sense - it's high and positive, while Dissent is low).*

Hmm, did I just emu potski?

* While the icon looks as if it has something to do with this diplomatic triangle thing, the fact that it's just one number should convince anyone that it cannot indicate anything directly with respect to the factional stance of the country. The reason it looks that way is probably because, well, the less National Unity you have, the more your country is being torn apart by factional partisans in the government.

Hearts of Iron IIISemper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by kstanb View Post

I am Germany, I want to invade the SU, I am allied with Japan, Italy, Rumania, Slovakia, and Hungary

why should I decide to go for limited war instead of total war? it is not in the best interest for Japan to be dragged into a war with the SU, but I am Germany, it is actually a very good deal for me to force Japan to attack the Soviets and divert at least some divisions to the far east.

Kind of make sense for the AI, but a human player should almost always force all the allies to join if fighting vs a challenging opponent, when you are bullying a very small country (picture Italy vs Ethiopia or SU vs baltic states) limited war might be OK.

Just a thought, thanks
    Looking at the tabs in the screen shot, you have an option to join an alliance and to join a faction. If Japan joins your alliance then I guess you would force her into war as you describe. If however she just joins your faction though then maybe she would stay out of that conflict.

Thats my guess anyway.

I am Germany, I want to invade the SU, I am allied with Japan, Italy, Rumania, Slovakia, and Hungary why should I decide to go for limited war instead of total war? it is not in the best interest for Japan to be dragged into a war with the SU, but I am Germany, it is actually a very good deal for me to force Japan to attack the Soviets and divert at least some divisions to the far east.

I agree. War with soviets was a total war agains bolsheviks.
    And as I asked before: If you start a limited war and after some time want some help from your aliance then it should also be possible.

Quote Originally Posted by mbabbs View Post
    Looking at the tabs in the screen shot, you have an option to join an alliance and to join a faction. If Japan joins your alliance then I guess you would force her into war as you describe. If however she just joins your faction though then maybe she would stay out of that conflict.
    Thats my guess anyway.
    That is also an important question and i would like to know how it works.

Achtung PanzerArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the Americas
    Deus VultEast India CompanyEuropa Universalis 3For the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Semper FiSengokuSupreme Ruler: Cold WarSupreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2
    Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandPride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

Any thoughts on what the "activate credit" decision does, other then the obvious...?

200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIHearts of Iron IIISword of the Stars
    Sword of the Stars IIVictoria 2EU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Quote Originally Posted by Darkrenown View Post
    I dunno, I could see missions working. "Take Stalingrad", "No retreat", "Defend Singapore" etc
    There was talk about victory conditions earlier ("get 10 out of 15 and you win!"), I guess that is as far as mission stuff goes in HoI 3. I fear that real EU3 style missions would do more harm than good in HoI anyway.

Typing in all capital letters went out of style with FORTRAN.

200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIHearts of Iron IIISword of the Stars
    Sword of the Stars IIVictoria 2EU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Kind of make sense for the AI, but a human player should almost always force all the allies to join if fighting vs a challenging opponent
    And what if you know that Japan will have an even harder time against the US then?

Typing in all capital letters went out of style with FORTRAN.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattvas View Post
    So, every Faction will have its own "special powers"?
    The allies should have the power to summon Superman if they start losing.

I see reasons for a human player to use Limited War now, thinking about the Germany-Japan situation (you don't want Sudden Death for Japan because their whole army gets eaten by the Soviet Far Eastern Front in Manchuria). I hope the AI knows that too (so, for example, Bulgaria could historically opt out of war with the Soviets - I'm VERY glad King mentioned that they thought of that...).

In connection with this, I imagine that all this ideologically-inspired warfare has quite a few repercussions on internal politics, even beyond National Unity...for example, Bulgaria, a country with low National Unity, and a well-organized Communist Party joining the war against Comintern could result in a massive upsurge of terrorist activity by the Communists, perhaps even precipitating a revolution. Which would give Bulgaria a reason to stay away from the anti-Bolshevik crusade.
    Last edited by Alexander Seil; 14-01-2009 at 17:12.

Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDarkest HourDeus VultEast India Company
    Europa Universalis 3Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition

Quote Originally Posted by G'Kar View Post
    And what if you know that Japan will have an even harder time against the US then?
    That is their problem...

I will be the master of Europe by 1942, with enough IC to slowly start building a fleet to challenge the Americans by 1945/ 1946

EU3 Complete

I see reasons for a human player to use Limited War now, thinking about the Germany-Japan situation (you don't want Sudden Death for Japan because their whole army gets eaten by the Soviet Far Eastern Front in Manchuria). I hope the AI knows that too (so, for example, Bulgaria could historically opt out of war with the Soviets - I'm VERY glad King mentioned that they thought of that...).
    Yes, I hope countries now have a choice of being dragged into a war or not taking Bulgaria as a historical example.

Edit: and as mentioned before shouldn't all factions have the option to engage in a limited war? I was sort of hoping that limited war would be something where a country can fight wihtout getting meddled in unnecessary wars like Soviet invasion of Poland (instead of event that automatically transfers eastern territories to Soviets).

Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus Vult
    DiplomacyEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineIron CrossThe Kings CrusadeEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionPenumbra - Black Plague
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengokuSword of the Stars II
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the Arcane
    Pride of NationsEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

I literally came on today to suggest bringing back the triangular alignment system for international relations
    Revanche, A French AAR of The Great War (1914-1919) (Finished, Weekly AAR Showcase, 9th Jan '06)

President Petrov Basil Ivanovich of Kraszakistan (KLD)

What if Germany had won the Great War? Kaiserreich: Legacy of the Weltkrieg

That is their problem...

I will be the master of Europe by 1942, with enough IC to slowly start building a fleet to challenge the Americans by 1945/ 1946
    I just hope that the AI and game engine will not allow u to do it

Hearts of Iron III

Quote Originally Posted by King View Post
    No, now please go read the rules.
    how about something else, to add flavor, like the Balkenkreuz (image) or the Reichstag or something. I'm sure something non-offensive and non-banned can be found as a icon for the axis

There will be no sudden death, because with Japanese help, I will destroy the SU by 1942, they might get weakened against the American, but that is a war I won't be heavily involved (other than defending Europe and air warfare)until I have a decent fleet

Just a clarification for Limited War and I hope something that is part of the option.

Italy actually asked Bulgaria if she wanted to join in and she declined.

So if we are going to have an option for limited war there should also be a check box to "ask" certain allies to join in. For example on the eastern front, if memory does not fail me, while Italy, Hungary and Romania all took part in the invasion of the USSR once again Bulgaria did not partake in this.

So as Germany when I want to declare limited war I would click on a check box to ask Hungary and Romania to join me because I will need their additional manpower to help hold the line as the front expands.
    Believe, Ob-hey give me back my Kinder Sorpresa! Fight!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast