• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Italy has a natural Axis alignment and due to having a fascist government it has a natural drift towards the Axis camp. Its initial border with France will delay its drift into the Axis camp, but once Austria goes this will be cancelled out. Essentially if the Allies want to keep Italy out of the Axis camp they will have to move early and aggressively.

If I understand right, the size of the neighbor does not have any influence how much a country drifts, is this correct understanding? And what about things like BB value or my relation to this neighbor or fraction? Does this influence the drift?

maybe thats the difference between "offer alliance" and invite to faction

could be, so invite to faction allows you to pick which wars you join

An Alliance is just an alliance between two countries, say France and Romania, it goes no further than that. A faction is something like the Axis with a multiple members and special powers if you are a member of it.

An Alliance is just an alliance between two countries, say France and Romania, it goes no further than that. A faction is something like the Axis with a multiple members and special powers if you are a member of it.

So England and the Soviet Union can be allied after 1941, without being in the same faction, fun :)

Who in their right mind would join in on the Japanese limited war against the USA as Germany though? :rofl:

So, every Faction will have its own "special powers"?

Yes, as a member of the Axis you get the ability to wage a limited war without your allies interfering. Members of Comintern do not have to pay money to trabuy resources off each other (that was mentioned back in Liepzig), there are more but I amn't telling.

Interesting!

Will the likely outcome of the war influence the choices the nations do? I'm thinking about events like the number of fascist and/or dictatorships that joined the allied in 44/45?

Will a perceived victory have a influence on the gravity of this national "drift"?
Here I think about the east European nations joining the axis in 40/41/42?

Sounds good, so playing Japan i won't have to do Allies + soviets first when Joining the axis, i can join the axis before Barbarossa not join in that limited war and the DOW the US or declare a limited war.

So England and the Soviet Union can be allied after 1941, without being in the same faction, fun :)

Who in their right mind would join in on the Japanese limited war against the USA as Germany though? :rofl:

Japan wouldn't declare a limited war on the US:rofl:

Yes, as a member of the Axis you get the ability to wage a limited war without your allies interfering. Members of Comintern do not have to pay money to trabuy resources off each other (that was mentioned back in Liepzig), there are more but I amn't telling.

hmm... tech sharing, unit/equipment sale, trade deals, exp. forces, intelligence sharing, military access, to name a few?

Will we see the position of a country in the triangle also as some figures somewhere? I just thinking of 80 out of 150 countries concentrated in one place in the triangle... how will I find it?

hmm... tech sharing, unit/equipment sale, trade deals, exp. forces, intelligence sharing, military access, to name a few?

you'd expect all of those to be available to all alliances though.

Well, if you like some naval action, joining as Germany might be nice :eek:
It might however happen that the US decides to join the Allies and declares war on you, i think.

you'd expect all of those to be available to all alliances though.

Maybe, but what would the point of being in the faction be, if all these options were available with a lesser alliance?

This all sounds great.

But, not to ruin everyone's fun or anything, wasn't the idea for Hearts of Iron 3 to minimize hardcoding??? Are those factional special powers moddable/removable? I like the ideas, though.

Also, echoing Bullfrog here...where are all those options? Weapon sales? Expeditionary forces? Etc.? I know it's early, I just want to voice the concern before it gets set in stone and we lose those forever. Although exp. forces could easily be handled in the main interface.

I don't think they should be restricted to factions either. That just doesn't make any sense at all.

EDIT: In general, we seem to be missing the Open Negotiations button from HoI2, which is quite odd. How can we trade provinces to other countries, etc.?

EDIT: Romania is Communist in 1936? :eek:o Look at the coat of arms on the flag...

Last edited:
  • If you were like an Italian Dictator and wanted to say conquer Greece on your own without any help from your allies you would do something like this.
  • If Germany were to say declare a limited war against the Soviet Union then each Axis member would need to decide if they wanted to join the limited war giving a staggered entry into the war and some (say Bulgaria) not bothering at all.

I'm a bit confused. The first point makes it sound like your allies are not called in a limited war, but the 2nd point says they can decide to join. Could you clarify?

Is it like:
Normal war - ITA DoWs GRE, all axis members are now at war with GRE.
Limited War - ITA DoLWs GRE, all axis members get a message saying "ITA is attacking GRE, do you want to join?"

Or is it:
Limited War - ITA DoLWs GRE. Axis members are not asked to join, but might decide to declare their own limited war to grab a piece of the action.

I'm a bit confused. The first point makes it sound like your allies are not called in a limited war, but the 2nd point says they can decide to join. Could you clarify?

Is it like:
Normal war - ITA DoWs GRE, all axis members are now at war with GRE.
Limited War - ITA DoLWs GRE, all axis members get a message saying "ITA is attacking GRE, do you want to join?"

Or is it:
Limited War - ITA DoLWs GRE. Axis members are not asked to join, but might decide to declare their own limited war to grab a piece of the action.

Last one, ITA starts its own private little war, but the others can now pitch in.

Or is it:

I think it is rather the first way. I could also imagine that you select GRE and get the diplomatic option "join war against GRE"

edit:
too slow :/
How will joining in exactly happend? Declare war on your own (with dissent hit) or just join (maybe without dissent hit)?