• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Impressive!

It just keeps getting better and better, HOI3 is looking very refined! (3rd time lucky)

We still have about 30 more DD's to go, what else have you guys got up your sleeves. :D

Pretty cool way of dealing with the commonwealth as well.

Liepzig.... Trade show? Is there some sort of interview/review posted here I havent seen?

Surely only the leader of an alliance (that would be Germany, then) should be able to declare a non-limited war - otherwise an Axis minor might suddenly declare war on someone and force the whole alliance into a war that the rest don't want to be in.

IMO they should be, over territorial claims and such. Also because of threat, as in HoI2 because of belligerence. It was possible to attack innocent countries as the British or the US in HoI2 simply by manipulating belligerence, which is still probably present as a tool in HoI3.

In any case, I don't subscribe to the thesis of democracies not making war against democracies...especially as the British almost invaded Norway historically.

I have a question regarding limited vs total war.

I am Germany, I want to invade the SU, I am allied with Japan, Italy, Rumania, Slovakia, and Hungary

why should I decide to go for limited war instead of total war? it is not in the best interest for Japan to be dragged into a war with the SU, but I am Germany, it is actually a very good deal for me to force Japan to attack the Soviets and divert at least some divisions to the far east.

Kind of make sense for the AI, but a human player should almost always force all the allies to join if fighting vs a challenging opponent, when you are bullying a very small country (picture Italy vs Ethiopia or SU vs baltic states) limited war might be OK.

That unless there are some penalties to total war.

Just a thought, thanks

Don't think it was in the videos that were posted by visitors, or mentioned anywhere else, though, so it's new for people who haven't physically been in Leipzig :D Thanks :D

IIRC it was mentioned, but the videos were very poor quality and you often could hardly hear Johan. I think you are right, it is like EUIII/EUR Stability, and there will no longer be Dissent. If so - fantastic I never liked that people didn't get enough consumers goods so they would go on strike, carry out sabotage, etc. Far too simplistic. Plenty of rebels have been perfectly well-off, and plenty of poor downtrodden people just put up with their lot and get on with it, especially in a War.

IIRC it was mentioned, but the videos were very poor quality and you often could hardly hear Johan. I think you are right, it is like EUIII/EUR Stability, and there will no longer be Dissent. If so - fantastic I never liked that people didn't get enough consumers goods so they would go on strike, carry out sabotage, etc. Far too simplistic. Plenty of rebels have been perfectly well-off, and plenty of poor downtrodden people just put up with their lot and get on with it, especially in a War.

Hmm, I doubt that. First of all, Dissent is still definitely there. Look at any screenshot - it's right up there (the little flame icon). Now, the thing to the right of is probably National Unity (which makes sense - it's high and positive, while Dissent is low).*

Hmm, did I just emu potski? :D

* While the icon looks as if it has something to do with this diplomatic triangle thing, the fact that it's just one number should convince anyone that it cannot indicate anything directly with respect to the factional stance of the country. The reason it looks that way is probably because, well, the less National Unity you have, the more your country is being torn apart by factional partisans in the government.

I am Germany, I want to invade the SU, I am allied with Japan, Italy, Rumania, Slovakia, and Hungary

why should I decide to go for limited war instead of total war? it is not in the best interest for Japan to be dragged into a war with the SU, but I am Germany, it is actually a very good deal for me to force Japan to attack the Soviets and divert at least some divisions to the far east.

Kind of make sense for the AI, but a human player should almost always force all the allies to join if fighting vs a challenging opponent, when you are bullying a very small country (picture Italy vs Ethiopia or SU vs baltic states) limited war might be OK.

Just a thought, thanks

Looking at the tabs in the screen shot, you have an option to join an alliance and to join a faction. If Japan joins your alliance then I guess you would force her into war as you describe. If however she just joins your faction though then maybe she would stay out of that conflict.

Thats my guess anyway.

I am Germany, I want to invade the SU, I am allied with Japan, Italy, Rumania, Slovakia, and Hungary why should I decide to go for limited war instead of total war? it is not in the best interest for Japan to be dragged into a war with the SU, but I am Germany, it is actually a very good deal for me to force Japan to attack the Soviets and divert at least some divisions to the far east.

I agree. War with soviets was a total war agains bolsheviks.
And as I asked before: If you start a limited war and after some time want some help from your aliance then it should also be possible.

Looking at the tabs in the screen shot, you have an option to join an alliance and to join a faction. If Japan joins your alliance then I guess you would force her into war as you describe. If however she just joins your faction though then maybe she would stay out of that conflict.
Thats my guess anyway.

That is also an important question and i would like to know how it works.

I dunno, I could see missions working. "Take Stalingrad", "No retreat", "Defend Singapore" etc
There was talk about victory conditions earlier ("get 10 out of 15 and you win!"), I guess that is as far as mission stuff goes in HoI 3. I fear that real EU3 style missions would do more harm than good in HoI anyway.

I see reasons for a human player to use Limited War now, thinking about the Germany-Japan situation (you don't want Sudden Death for Japan because their whole army gets eaten by the Soviet Far Eastern Front in Manchuria). I hope the AI knows that too (so, for example, Bulgaria could historically opt out of war with the Soviets - I'm VERY glad King mentioned that they thought of that...).

In connection with this, I imagine that all this ideologically-inspired warfare has quite a few repercussions on internal politics, even beyond National Unity...for example, Bulgaria, a country with low National Unity, and a well-organized Communist Party joining the war against Comintern could result in a massive upsurge of terrorist activity by the Communists, perhaps even precipitating a revolution. Which would give Bulgaria a reason to stay away from the anti-Bolshevik crusade.

Last edited:
I see reasons for a human player to use Limited War now, thinking about the Germany-Japan situation (you don't want Sudden Death for Japan because their whole army gets eaten by the Soviet Far Eastern Front in Manchuria). I hope the AI knows that too (so, for example, Bulgaria could historically opt out of war with the Soviets - I'm VERY glad King mentioned that they thought of that...).

Yes, I hope countries now have a choice of being dragged into a war or not taking Bulgaria as a historical example.

Edit: and as mentioned before shouldn't all factions have the option to engage in a limited war? I was sort of hoping that limited war would be something where a country can fight wihtout getting meddled in unnecessary wars like Soviet invasion of Poland (instead of event that automatically transfers eastern territories to Soviets).

That is their problem... :)

I will be the master of Europe by 1942, with enough IC to slowly start building a fleet to challenge the Americans by 1945/ 1946
I just hope that the AI and game engine will not allow u to do it :rofl: