+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Development Diary #12 - 14th of January 2009

Second Lieutenant
    A Game of DwarvesCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasEuropa Universalis 3
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneLeviathan: WarshipsMagickaMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Rome GoldSemper FiSengokuSword of the Stars IIThe Showdown Effect
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the Arcane
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the RosesEuropa Universalis IV

Quote Originally Posted by Johan View Post
    Italy has a natural Axis alignment and due to having a fascist government it has a natural drift towards the Axis camp. Its initial border with France will delay its drift into the Axis camp, but once Austria goes this will be cancelled out. Essentially if the Allies want to keep Italy out of the Axis camp they will have to move early and aggressively.
    If I understand right, the size of the neighbor does not have any influence how much a country drifts, is this correct understanding? And what about things like BB value or my relation to this neighbor or fraction? Does this influence the drift?
    Player of EU 1, EU 2, EU 3 ... Victoria ... Crusader King ... HOI 1, HOI 2, HOI 3 ... all of them incl. the expansions...!

200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultDiplomacy
    Divine WindHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMagicka
    Majesty 2EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband

Quote Originally Posted by Kodos666 View Post
    maybe thats the difference between "offer alliance" and invite to faction
    could be, so invite to faction allows you to pick which wars you join
    Markusw7 I'm so powerful i made Paris Hilton a productive member of society.
    Scipio Aemilius *Bows in reverence and admiration*

200k clubCrusader Kings IIDeus VultDivine WindVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeSengokuVictoria 2

An Alliance is just an alliance between two countries, say France and Romania, it goes no further than that. A faction is something like the Axis with a multiple members and special powers if you are a member of it.
    Nostalgia is not as good as it used to be

Jackals! Vultures! Lord Finnish's Avatar
    Arsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneSemper FiVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: Warband500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Blog Entries
    So this means that Finland will fight a seperate war against USSR?

Cool
    Mod:
    Byzantium - Imperial Restoration for Darkest Hour
    Empire of Pohjola for Crusader Kings II
    Wilhelm Scream for Crusader Kings II

AAR:
    The Nazi Time Machine - A Strange Story of the First Reich (CK2) Dead due to save game corruption. Will restart eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by King View Post
    An Alliance is just an alliance between two countries, say France and Romania, it goes no further than that. A faction is something like the Axis with a multiple members and special powers if you are a member of it.
    So, every Faction will have its own "special powers"?

So England and the Soviet Union can be allied after 1941, without being in the same faction, fun

Who in their right mind would join in on the Japanese limited war against the USA as Germany though?

Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattvas View Post
    So, every Faction will have its own "special powers"?
    Yes, as a member of the Axis you get the ability to wage a limited war without your allies interfering. Members of Comintern do not have to pay money to trabuy resources off each other (that was mentioned back in Liepzig), there are more but I amn't telling.

200k clubAchtung PanzerHoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: Armageddon
    Darkest HourEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandGalactic Assault
    Hearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    Iron CrossMarch of the EaglesRome GoldSemper FiVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedEU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k club

Interesting!

Will the likely outcome of the war influence the choices the nations do? I'm thinking about events like the number of fascist and/or dictatorships that joined the allied in 44/45?

Will a perceived victory have a influence on the gravity of this national "drift"?
    Here I think about the east European nations joining the axis in 40/41/42?
    "Sturm, Schwung, Wucht"
    "Cry ‘Havoc!' and let slip the dogs of war." - Shakespeare, Julius Caesar Act III Scene I

amg! *falls off the chair* Allignment sounded like a good descision.

Reichsmarschall Paradox Dev Team Darkrenown's Avatar
    200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDeus VultEast India CompanyEuropa Universalis 3
    Europa Universalis: ChroniclesDivine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    Hearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineLost Empire - Immortals
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengokuShip Simulator Extremes
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis

Quote Originally Posted by Baneslave View Post
    Decisions?
    Yeah, looks like decisons to me.
    Relentless madman.

Divine WindHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMagicka
    Majesty 2EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband

Sounds good, so playing Japan i won't have to do Allies + soviets first when Joining the axis, i can join the axis before Barbarossa not join in that limited war and the DOW the US or declare a limited war.

Quote Originally Posted by zeekater View Post
    So England and the Soviet Union can be allied after 1941, without being in the same faction, fun

Who in their right mind would join in on the Japanese limited war against the USA as Germany though?
    Japan wouldn't declare a limited war on the US

General der Tso's Chicken Bullfrog's Avatar
    200k clubArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourVictoria: RevolutionsSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Yes, as a member of the Axis you get the ability to wage a limited war without your allies interfering. Members of Comintern do not have to pay money to trabuy resources off each other (that was mentioned back in Liepzig), there are more but I amn't telling.
    hmm... tech sharing, unit/equipment sale, trade deals, exp. forces, intelligence sharing, military access, to name a few?
    "We’ve been looking for the enemy for several days now. We’ve finally found them. We are surrounded. That simplifies the problem of getting to these people and killing them."
    -Lewis "Chesty" Puller, USMC

Non compost mentis

Second Lieutenant
    A Game of DwarvesCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasEuropa Universalis 3
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneLeviathan: WarshipsMagickaMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Rome GoldSemper FiSengokuSword of the Stars IIThe Showdown Effect
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the Arcane
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the RosesEuropa Universalis IV

Will we see the position of a country in the triangle also as some figures somewhere? I just thinking of 80 out of 150 countries concentrated in one place in the triangle... how will I find it?
    Player of EU 1, EU 2, EU 3 ... Victoria ... Crusader King ... HOI 1, HOI 2, HOI 3 ... all of them incl. the expansions...!

Quote Originally Posted by Bullfrog View Post
    hmm... tech sharing, unit/equipment sale, trade deals, exp. forces, intelligence sharing, military access, to name a few?
    you'd expect all of those to be available to all alliances though.

Quote Originally Posted by zeekater View Post
    Well, if you like some naval action, joining as Germany might be nice
    It might however happen that the US decides to join the Allies and declares war on you, i think.
    A comparison of CAs, BBs and SHBBs

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

General der Tso's Chicken Bullfrog's Avatar
    200k clubArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourVictoria: RevolutionsSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by Markusw7 View Post
    you'd expect all of those to be available to all alliances though.
    Maybe, but what would the point of being in the faction be, if all these options were available with a lesser alliance?
    "We’ve been looking for the enemy for several days now. We’ve finally found them. We are surrounded. That simplifies the problem of getting to these people and killing them."
    -Lewis "Chesty" Puller, USMC

Non compost mentis

Philosopher of the Future Alexander Seil's Avatar
    Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Hearts of Iron IIIVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeSemper FiRome: Vae Victis

This all sounds great.

But, not to ruin everyone's fun or anything, wasn't the idea for Hearts of Iron 3 to minimize hardcoding??? Are those factional special powers moddable/removable? I like the ideas, though.

Also, echoing Bullfrog here...where are all those options? Weapon sales? Expeditionary forces? Etc.? I know it's early, I just want to voice the concern before it gets set in stone and we lose those forever. Although exp. forces could easily be handled in the main interface.

I don't think they should be restricted to factions either. That just doesn't make any sense at all.

EDIT: In general, we seem to be missing the Open Negotiations button from HoI2, which is quite odd. How can we trade provinces to other countries, etc.?

EDIT: Romania is Communist in 1936? Look at the coat of arms on the flag...
    Last edited by Alexander Seil; 14-01-2009 at 15:22.

Reichsmarschall Paradox Dev Team Darkrenown's Avatar
    200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDeus VultEast India CompanyEuropa Universalis 3
    Europa Universalis: ChroniclesDivine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    Hearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineLost Empire - Immortals
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengokuShip Simulator Extremes
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis

• If you were like an Italian Dictator and wanted to say conquer Greece on your own without any help from your allies you would do something like this.
    • If Germany were to say declare a limited war against the Soviet Union then each Axis member would need to decide if they wanted to join the limited war giving a staggered entry into the war and some (say Bulgaria) not bothering at all.
    I'm a bit confused. The first point makes it sound like your allies are not called in a limited war, but the 2nd point says they can decide to join. Could you clarify?

Is it like:
    Normal war - ITA DoWs GRE, all axis members are now at war with GRE.
    Limited War - ITA DoLWs GRE, all axis members get a message saying "ITA is attacking GRE, do you want to join?"

Or is it:
    Limited War - ITA DoLWs GRE. Axis members are not asked to join, but might decide to declare their own limited war to grab a piece of the action.
    Relentless madman.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkrenown View Post
    I'm a bit confused. The first point makes it sound like your allies are not called in a limited war, but the 2nd point says they can decide to join. Could you clarify?

Is it like:
    Normal war - ITA DoWs GRE, all axis members are now at war with GRE.
    Limited War - ITA DoLWs GRE, all axis members get a message saying "ITA is attacking GRE, do you want to join?"

Or is it:
    Limited War - ITA DoLWs GRE. Axis members are not asked to join, but might decide to declare their own limited war to grab a piece of the action.
    Last one, ITA starts its own private little war, but the others can now pitch in.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkrenown View Post

Or is it:
    I think it is rather the first way. I could also imagine that you select GRE and get the diplomatic option "join war against GRE"

edit:
    too slow :/
    How will joining in exactly happend? Declare war on your own (with dissent hit) or just join (maybe without dissent hit)?
    A comparison of CAs, BBs and SHBBs

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast