Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: How to Search the Paradox Forums !!!***!!!***!!!

How to Search the Paradox Forums !!!***!!!***!!!

I often see laments of "if only the search function was up" or "well if they had a search for the forums...." etc.

OK, here is how to search the paradox forums.

Open a browser. Go to www.google.com.
    Put this as your first search term: "site:forum.paradoxplaza.com" then put in your search terms.

For instance to find an AAR for HOI2: Doomsday that mentions Bhutan click here: google search example

Crusader Kings IIVictoria 2Mount & Blade: WarbandEU3 Collectors EditionEuropa Universalis IV

I had completely forgotton that Search Engines can help with that.

Thanks sneezinglion!
    "Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head."
    - Euripides

"The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."
    -Thucydides

I am actually of the opinion that a post like this one should be stickied in every sub forum on this entire site, just to help people out. That is the #1 complaint I see regarding the forum itself.

google doesn't index new threads daily though..
    VENI VIDI VICI

7/9/2006. Italy Football World Champion in Berlin. 4th time in history.

Star Swirl the Bearded Baneslave's Avatar
    HoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDarkest Hour
    Deus VultEuropa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The Glory
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneLeviathan: Warships
    The Kings CrusadeMagickaMajesty 2March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeRome GoldSemper FiSengoku
    Supreme Ruler 2020 GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis
    Mount & Blade: WarbandRise of PrussiaCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by sneezinglion
    I am actually of the opinion that a post like this one should be stickied in every sub forum on this entire site, just to help people out. That is the #1 complaint I see regarding the forum itself.
    Yep, then we could at least say this: "Read the damn stickies!"

Google doesn't do a good job indexing this site. I can never find what I want using it here. It must be the way this forum is set up.

HoI AnthologyEuropa Universalis 3Hearts of Iron III

And to make it slightly easier to search using Google I made a customized version for Paradox related material.
    You find it here

200k clubHoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings II
    Darkest HourDeus VultEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessEU3 Collectors Edition500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica

Quote Originally Posted by Reuel
    Google doesn't do a good job indexing this site. I can never find what I want using it here. It must be the way this forum is set up.
    Indeed, I have done many searches using google for threads that definitely exist and it doesn't find them. I end up going through 50+ pages of threads on the forum to find them. And of course google doesn't allow you to restrict your search to specific subforums or specific users. It is nowhere near a replacement for a real forum search function.
    "The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all." --H. L. Mencken

Playing EU4

Download the Fix-it-Yourself Pack for HoI 1.06c (updated 11/14/05)
    Download the Unofficial fixpack for EU3 4.1b 4/29 beta or final 11/24 patch (updated 12/25/10)
    Download the text fixpack for EU3 Divine Wind (updated 2/11/11)

It is better than nothing.

On thing you can do is add a date range to the query like for instance to see only threads from April 2007 add something like this to your search:
    (*-04-2007)
    Keep the parenthesis.

here is a complete search for post regarding regimental camps from March 2007:
    site:forum.paradoxplaza.com EU3 regimental camp (*-03-2007)

Really searching with google is an art.

Remember the order of your search terms matters and so does the choice of terms.

Another caveat: 10 word limit. Google will ignore the 11th or greater search term.

Remember that putting a minus sign(-) in front of a search term will remove that from the results.....so let's say I wanted all the threads that mention ming and japan I might try:
    site:forum.paradoxplaza.com EU3 ming japan
    this gives 158 results(now)
    some of the results are from the HOI2:doomsday forum!
    so:
    site:forum.paradoxplaza.com EU3 ming japan -doomsday
    19 results! much better!

I find it to be very useful, but not perfect. It can definitely help find that AAR that you can't remember the name for......

also doubling up on words can change the results:
    site:forum.paradoxplaza.com EU3 ming japan -doomsday ming
    124 results???? more results than the last one!

BTW: thanks to the mods for stickying this!

Eternal leader of all Ducks The Great Duck's Avatar

Shouldn't this be in the OT?
    LONG LIVE CROATIA
    Nationality: Croat
    Religion: Agnostic/Catholic
    Ideology: Conservative
    Issues: Moralism/Jingoism
    Mods and projects that need your attention:Modern Day Scenario-Cold War-Kaiserreich-1914-Mod33-E3 Project-Whites and Reds-Arms and Amistice
    Support the Unified HoI3 historical mod initiative!-Wote for my AAR in the HOI3 AAR contest!
    Me on Youtube
    The new leader of mankind!

Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessEU3 Collectors Edition

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by The Great Duck
    Not everyone can access the OT forum, especially not the guests.
    I had a dream, inside a dream
    I woke so many times

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepyhead
    Not everyone can access the OT forum, especially not the guests.
    AFAIK,anyone who has registered can see OT.
    LONG LIVE CROATIA
    Mods and projects that need your attention:Modern Day Scenario-Cold War-Kaiserreich-1914-Mod33-E3 Project-Whites and Reds-Arms and Amistice
    Support the Unified HoI3 historical mod initiative!-Wote for my AAR in the HOI3 AAR contest!
    Me on Youtube

Deputy Citizen Commisar Dr. Zoidberg's Avatar
    200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineLegioEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeSupreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

It won't work with the OT forum anyway. So better to have it where it's actually needed...
    Hono(u)rary Texan

"As a matter of fact, I swallowed one of these about 3 hours ago. The explanation is, that it is infact, my hand"

EU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne

Alot of people are banned from OT.

200k clubHoI AnthologyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus Vult
    Europa Universalis 3Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeRome GoldVictoria 2V2 BetaCK2: Holy Knight
    Hoi 2 BetaEU3 Collectors Edition500k club

No, the question keeps popping up here.

Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessEU3 Collectors Edition

Blog Entries
    Nope, I think they'll have to wait some months. At least that's how it used to work.
    I had a dream, inside a dream
    I woke so many times

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepyhead
    Nope, I think they'll have to wait some months. At least that's how it used to work.
    When you join,you have read-access to OT,but you must wait for a certain amount of time or you must post a certain number of posts to post in it.
    LONG LIVE CROATIA
    Me on Youtube

Deus VultEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: Rome

When you join,you have read-access to OT,but you must wait for a certain amount of time or you must post a certain number of posts to post in it.

When was that policy instituted? I had OT access from the start when I registered.
    Currently playing:
    EUIII (IN)
    CK (DV)
    EU:Rome

"The Assyrian program of exterminating various ethnic groups generally failed to promote cultural diversity."

"...we must also hope...that history will have compassion in judging our mistakes, and for that reason we must try not to judge too harshly the mistakes of the generation before us." Bill James

200k clubHoI AnthologyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus Vult
    Europa Universalis 3Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeRome GoldVictoria 2V2 BetaCK2: Holy Knight
    Hoi 2 BetaEU3 Collectors Edition500k club

Quote Originally Posted by DPS
    When was that policy instituted? I had OT access from the start when I registered.
    Probably after you registered

Im wondering what happened to the search function that was here the day of the server upgrade not too long ago, but was then removed.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast