+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11

Thread: Development Diary #11 - 7th of January 2009

Quote Originally Posted by bibouba View Post
    I can see that you have put a port in Flander. It's nice that you read the post and take into account what gamers can expect for the game.

Thanx for the belgium port.
    I'm 100% sure that they put it because they were about to do that anyway. Not because some people cried out loud about it.

Euro-centric Diplomat Negru Voda's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3For the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourMagickaSemper FiVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness500k club

Goovy

Finally the radar getting the attention it deserves

Looking forward to hearing about Diplomacy, and Espionage missions
    ~My old signature took up too much space, so I made this one.

~P.S: You're wonderful.

Achtung PanzerFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper Fi
    SengokuRome: Vae Victis

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Seil View Post
    When was a whole infantry division EVER hidden in a jungle for an ambush? This isn't the war in Vietnam...

Seriously, I dare to give me a single example of where a whole regular division (or generally a formation of at least 10,000 people) was hiding in a forest waiting to ambush someone, in the 1936-1945 period. You get a personalized Alexander Seil cookie if you can find one.
    What about operation Wacht am Rhein?

500,000 Germans hid in a forest and attacked the Allies with complete surprise.

Euro-centric Diplomat Negru Voda's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3For the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourMagickaSemper FiVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness500k club

The Allies were thinking along Seil's line of thought.. ) never expected 10.000 to be hiding in there, let alone 500.000 :P
    ~My old signature took up too much space, so I made this one.

~P.S: You're wonderful.

If you spot a fixed installation like an airbase, I hope that will not go away from your map if your intelligence level on the province decreases. It would be very annoying if you had to keep notes on paper with that many provinces.

I wonder, will I see intelligence of my allies?
    F.e. It's year 1942 I play as Canada and i haven't got any spy in Germany. Anyway i will see that what see GB and USA (who have f.e 5 spies in Germany)

Impossible? A Challenge! jorian's Avatar
    Deus VultEuropa Universalis 3EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: Rome

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Silion View Post
    Yes, the AI interests me aswell
    "Maps are cool, everybody loves maps!" - Johan

200k clubHoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDarkest Hour
    Europa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteHearts of Iron IIIIron CrossSemper Fi
    Rome: Vae Victis

Quote Originally Posted by Silion View Post
    It would be very fine to have an half working us KI like with DAIM, but also this is not enough.
    ----------------------------------------------------

Second Lieutenant Dr Bloodmoney's Avatar

This means there must be a new stat (something like electronic noise of a unit or an object). Is that moddable?
    P.S.
    If it's mentioned before I'm sorry but I simply don't have time to read every comment.
    Member of the ahistoric association

Heading to the DANGER ZONE... Wraith11B's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMagickaSemper FiSword of the Stars
    Sword of the Stars IIVictoria 2500k club

Something that I've noticed that I would assume that is not at all in HOI3 that I've picked up from my reread of "Panzer Battles" by MG F.W. von Mellenthin:

During many of the battles on the Soviet front, the Germans used complete radio silence: orders up and down the chain were given in person, and it caught the Soviets by complete tactical and strategic surprise everytime. The Germans were pros at the radio silence, and there are plenty of examples of radio silence allowing for both surprise or disaster.

Would that be in the game?

Could be a battle event?

For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIISemper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by zeekater View Post
    Could be a battle event?
    Yeah I like it, what leadership traits would apply - Panzer Leader...others?
    What technologies/doctrines would apply?

Heading to the DANGER ZONE... Wraith11B's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMagickaSemper FiSword of the Stars
    Sword of the Stars IIVictoria 2500k club

I would think that it would be something that you could select when initiating combat, which would also work in MP, but the sword cuts both ways: when an army goes silent, something's up; which causes people to go !!!, ya know?

200k clubAchtung PanzerArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in Motion
    Cities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMagickaMajesty 2
    Victoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper FiSword of the StarsSword of the Stars II
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedCK2: Holy Knight500k club

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith11B View Post
    During many of the battles on the Soviet front, the Germans used complete radio silence: orders up and down the chain were given in person, and it caught the Soviets by complete tactical and strategic surprise everytime. The Germans were pros at the radio silence, and there are plenty of examples of radio silence allowing for both surprise or disaster.

Would that be in the game?
    That would be totally awesome, perhaps as an option button click to "Use radio silence"

# Invisible to SIGINT.
    # New orders take 24hours to have effect. (Retreat orders too!!!)
    # Increase the magnitude of both friendly and enemy combat events by X% or casualties of both sides by Y%.

Perhaps even link some doctrine techs to it.

Imagine the disasters possible of two divisions stumbling onto eachother under radio silence ^^
    "A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week." - Patton

Hearts of Iron IIIEuropa Universalis: RomeRome: Vae Victis

I think radar stations and Signet should be two different things.
    No icon representation of intelligence. The Intel view should be abstract and not represented on the board as a radar station. The view should be based upon your research skill level and spy network along with the HQ units and Divisional commanders.

The map is great but the view shouldn't be based upon an immovable icon on the map.

I don't think AA radar stations should be detectable by the other player until they reach a certain level of intelligence. We don't want a player bombing the hell out of infrastructure causing the opponent to go blind.

The radar should be destroyed when taking over a province.

The suggestion of a separate signet unit is very intriguing. I could go for that, but...it has been mentioned that only the Germans used it, while the allies relied upon the cracking the egnima code.
    Last edited by GLENN; 09-03-2009 at 16:01.

Second Lieutenant Dr Bloodmoney's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_brunius View Post
    That would be totally awesome, perhaps as an option button click to "Use radio silence"

# Invisible to SIGINT.
    # New orders take 24hours to have effect. (Retreat orders too!!!)
    # Increase the magnitude of both friendly and enemy combat events by X% or casualties of both sides by Y%.

Perhaps even link some doctrine techs to it.

Imagine the disasters possible of two divisions stumbling onto eachother under radio silence ^^
    Nah, you should get surprise effect which IMHO exists in HoI2 and a drop in unit organization
    Member of the ahistoric association

This looks very nice!

However, I hope you will have a good way for the AI to factor in the unknown. Since the information it receives with this system is always about a subset of the actual strength, taken at face value it can lead to an overly optimistic AI.

Maybe there could also be a mechanism for estimating the total strength of an adversary, and then, indirectly, how much is being overlooked? If you know that in addition to an HQ in Dover there are 100 divisions with unknown locations, it is a bigger headache than if you only lost track of 10...

It would be very usefull to be able to Strat Redeploy those radars.
    "No advertising in signatures." - BiB

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11